Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,189 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB (28707 Views)

Firdaouz Yusuff-Awari Denied Admission By University Of Ilorin After Scoring 300 / 16 Years Old Girl Denied Medicine Admission To ABU Scoring 320 In Jamb / God Has Given Me Admission After Eight Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Gordieshegz(m): 12:16pm On Dec 22, 2016
ogunboss:
Its OAU. I once heard from an admin staff that Deltans are rarely admitted because of some incident sometimes back allegedly masterminded my Delta state students. Trust me, she would have been admitted if not for that. And taking a look at it, I've never seen a Delta state student, all you see are PH people.

stop spewing rubbish online
FRANK is the course rep of part five medicine and he is a deltan by origin
why are people so sure of what they no nothing about these days?
hian

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by lilfresh185(m): 12:21pm On Dec 22, 2016
when you no write maths for jamb
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Mayour33(m): 12:21pm On Dec 22, 2016
onlyme07:

Sis,there was no post utme and you can read her statement "at least they should have given me a different course to acknowledge that I tried".

320 for Jamb no be beans oo,A1 for English and Maths no easy ma'am.

The person meant screening score
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Nobody: 12:29pm On Dec 22, 2016
Silentscreamer:
She didn't tell what she scored in post ume.. Post ume score is far more important than jamb score.
they don't write postume only your jamb and waec which makes her qualify.
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Mayour33(m): 12:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
Hazkel:

That's wrong, the school does not consider which courses you got the respective grade as long as your core courses are included in the ones you passed. During screening, OAU asked for eight best subjects, so they are going to use her 3 A1s, 1 B2, 3 B3s and 1 C4. That is how her 50% will be calculated, the subject the grade was gotten aside.

Check well and do your findings well, she did not meet the slated cut off mark
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Mayour33(m): 12:33pm On Dec 22, 2016
frankman365:

Even if she had c6 in all, the sch should have given her something. There are courses in education, agric and the pure sciences.

Don't jump into conclusions yet, IFE has not released all thier admission list yet.
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by kelzgie: 1:35pm On Dec 22, 2016
bastien:
That's Nigeria for u, some person go come hear talk say na because she come from delta state that's why OAU no give her admission.

And they expect more first class with all the olodos wey gain admission
Oga kip quiet.......der are piips with lower scores compared to that...and dey got admitted...so stop talking crap... She being a deltan is one if the reasons she wasn't called...OAU...sef na glorified sec..school
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by daneni1(m): 1:47pm On Dec 22, 2016
kstix:

Thats a lie. I went to ife and its a school that gives you ur choice of course if u pass d cut off mark. I wont deny some ppl gain admission through nepotism but Oau will give u ur course if there are no mistakes from ur side

Truth be told, I schooled in Oau and I never knew anyone when I was admitted in 2014 through direct entry.
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by mendelian(m): 2:01pm On Dec 22, 2016
BraniacX:
My dear, next time apply to Uniben!

At least the quota taken on merit is not tainted by tribalism as is obtained in southwestern, southeastern and northern schools, when they take you on merit, tribe plays no role in it

At least that is how it was last i checked a couple of years ago, I don't know about now and i pray they haven't changed!

UNIBEN hasn't changed...their fairness is set on to known in Nigeria....u hardly know u are in Benin when u are within the school because of evenly distributed student from different region and ethnicity
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Midgut(m): 2:35pm On Dec 22, 2016
By calculating her jamb and o level, I discovered that she scored an aggregate of 82.2 which is 4.2 Mark above the cut off mark (78)
I will try to inform provost about this! your hardwork will not be in vain.

