Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,837 members, 7,828,055 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:01 PM

Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? (9673 Views)

Nollywood Celebrities With Their Parents / 2013 AMAA in Bayelsa - Nollywood Celebrities / Hottest Nollywood Celebrities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by naliakar: 9:11pm On Nov 19, 2009
I found myself asking this question and I cannot come up with a name. This is because the background of nearly most of the actors in Nollywood are an open secret and the strong Igbo mainstream in the performance and production of mainly English home videos cannot be denied. Which famous actors come from these communities?
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by THEAMAKA3(f): 4:25am On Nov 20, 2009
hausas have their own.
i believe its called kannywood or khannywood.
they are very much cultural and stick to their own.
maybe if you werent so wrapped up in omotola 24/7 you would know this.
also mercy johnson isnt hausa or fulani or whatever but she is from somewhere in the north. well thats what i heard.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by Nobody: 4:31am On Nov 20, 2009
mercy Johnson is Egbira with an Igbo mother.

Egbiraland isnt in the north though many Egbiras are there.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by THEAMAKA3(f): 4:34am On Nov 20, 2009
tpia.:

yeah i wasnt too sure. but thats why i said "i heard"
but anyway, yeah.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by naliakar: 5:36am On Nov 20, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

hausas have their own.
i believe its called kannywood or khannywood.
they are very much cultural and stick to their own.
maybe if you werent so wrapped up in omotola 24/7 you would know this.
also mercy johnson isnt hausa or fulani or whatever but she is from somewhere in the north. well thats what i heard.

It is worth the effort and time to be wrapped up in Omo. But I am interested in the Hausa-Fulani issue because Nollywood bears the stamp on Nigeria and should be representative of the whole of Nigeria. This is more so because the Hausa- Fulani have been dominant politically for a long while and one would hope that the advantages they have had over time would produce at least one or two actors who can (for example) be compared to OMO in terms of acting excellence.

About Mercy, I honestly did not know that about her but the lady has something.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by godinser: 12:50pm On Nov 20, 2009
Sani Danja is a kano based musician and actor. He is a local champion in the north
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by youngies(m): 12:52pm On Nov 20, 2009
naliakar:

It is worth the effort and time to be wrapped up in Omo. But I am interested in the Hausa-Fulani issue because Nollywood bears the stamp on Nigeria and should be representative of the whole of Nigeria. This is more so because the Hausa- Fulani have been dominant politically for a long while and one would hope that the advantages they have had over time would produce at least one or two actors who can (for example) be compared to OMO in terms of acting excellence.

NL never disappoints!

Political dominance is now = Natural talent/skill/flair  

What next?
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by Libido(m): 12:54pm On Nov 20, 2009
Yes,
Mercy is from Kogi State.About the hausa/fulani,the culture is conservative and i dont think all those outlandish behaviours would go done well in their community and as a result only a tiny percent would even think of trying to act in nollywood films i.e. no open kissing,smoching,hugging and of course pretended sex.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by Libido(m): 12:56pm On Nov 20, 2009
Anyway,the political dominance is not to their or our benefits.Just too much chop chop.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by obiem(m): 1:01pm On Nov 20, 2009
There's a certain Ali Nuhu, he's the biggest northern actor i know. Remember the AMBO(amstel malta reality show) flick titled 'Sitanda'? He was the lead actor which also featured Iretiola Doyle, and the winner for that year Azeezat. I've also seen him in some english/igbo flicks can't remember any particular one now but he's mainly in the hausa films.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:13pm On Nov 20, 2009
naliakar:

like youngies said, does this equal talent/skill or anything like that.
meanwhile i see they would probably most likely stay acting in kannywood. that is their film industry. it was designed for them as it is very much cultural. most of their movies is in their language. i mean why would you wanna act in nollywod when you have a better chance at landing a role in your own backyard?
i dont think its that they havent been able to join nollywood, they just choose not to.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by amebono1: 1:34pm On Nov 20, 2009
naliakar do you have to mention omotola on evry thread you walk into?

them use omotola swear for you?
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by danaras: 1:37pm On Nov 20, 2009
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by Jarus(m): 1:41pm On Nov 20, 2009
I'm not so much of a home video lover, except some extremely funny comedies, but  mixing with Hausa/Fulani folk in my one year stay in the north, and now back in Lagos, being close to my estate's Hausa security guys(they are actually from Borno and not real Hausa, neither are they Kanuri, but we call all of them Hausa), I can shed some light on the Hausa film industry.

