Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,197 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:07 PM

Nigerian English & Questionnaire - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian English & Questionnaire (6161 Views)

Nigerian English / If Women Have No Rights! A Questionnaire / Nigerian English Not Pidgin English A Myth Or Reality A Foreigner's Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian English & Questionnaire by tapequeen(f): 11:44pm On Dec 04, 2005
Hello!

I am a student at the University of Vienna, Austria, Europe.

I'm sorry to bother you by posting also under this section. I have previously posted my request under "education" but have not got any replies. So I thought that maybe the readers of the topic "career" might be interested in helping me and my friend out.

We are currently writing two seminar papers on Nigerian English. In order to find out what Nigerian people think about the English language and how they use it we have devised questionnaires. Now we are desperately searching for Nigerian people who would be willing to answer our questions. We have found a few people in Austria but we still need more, especially people living in Nigeria, but also Nigerians who live abroad.

In detail:
I am investigating Nigerian people's attitude towards English whereas my friend is doing research on the language use in media and everyday language.

It would be very, very kind and very helpful, if you could answer the questions and email us the results. When you do so, please indicate whether the aswers are to questionnaire A or B. That would be very helpful for us.

If you have any further questions you would like to ask us, please feel free to email us.

[center]PLEASE BE SO KIND AND HELP US BY FILLING OUT AT LEAST ONE OF THE QUESTIONNAIRES!!!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
[/center]
Konstanze & Katrin

Here are the questions:

questionnaire A:

Dear reader! I am a student at the department of English studies at the University of Vienna, Austria. I am currently doing some research on language attitude in Nigeria for a seminar paper. It is very important for me to find out what Nigerian people really think about the English language, whether they like it or not, etc… I would therefore appreciate it very much if you would fill out this questionnaire. The questionnaire is anonymous and the information you give me will only be used for the purpose of my seminar paper. Thank you very much for your cooperation!

QUESTIONNAIRE
Part 1:
1) Gender: o female o male

2) Age: .

3) Ethnic Group: .

4) Which part of Nigeria do you come from? .

5) Where do you live? o In Nigeria. o abroad. In: how long? .

6a) Mother tongue: .
6b) What other Nigerian language do you speak?
o Nigerian Standard English o Nigerian Pidgin English o Hausa o Igbo o Yoruba o Other: (please specify) .

7) What is your present degree of education?
o secondary education o university o otherssadplease specify) .
8.) What is your profession? .

(If you feel like adding any other information, please feel free to do so! I will consider any comment!)

Part 2:
Please respond to the following questions with: SA (strongly agree), A (agree), D (disagree), SD (strongly disagree)

9) I would prefer if a local language rather than English was the language of instruction in our schools, colleges, and universities.
o SA o A o D o SD

10) English as Nigeria’s official national language should be replaced by a local language.
o SA o A o D o SD

11) I believe it would be better for students to study in their own language rather than in English.
o SA o A o D o SD

12) The wide-spread use of English in Nigeria helps us to unify our multicultural and multilingual society.
o SA o A o D o SD

13) The major local languages are incapable of handling the needs of modern times and sciences.
o SA o A o D o SD

14) In which language do you prefer to watch TV or listen to radio programmes?
o English o mother tongue

Please answer the following questions with VO (very often), O (often), NO (not so often), N (never).

15) How often do you use English in the following situations?
a) at home: o VO o O o NO o N
b) at work: o VO o O o NO o N
c) when shopping: o VO o O o NO o N
d) at church: o VO o O o NO o N
e) on the internet: o VO o O o NO o N
f) with friends: o VO o O o NO o N

16a) I think in English. o VO o O o NO o N.
16b) I think in my mother tongue: o VO o O o NO o N

17) What do you think about the English language? Do you/don’t you like speaking/writing/hearing it? .

18) Do you prefer to use your mother tongue or English? why?

19) What do you feel about the English language in comparison with your native language?
Part 3:
Please answer the following questions only If you have been living abroad for more than 6 months.

20) Do you listen to radio programmes/do you watch TV programmes only in English or also in your mother tongue? Why?

