Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,218 members, 7,849,773 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 09:30 AM

Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - (2146 Views)

Rivers Violent Rerun: Ben Llewellyn-Jones Asks Very Interesting Question / Fashola, Fayemi, Mohammed Are Products Of Tinubu’s Talent – Ashafa / Was Colonialism Good For Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by OYBMEND: 1:36am On Nov 21, 2009
May be Mr Sanusi will like to tell us if the Abba Abacha mentioned below is a son of one of his so called colonial masters. NIGERIANS LOVE PLATITUDES.

Nigeria ex-leader Sani Abacha's son 'must pay $350m' 

General Sani Abacha may have stolen more than $2bn when in office
A Swiss court has ordered the seizure of $350m (£212m) in assets from the son of Nigeria's former military ruler, General Sani Abacha.

Abba Abacha was convicted of being a member of a criminal organisation and given a suspended custodial sentence.

Switzerland began investigating the Abacha family in 1999 and has so far handed back about $700m to Nigeria.

Nigerian state lawyers believe Sani Abacha, who ruled from 1993 until his death in 1998, may have stolen $2.2bn.

The Swiss authorities pursued Abba Abacha for six years before extraditing him from Germany in 2005.

"The examining magistrate sentenced him to a suspended jail term, and ordered the confiscation of his assets of $350m," Geneva canton's justice office said in a statement.

"[The money] is held by his criminal organisation and seized through international assistance in Luxembourg and the Bahamas."

Correspondents say Abba Abacha can appeal against the judgement

Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by adigun101: 1:56am On Nov 21, 2009
This guy has truly hit the nail on the head.
He could not have put it any better.

But when he talks about his job he talks about "shooting MDs", "God not forgiving him" , "Nigerias economy outgrowing south africas".
He then sounds like a lightweight and people laugh at him.
And on the international level they see him as not being learned enough. "like some English who attended his road show in london claimed".

What is his economic model for Nigeria.
What is his direction for Nigerias financial sector.
These are genuine questions for a CBN governor and not Nigeria's history.

I had lost most of the respect I had for Soludo when he ventured into politics having left the CBN.
But now we have CBN governor who is more interested in politics even while he is in office.
Nigeria never ceases to amaze.
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by paddylo1(m): 2:31am On Nov 21, 2009
Open your eyes to what is written. Nobody is talking about tribe, outside of what Sanusi himself mentioned.
Nigeria needs more integration? Based on what? Toasting chicks or joining cliques or being below 30? Based on what?

Nigeria needs more integration because u need a fist,not tiny fingers to survive the global economy now

i mentioned chicks and cliques cause thats how i grew up in nigeria,i dont know about u

young ppl dont care about ojukwu or obasanjo or buhari,they care about naija

sanusi is pointing out that everyones mouth is at the trough and feeding fat of the land,so he whose tribe has no sin should cast the first stone

every country in the world has had major upheavals,nigerians should get corruption at all levels wiped out

that should be the first priority,not tribe finger pointing

But when he talks about his job he talks about "shooting MDs", "God not forgiving him" , "Nigerias economy outgrowing south africas".

yes Nigerias economy will be bigger than south africas in about 5yrs time,maybe less,they say the prophet is not recognized at home

many Nigerians dont know how big their country and economy is to begin with

some even dare compare Ghana and Nigeria

a $16bln ghana economy to a $230bln Nigerian economy

but when sanusi compares Nigerias $230bln Economy to south africas $280bln economy
ppl start screaming like he has blasphemed,meanwhile south africa grows at 2%,while Nigeria grows at 6%
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by adigun101: 3:43am On Nov 21, 2009
paddy_lo:

but when sanusi compares Nigerias $230bln Economy to south africas $280bln economy
ppl start screaming like he has blasphemed,meanwhile south africa grows at 2%,while Nigeria grows at 6%
People dint scream, they laughed ! And once again I will laugh at your comments. Nigeria grew at 6% where ?
The manufacturing sector is vanishing.
Unemployment is increasing.
Inflation is higher than SA.
Foreign Direct Investment is lower than SA.
Business confidence is low.

