Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:25 PM

Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria (28705 Views)

Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Plantain Farming Business:the Money Making Machine With 25years Span / Reasons Why Most Nigerians Fail In Poultry Farming Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by seeni4ever(m): 2:03pm On Dec 04, 2005
Before, in Nigeria, farming used to be one of our major source of income, even, it is number one before petroleum take over everything. but now to my surprise majority of the people don't even think about it anymore. To me Nigeria is a country that is naturally blessed with good land and why can't we go back to farming and establish a large scale farming industry. Let me know your opinion over this. Together we can make changes.
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by layi(m): 2:48pm On Dec 04, 2005
A lot of the Big Industrialists like Chief Adedoyin, Chief Folawiyo, Dangote etc are into Agriculture 'Big time'.

Just that the reforms in the country favor other sectors ahead of agriculture. Most micro credit facilities would rather go to an oil exporter than a fish/cassava exporter.

If this is looked into, it would make the industry lucrative enough for peeps to go back in.

Its not that bad anyway. just that focus has been shifted on Oil gains.
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by otokx(m): 12:33pm On Dec 10, 2005
nigerians are very lazy people and since they want quick money farming is not in their available alternatives.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by JosBoy4Lif(m): 8:22am On Dec 11, 2005
LAZY
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by Seun(m): 6:30pm On Dec 11, 2005
Some people believe that real hard work is when you are doing some sort of physical labour such as working on a farm. To those people, those of us that prefer office work are 'lazy'.

Personally, I do not believe that agriculture can contribute as much foreign exchange as oil for the near future, but if we can achieve self-sufficiency in food production and also provide agricultural raw materials for starch-production plants, bakeries, cosmetics manufacturers and so on, I think that will be good enough.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by seeni4ever(m): 7:56pm On Dec 11, 2005
seun, i do not agree with you on this issue. doing a farming business(agriculture) doesn't mean that u cant sit in the office and do your business and who told you that agriculture cant contribute as much as petroleum. have you heard about biological diesel fuel that has being use as substitute to the petroleum diesel fuel in in some countries. in America here, we have thousands of hybrid cars on the road. since Nigeria started producing petroleum what have we achieved? nothing!. Brazil is a country that doesn't have oil, they make most of their revenues from agriculture. having a farming industry doesn't mean that every Nigerians will be carrying hoes and cutlasses to the farm, i am talking about large scale mechanized farming. Nigeria will never move forward if we don't try other industries which agriculture is number one.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by larger20(m): 10:14pm On Dec 11, 2005
I this agreee with most of your posting. Obasanjo's farm is one of the largest in the nations...What about his incentives with the white fammers from zimbabwea? Everything that happens in nigeria is slow but has great potentials to develop. I can't wait to come back

However, I agree with you that most people dont want to work. People prefer a bed of rose. Everyone is concentrating in the oil rig business. Good luck to them. I might concider investing in agriculture in the future.
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by Seun(m): 11:27pm On Dec 11, 2005
I also have interest in agriculture. It is important that we should be able to grow our own food and source agricultural raw materials for our industries locally. Nigeria is oil and gas rich and if we can add agriculture and other sectors to it and maintain peace and stability (with some patience) the sky will be our limit.
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by freshsmile: 6:57am On Dec 12, 2005
My advise to those people wth a spare bit of dirt . You can plant a tree or vegetables. Put more fruit trees on your land, plant more vegetables on your land. I see people going hungry in every place and the land is not used to its best potential. Such a fertile land can have a garden of Eden. There is not much work involved in a few fruit trees and vegetable plants.
Permaculture is the way of the future. believe me. my garden is abundant. family and friends enjoy eating from it daily. Forget about making big profits.. Think locally and it can help people around you.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by larger20(m): 8:04am On Dec 12, 2005
freshsmile:

My advise to those people wth a spare bit of dirt . You can plant a tree or vegetables. Put more fruit trees on your land, plant more vegetables on your land. I see people going hungry in every place and the land is not used to its best potential. Such a fertile land can have a garden of Eden. There is not much work involved in a few fruit trees and vegetable plants.
Permaculture is the way of the future. believe me. my garden is abundant. family and friends enjoy eating from it daily. Forget about making big profits.. Think locally and it can help people around you.

U spoke like an Old lady.how old r u?[code][/code]
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by freshsmile: 8:24am On Dec 12, 2005
did i speak like a wise old one? lol .. is this forum only for 20 or under?
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by freshsmile: 8:45am On Dec 12, 2005
"What permaculturists are doing is the most important activity that any group is doing on the planet. We don't know what details of a truly sustainable future are going to be like, but we need options, we need people experimenting in all kinds of ways and permaculturists are one of the critical gangs that are doing that."

Dr. David Suzuki, geneticist, broadcaster and international environmental advocate

"Permaculture is also a world wide network and movement of individuals and groups working in both rich and poor countries on all continents. Largely unsupported by government or business, these people are contributing to a sustainable future by reorganizing their life and work around permaculture design principles. In this way they are creating small local changes but ones which are directly and indirectly influencing action in the wider environment, organic agriculture, appropriate technology, communities and other movements for a sustainable world. After 20 years Permaculture may rank as one of Australia's most significant 'intellectual exports'."