2 Likes

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by sharbby(m): 2:43pm On Dec 22, 2016
eph12:
Whereas me that scored 199 in jamb got admission this year lipsrsealed

which school
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by baum1: 2:46pm On Dec 22, 2016
holuwakore:
na even 2015 she jus do WAEC, she never use pass a year for house n she don de complain, abegi

What I would have told you ehhn

So, an excellent student with grades to speak for her excellence should stay at home for more than one year because some people have stayed for a longer time? Sit down and think about what you have written.
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Midgut(m): 2:59pm On Dec 22, 2016
DonLo:
There must have been a mix up somewhere. I know OAU for one thing and that is the reasonable perceived fairness in admission process into Medicine. Never trust others applying to study medicine as they might have had a better result but it seems unlikely seeing her O level results too. But at least she should have been given another course.
I'll try calling Prof Fatusi, the provost attention to it if possible.
Lala please move this to front page let OAU come explain, save someone's destiny.

MODIFIED: On a second look at her result, it shows her O Level result is weak when you look at the subjects that matters in the 5 credit requirement. Schools now use point system. Her Biology, Chemistry and Physics are weak and considering that Jamb and O level carries 50%. A candidates with 270 and A1(s) in these subjects would have counteracted her jamb result. But let the school clarify so as to clear our already biased mind of them cheating her.
by calculating her score, she scored 82.2. since you said you know the provost, inform him about it to save the image of great ife. I'm also a medicine part3 student.

1 Like

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Ebullient07: 3:51pm On Dec 22, 2016
SirAweezy:

No mix up anywhere: this is a tradition in OAU!
So you don't know OAU admit based on discretion. My dear you will see 250 on that same admission list. You will only be very lucky if you don't no anyone and you were giving your choice study.

I don't know the IFE of now thou but the OAU if I went to... admission on merit is just like 10%

I disagree bro, I got 255 and 280 in jamb and pume and I got d very course I wanted(law). Mind you, I knew/know no one in OAU to help wwith admission pcessin/follow-up and whatever. I have friends whose name came out earlier bfor mine was out. They all got admited on merit, without anyone to help with anytin. Like someone rightly pointed out, there may be a mix-up somewhere. This is not to say there are no persons who have lower scores and still got admited bfor pple who have good grades due either to long leg or whatever but sayn OAU's admission on merit is like 10% is hyperbolic. The school should look into this case and do wat needs to be done.

1 Like

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Ebullient07: 4:05pm On Dec 22, 2016
Decale:

Go check her tweets.
CC generaldandy

Her screening score was 75.2% which is below the 78% cutoff. I wouldn't blame the university here for not giving her medicine. However, she should have been given her 2nd choice (Dentistry)

She can't be given dentisry. If she had chosen courses like micro or biochem and some other courses outside the college of health sciences, she probably won't be complainin abt her 'no admission' status. I think wisdom is always needed when choosin ur course of study and d second preferred course cause of cases like dis. It's just like pickin 2 courses in d faculty of tech as 1st and 2nd choice(like mech and computer) without meetin d required points, it hardly turns out right.
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Adesegunfat: 4:09pm On Dec 22, 2016
My name is Adesegun Fatusi, and I am the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, OAU, Ile-Ife. The case of the Aror Oghenerukewve has just been brought to my notice. To throw more light on her case, I will present the detaild fact here.

With a score of 320, her mark from UTME amounts to 80% (i.e. 320/400 x 100)
Her school cert results are: English A1 (=8 marks); Biology C4 (=5 marks); Chemistry B3 (=6 marks); Maths B3 (=6 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Further Maths B2 (=7marks), and Civic Educ A1 (=8 marks). That gives her 45 points, or 70.3% (i.e. 44/64x100)

So her overall average - as OAU did a combination of 50% mark from JAMB and 50% mark from School Cert - is: (80+70.3)=75.15% (which we rounded up to 75.2%).

With that mark, she ranks number 103 on the list of the students who took Medicine as first Choice.

The total admission quota for Medicine in OAU is 100, and that includes UTME and Direct Entry).