Practically every other economic index is droping fast but Alas Nigerias economy is growing at 6%.
Well the CBN governor was supposed to tell you that Nigeria has no real growth but the GDP rise was as a result of rise in oil prices, something that applies to all sub Saharan countries. But he just could't be bothered to go into such detail unless it is politics. He happened to be speaking to an educated crowd and they laughed at him !
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 21, 2009
It saddens me that after slavery and colonization we can't redefine ourselves properly. Our goals should be how to move Africa and every Africans all over the world forward by now but we are stuck in tribal differences and political differences. cry cry cry. We can't even move a street forward talk less of a city, a borough, a city, a state, a coast a country, a geographical part of continent, the continent. We are stuck. We are still stuck in the dark ages of religion.

Let the past 2,850 years be called the dark age for Africa!! Hope we rise again and never fall!!!!
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by devilmaycy: 8:55am On Nov 21, 2009
People dint scream, they laughed ! And once again I will laugh at your comments. Nigeria grew at 6% where ?

Practically every other economic index is droping fast but Alas Nigerias economy is growing at 6%.
Well the CBN governor was supposed to tell you that Nigeria has no real growth but the GDP rise was as a result of rise in oil prices, something that applies to all sub Saharan countries. But he just could't be bothered to go into such detail unless it is politics. He happened to be speaking to an educated crowd and they laughed at him !

dont mind this guy, he has been saying the same thing. The problem is that people just find information onlline and then post it confidently without considering what methodology was used and such or some grasp of economics. Because Nigeria's GDP is growing due to oil prices, how does this relate to industrialization and real economic growth?
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by paddylo1(m): 10:27am On Nov 21, 2009

ignorance is bliss for u i guess,i will not be going into GDP analysis with u guys on Nairaland again because i have done it b4,if u refuse to learn well your loss

how does oil price rise apply to all subsaharan african countries? do they now produce oil too?

for your info.SA economy registered little or no growth this year

u think pple over there are from mars?i pity u.,what is GDP growth?how does increase in output occur?why is SA economy stagnant?

dont mind this guy, he has been saying the same thing. The problem is that people just find information onlline and then post it confidently without considering what methodology was used and such or some grasp of economics. Because Nigeria's GDP is growing due to oil prices, how does this relate to industrialization and real economic growth?

What do u mean by industrialization and real economic growth,show me the fake one,pls go take a class in Econometrics and macro economics and come back and lets talk

my friend u know nothing about economics or finance so dont even start

its only in Nigeria that people will get up and insist on their own facts and figures,meanwhile the world bank,goldman sachs,imf,cia,hell even the south africans will tell u nigeria will eclipse them very soon,but u will say everyone is lying.
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by devilmaycy: 10:30am On Nov 21, 2009
its only in Nigeria that people will get up and insist on their own facts and figures,meanwhile the world bank,goldman sachs,imf,cia,hell even the south africans will tell u nigeria will eclipse them very soon,but u will say everyone is lying.

grin grin grin
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by paddylo1(m): 10:31am On Nov 21, 2009
since most of u guys are simpletons with no brain,below is a link with world bank data,analyse it and plot all other african and world economies and see where Nigeria is headed

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:NGA&q=nigeria+gdp#met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:GHA:NGA:ZAF
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by paddylo1(m): 11:00am On Nov 21, 2009
from the link above u can see what military rule did to nigeria,our GDP first peaked very close to south africa in 1980 around $64bln

it took more than 23yrs to get back to that level again and get over it,that was a disaster!!,and the military with their clueless and kleptomaniac policies were the main culprits

we should never 4get that no matter how bad civilian rule is,military rule is much worse,thats why ibb and abacha squandered excess oil wealth,while obasanjo built a considerable foreign exchange reserve

our GDP should naturally be twice that of south africans,cause of our population and mineral wealth,

we will get there though cause if we have another 10yr period of world economic growth like we had in 2000 - 2009 before the crash hit,then by 2020 ours will be the largest economy in africa by far
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by devilmaycy: 11:22am On Nov 21, 2009
U are beginning to vex me angry

I am not arguing about the GDP- i am arguing about how that GDP is applied. Even if nigeria makes 360 billion dollars as you say, and it goes into the pockets of corrupt politicians, how does it develop nigeria? If Ghana makes a 1/10th of what we make, as you claim, and they spend it efficiently, which country is better?
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by transformR: 12:08pm On Nov 21, 2009
devilmaycy:

U are beginning to vex me angry

I am not arguing about the GDP- i am arguing about how that GDP is applied. Even if nigeria makes 360 billion dollars as you say, and it goes into the pockets of corrupt politicians, how does it develop nigeria? If Ghana makes a 1/10th of what we make, as you claim, and they spend it efficiently, which country is better?

