Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,739 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:41 PM

The Capture Of Sambisa And Premature Celebrations. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Capture Of Sambisa And Premature Celebrations. (758 Views)

Nigerian Army Constructing A Road Into Heartland Of Sambisa Pictures / Reuben Abati: The Return Of MMM, Tales From Sambisa And The Boy Died / After Recapture Of Sambisa: Recession, Corruption Remain Out Challenges - Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Capture Of Sambisa And Premature Celebrations. by OLADD: 8:56am On Dec 27, 2016
On Friday December 23rd, 2016 President Buhari elatedly broke the news of final capture and annihilation of the dreaded Sambisa forest by our gallant soldiers in faraway northeastern part of the country.

Considering the unprecedented physical and emotional damages the nation had suffered in the hands of the destructive agents of death whose main agenda is to establish a mono-religion nation, any action that waters down their potency and ability to wreck havoc deserves commendations and national appeal..

However, for many of us who keeps tap on chronology of events in Nigeria, it's premature and rather unconscientious for Mr. President and his government to trump up their hands in victory and brag over the Sambisa feat.

Between the years 2010 and 2015 when Boko haram held territories and established what they called Caliphates in Nigeria, there's a need to refreshen our memories and bring ourselves up to speed to the roles played by prominent northern leaders who tactically supported the activities of the sect.

It's on record that Mr. President as a private citizen, was approached by Boko haram to negotiate with the then sitting govt of former President Jonathan on their behalf. Not only did Buhari vehemently reject that famous offer thereby foreclosing the window of any immediate truce and bloodlettings, he was widely reported to have tagged the onslaught against Boko haram as a declaration of war on northern Nigeria. His position and those of prominent elders in that region who saw Jonathan as an "infidel" emboldened the sect into volatile metamorphosis, holding territories, hosting Islamic flags and killing innocent citizens unremorsefully. The refusal of the northern elders including Buhari to take decisive and common position against Boko haram gave birth to Sambisa forest.

Furthermore, it's petty for Buhari's government to regard the capture of Sambisa as a mean feat considering the fact that even Boko haram was aware of the timeline of its presence in that forest. No sect or militia has the capability to hold a territory perpetually in any sovereign nation without eventually capitulating and succumbing to the superior firepower of the country's loyal armed forces

Now to the major concerns of Nigerians. Reports have it that one of the members of the sect who was ostensibly dislodged from northeast was arrested in Lagos. This logically plays down any significance of Sambisa conquest. While citizens in other parts of the country could sleep with two eyes closed, this latest development poses more trouble to the nation as a whole. There's every reason to believe that those dispersed from Sambisa forest have simply found new abodes on our streets!

It's also astonishing that while efforts were concentrated in dislodging Boko haram from Sambisa, the government of Buhari failed in its inaugural promise of unearthing the sponsors of the sect. Paraphrasing one of Mr. President's promises in his May 29, 2015 address-Boko haram's sponsors and its international connections would be unearthed after the end of hostiles to prevent a reoccurrence in the future. . To this end, one wonders the basis on which the same President is rejoicing over Sambisa dislodgement when the sect's financiers are still at large.

Any feat achieved by Buhari's government that's devoid of arrest and prosecution of Boko haram sympathizers is nothing but window dressing.

2 Likes

Re: The Capture Of Sambisa And Premature Celebrations. by OZAOEKPE(f): 9:06am On Dec 27, 2016
I am too educated to be deceived by an ani mal called bu ha ri, he is looking for a cheap point to score. i just they laff cause Nigeria to me is a big joke..

2 Likes

Re: The Capture Of Sambisa And Premature Celebrations. by OLADD: 10:00am On Dec 27, 2016
OZAOEKPE:
I am too educated to be deceived by an ani mal called bu ha ri, he is looking for a cheap point to score. i just they laff cause Nigeria to me is a big joke..

Let's not continue to pay APC back in their own coins by calling the president names but engage them in constructive criticism and superior argument. By that, we would force them to jettison mediocrity and pettiness.
Re: The Capture Of Sambisa And Premature Celebrations. by NCP: 10:20am On Dec 27, 2016
Any victory attributed to this govt was made possible by GEJ. Buhari only came to complete the work.

1 Like

Re: The Capture Of Sambisa And Premature Celebrations. by OLADD: 10:35am On Dec 27, 2016
NCP:
Any victory attributed to this govt was made possible by GEJ. Buhari only came to complete the work.

The president never believes Jonathan did anything appreciable to defeat Boko haram. In fact, he does everything possible to rubbish the last adminstration whether in the area of security or economy. Buhari's main stock-in-trade is to bring down others and sell himself as the messiah
Re: The Capture Of Sambisa And Premature Celebrations. by OLADD: 2:16pm On Dec 27, 2016
The Federal Govt and the entire nation can roll out the drums when the ring leaders of Boko haram are made to pay the price for their dastardly acts.
Re: The Capture Of Sambisa And Premature Celebrations. by OLADD: 7:45am On Dec 30, 2016
Addendum:

Shekau appears in new video claiming the army lied in thier victory claims.
Re: The Capture Of Sambisa And Premature Celebrations. by OLADD: 12:30pm On Jan 15, 2017
OZAOEKPE:

Honestly, APC and Buhari have turned Nigeria to a joke.

(1) (Reply)

Oby Ezekwesili Opens Up. / PHOTOS: Solomon Dalung And Kanu At DAKINDA Penalty Game / Should Buhari be Apologizing To Nigerians For Dropping Bomb On Them On Facebook

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.