Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,500 members, 7,819,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) (2211 Views)

5 Years No Admission: Depression Is Taking Over Me / I Wrote UTME 12 Times Before Gaining Admission - OAU Fresher / Provost Of Health Sciences Oau Gives Reasons Why Mrs Aror Wasnt Admitted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by DonLo: 8:02pm On Dec 22, 2016
My name is Adesegun Fatusi, and I am the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, OAU, Ile-Ife. The case of the Aror Oghenerukewve has just been brought to my notice. To throw more light on her case, I will present the detaild fact here.

With a score of 320, her mark from UTME amounts to 80% (i.e. 320/400 x 100)
Her school cert results are: English A1 (=8 marks); Biology C4 (=5 marks); Chemistry B3 (=6 marks); Maths B3 (=6 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Further Maths B2 (=7marks), and Civic Educ A1 (=8 marks). That gives her 45 points, or 70.3% (i.e. 44/64x100)

So her overall average - as OAU did a combination of 50% mark from JAMB and 50% mark from School Cert - is: (80+70.3)=75.15% (which we rounded up to 75.2%).

With that mark, she ranks number 103 on the list of the students who took Medicine as first Choice.

The total admission quota for Medicine in OAU is 100, and that includes UTME and Direct Entry).

Clearly although Aror did well, her mark was NOT good enough to earn her admission on merit to read Medicine in Ife. Her mark of 75.2% is clearly below our cut-off mark (which was initially 78%, but we later reduced to 77.7%). Between her mark of 75.2% and 77.7%, by the way, there were 56 other candidates who scored higher than her but did not make the cut-off. For example, two people had 77.6%, two other people had 77.5%, four people had 77.4% etc

Having presented the detailed facts about Aror's case, let me also help the many young Nigerians who may be accessing this site with more information on admission as I see a lot of misrepresentation, falsehood, and misunderstanding from the comments that various people had made on this case.

1. Admission into Nigerian Universities are considered on three grounds based on the nationally specified criteria (which I think ought to be reviewed now, by the way):
A. Merit =45% (This covers all candidates from the country - and it is automatic admission once you meet the cut-off mark)
B. Catchment = 35% (this refers to those in the states specified as catchment area for each University: For OAU, that is Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti)
C. Educationally disadvantaged states (ELDS)=20% = This refers to all the 19 Northern States, and Ebonyi, Rivers and Bayelsa.

So, someone from Delta such as Aror with 75.2% will not get admission into Medicine in OAU automatically as she is only considered on merit criterion and she does NOT meet the specified cut-off, but someone with the same mark from Kwara (which is in the North Central zone) may get automatic admission with the same mark based on the consideration of ELDS if 75.2% is the specified cut-off for ELDS for Medicine.

2. When a candidate chooses a highly competitive course like Medicine in a top-rated University like OAU, the competition is very intense. Believe it or not, many of the candidates that made our merit mark had an average of six A1s in school cert coupled with very high UTME mark (above 300). So, a candidate must carefully think over his choice of course and university. For example, if Aror had chosen ANY other course as her first choice for OAU, whe would have made the merit mark and gotten automatic admission, and she would have made the merit mark for Medicine on merit for most Nigerian universities too (but NOT OAU unfortunately).

3. Because of the high demand and competition for very limited spaces, the College of Health Sciences does not consider second choices as a general rule. OAU, for example, was only able to offer admission on UTME platform (Merit + Catchment + ELDS) to less than 3% of her applicants for Medicine, and less than 2% of her applicants for Nursing Science this year.

4. For cases like Aror where the candidadte has made a high mark but does not make the cut-off, what the candidate can sometimes do is to come to the University and try and see if he or she can be considered for other courses. A candidadte DOES NOT get considered automatically for a course she has not applied to in JAMB. A candidadte is ONLY automatically considered for the course he or she has applied for with respect to a particular university.

Unfortunately, Aror has left her case too late as all admission lists have been submitted for this year.

Source: https://www.nairaland.com/3532584/girl-laments-over-inability-secure/4#52165447

https://www.nairaland.com/3532584/girl-laments-over-inability-secure/4#52166474

Donlo: I promised to contact him on the thread which I did. Funny enough the provost of Health Sciences has a nairaland account. He is a nairalander. Be careful who you bash grin

Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun, Fynestboi

Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by DonLo: 8:02pm On Dec 22, 2016
Lalasticlala come and push to frontpage.
Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by Sirpluv: 8:19pm On Dec 22, 2016
I see why i wasnt admitted even my high jamb score.

But someone with a much lower JAMB score is a fresher in the same school. . . .

Na God go judge them!
Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by DonLo: 8:22pm On Dec 22, 2016
Sirpluv:
I see why i wasnt admitted even my high jamb score.

But someone with a much lower JAMB score is a fresher in the same school. . . .

Na God go judge them!

You should be able to sense objectivity in his response and appreciate that. He won't cost him much if he had ignored it but he devoted his time to explain. I don't know of other departments but Medicine is almost always due to merit.

2 Likes

Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by Chibuhealth(f): 8:46pm On Dec 22, 2016
Education is underated in Nigeria
Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by EmmySparky(m): 9:24pm On Dec 22, 2016
Chibuhealth:
i beg to difer...its overrated
Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by Drdonzeez(m): 10:07pm On Dec 22, 2016
Chibuhealth:
the computer erroneously computed seven subjects instead of eight subjects ..Shame on the guy for not been observant enough.
Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by Drdonzeez(m): 10:09pm On Dec 22, 2016
DonLo:
My name is Adesegun Fatusi, and I am the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, OAU, Ile-Ife. The case of the Aror Oghenerukewve has just been brought to my notice. To throw more light on her case, I will present the detaild fact here.