Clearly although Aror did well, her mark was NOT good enough to earn her admission on merit to read Medicine in Ife. Her mark of 75.2% is clearly below our cut-off mark (which was initially 78%, but we later reduced to 77.7%). Between her mark of 75.2% and 77.7%, by the way, there were 56 other candidates who scored higher than her but did not make the cut-off. For example, two people had 77.6%, two other people had 77.5%, four people had 77.4% etc

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Ebullient07: 4:17pm On Dec 22, 2016
ogunboss:
Its OAU. I once heard from an admin staff that Deltans are rarely admitted because of some incident sometimes back allegedly masterminded my Delta state students. Trust me, she would have been admitted if not for that. And taking a look at it, I've never seen a Delta state student, all you see are PH people.

Hmmm! God help us. I know Deltans who are students of med. I know Deltans in diff depts in Oau so I dnt know what exactly ur point is. Can we just put tribal sentiments aside and give valid and sound probable reason(s) y dis young and intelligent lady was not admitted
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by SirAweezy(m): 4:41pm On Dec 22, 2016
Ebullient07:

I disagree bro, I got 255 and 280 in jamb and pume and I got d very course I wanted(law). Mind you, I knew/know no one in OAU to help wwith admission pcessin/follow-up and whatever. I have friends whose name came out earlier bfor mine was out. They all got admited on merit, without anyone to help with anytin. Like someone rightly pointed out, there may be a mix-up somewhere. This is not to say there are no persons who have lower scores and still got admited bfor pple who have good grades due either to long leg or whatever but sayn OAU's admission on merit is like 10% is hyperbolic. The school should look into this case and do wat needs to be done.

It's okay... during my time there was no PUME not even pre-degree
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Adesegunfat: 4:45pm On Dec 22, 2016
Having presented the detailed facts about Aror's case, let me also help the many young Nigerians who may be accessing this site with more information on admission as I see a lot of misrepresentation, falsehood, and misunderstanding from the comments that various people had made on this case.

1. Admission into Nigerian Universities are considered on three grounds based on the nationally specified criteria (which I think ought to be reviewed now, by the way):
A. Merit =45% (This covers all candidates from the country - and it is automatic admission once you meet the cut-off mark)
B. Catchment = 35% (this refers to those in the states specified as catchment area for each University: For OAU, that is Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti)
C. Educationally disadvantaged states (ELDS)=20% = This refers to all the 19 Northern States, and Ebonyi, Rivers and Bayelsa.

So, someone from Delta such as Aror with 75.2% will not get admission into Medicine in OAU automatically as she is only considered on merit criterion and she does NOT meet the specified cut-off, but someone with the same mark from Kwara (which is in the North Central zone) may get automatic admission with the same mark based on the consideration of ELDS if 75.2% is the specified cut-off for ELDS for Medicine.

2. When a candidate chooses a highly competitive course like Medicine in a top-rated University like OAU, the competition is very intense. Believe it or not, many of the candidates that made our merit mark had an average of six A1s in school cert coupled with very high UTME mark (above 300). So, a candidate must carefully think over his choice of course and university. For example, if Aror had chosen ANY other course as her first choice for OAU, whe would have made the merit mark and gotten automatic admission, and she would have made the merit mark for Medicine on merit for most Nigerian universities too (but NOT OAU unfortunately).

3. Because of the high demand and competition for very limited spaces, the College of Health Sciences does not consider second choices as a general rule. OAU, for example, was only able to offer admission on UTME platform (Merit + Catchment + ELDS) to less than 3% of her applicants for Medicine, and less than 2% of her applicants for Nursing Science this year.

4. For cases like Aror where the candidadte has made a high mark but does not make the cut-off, what the candidate can sometimes do is to come to the University and try and see if he or she can be considered for other courses. A candidadte DOES NOT get considered automatically for a course she has not applied to in JAMB. A candidadte is ONLY automatically considered for the course he or she has applied for with respect to a particular university.

Unfortunately, Aror has left her case too late as all admission lists have been submitted for this year.

