Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,112 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:10 AM

Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% (912 Views)

A Quoran's Reply To How Bad Gender Inequality Is In America / Report Card For "One Corner" Dance! Ghana Records 80% Increase In HIV In 2017 / To Get Marriage Proposal, Women Should Date Multiple Men —experts (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by hotwax: 8:55am On Dec 24, 2016
In the other room

I watched some female celebrities and politicians discussing gender equality and the role of women in the polity on TV.
They made some points worthy of consideration. They claimed to have sponsored a bill in the house to make gender equality a law.

My Take
Gender equality or inequality cannot be addressed by laws of countries. Rather, it requires a societal and mental reorientation.
To be fair on our female counterparts, they face challenges every day. From sexual harassment to gender discrimination. The way a man will address a fellow man will be different from the way he will approach a lady.

I was driving towards Apogbon-Costain on a Saturday. Right under the bridge, a guy was trying to touch scantily dressed lady’s bb. The lady reacted and tried to talk some senses in his head. The guy replied (screaming openly) “Kini? Ma fi oko mi sinu kini e” Laughing out boastfully. I don’t want to translate that nasty statement to English. The young man thought what he did was normal, because it is a society norm to verbally downgrade or humiliate a female. I knew from his body language, if not for the fact that the place is a busy location. He would have attempted to rape her, especially if it’s in the night.

I have sisters and female friends, I know they have had similar experience in the past where men see them as sexual objects.

The thing is, in as much as men are at fault here, female share the 80% of the blame. Why?

Like I used to say, I am still expecting to see a hiphop music video of a female star showing guys in pants dancing around the music star. I haven’t. What I see in music videos everyday is unclad females in pants dancing around the actor. They make us believe, females are just useful for one thing. Their sexy body only.

There is more to female than pretty face. Personality, emotions, talent, brains also make a woman. But our music videos portray them as sex object that are only useful because of their curves, pretty faces e.t.c.

And our feminist female counterpart will not pick that out as gender discrimination. They don’t even know what gender inequality is.
At the heart of this gender inequality is our girls themselves.

The only reason a young girl will post a new picture on facebook is:
1. She want people to click on like for her pretty face.
2. She feels her curves are shaping out
3. She want show off a new makeup she did.
4. She wants show off a new dress or shoe she just bought (a good one)
All these are about their body. Only few of them show what they achieved, craft, achievement, a new car..e.t.c.

Below are some of the reasons a guy post pictures on fb
1. He wants show off a new shirt or shoe he just bought
2. He want to show off is new car
3. His living room stacked with electronic gadget
4. WANT TO SHOW OFF A BEAUTIFUL BABE HE JUST GOT/ACQUIRED

One can clearly see the difference, one is driven by achievement, and the other is driven by her pretty face and curves. They make their lives about their body. That’s why men see females as objects to be acquired. That is why an artist packed them in his music video.

A popular American rapper even said “My money my car my women”

A man will render help to a female expecting something in return, the same help he will render a guy and not blink an eye. Even common showing a lady way to the next bus stop, they will still request for her number.

If you want to tackle gender inequality, this mentality got to change.
Women should be respected first. Much of this corrections should come from women, else it’s going to always be “in my other room”.
The so-called gender equality bill in the house of senate is a waste of time. Its not about passing a bill into law, its about mentality.

4 Likes

Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by Divay22(f): 9:01am On Dec 24, 2016
Happy Christmas OP grin
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by hotwax: 9:03am On Dec 24, 2016
Divay22:
Happy Christmas OP grin

You too dear
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by proxillin(m): 9:09am On Dec 24, 2016
No let them cut your head op. You are looking for trouble. grin grin cheesy
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by hotwax: 9:13am On Dec 24, 2016
proxillin:
No let them cut your head op. You are looking for trouble. grin grin cheesy

true na
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by menxer: 9:25am On Dec 24, 2016
OP, Well said.

I like saying, the sweetest part in life is finding someone to blame for one's short comings.

Is there any legislation to stop or dissuade ladies from portraying themselves as sex objects?

Ladies will always by treated as sex objects as long as they keep portraying themselves as such.
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by ikp120(m): 9:32am On Dec 24, 2016
There can never be gender equality anywhere in the world.

There is even no gender equality in USA, which is acclaimed to be a very free nation.

True gender equality is not just all about ladies not being discriminated against because of their gender, but ladies and guys not being given preferential treatment because of their gender.
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by proxillin(m): 9:42am On Dec 24, 2016
ikp120:
There can never be gender equality anywhere in the world.

