Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens (39606 Views)

We Pay N1.5billion To Poorest Nigerians Monthly - VP Osinbajo Says / "Jonathan, The Poorest Ex-President, His Parlour Can’t Hold 10 People" - Igali / How We Selected Beneficiaries Of N5,000 Stipend To Poorest Nigerians- Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 4:19pm On Jan 03, 2017
mmsen:

They have? Can you show me evidence of said expenditure? Have you actually looked at the budget?

And why did you duck my question on criteria? How are they identifying the qualifying parties?

1. The govt voted more to capital expenditure than her predecessors, is that false? You should be in better position to refute if they are not spending on capital expenditure, as 2016 performance window closes in March

2. Are you still asking a question on criteria? Are you telling me that you go into argument without reading? The reports stated exactly the modalities of how these people are selected yet you still bother to ask a question that the answer is obvious
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 4:21pm On Jan 03, 2017
Lexusgs430:

LOL........
Oga, how you take know my condition?

Bros,

Be careful of what you wish on yourself o!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mmsen: 4:31pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

1. The govt voted more to capital expenditure than her predecessors, is that false? You should be in better position to refute if they are not spending on capital expenditure, as 2016 performance window closes in March

2. Are you still asking a question on criteria? Are you telling me that you go into argument without reading? The reports stated exactly the modalities of how these people are selected yet you still bother to ask a question that the answer is obvious

Which budget are you talking about the padded non-budget of 2016 or the 2017's inflated budget in which the recurrent expenditure is still greater than the capital expenditure?

As to the free money that this government is handing out the article claims that there is 'Community Based Targeting' - those aren't a list of criteria, I'm asking you since you speak with such certainty about this matter.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 4:34pm On Jan 03, 2017
mmsen:

Which budget are you talking about the padded non-budget of 2016 or the 2017's inflated budget in which the recurrent expenditure is still greater than the capital expenditure?

As to the free money that this government is handing out the article claims that there is 'Community Based Testing' - those aren't a list of criteria, I'm asking you since you speak with such certainty about this matter.

Is this a demonstration of evasiveness or a demonstration of lack of comprehension. You will do better to go back and read with a view to understand rather than ask needless question
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by freshboi88: 4:37pm On Jan 03, 2017
Anyone complaining is a big fool. This promises were made during d campaign and it was on these promises that the govt rode to power. When this promises were not fulfilled you called the govt scam.... Now they r fulfilling their promises, u r now questioning the promises.......

Govt does it's school feeding problem u complain, govt does N-power u complain now this u r complaining.....

What do u want??......
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mmsen: 4:38pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

Is this a demonstration of evasiveness or a demonstration of lack of comprehension. You will do better to go back and read with a view to understand rather than ask needless question

The nine pilot states were chosen because they have an existing Social Register that successfully identified the most vulnerable and poorest Nigerians through a tried and tested community based targeting (CBT) method working with the World Bank. However other states have already begun developing their Social Registers and would be included in subsequent phases of the CCT implementation.”

It doesn't list the criteria.

Over to you.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 4:43pm On Jan 03, 2017
mmsen:

The nine pilot states were chosen because they have an existing Social Register that successfully identified the most vulnerable and poorest Nigerians through a tried and tested community based targeting (CBT) method working with the World Bank. However other states have already begun developing their Social Registers and would be included in subsequent phases of the CCT implementation.”

It doesn't list the criteria.

Over to you.

OMG!!!!!

Ok....There is no set criteria, they just put their "family members" and the world bank endorsed it.........

Satisfied? grin
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mmsen: 4:47pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

OMG!!!!!

Ok....There is no set criteria, they just put their "family members" and the world bank endorsed it.........

Satisfied? grin

'World Bank' is not a list of criteria.

Or are you foolish enough to believe that because it says World Bank certified that that means anything?

You mean the same World Bank that gifted Edo State $75 miilion?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by musicwriter(m): 4:48pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

Pls quit the arrogant postures laced with ignorance. Yes on one hand, the World bank keeps data, but many states also keep some form of data. Many people just speak in ignorance. States do keep many forms of data, especially their partnership and work with donor agencies,NGOs and international bodies requires they do so.

Meanwhile did the report say they used World bank data?

The nine pilot states were chosen because they have an existing Social Register that successfully identified the most vulnerable and poorest Nigerians through a tried and tested community based targeting (CBT) method working with the World Bank.

According to the statement, the federal government, with the support of the World Bank, has adopted the CBT for developing the social register in the other states around the country for transparency, objectivity and credibility in the selection of the poorest and vulnerable Nigerians.

You're probably one of the victim of education in Nigeria brandishing around a fake paper they gave you in school as educated.

Please explain me the above in bold.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 4:57pm On Jan 03, 2017
musicwriter:

You're probably one of the victim of education in Nigeria brandishing the fake paper they gave you in school as educated.

Please explain me the above in quote.

I will gladly trade away the foreign education you claim to have for a Nigerian "artisanal-apprentiship". But I will gladly oblige you......