13 Likes

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by waynetee(m): 5:03pm On Dec 22, 2016
cry
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by waynetee(m): 5:20pm On Dec 22, 2016
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Adesegunfat: 5:24pm On Dec 22, 2016
Wayneteen, I challenge you to share your UTME and Schoo cert marks with readers online and let them compare it with the cut-off mark. In the alternate, please kindly share your real name with me online now, and I will draw up your mark from the master mark sheet on my computers in minutes and place that information openly online for readers to see. In your case, if you are sincere, your overall average must have been low - and someone went the extra mile to go and beg for you in Education, or you were a pre-degree student who scored above 60% in the pre-degree programme but your UTME and School cert marks were not so impressive, and the University out of its policy on pre-degree then looked for a course to accommodate you. Please, do not mislead people.

Let me sign out of this page and the entire discourse finally - because of the pressure of my work - with a final statement: ANYONE who feels he or she has a genuine case is free to come to my office - PROVOST'S OFFICE, COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES, OBAFEMI AWOLOWO UNIVERSITY, ILE-IFE to see me. I will avail such individual an access to the computerised database of all candidates that made a choice of a course in our College as well as the cut-off marks.

So long.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Midgut(m): 5:30pm On Dec 22, 2016
Adesegunfat:
Having presented the detailed facts about Aror's case, let me also help the many young Nigerians who may be accessing this site with more information on admission as I see a lot of misrepresentation, falsehood, and misunderstanding from the comments that various people had made on this case.

1. Admission into Nigerian Universities are considered on three grounds based on the nationally specified criteria (which I think ought to be reviewed now, by the way):
A. Merit =45% (This covers all candidates from the country - and it is automatic admission once you meet the cut-off mark)
B. Catchment = 35% (this refers to those in the states specified as catchment area for each University: For OAU, that is Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Oyo, Osun and Ekiti)
C. Educationally disadvantaged states (ELDS)=20% = This refers to all the 19 Northern States, and Ebonyi, Rivers and Bayelsa.

So, someone from Delta such as Aror with 75.2% will not get admission into Medicine in OAU automatically as she is only considered on merit criterion and she does NOT meet the specified cut-off, but someone with the same mark from Kwara (which is in the North Central zone) may get automatic admission with the same mark based on the consideration of ELDS if 75.2% is the specified cut-off for ELDS for Medicine.

2. When a candidate chooses a highly competitive course like Medicine in a top-rated University like OAU, the competition is very intense. Believe it or not, many of the candidates that made our merit mark had an average of six A1s in school cert coupled with very high UTME mark (above 300). So, a candidate must carefully think over his choice of course and university. For example, if Aror had chosen ANY other course as her first choice for OAU, whe would have made the merit mark and gotten automatic admission, and she would have made the merit mark for Medicine on merit for most Nigerian universities too (but NOT OAU unfortunately).

3. Because of the high demand and competition for very limited spaces, the College of Health Sciences does not consider second choices as a general rule. OAU, for example, was only able to offer admission on UTME platform (Merit + Catchment + ELDS) to less than 3% of her applicants for Medicine, and less than 2% of her applicants for Nursing Science this year.

4. For cases like Aror where the candidadte has made a high mark but does not make the cut-off, what the candidate can sometimes do is to come to the University and try and see if he or she can be considered for other courses. A candidadte DOES NOT get considered automatically for a course she has not applied to in JAMB. candidadte is ONLY automatically considered for the course he or she has applied for with respect to a particular university.

Unfortunately, Aror has left her case too late as all admission lists have been submitted for this year.

If this comment is truly from my abled provost, that means the case has been settled for good.

1 Like

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Kendzyma(m): 5:48pm On Dec 22, 2016
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by sadammy: 6:09pm On Dec 22, 2016
Adesegunfat:

4. For cases like Aror where the candidadte has made a high mark but does not make the cut-off, what the candidate can sometimes do is to come to the University and try and see if he or she can be considered for other courses. A candidadte DOES NOT get considered automatically for a course she has not applied to in JAMB. A candidadte is ONLY automatically considered for the course he or she has applied for with respect to a particular university.