David Holmgren

"Permaculture is revolution disguised as gardening."

Mike Feingold, a Permaculture Teacher at Findhorn

"Permaculture, a design system that reconciles human communities with the ecological imperatives of a living planet."

Ben Haggard

"Permaculture is a design system for creating sustainable human environments. The word itself is a contraction not only of permanent and agriculture but also of permanent culture, as cultures cannot survive for long without a sustainable agricultural base and landuse ethic. On one level, permaculture deals with plants, animals, buildings, and infrastructures (water, energy, communications). However, permaculture is not about these elements themselves, but rather about the relationships we can create between them by the way we place them in the landscape.

The aim is to create systems that are ecologically sound and economically viable, which provide for their own needs, do not exploit or pollute, and are therefore sustainable in the long term. Permaculture uses the inherent qualities of plants and animals combined with the natural characteristics of landscapes and structures to produce a life-supporting system for city and country, using the smallest practical area.

Permaculture is based on the observation of natural systems, the wisdom contained in traditional farming systems, and modern scientific and technological knowledge. Although based on good ecological models, permaculture creates a cultivated ecology, which is designed to produce more human and animal food than is generally found in nature."

from Introduction to Permaculture
by Bill Mollison.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by exu(m): 6:32pm On Dec 12, 2005
nigerians are very lazy people and since they want quick money farming is not in their available alternatives.

wow, a nice broad brushstroke there...

some might even say lazy...

well i guess you just proved your own point...

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by Oracle(m): 3:14am On Dec 20, 2005
Agriculture is very important both the economy and otherwise
but people neglect it these dayz
it may not really be laziness but
uh

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by Sholeyb: 3:15pm On Apr 11, 2008
Could you re-post the website address. it is not clear.

Cheers
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by unclekala: 5:26pm On Sep 27, 2008
Yeah agriculture will definitely take over.I know that.Nigeria has gonethru too much.we have so little in the midst of plenty.we are gradually getting to realise ousleves, with time we will know what time it is.Do u know know how much could be made from agriculture?I write about investment opportunities in NIgeria from time to time with a strong bias for agriculture now.bizinnigeria.blogpsot.com.
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by Sirdayor(m): 7:51pm On Oct 03, 2008
I won't want to subcribe to the point of lazyness mentioned by some people, Nigerians are very hard working people either you believe it or not.
But i just feel the policy makers need to do more on the development of the agriculture sector, because i dont think we can achieve much by using the old methods.
I was surprise when my brother at University of agriculture told me that most of their farm practices(pracricals) are still being carried out using hoe and cutlass, a school that was established for the purpose of agricultural development. Then how far can we go with that, 'guess we still have along way to go.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by pereowei(m): 6:08pm On Oct 15, 2008
My opinion on this issue is very wide.

First i believe so much in agriculture, because no matter the amount of time you spend in the office you must eat food.
No matter hw much we make from Crude oil, we must eat. So we Must get that fact in our heads that AGRICULTURE IS ESSENTIAL.

But let us not forget some issues,
First, we know the state of our banks, their high interest rate (if they even agree to give u a loan).
we must also know that crops are not predictable, hardwork is not always the key in agriculture, pest or a sudden disease can wipe out a whole plantation, also if you have excess harvest and there is no ready market u tend to reduce your price. which affects ur overhead cost.

Another problem is Insurance, there is no insurance for crops anywhere in the world.
SO you wouldn't blame me if i had N500,00 and i decide to learn one professional IT course that would fecth me quick money as soon as i finnish the course, or i invest in the oil sector.

But agriculture is very essential, afterall we made alot of money during the Groundnut pyramid, Palm oil rush.

I THINK THE GOVERMENT SHOULD LOOK MORE INTO THIS ISSUE, though the have tried with the cassava incentive but they should do more cos its only the North that's enjoying the cassava thing.

Cheers
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by wealthpos(f): 5:22pm On Oct 16, 2008
hello everyone,i just want you to contribute to this tread and i,ll welcome any more good idea on this business.
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by ralph007(m): 4:54pm On Jan 16, 2009
thanks in the forum for the wonderful jobs you guys are doing
i will like to coment on the subject about farming in nigeria
i believed that what we call civilization robb us a bit,and its
not the civilization per say but our over interpretation of what
civilization mean some believed that being a farmer is local
things and they wanted to be seeing as educated and civilized
so they dump farming for what they concieved to be civilized.
i.e banking,industrilisation,and other proffesion,though all
are not bad at all,but why would every body just abandon farming
just like that,and before civilization farming is our main occupation
but thank God for those who understand that farming is every
coun try life jacket,checked every advance world,they didnt joke
with farming.and our Gorvernment dind help enough,farming should
be ultimate responsibility of our Government,it should be encourage
in our tre tier education,i mean from primary to the tetiary
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by sonety2k(m): 6:31pm On Feb 04, 2009
LET ALL GO BACK TO FARM grin

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by KingSola(m): 7:43pm On Feb 05, 2009
We ,unbehalf of the Motherless, Widows, Poors, Needy, the Sick , SMEs and Kingdom Projects, are going into Agriculture and Solar Power this year.