21) If you have children, what language do you speak with them? o English o mother tongue Why?

22) What language do you speak with other Nigerians you meet? o English o a Nigerian language. Why?

23) Has your opinion of English changed since you live abroad?

Thank you very much! smiley

Questionnaire B:

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am carrying out a survey about »The use of language in media and everyday language in Nigeria«. It is a part of my research in Sociolinguistics seminar. It is highly relevant for me to know your ideas and opinions about this issue. This is why I ask you to be so kind to reply to some questions. The data you provide will be used for academic purposes only, and will be kept confidential. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

1. Sex: M F *How many years have you lived in Nigeria? ____________

2. Age: ________

3. Where were you born? ________________________________________________________

4. Which part of Nigeria are you from? ______________________________________________

5. What is your mother tongue? ___________________________________________________

6. What other languages do you speak? _____________________________________________

7.a) Are you a member of any religious community? ____________________________________

b) Which one? ____________________________________________________________ ____

8. Level of education:
- None 
- Incomplete primary 
- Complete primary 
- Vocational 
- High school 
- Short cycle university (B.A) 
- Long cycle university (M.A) 
- Other 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you would like to add some extra information or provide reasons to the general questions, I would be very grateful.

9. In which language did you learn to speak? _________________________________________

10. What language do you use at home? ____________________________________________

11. Which language do/did your parents speak? _______________________________________

12. Which language do/did your grandparents speak? ___________________________________

13. Which language do/did you use at school? ________________________________________

14. What language do/did you speak with your classmates? ______________________________

15. Which language do you use at work? ____________________________________________

16. What language do/did you speak with costumers, co-workers, supervisor? _________________

17. Which language do you use when talking to a friend? _________________________________

18. What language do you use to speak to a stranger? __________________________________
For which reason?
- because it is my usual language 
- by my own will 
- for if he/she does not understand another language 
- it depends on the place 
- according to the age of the person 
- according to his/her appearance (clothes, etc.) 
- according to the gender 
- other 

19. What language do you use if you go to a store/market? _______________________________

20. What language do you use when you have to solve affairs in some office of the city council, regional government? ____________________________________________________________ _______________

21. What language do you use when you argue or get angry? __________________________

22.a) Which Nigerian newspapers/magazines do you read? _______________________________

b) In which language are they published? ____________________________________________

23.a) Which Nigerian tv programs do you watch? ______________________________________

b) What language is spoken on this program? _________________________________________

24.a) Which Nigerian radio station do you listen to? _____________________________________

b) What language is spoken on this station? __________________________________________

25. What language do you prefer in advertisements? ____________________________________

26. What language do you prefer when reading literature? ________________________________

27. Which language is spoken when attending religious events? ___________________________

28. How do you feel about English language? _________________________________________

28. What language is in your opinion the most useful and why? ____________________________

29. In your opinion, the issue of language is?
- very important
- rather important
- important
- little important
- not important at all
Thank you☺

Please email your answers to: mod@mail2world.com
Thank you!
Re: Nigerian English & Questionnaire by dafman(m): 3:46pm On Dec 31, 2005
Men! the questions plenty o! To write exams for skool self na wahala talkless of this one...anyway i wish una goodluck.
Re: Nigerian English & Questionnaire by Syed2011: 10:34am On Jun 07, 2010
The aim of a questionnaire is to gather information for purposes of research for market surveys, analysis or even to corroborate other research findings.  They are one of the cheapest and most feasible ways of gathering data.  It is important to remember that for any questionnaire to be really effective it has to be designed well.  A sample questionnaire can help you formulate a good questionnaire. Source: Sample questionnaire
Re: Nigerian English & Questionnaire by AjanleKoko: 10:45am On Jun 08, 2010
Try Culture section instead.
Moving this topic there.

(1) (Reply)

Common Misconception About Edo(benin)girls / Nnewi New Yam Festival Heard Today, It Looks So Demonic (photo) / 10 Reasons Ibadan Is Better Than Lagos -hashimyussufamao

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.