thanks sir for the explanation, but sir wat about injustice done on PRE degree students, many of us were given course we never choose even though some meets the cut off, pls help us sir..God bless you sir
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by kolad59: 6:38pm On Dec 22, 2016
Adesegunfat:

has jamb uploaded all the list sent to them
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by kwekututu: 7:39pm On Dec 22, 2016
@Adesegunfat, thank you very much sir for your time and effort to clarify things, but sir, my observation is that in her screening report, the computer uploaded only 7 subjects for her instead of 8 subjects as expected. The 45 point she got was just for the 7 subjects, 1 subject was left out which would have made her points 53/64, making her O'level aggregate to be 82.8%. Adding this to her Jamb agg. of 80% and dividing by 2 would make her final score be 81.4%, if I am correct.
Out of your kindness, kindly look into this observation sir.
Thank you sir.

3 Likes

Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by micfoley: 9:21pm On Dec 22, 2016
Is this real? U mean this country has deteriorated to this extent?

Lord have mercy
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Mayour33(m): 9:52pm On Dec 22, 2016
Adesegunfat:
My name is Adesegun Fatusi, and I am the Provost of the College of Health Sciences, OAU, Ile-Ife. The case of the Aror Oghenerukewve has just been brought to my notice. To throw more light on her case, I will present the detaild fact here.

Her school cert results are: English A1 (=8 marks); Biology C4 (=5 marks); Chemistry B3 (=6 marks); Maths B3 (=6 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Physics C4 (=5 marks); Further Maths B2 (=7marks), and Civic Educ A1 (=8 marks). That gives her 45 points, or 70.3% (i.e. 44/64x100)

So her overall average - as OAU did a combination of 50% mark from JAMB and 50% mark from School Cert - is: (80+70.3)=75.15% (which we rounded up to 75.2%).

With that mark, she ranks number 103 on the list of the students who took Medicine as first Choice.

The total admission quota for Medicine in OAU is 100, and that includes UTME and Direct Entry).

Clearly although Aror did well, her mark was NOT good enough to earn her admission on merit to read Medicine in Ife. Her mark of 75.2% is clearly below our cut-off mark (which was initially 78%, but we later reduced to 77.7%). Between her mark of 75.2% and 77.7%, by the way, there were 56 other candidates who scored higher than her but did not make the cut-off. For example, two people had 77.6%, two other people had 77.5%, four people had 77.4% etc
But Sir, I can see double counting with physics there
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Mayour33(m): 10:05pm On Dec 22, 2016
kwekututu:
@Adesegunfat, thank you very much sir for your time and effort to clarify things, but sir, my observation is that in her screening report, the computer uploaded only 7 subjects for her instead of 8 subjects as expected. The 45 point she got was just for the 7 subjects, 1 subject was left out which would have made her points 53/64, making her O'level aggregate to be 82.8%. Adding this to her Jamb agg. of 80% and dividing by 2 would make her final score be 81.4%, if I am correct.
Out of your kindness, kindly look into this observation sir.
Thank you sir.
Why did she sit back for so long or rather didn't she read her screening slip after printing, it is gonna be an error on her part for not detecting that. As for me admission process has closed there is little or nothing that can be done about that
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Gagaboy1212(m): 10:10pm On Dec 22, 2016
She should keep shut i also had 247 in this year jamb and i was not admitted to university of ibadan for computer science due to point system,meanwhile i was offered admission to yabatech for same course so there is no point in that.Choosing in university in the west is highly competitive she should have chose a school in her state or maybe in the northern region
Re: Girl Laments Over Her Inability To Secure Admission After Scoring 320 In JAMB by Idyllic: 10:11pm On Dec 22, 2016
Adesegunfat:

The mistake is with the summation of her O'level result. From what the distinguished Prof. posted above. The summation of her O'level result should be 50/64 not 44/64. Therefore her O'level score should be 78.1%. Since her JAMB is 320/400. That is 40/50=80%. 78.1+80/2=79.05%. Which is above the merit cut off. She should be on merit list sir.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Secondary School Students Sing Naira Marley's "Opotoyi" During Assembly / Help I Got Into A Fight With A Cultist / Timetable For Covenant University Resumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.