Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,161 members, 7,811,351 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:57 AM

Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria (26032 Views)

Chinese Man Arrested With N1.73bn Pangolin In Lagos / Owerri Customs Seize Goods Worth N857 Million (photos) / 4 Nigerians Arrested In Hong Kong With Pangolin Scales And Ivory Worth $440,000 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Ghost447(m): 11:29am On Dec 28, 2016
somethinggood:
The only animal I can relate it with is the Idiot... but it has spikes used by ladies to loosen their hair and not scales.

FTC

I foresee 2017 to be a great year for me. If you believe, click like.
Porcupine you mean?
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by princetom1(m): 11:30am On Dec 28, 2016
Whizkeey:
Me never see dis creature for naija bhet....

U probably lived in the city only. I have seen it live, even ate it. Wount eat it this days anymore, i hate anything bush meat now

1 Like

Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by passyhansome(m): 11:31am On Dec 28, 2016
ogunsj:
ask your granny in the village they are in Nigeria.

Serious this is my first time seeing it. Seun thanks
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by EdoNation(f): 11:31am On Dec 28, 2016
shakaZuIlu:

omo see boobs shocked

Recieve Jesus!!
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by nwaanambra1(m): 11:32am On Dec 28, 2016

mixed in with a container of wood products imported from Nigeria

comprehension!!!!!!

they did not say the animal thing was killed in nigeria!

it was hidden inside a container of wood product imported from nigeria!

they used Nigeria wood product to cover the stuff so it will scale thru customs - because wood products imported from nigeria often scale thru their customs without issues!
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by shakaZuIlu: 11:34am On Dec 28, 2016
EdoNation:

Recieve Jesus!!
i know I'll receive Jesus but for the meantime I'll prefer receiving you kiss

1 Like

Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Evesoplc(m): 11:37am On Dec 28, 2016
passyhansome:
Nigeria Govt won't intervene or run their own investigation, for crying out loud, has anyone seen such creature in Nigeria?, this could be another country disgusing as Nigerians

Yes, this creature...pangolin can be found in Nigeria especially the rainforests of southern Nigeria. More prevalent in south west region. It is very elusive and a highly prized "bushmeat". However, as a wildlifer and conservationist, i am happy that the international smugglers were caught. Trafficking of pangolin scales resultd in the death of hundreds if not thousands of this endabgered species

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Coldfeet(f): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2016
somethinggood:
The only animal I can relate it with is the Idiot... but it has spikes used by ladies to loosen their hair and not scales.

FTC

You are mixing it up with porcupine which has long and poisonous spikes! Ladies dont use it to loosen their hair, its the Chinese women that use it has a hair ornament.

Secondly the animal so called "idiot" is actually a koala idiot is its nickname due it's sluggish nature.

Picture one is the koala aka idiot

Picture two is the porcupine

And yeah i believe 2017 is going to be a great year cool

Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by jericco1(m): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2016
not in nigeria abeg
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by latup4real(m): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2016
[/quote]

I tap into this as well
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Kx: 11:40am On Dec 28, 2016
It was shipped from Nigeria does not mean the creatures were killed in Nigeria.

Our port may have been the conduit for obvious reasons.

Just my thought.
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by hernandson(m): 11:40am On Dec 28, 2016
alexiej:
Nna, please, what is pagolin undecided
u didnt see d picture the op pasted?
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Nobody: 11:42am On Dec 28, 2016
EdoNation:

BUT I HAVE NEVER SEEN THIS KIND OF CREATURE IN NAIJA BEFORE OOO

Me too I am not understanding undecided
EdoNation:

Me too I am not understanding
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Abbeyme: 11:50am On Dec 28, 2016
Dem dey??

nickxtra:
Them dey

And are they worth 3.1Tonnes in weight of quantity?
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by victorazy(m): 11:52am On Dec 28, 2016
somethinggood:

Your talking about Pokupine
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by hymanflex(m): 12:02pm On Dec 28, 2016
there are hundreds of creatures in Nigeria that you are yet to see

EdoNation:

Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by gifted21(f): 12:02pm On Dec 28, 2016
JingoOAU:
The meat of this thing iars more delicious than chicken

Are you really "jingo" of OAU??
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by golddust6000(m): 12:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
Freeko4:
I smell lies, dis animal can't be found anywhere in Nigeria!!

everything is lie to you, i saw this animal in my village farm during raining season, have you ever travel onnigerian roads? You will see guys selling this stuff at the road side, expecially in ore, benin road.
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by free2ryhme: 12:16pm On Dec 28, 2016
EdoNation:
Chinese customs seized over three tonnes of pangolin scales, state media said, in the country’s biggest-ever smuggling case involving the animal parts.

Shanghai Customs found around 3.1 tonnes of pangolin scales mixed in with a container of wood products imported from Nigeria, state broadcaster CCTV reported Tuesday. It estimated up to 7,500 of the creatures could have been killed.