-They call it Kannywood and style it after Bollywood(or is that not what Indian film industry is called?)
-It is strictly cultural- no touching of opposite sex, immorality at barest minimum
-Their biggest star is Ali Nuhu, a 1997 geography graduate of Unijos from Gombe state but grew up in Maiduguri and Kano. It seems he's the most educated of all Hausa actors, speaks English fluently, won Nigerian actor of the year(I think) in 2007, featured in some Nollywood movies. Sings as well. Quite handsome. Highly reverred in the north. He is a friend. We met on facebook a couple of months ago.
-Sani Danja is their second biggest star. He sings as well. Learnt his mother is Yoruba. Like someone mentioned up there, he's a local champion and highly reverred up there too.
-Other big names in Kannywood are Maryam Hiyana, Qubrah Dacko, Sadiya Gyale, Ibrahim Babale, Hafsah Sheu, Ahmed S. Nuhu(died in auto crash 3 years ago), and Ibroo(a comedian)
-Virtually all of them sing
-They are highly respected and sought-after among the youths, but equally loathed by many adults and religious scholars who believe they are agents of erosion to Hausa/Fulani culture
-Save Ali Nuhu, they don't feature in Nollywood, due, probably, to sharp difference in culture and communication barrier(ba Turenchi).

I hope this helps.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:41pm On Nov 20, 2009
!amebo no1:

abeg help me ask oooo.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by sleak(m): 1:47pm On Nov 20, 2009
!amebo no1:

I beg amebo n amaka make una leave naliaka alone na his dream woman wey no dey available be dat.im also so crushed on beyounce(i dey wait for jayzee to Bleep up) cool cool cool so i understand.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by Jarus(m): 1:47pm On Nov 20, 2009
tpia.:

Egbiraland is in Kogi state and Kogi state is classified as north-central. Okene, in Kogi state,  is the headquarter of Egbiraland.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by THEAMAKA3(f): 1:51pm On Nov 20, 2009
sleak:

I beg amebo n amaka make una leave naliaka alone na his dream woman wey no dey available be dat.im also so crushed on beyounce(i dey wait for jayzee to Bleep up) cool cool cool so i understand.
keep on dreaming. cool
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by bigrod1: 2:06pm On Nov 20, 2009
@amaka,

hear - say
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by shabbie(m): 2:22pm On Nov 20, 2009
[size=18pt]SADIQ DABAH[/size]
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by sleak(m): 2:25pm On Nov 20, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

keep on dreaming. cool
living the dream is what i do best. grin grin grin
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by chosen04(f): 2:35pm On Nov 20, 2009
THE-AMAKA:

yeah i wasnt too sure. but thats why i said "i heard"
but anyway, yeah.

Pls learn to change the source of your wonderful info.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by chosen04(f): 2:38pm On Nov 20, 2009
shabbie:

[size=18pt]SADIQ DABAH[/size]

Pls get serious.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by spikedcylinder: 2:38pm On Nov 20, 2009
Rukky Sanda
Fati Muhammed
Safiya Musa
Binta Sukai nko?
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by madamL(f): 2:44pm On Nov 20, 2009
halimah abubakar
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by THEAMAKA3(f): 2:46pm On Nov 20, 2009
chosen04:

Pls learn to change the source of your wonderful info.

ANYWAY like i said before, i didnt say what i said was fact, i said its what i heard.
doesnt mean i thought it was 100% true.
tongue
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by bashdecash(m): 2:48pm On Nov 20, 2009
Ali Nuhu is very good in both acting and English, but the fact that he accepted to be featuring in NOLLYWOOD does not make him more educated (western) than the rest of the actors.

there are a lot of Hausa actors/actresses in Kaduna and even in Kano that are well exposed and educated (speaks better English) than Ali Nuhu but are not interested in joining Nollywood just because of the culture difference.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by smooooooth: 2:49pm On Nov 20, 2009
never heard of any hausa/fulani actor/actress. its good to know they are into movies too. i thought their lives was confined to cattle rearing.  smiley

THE-AMAKA:

keep on dreaming. cool

sometimes dreams come thru u know.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by sjeezy8: 3:01pm On Nov 20, 2009
im sure theres alot of mixed people with hausa and fulani but dont claim it.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Nov 20, 2009
shocked OMG!! you guys are soooooo clueless!!!

http://www.kannywoodonline.com

Ali Nuhu, your 'local champion' has featured as lead act in the amstel box office movie with Azeezat as well as the BBC series "Wetin Dey'.

Ignorance is a baaaaaaaaaaad thing!! There's a whole world happening outside your little calabash, if only you would raise your head!! cool
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by THEAMAKA3(f): 3:32pm On Nov 20, 2009
actually im pretty sure people know kannywood, they were saying NOLLYWOOD.
Re: Are There Nollywood Celebrities Of Hausa And Fulani Extraction? by namun(f): 3:35pm On Nov 20, 2009
not relevant

(1) (2) (Reply)

DJ Cuppy Launches Charity Foundation “cuppy Foundation” / Pictures: Steph Nora Okere comes back with new look / Lady Goes Gaga While Dancing As She Exposes Her Private Part On Stage [LOOK]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.