No need to get vex you are trying to say Nigeria has a bad distribution of wealth - thats absolutely true, but Ghanas use of its income is worse, the country is nearly
bankrupt: http://news.peacefmonline.com/features/200911/31413.php
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by chosen04(f): 12:24pm On Nov 21, 2009
[quote][/quote]

Before Sanusi starts his 'dont blame my people alone talk', He should admit it that his People had destroyed this country more than any other people. Worst is that their total contribution is nothing near the total damage his people have done to the country.

Its worst when those who cant contribute to national development go on extensive destruction agenda.
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by paddylo1(m): 1:29pm On Nov 21, 2009
U are beginning to vex me 

nigga move to ghana if u are annoyed and love it so much,which country doesnt have income inequality?

south african income disparity is even worse than nigeria,i hope u know that

as a matter of fact republicans in America will tell u that without income inequality,there is no economic growth as everyone is stagnant (like in the former soviet union),with no incentive to work and get ahead,now that is their economic philosophy not mine
and the us has the largest income disparity in the world,top 2% owns 90% of the wealth

and for your info you dont know anything about GDP,it is not applied by anybody,it is just the output in a yr in an economy measured in dollars

of course the GOvt SPENDING part of the Nigerian GDP could be spent more productively,but the private sector is also huge

and stop saying i claim or i say,my figures are from the world bank,u can deny them if u wish

Before Sanusi starts his 'dont blame my people alone talk', He should admit it that his People had destroyed this country more than any other people. Worst is that their total contribution is nothing near the total damage his people have done to the country.

Its worst when those who cant contribute to national development go on extensive destruction agenda.

Nobody is denying that,look at my chart above and see how military rule by northerners btw 1980 and 2000,nearly destroyed Nigeria and truncated its growth

the question now is how to move ahead,stop trying to fight over crumbs from the pie,make the pie bigger
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by paddylo1(m): 1:53pm On Nov 21, 2009
the question now is how to move ahead,stop trying to fight over crumbs from the pie,make the pie bigger

check the link below(by the way u can plot these yourselves),it shows Ghana,Nigeria,South Africa and Indonesia GDP from 1960 till date

http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=wb-wdi&met=ny_gdp_mktp_cd&idim=country:GHA:NGA:ZAF:IDN&tstart=-315619200000&tunit=Y&tlen=48

if you go back to 1976 the 3(NGA,SA and IND),had roughly the same size economies

why do i use indonesia?,because indonesia is the only country in the world that Nigeria most closely resembles,almost same population,they have oil,and agriculture,they have huge islamic population,they had been battered by the military until about 15yrs ago when they went back to democracy after suhartos death

now indonesias GDP is 2 times nigeria and south africas,how did they do it,and how do we replicate it here?
thats what i mean by grow the pie,not fighting over who stole what when,indonesia also had very corrupt leaders,but they overcame it
they have terrorist attacks,seperatists groups and so on,
but am sure most indonesians are not trying to tear down their country like most of u on here seem intent on

and for those of u arguing about GDP,note that u cannot improve peoples lives without growth in GDP
go to that chart and plot in the GDP of somalia congo or iraq,see it has been flatlined for ever
the point is the poor people will get the benefits of growth in an economy; as long as its happening
the bigger problem is when there is no growth or stagnation
u cannot redistribute wealth that doesnt exist,we should focus on growing the pie to match indonesia at least by 2020
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by adigun101: 2:13pm On Nov 21, 2009
paddy_lo:

ignorance is bliss for u i guess,i will not be going into GDP analysis with u guys on Nairaland again because i have done it b4,if u refuse to learn well your loss

how does oil price rise apply to all subsaharan african countries? do they now produce oil too?

for your info.SA economy registered little or no growth this year

If you were conversant enough you would have known that what I meant was that sub saharan economic growth are mostly based on rise in mineral prices and in Nigeria's case oil.

