Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,245 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:37 AM

Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts (35968 Views)

Amnesty International Issues Travel Warning To Travelers & Visitors To The U.S. / Moving To America, Great Investment. / Visitors To America Must Now Surrender Their Social Media Account (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by recievesense: 2:01pm On Dec 28, 2016
You all have to be careful of what you post online if you want to visit the USA.

U.S. government begins asking foreign travelers about social media

By TONY ROMM 12/22/16 05:23 PM EST

NEW YORK — The U.S. government quietly began requesting that select foreign visitors provide their Facebook, Twitter and other social media accounts upon arriving in the country, a move designed to spot potential terrorist threats that drew months of opposition from tech giants and privacy hawks alike.

Since Tuesday, foreign travelers arriving in the United States on the visa waiver program have been presented with an “optional” request to “enter information associated with your online presence,” a government official confirmed Thursday. The prompt includes a drop-down menu that lists platforms including Facebook, Google+, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube, as well as a space for users to input their account names on those sites.

The new policy comes as Washington tries to improve its ability to spot and deny entry to individuals who have ties to terrorist groups like the Islamic State. But the government has faced a barrage of criticism since it first floated the idea last summer. The Internet Association, which represents companies including Facebook, Google and Twitter, at the time joined with consumer advocates to argue the draft policy threatened free expression and posed new privacy and security risks to foreigners.

Now that it is final, those opponents are furious the Obama administration ignored their concerns.

"There are very few rules about how that information is being collected, maintained [and] disseminated to other agencies, and there are no guidelines about limiting the government’s use of that information," said Michael W. Macleod-Ball, chief of staff for the American Civil Liberties Union’s Washington office. "While the government certainly has a right to collect some information ... it would be nice if they would focus on the privacy concerns some advocacy groups have long expressed."

A spokeswoman for Customs and Border Protection, who said the government approved the change on Dec. 19, told POLITICO on Thursday the new policy is meant to “identify potential threats.” Previously, the agency had said it wouldn't prohibit entry to foreigners who didn’t provide their social media account information.

The question itself is included in what’s known as the Electronic System for Travel Authorization, a process that certain foreign travelers must complete to come to the United States. ESTA and a related paper form specifically apply to those arriving here through the visa-waiver program, which allows citizens of 38 countries to travel and stay in the United States for up to 90 days without a visa.

As soon as the government unveiled its draft proposal in June, however, consumer protection advocates expressed outrage. In a letter sent in August, the ACLU, Center for Democracy and Technology charged it posed immense privacy risks, given that social media accounts serve as “gateways into an enormous amount of [users’] online expression and associations, which can reflect highly sensitive information about that person’s opinions, beliefs, identity and community.” The groups also predicted the burden would “fall hardest on Arab and Muslim communities, whose usernames, posts, contacts and social networks will be exposed to intense scrutiny.”

After the policy changed, Nathan White, the senior legislative manager of Access Now, again blasted it as a threat to human rights.

“The choice to hand over this information is technically voluntary,” he said. “But the process to enter the U.S. is confusing, and it’s likely that most visitors will fill out the card completely rather than risk additional questions from intimidating, uniformed officers — the same officers who will decide which of your jokes are funny and which ones make you a security risk.”

Opponents also worry that the U.S. change will spark similar moves by other countries.

"Democratic and non-democratic countries — including those without the United States’ due process protections — will now believe they are more warranted in demanding social media information from visitors that could jeopardize visitors’ safety," said Internet Association general counsel Abigail Slater. ”The nature of the DHS’ requests delves into personal information, creating an information dragnet.”

Source : http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/foreign-travelers-social-media-232930

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by recievesense: 2:01pm On Dec 28, 2016
lalasticlala front page for those ya bbing trump on facebook

3 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 28, 2016
.Nonsense

they think they are cleaver my social media account had never linked to my names

by the way I'm a staunch supporter of Trump or any group capable of wiping out terrorism and suicide bombing in this planet

11 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by austino677(m): 2:17pm On Dec 28, 2016
What of those wey nor get Facebook account like me sad

63 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by helper01(m): 2:58pm On Dec 28, 2016
this somehow goes against the concept of the so-called 'free country.'
Moreover, this rule is against the rule of law as regards to privacy and its enforcement will lead to unpleasant consequences.

7 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by idupaul: 5:10pm On Dec 28, 2016
I will be glad to because I am proud America but anti Obama

4 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by onosprince(m): 5:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
For wetin... dem wan monitor us abi

1 Like

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by coolestchris(m): 5:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
Boycott America now,they are enemies of Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by RGem(f): 5:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
Intrusion of Privacy

8 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by niggi4life(m): 5:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
For those of you who hide behind the computer and spew trash on social media, e don be for una grin

Thank God i am Holy, Pure and without any Sin of such tongue

Please consular, can i come and get the Green Card Wole Soyinka is not using again?? kiss

54 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by Lincoln275(m): 5:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
as in?
Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by ameezy(m): 5:11pm On Dec 28, 2016
angry angry
Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by Emperortj93(m): 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
ok

5 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by SmartMugu: 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
It appears every type of madness starts from this same place.

1 Like

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by AntiWailer: 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
It is not for those petty things jare.
Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by mrmrmister: 5:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
I only have a nairaland account tongue tongue

5 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by VickyRotex(f): 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2016
It's Optional guys!

I'm sure the person who posted this, dint even read it.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by iluvpomo(m): 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2016
Just wait till Trump comes in and does his own!

4 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by AngelicBeing: 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2016
tongue
Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by martynsnet: 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2016
Well, they aint asking for ur password

1 Like

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by Ekpekus(m): 5:14pm On Dec 28, 2016
This is a breech of privacy lipsrsealed

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by signature2012(m): 5:14pm On Dec 28, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by Nobody: 5:15pm On Dec 28, 2016
grin No probs,my nl acct dey.
Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by IamOpemipo(m): 5:15pm On Dec 28, 2016
They went to idumota

Dos dat gave a Bleep o..

1 Like

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by Phonefanatic: 5:15pm On Dec 28, 2016
I hope Vaseline crew won't be rejected. I wrote so many things to Kim Kardashian and she invited me cry cry

4 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by DirtyGold: 5:15pm On Dec 28, 2016
Really? Visa is not enough again abi? Is America heaven?
[img]http:///media/12-24-2016/E1c7QP.gif[/img]

What's tha business?

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by Oildichotomy(m): 5:16pm On Dec 28, 2016
I don't see anything wrong in it though, even organisations are asking of that from their potential employees, unless they have skeletons to hide.

About this privacy trash the Internet companies are complaining about. Is there really privacy in every sense of the word?

Ain't they the same ones disclosing information to the CIA and FBI if an account is flagged for terrorism or whatnot

Na them them abegi!

5 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by worlexy(m): 5:16pm On Dec 28, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by VickyRotex(f): 5:16pm On Dec 28, 2016
austino677:
What of those wey nor get Facebook account like me sad

You go surrender your Nairaland account ni undecided
Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by hazyfm1: 5:17pm On Dec 28, 2016
shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Visitors To America Will Surrender Social Media Accounts by SweetJoystick(m): 5:17pm On Dec 28, 2016
Interesting, no privacy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Poor Road Condition Of Nnewi, Anambra State (Pictures, Video) / Nigerian Beaches Have Lost Its Glory. My Journey To Oniru Beach / Nigerian Drug Mule Dies At Madrid Airport Terrified Staff Thought He Had Ebola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.