We hope to meet on Saturdays in pursuit of the divine mandate of massive wealth conversion where we save 10 percent of our income and invest in Agric and Power

Interested savers should contact

kingolusola@gmail.com

For more details

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by lagos88: 3:30pm On Feb 06, 2009
The United States and India, as well as China, are all major grain-producing nations in the world. Though its cultivated land is less than the United States and India, China ranks the first in the world in terms of grain product; its per-unit grain yield is much higher than the world average. But, as China's population is almost five times that of the United States, its per-capita share of grain is less than one-fourth of the latter.

Meanwhile, the proportion of China's grain output in the world's total increased from 17 percent to 25 percent.

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by sonety2k(m): 3:47pm On Feb 06, 2009
KingSola:

We ,unbehalf of the Motherless, Widows, Poors, Needy, the Sick , SMEs and Kingdom Projects, are going into Agriculture and Solar Power this year.

We hope to meet on Saturdays in pursuit of the divine mandate of massive wealth conversion where we save 10 percent of our income and invest in Agric and Power

Interested savers should contact

kingolusola@gmail.com

For more details

I am intrested kindly carry me along

sonety2k@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by ebonyking: 11:20pm On Jul 29, 2009
I don't really know where to start from but the fact remains that agriculture is the most viable business anyone can start in Nigeria.

Why do I say so?

Nigeria has over 150 million inhabitants and guess what?

Less than 1 million is farming and other agric related business.To make matters worse the output from the farms are usually due to lot of factors leaving over 100 million mouths to chase the commodities in the market even with massive importation.The yawning gap between demand & supply remains very wide

1 Like

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by olamson(m): 10:10am On Apr 26, 2010
ce-MANUAL
CATFISH FARMING +LOAN Without Collateral In Nigeria N 2,350
SNAIL REARING + LOAN Without Collateral In Nigeria N 2,350
CATFISH FARMING + SNAIL REARING + LOAN Without Collateral In Nigeria N 3,500

PLENTY CATFISH FARMING
Fisheries and snail rearing our goal

What We Do:
-Sales of mobile fishpond

-Setting up of fish farm

-Sales of fingerlings

-Consultancy services
ADDRESS AND CONTACT:
No 2 Temidire close,foursquare busstop
Adiyan orudu road alagbado
lagos
+234 8036320607
+234 8027524739
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by Thethy(m): 12:59am On May 02, 2010
Agriculture is very important in our economy and Snail & Grasscutter Farming are still one of the ways to look at. THE THY SNAIL & GRASSCUTTER FARMS.Tel: 08023050835,07033632285.

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by Thethy(m): 1:02am On May 02, 2010
Agriculture is very important in our economy and Snail & Grasscutter Farming are still one of the ways to look at. THE THY SNAIL & GRASSCUTTER FARMS.Tel: 08023050835,07033632285.

Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by perdey: 12:33am On May 03, 2010
agriculture is anoder means of generating income in NIGERIA. to learn more about improvement in agriculture i think one should contact IITA in IBADAN . I already make my mind to go back to agriculture ." owo la dami duro bi bus ti erero fo "
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by Lara4me: 12:07pm On Dec 03, 2010
A company urgently requires the services of major dealers and suppliers of farm produce in Nigeria.
Items include:rice, beans, soya beans,plantain,yam,cow meat,chicken,turkey,fish,etc.
Proposals and Quotations can be addressed to The Executive Director, LIFEPAGE LIMITED (trilionaire4real@yahoo.com).
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by dannycom(m): 9:43pm On Apr 12, 2011
Nigerians are not lazy,but many of them did not know some hidden secret about farming which i will like to share about.
1.when you are into farming for example,fish farming.it will always make you a self employed person.
2.you will decrease the number of job seekers by employing people to work along side with you.
it is one of the easiest way to wealth creation.if you look around you today in Nigeria ,the present number of fish farmers are not enough to meet the daily demands of cconsumers.To butress this point,in the current annual bulletin by united state agency for international development (usaid),reported that nigerians consumed 1.5 million metric tonnes of fish which worth about $1billion annually.And the daily supply could not meet the demand.Now you can now see that a deccision for farming is a lucrative business.for more information on how to start a fish farming business.contact kaykayfarms on 07056851327 ,08026224955.i am off to attend to my fish.
Re: Agriculture/Farming Business In Nigeria by ayodele123(m): 3:59pm On Oct 02, 2011
Nigerians are lazy and have a get-rich-quick mindset.
Agriculture is hard work and the youths are not ready for it.
Poultry farming for instance,which i prefer has enormous potential but involves hard work and attention to details too.

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Snake Threatening My Fish Pond Was Killed Today (Photos) / A Nairalanders Palm Oil Mill / What's Best To Do With 1 Million Naira In Agriculture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.