For south Africas growth what did Nigeria record this year in the face of falling oil prices. Certainly not 6% as that was forecast growth before the drop in oil price can you give us a reliable statistic because we all know that of SA. I guess you wont know because the person supposed to tell you that is preoccupied with
lecturing you on Nigerias history and politics.
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by bibiking1(m): 3:32pm On Nov 21, 2009
An articulate treatise from an intellectual fellow. Sanusi's rebuttal is in order and the earlier we start thinkin as a country the better for us
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 21, 2009
nigeria having the potential to have an economy that is bigger than south africa, should not be confused with the fact that it,s economy is not and will not be bigger than south africa so long as we continue to have the likes of ibb, abacha, abdulsalami and co, confirmed looters. having obasanjo in between dose not change the fact that this looters not only stole nigeria blind, they also reduced their own people into the poorest people found any where on earth, and for sanusi not to realised this and castigate these rulers, since according to some folks, here, he is a fearless man, shows that he is part of the problem, and very petty. putting square pegs in round holes have always been the bane of this great country, here we have an ethnic social crusader mascurading as a cbn governor, and we are talking of an economy getting bigger. 1+1 is not equal to 4! i am amazed at such optimism.
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by Jarus(m): 5:32pm On Nov 21, 2009
Hmmmmnnn, at this juncture, let me dig into my SLS archive and dig out this article written by Sanusi over a decade ago. Sanusi just restated his opinion in that book launch.

Enjoy:
THE “NORTHERN” CROSS IN NIGERIAN POLITICS: Ethnic bigotry and the subversion of democracy
By

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi

sanusis@ubaplc.com

Two experiences in my life, or rather, one experience gleaned from two incidents a year apart , made a profound impact on my mind and altered drastically my perception of Nigerian politics. Both incidents occurred about two decades ago in my early years at Ahmadu Bello University and my first real contact with national politics.

The first was in the 1977/78 session during the “Ali must go” riots. The Obasanjo government had announced its intention to partially withdraw subsidies from higher education, which would increase the cost to students of feeding and accommodation. Feeding cost in the dining halls would increase from 50k per day (for three square meals) to N1.50k per day. I do not recall the figures for hostel accommodation.

Southern universities led the call for resignation of Colonel Ali, the Education Minister. Northern universities were still looking up to A.B.U for leadership as all others were young and some had just metamorphosed from A.B.U Satellite Campuses to separate universities. Thus the Universities of Maiduguri, Sokoto, Jos and B.U.K were waiting for us to take the lead.

The dilemma for the students’ leadership was this: northern universities had a predominantly northern student body practically all of whom were on state government scholarships and would not be in any way affected by the policy. Southern universities, on the other hand were predominantly populated by students from the South who were paying their own bills and this increase would stretch parents' resources and force some of them out of the universities. The National Union of Nigerian Students (NUNS) led then by Segun Okeowo had the task of carrying ABU Students’ Union on a national protest over an issue that was of little direct consequence to the majority of its members.

I was then the youngest member of the Students’ Representative Assembly (SRA) or students’ parliament. The debate went on and on into the morning hours with the parliament divided. Okeowo and his PRO, Nick Fadugba, had come to Zaria to lobby. I strongly endorsed the boycott of the lectures and forcefully spoke on the need for ABU to rise above ethnic sentiments and fight the cause of Nigerian Students. Fresh from the nation’s premier Unity School (King’s College) I was convinced that one Nigerian was not different from the other and that ethnic considerations were backward and reactionary.

We won the debate, northern students joined the boycott, a number of A.B.U. students were shot, wounded and killed, and the rest is now history. But we were up to that point proud of ourselves and what we had done, even though it was condemned by Northern elders.

The second and final component of the experience happened one year later, during the JAMB crisis. The genesis was the publication on the front page of the New Nigerian Newspaper of a histogram showing the distribution of the students admitted into Nigerian Universities for the first time by JAMB. There were 19 States in the Federation then, 9 of them in the South. Eight of the Southern States took the top eight positions in the ranking followed by Kwara and then Cross River, the final southern state. The States of the north other than Kwara took the last nine positions. Bendel State alone had more students admitted than the ten northern states combined. Northern students were alarmed.

The understanding was that part of JAMB’s mandate was to help bridge the educational gap in the country and promote national integration. It was clear that the skewed admission would only widen the gap. Moreover, northern students were not taken into southern universities who refused to recognise the IJMB, while southern students filled northern universities. We tried to have a national protest.