There is even no gender equality in USA, which is acclaimed to be a very free nation.

True gender equality is not just all about ladies not being discriminated against because of their gender, but ladies and guys not being given preferential treatment because of their gender.

Yes its also an issue in the US. Its a hot subject
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by ikp120(m): 9:50am On Dec 24, 2016
proxillin:

Yes its also an issue in the US. Its a hot subject

Gender equality is not possible because even the ladies would have to relinquish most of the privileges they enjoy in their relationships, which I believe would be quite appalling and disgusting to them.

Me I just dey here dey pray for gender equality, so that ladies will see what it's like to be man, and what it's like to cease to be a "woman" in a relationship. grin grin grin grin
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by softtouch2(m): 9:52am On Dec 24, 2016
Gender equality is a myth with African, Asian and Arab communities.
Just like OP rightly said, it can never be addressed by any law, it has to do with orientation of our female folks.

Any female that seek or wanted to command respect must start from somewhere... e.g "payment of your own bills"

Women can never be in control or in equity with men if they keep looking up to men to pay for their bills.
Most female folks I have engaged in discussion around this topic still see men to shoulder all the bills.

When you see a woman as a co-bread-winner she won't have time for indecent dressing. Her actions and strides will carry aura of respect.

Whoever pay the bills will always be in control!

1 Like

Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by hotwax: 10:31am On Dec 24, 2016
ikp120:

Gender equality is not possible because even the ladies would have to relinquish most of the privileges they enjoy in their relationships, which I believe would be quite appalling and disgusting to them.

Me I just dey here dey pray for gender equality, so that ladies will see what it's like to be man, and what it's like to cease to be a "woman" in a relationship. grin grin grin grin

ladies first
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by hotwax: 10:33am On Dec 24, 2016
softtouch2:
Gender equality is a myth with African, Asian and Arab communities.
Just like OP rightly said, it can never be addressed by any law, it has to do with orientation of our female folks.

Any female that seek or wanted to command respect must start from somewhere... e.g "payment of your own bills"

Women can never be in control or in equity with men if they keep looking up to men to pay for their bills.
Most female folks I have engaged in discussion around this topic still see men to shoulder all the bills.

When you see a woman as a co-bread-winner she won't have time for indecent dressing. Her actions and strides will carry aura of respect.

Whoever pay the bills will always be in control!
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by ikp120(m): 10:37am On Dec 24, 2016
hotwax:

ladies first

Ladies first is another dimension gender inequality, which is practically against everything about gender equality.

Gender equality requires a fine balance where what's good for the goose will also good for the gander, which ladies won't really like because of the numerous benefits they stand to lose in their relationships. angry
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by JuneOctober(f): 10:44am On Dec 24, 2016
If there is gender equality it wouldn't be ladies first...it will be anybody first.

grin I was with a friend one day. We were to pass through a gate like that. A lady wanted to pass when it was his turn, if he see the way he looked at her. When we got to the under side, I told him he should have let the lady pass since it was ladies first. He gave me one lengthy hiss cheesy cheesy
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by JuneOctober(f): 10:45am On Dec 24, 2016
Other*
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by proxillin(m): 11:06am On Dec 24, 2016
JuneOctober:
If there is gender equality it wouldn't be ladies first...it will be anybody first.

grin I was with a friend one day. We were to pass through a gate like that. A lady wanted to pass when it was his turn, if he see the way he looked at her. When we got to the under side, I told him he should have let the lady pass since it was ladies first. He gave me one lengthy hiss cheesy cheesy

Hahahha grin grin grin grin
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by JuneOctober(f): 11:20am On Dec 24, 2016
proxillin:

Hahahha grin grin grin grin

cheesy you don see when people dey enter danfo? Mtcheww, them no dey do ladies first. grin
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by Nobody: 12:12pm On Dec 24, 2016
I agree with you conmpletly! All you have to do is read some of the comments here ,posts and priorities of some women to know that gender equality is a sort of mission impossible!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by hotwax: 1:27pm On Dec 24, 2016
Raine80:
I agree with you conmpletly! All you have to do is read some of the comments here ,posts and priorities of some women to know that gender equality is a sort of mission impossible!

LOL...priorities...hmmm
Re: Gender Inequality: Women Should Take The Blame 80% by proxillin(m): 6:06pm On Dec 24, 2016
Raine80:

Nice one

(1) (Reply)

This Man Pretty Mike Attend Weddings With Women On A Leash And We’resuperconfuse / I Am Back! / Ladies What Would You Do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.