The reclusive pangolin has become the most trafficked mammal on Earth due to soaring demand in Asia for their scales for traditional medicine and their flesh, considered a delicacy. Pangolin State media have previously said the scales fetch around 5,000 yuan ($700) per kilogram ($700) on the black market — which would make the seizure worth more than $2 million.

Although the international pangolin trade is illegal in China and they are listed as one of the most-protected wild animals, law enforcement remains weak. Pangolins are also farmed in the country and an online site selling traditional Chinese medicine offers them at 7,000 yuan per kilogram. The scales are nothing more than keratin, the same substance that makes up fingernails.

Yet it has been falsely touted as a cure for multiple ailments, including cancer, among some practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine. Shanghai Customs arrested three suspects who were suspected of smuggling the scales from Africa since 2015, the report said.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/12/chinese-customs-seize-three-tonnes-pangolin-scales-imported-nigeria/

Nigerian don't do pangolins

Someone lied on the bill of lading
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Arry110(m): 12:23pm On Dec 28, 2016
Fake news, it wasn't imported from Nigeria.
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by ajealadick(m): 12:28pm On Dec 28, 2016
hunters in my village catch this with traps.

passyhansome:
Nigeria Govt won't intervene or run their own investigation, for crying out loud, has anyone seen such creature in Nigeria?, this could be another country disgusing as Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Billygee2u: 12:48pm On Dec 28, 2016
EdoNation:
Chinese customs seized over three tonnes of pangolin scales, state media said, in the country’s biggest-ever smuggling case involving the animal parts.

Shanghai Customs found around 3.1 tonnes of pangolin scales mixed in with a container of wood products imported from Nigeria, state broadcaster CCTV reported Tuesday. It estimated up to 7,500 of the creatures could have been killed.

The reclusive pangolin has become the most trafficked mammal on Earth due to soaring demand in Asia for their scales for traditional medicine and their flesh, considered a delicacy. Pangolin State media have previously said the scales fetch around 5,000 yuan ($700) per kilogram ($700) on the black market — which would make the seizure worth more than $2 million.

Although the international pangolin trade is illegal in China and they are listed as one of the most-protected wild animals, law enforcement remains weak. Pangolins are also farmed in the country and an online site selling traditional Chinese medicine offers them at 7,000 yuan per kilogram. The scales are nothing more than keratin, the same substance that makes up fingernails.

Yet it has been falsely touted as a cure for multiple ailments, including cancer, among some practitioners of traditional Chinese medicine. Shanghai Customs arrested three suspects who were suspected of smuggling the scales from Africa since 2015, the report said.

Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/12/chinese-customs-seize-three-tonnes-pangolin-scales-imported-nigeria/
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by cardoctor(m): 1:01pm On Dec 28, 2016
Ive seen them being sold just before Lokoja at those bush meat stalls by the roadside. Didnt know they existed here in nigeria but they are quite common. Such a shame what impact this mass hunting of these animals could cause to the already fragile ecosystem.

1 Like

Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Adebayowest: 1:06pm On Dec 28, 2016
The animal Nigeria well well. Dem dey call am Aika in yoruba language. But do not know the english name.
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by babatunx(m): 1:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
Na Akika be thus now.. I chop this thing no be small.....so the scales wey we dey throway na money self

1 Like

Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by almarthins(m): 1:18pm On Dec 28, 2016
FriendChoice:
I smell lies.

We have this animal in Nigeria. Categorized as endangered specie
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Caseless: 1:23pm On Dec 28, 2016
EdoNation:

it took me time to know what it is.
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Dsov2016: 2:13pm On Dec 28, 2016
Na this animal them they call ozuo(idiot). E plenty for ekiuwa market for Benin that year. I no know say na endangered animal. Na him all those granmama those days dey chop. If u offend one old mama and them back u with this u go fear fear.
Seriously what I had read from other foreign news site it was said Africa, now our people say na naija. I hail for una
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by kunlesmiles(m): 2:20pm On Dec 28, 2016
naptu2:

Anteater
thanks for ur comment,am really surprised people don't know dis animal,It feeds majorly on ants.
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 28, 2016
i'very seen and eaten it like 5 times.
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by hotspec(m): 2:40pm On Dec 28, 2016
somethinggood:

FTC

check again, ure not FTC. Edo people are so fast
Re: Chinese Customs Seize Three Tonnes Of Pangolin Scales Imported From Nigeria by Cletus77(m): 2:46pm On Dec 28, 2016
Because of Buhari Nigeria is even blamed for what it don't know

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Customs Impounds 475 Rifles At Lagos Tin Can Port Again / Yoruba Youths Stab Hausa Man To Death In Ogun State / Greenfield University: Families Open Gofundme Account To Raise Ransom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.