Delegates sent from A B U to the universities in the South were evaded and the only courteous response came from the University of Calabar. The problem divided the students’ body and southern universities made it clear it was a northern problem. The boycotts took on a regional character as northern universities ended up closed. To add insult to injury, the Students’ Unions at UNILAG and UNIFE actually issued statements supporting the military junta and condemning the protests. The exercise was to be seen as the enthronement of merit over mediocrity and the government was urged to make sure that half-baked school-leavers should not fill our universities.

For many of us who just one year earlier had championed a southern cause, the experience was traumatic. It confirmed the warnings of all those who considered us naïve in our struggle for national unity. But worse, this experience has not remained on isolated item but an example of incidents and attitudes with which our political history is replete.

It seems that the failure of the Nigeria opposition can in the main be traced to this inordinate fear, contempt and resentment for the ‘north’, feelings that are borne primarily out of ignorance and misunderstanding. An issue that concerns the north is seen as purely parochial while one that affects the south is a national question. The Nigerian opposition, by failing to rise beyond their desire for an ethnocracy has denied the people of this country of an opportunity to forge a truly democratic opposition.

When in 1992 the electoral process seemed certain to produce two northern presidential candidates, the opposition press raised alarm at what it called northern designs to present the country with a faits accomplis. Politicians snowballed the process and played straight into the hands of Babangida. The illegal cancellation of the primaries and the banning of the politicians in violation of existing electoral law were not condemned by most of those now calling themselves democrats. It was only the annulment of June 12, 1993 which involved a southern politician that was viewed as a travesty of democracy.

Let me state for the avoidance of doubt that I condemn the annulment of the June 12 election. But I also condemn the annulment of the primaries in 1992. And I also condemn the coups d’etat which overthrew Shagari’s democratically elected government. The difference between the democrats and the ethnocrats does not lie in whether or not June 12 should have been anulled, but in whether June 12 was an issue at par with all travesties of democracy, or a special case because of the ethnic pedigrees of the victim.

M.K.O. Abiola was elected by all Nigerians. He won the election in Kano and Jigawa, defeating Tofa, the so–called son of the soil. The dissolution of that election was a violation of the rights of all Nigerians who voted to freely choose their leader. The action was that of an individual who wanted to remain in power at all cost.

Why did Abiola accuse the “ north” of stopping him? Why does the opposition attack the same “north” that voted for Abiola? Why has Abiola, a man seen by all Nigerians as one of them, suddenly been transformed into a “southerner” on the landscape of political action? How much justice do we do ourselves if we expect the north to lead the fight for June 12 in the face of what it sees as a betrayal?

The result of defining June 12 in tribal terms was the transformation of previous allies of Abiola into allies of the military or at best, passive by-standers. Key supporters joined the Military Junta. Many of these could claim, in good conscience, that hey did not betray MKO or democracy. They had simply abandoned a cause which had been hijacked and derailed. Abiola before and up to June 12 was the leader of a broad-based nationalistic front about to take over from a military dictatorship. After June 12, the cause had been hijacked by “ethnocrats” who had always seen Abiola not in terms of what he may have had to offer the nation but in terms of where he was from and what he, in their view, represented: A chance to get rid of northern leaders. In this, Abiola’s greatest enemies are those who claim to be his friends, people who contributed nothing to his campaign and had always mistrusted him because of his detribalised outlook.

Sadly, the lesson has not been learnt. Tunji Braithwaite recently joined the race for the nation’s presidency and lost the election on the first day by defining his agenda in anti-northern terms. It was a sad day for us, northerners who welcomed his declaration for politics and hoped to rally behind him or M D Yusuf or any other serious candidate with the capacity to make self-succession for the military a difficult, if not impossible task. A few days after Braithwaite’s press conference, Arthur Nwankwo, a prolific writer, dismissed M D Yusuf’s candidacy on the pages of This Day Newspaper. Nwankwo was not the first to do this but his primary reason seems to be that M. D. Yusuf is from the North, and that a northern candidate is unacceptable to Nigerians.