With a score of 320, her mark from UTME amounts to 80% (i.e. 320/400 x 100)
Her school cert results are: English A1 (=8 marks); Biology C4 (=5 marks); Chemistry B3 (=6 marks); Maths B3 (=6 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Further Maths B2 (=7marks), and Civic Educ A1 (=8 marks). That gives her 45 points, or 70.3% (i.e. 44/64x100)

So her overall average - as OAU did a combination of 50% mark from JAMB and 50% mark from School Cert - is: (80+70.3)=75.15% (which we rounded up to 75.2%).

With that mark, she ranks number 103 on the list of the students who took Medicine as first Choice.

The total admission quota for Medicine in OAU is 100, and that includes UTME and Direct Entry).

Clearly although Aror did well, her mark was NOT good enough to earn her admission on merit to read Medicine in Ife. Her mark of 75.2% is clearly below our cut-off mark (which was initially 78%, but we later reduced to 77.7%). Between her mark of 75.2% and 77.7%, by the way, there were 56 other candidates who scored higher than her but did not make the cut-off. For example, two people had 77.6%, two other people had 77.5%, four people had 77.4% etc

Having presented the detailed facts about Aror's case, let me also help the many young Nigerians who may be accessing this site with more information on admission as I see a lot of misrepresentation, falsehood, and misunderstanding from the comments that various people had made on this case.

1. Admission into Nigerian Universities are considered on three grounds based on the nationally specified criteria (which I think ought to be reviewed now, by the way):
A. Merit =45% (This covers all candidates from the country - and it is automatic admission once you meet the cut-off mark)
B. Catchment = 35% (this refers to those in the states specified as catchment area for each University: For OAU, that is Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti)
C. Educationally disadvantaged states (ELDS)=20% = This refers to all the 19 Northern States, and Ebonyi, Rivers and Bayelsa.

So, someone from Delta such as Aror with 75.2% will not get admission into Medicine in OAU automatically as she is only considered on merit criterion and she does NOT meet the specified cut-off, but someone with the same mark from Kwara (which is in the North Central zone) may get automatic admission with the same mark based on the consideration of ELDS if 75.2% is the specified cut-off for ELDS for Medicine.

2. When a candidate chooses a highly competitive course like Medicine in a top-rated University like OAU, the competition is very intense. Believe it or not, many of the candidates that made our merit mark had an average of six A1s in school cert coupled with very high UTME mark (above 300). So, a candidate must carefully think over his choice of course and university. For example, if Aror had chosen ANY other course as her first choice for OAU, whe would have made the merit mark and gotten automatic admission, and she would have made the merit mark for Medicine on merit for most Nigerian universities too (but NOT OAU unfortunately).

3. Because of the high demand and competition for very limited spaces, the College of Health Sciences does not consider second choices as a general rule. OAU, for example, was only able to offer admission on UTME platform (Merit + Catchment + ELDS) to less than 3% of her applicants for Medicine, and less than 2% of her applicants for Nursing Science this year.

4. For cases like Aror where the candidadte has made a high mark but does not make the cut-off, what the candidate can sometimes do is to come to the University and try and see if he or she can be considered for other courses. A candidadte DOES NOT get considered automatically for a course she has not applied to in JAMB. A candidadte is ONLY automatically considered for the course he or she has applied for with respect to a particular university.

Unfortunately, Aror has left her case too late as all admission lists have been submitted for this year.

Source: https://www.nairaland.com/3532584/girl-laments-over-inability-secure/4#52165447

https://www.nairaland.com/3532584/girl-laments-over-inability-secure/4#52166474

Donlo: I promised to contact him on the thread which I did. Funny enough the provost of Health Sciences has a nairaland account. He is a nairalander. Be careful who you bash grin

Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Seun, Fynestboi

Sir,the system erroneously computed 7 subjects instead of eight for the guy..In your magnanimity, pls do something about it..The boy was not observant enough.
Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by DAramis: 10:18pm On Dec 22, 2016
With all due respect to the provost, I think he should have mentioned the names of the students he used as a case study and their jamb registration for easier verification by the girl.
Going by what he wrote, it only amount to words of mouth put in a written form which on a long run, might not sound convincing enough.
A pictorial evidence would have gone a long way to validate his /her claim... Going by the adage, that a picture is worth a thousand words.
Once more, I accord the provost all the respect he deserves, but I believe he should back it up with pictures considering that the girl in question uploaded his jamb result for easier verification.
Thanks.
Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by Fidelismaria: 10:57pm On Dec 22, 2016
ok
Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by Annancy(f): 11:10pm On Dec 22, 2016
ok
Re: UTME 320 Yet No Admission, OAU Provost Gives Explanation (With Picture) by PECng: 2:53pm On May 16, 2021
How CAPS Transfer Approval Works for OAU UTME and DE Aspirants
I need to open this one by first stating that if you have scored the high score in the UTME and in the Post-UTME, and you in fact have the “Eligible for Admission” on your slip, none of this equal “your admission is assured” in OAU; there is still something called the departmental cutoff that could screen you off even by a mark that’s only an infinitesimally small number higher than the aggregate score you have at hand (for instance, the merit cutoff for Estate Management this year is 52.7, unless the ELDS and Catchment Areas marks favour you, if you have 52, that 0.7 difference between your aggregate score and the merit cutoff mark could deny you of the admission, and that’s a number far lesser than 1). CONTINUE READING HERE>>>> https://www.pecngr.com/2021/05/how-caps-transfer-approval-works-for.html

(1) (Reply)

I Year Top-up Degree Program For Hnd Holders (business/management Courses) / Uniuyo Releases Second Batch Admission List - Check Here / Adeyemi Federal University Of Education Admission Info

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.