The likes of Braithwaite and Nwankwo will again play directly into the hands of Abacha. The opposition will always fail unless it transcends the fight for ethnic ascendancy and fights for enthronement of the people’s rights and defence of their liberties. The greatest shortcoming of the political philosophy of the opposition lies in the redefinition of democracy to mean the emergence of a southern president. In this, the philosophy is no different from that of the northern bigots who believe only northerners should rule the country.

For northerners who want democracy, the fight is a two–pronged one: Against so-called elders who out of selfish interests subvert the will of the people and falsely claim to speak for us, and against those who would make all northerners carry a cross that is not their own and answer for the deeds which they condemn and leaders whom they reject.

Ethnocracy as an ideology pitches the northerner against the southerner

Democracy pitches us all against dictatorship and violation of human rights.
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by Nobody: 6:58pm On Nov 21, 2009
"The dilemma for the students’ leadership was this: northern universities had a predominantly northern student body practically all of whom were on state government scholarships and would not be in any way affected by the policy. Southern universities, on the other hand were predominantly populated by students from the South who were paying their own bills and this increase would stretch parents' resources and force some of them out of the universities. The National Union of Nigerian Students (NUNS) led then by Segun Okeowo had the task of carrying ABU Students’ Union on a national protest over an issue that was of little direct consequence to the majority of its members. "

The second and final component of the experience happened one year later, during the JAMB crisis. The genesis was the publication on the front page of the New Nigerian Newspaper of a histogram showing the distribution of the students admitted into Nigerian Universities for the first time by JAMB.  There were 19 States in the Federation then, 9 of them in the South. Eight of the Southern States took the top eight positions in the ranking followed by Kwara and then Cross River, the final southern state. The States of the north other than Kwara took the last nine positions. Bendel State alone had more students admitted than the ten northern states combined. Northern students were alarmed.

The understanding was that part of JAMB’s mandate was to help bridge the educational gap in the country and promote national integration. [b]It was clear that the skewed admission would only widen the gap. [/b]Moreover, northern students were not taken into southern universities who refused to recognise the IJMB, while southern students filled northern universities. We tried to have a national protest.

mediocrity at it,s highest, in the form of national integration
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by Nobody: 10:40pm On Nov 21, 2009
state scholarship with money that you did not earned, woe betide you sanusi or whatever you call urself, for ever thinking of writing such rubbish, still with such free money you still fail to pass jamb, imagine coming to me to join you in protest that you cannot pass jamb, my people this is the mind of a man that is suppose to steer our economic policy towards a goal of becoming one of the 20 largest economies in the world, i shudder.
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by Beaf: 10:53pm On Nov 21, 2009
What alarms me most, is that Sanusi is eager to be seen as an intellectual (which he definitely is not) and he has a band of fanatic followers "sinking" the word into our heads. It won't work.

Here is a man in a position of authority, someone at the helm of affairs in Nigeria, yet all he can do is point fingers at the British who left 49 years ago. Intellectual?
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by Jarus(m): 11:07am On Nov 22, 2009
df2006:

"The dilemma for the students’ leadership was this: northern universities had a predominantly northern student body practically all of whom were on state government scholarships and would not be in any way affected by the policy. Southern universities, on the other hand were predominantly populated by students from the South who were paying their own bills and this increase would stretch parents' resources and force some of them out of the universities. The National Union of Nigerian Students (NUNS) led then by Segun Okeowo had the task of carrying ABU Students’ Union on a national protest over an issue that was of little direct consequence to the majority of its members. "

The second and final component of the experience happened one year later, during the JAMB crisis. The genesis was the publication on the front page of the New Nigerian Newspaper of a histogram showing the distribution of the students admitted into Nigerian Universities for the first time by JAMB. There were 19 States in the Federation then, 9 of them in the South. Eight of the Southern States took the top eight positions in the ranking followed by Kwara and then Cross River, the final southern state. The States of the north other than Kwara took the last nine positions. Bendel State alone had more students admitted than the ten northern states combined. Northern students were alarmed.

The understanding was that part of JAMB’s mandate was to help bridge the educational gap in the country and promote national integration. [b]It was clear that the skewed admission would only widen the gap. [/b]Moreover, northern students were not taken into southern universities who refused to recognise the IJMB, while southern students filled northern universities. We tried to have a national protest.

mediocrity at it,s highest, in the form of national integration
I honestly agree he was off-point in that article.
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by paddylo1(m): 11:14am On Nov 22, 2009
What alarms me most, is that Sanusi is eager to be seen as an intellectual (which he definitely is not) and he has a band of fanatic followers "sinking" the word into our heads. It won't work.

@ beaf
would u rather a dummy be the head of the CBN?, better for one who seeks knowledge to be there than a dull person,we all know what george bush did to america with his ignorant,am no intellectual arse

am no sanusi defender(far from it),it just seems like a lot of ppl against him are pulling the tribe card

i also think he could have acted with less shock and awe,maybe give the banks forbearance,afterall they mostly had margin tied to stock,which would rebound in at least 3-4yrs
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by paddylo1(m): 11:48am On Nov 22, 2009
For south Africas growth what did Nigeria record this year in the face of falling oil prices

nigerian growth rate 2009 is revised to 4.7%,not bad with US growth at 1% and eu at almost 0 or negative,and the uk is negative also for 2009
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by SEFAGO(m): 11:55am On Nov 22, 2009
^ ;d
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by transformR: 12:42pm On Nov 22, 2009
adigun101:

And on the international level they see him as not being learned enough. "like some English who attended his road show in london claimed".

What is his economic model for Nigeria.
What is his direction for Nigerias financial sector.
These are genuine questions for a CBN governor and not Nigeria's history.

I had lost most of the respect I had for Soludo when he ventured into politics having left the CBN.
But now we have CBN governor who is more interested in politics even while he is in office.
Nigeria never ceases to amaze.

Beaf:

If you compare Sanusi's cv with the likes of Soludo or Iweala its embarassing, who asked for his opinion? Hes comments are unprofessional and at best unremarkable, he needs to focus on the job, produce the goods and stop trying to be judge and jury on the history of Nigeria.  Think about it, if you had $1 million in a company, would you want the CEO to start yapping on about the history of Nigeria or what he can do for you as a shareholder? 

Its obvious that the North wanted one of their own champions and Sanusi is trying to live up to expectations with words - but the country needs hes effective actions.  He makes it obvious that he is trying to compete in the popularity stakes with Fashola.  But he needs to look up to Fashola - a man who lets his actions speak.  Fashola did not go to MIT, Harvard or Oxford but he is a world class leader and yet he remains humble and focused.
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by Dede1(m): 2:02pm On Nov 22, 2009
Thank you df2006, Beaf and TransfornR for magnifying the character and intellectual flaw exhibited by Mallam Sanusi and rather openly.

I am perplexed that many individuals are still holding brief for a person who has written tons of garbage including falsehood about Nigerian constitution as of 1966.
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by okunoba(m): 10:03pm On Nov 22, 2009
Sanusi tries to sound like a Nationalist, but he his more of an ethnic champion. He loves pointing fingers at Yoruba`s and Ndigbo 4 being the first ethnic groups to attempt and stage a coup in Nigeria, yet he conveniently left out the first successful ethnic cleansing in Nigeria carried out by the North. His opinion on Nigeria is full of bias.

Find below extracts from his writings

"The Yoruba elite were the first, in 1962, to attempt a violent overthrow of an elected government in this country"""

"It is, therefore, not surprising that the Igbo were the prime movers of the first successful military mutiny which eliminated the political leaders and senior officers of the North and West while letting-off those of the East. It is also not surprising that the transformation of the polity from a Federation to a Unitary State was the handiwork of an Igbo leader, Gen. Ironsi by military decree (Decree No 34 of May, 1966)"
Re: Sanusi's Very Interesting Perspective - We Are Products Of Colonialism - by keta11(m): 3:26pm On Nov 27, 2009
I just wish the clown would consider/ care a little bit about the effects his approach to the re-regulation of the banks (which most agree is necessary) has had on the capital markets - primary and secondary market basically ground to a HALT, domestic and international confidence destroyed, nothing happening in the private sector, only government borrowing going on!!!

The guy already lost me N4.5 million in the stock market (from N6.7 million up) since he started his gra gra!!!

And can he slow down on his pseudo-intellectualism and idiotic musings on social issues - It actually shows when someone is trying too hard!! He really doesnt look and sound like a central bank governor to me!!!!!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Old And Culture And History Pictures / TFA Symposium For Young & Emerging Leaders At Muson Centre / GEJ Divides Newly Formed Opposition Party A.P.C.....Me I dey Laugh!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.