The nine pilot states were chosen because they have an existing Social Register that successfully identified the most vulnerable and poorest Nigerians through a tried and tested community based targeting (CBT) method -
This clearly shows these state have a workable database

through a tried and tested community based targeting (CBT) method working with the World Bank.

I guess your confusion comes from the above quoted part shey? Pls tell, who is the owner, the custodian and the partner? You mean the world bank has data and these states did not know about it?

According to the statement, the federal government, with the support of the World Bank, has adopted the CBT for developing the social register in the other states around the country for transparency, objectivity and credibility in the selection of the poorest and vulnerable Nigerians.

How ironic you resubmitted the above quoted, yet you ask the lame question below?

..Otherwise, how could the world bank have such important data about Nigeria while the Nigerian government have none? Aren't there statisticians coming out of our universities?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 5:00pm On Jan 03, 2017
mmsen:

'World Bank' is not a list of criteria.

Or are you foolish enough to believe that because it says World Bank certified that that means anything?

You mean the same World Bank that gifted Edo State $75 miilion?

Did I tell you World Bank is a criteria list? I cannot help beyond this point Bro
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Lexusgs430: 5:08pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

Bros,

Be careful of what you wish on yourself o!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Oga all tilapia fish get scales, pesin no dey see wetin dey under the scales
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by musicwriter(m): 5:15pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

through a tried and tested community based targeting (CBT) method working with the World Bank.

They developed the data working with the world bank!. Its clear they had to work with the world bank to trust their own indices for maintaning such data!!

According to the statement, the federal government, with the support of the World Bank.

Same as above. You're the one confused, not me.

Why the world bank anywhere? Why not the Nigeria bureau of statistics- NBS?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Lexusgs430: 5:28pm On Jan 03, 2017
darknetcom:

he is not...he can afford data...

So you think us poor cannot afford data?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 5:31pm On Jan 03, 2017
musicwriter:

They developed the data working with the world bank!. Its clear they had to work with the world bank to trust their own indices for maintaning such data!!

Same as above. You're the one confused, not me.

Why the world bank anywhere? Why not the Nigeria bureau of statistics- NBS?

It is foolhardy to continue a needless argument with you.......

thanx
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Blackteeth(m): 5:31pm On Jan 03, 2017
curiositymaster:

How are you sure all the beggars at the motor parks are really poor? Some of those 'Beggars' are landlords you know. Their is one aboki beggar like that who has more than 3 okadas that do deliver for him.
aknabob:

some beggars are better than some ppl, bt u wouldn't knw cos dey are begging
ceejay80s:

Don't let those beggars deceive u, in 2002, I know a beggar who begs in ebute metta area of lagos state, he sits and begs opposite my friends shop, I traveled to kano and saw this same man raring cattles, he has a lot and when he's done in kano, he comes back to lagos to begg again
efilefun:
Dont be surprise some of those dudes are well comfortable "financially" but they prefer begging as a source of income, while they have stores and co managed by either their kids or spouse. There are also some group of mallams who are being paid % of what they earned by the people who shipped them from the north to various locations to beg and earn
So because you guys knew one or two beggars doing well therefore every other beggars are doing well too and should not be taken serious and given assistance? Na wah for una reasoning oh
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by musicwriter(m): 5:31pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

Here is another one for you.

The Federal Ministry of Transportation is to partner the World Bank on the development of a comprehensive Land Transportation Policy in the Country.

Details at https://www.nairaland.com/3073527/amaechi-partner-world-bank-comprehensive

Such a pity we have to rely on a Washington DC headquartered organization to formulate transport policies in Niegria. What a shame!!!

I don't know whether our problem is not trusting ourselves anymore. Even in this country, I' am sure a good undergraduate from a good university who knows what he/she is doing in school would be able to do a clean job on this as a project.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Blackteeth(m): 5:39pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

Essentially the scheme is not for beggars. The Lagos State government has for example discouraged people from giving beggars money, especially the "perpetual beggars". The Lagos state government estimated that an average street beggar goes home with nothing less than N3,500 a day........
The Lagos State government is a fool. The government would never employ beggars and the same time they are discouraging people from assisting them. How then do you want them to survive? So because they make 100k per month therefore they shouldn't be giving help anymore? They should all die? What if these beggars resort to crime to survive would that be better?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by mapet: 5:47pm On Jan 03, 2017
Blackteeth:

The Lagos State government is a fool. The government would never employ beggars and the same time they are discouraging people from assisting them. How then do you want them to survive? So because they make 100k per month therefore they shouldn't be giving help anymore? They should all die? What if these beggars resort to crime to survive would that be better?

err...... No comments
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jan 03, 2017
Qmerit:

ok:: and what if he's not there at all and ve them not being surviving?
They have being surviving all these while but PMB is only raising false hopes.You and I know that such an amount is nothing to write about but my concern is will this money get to the right persons? Na Nigeria we dey oh forget all dos grammar wen dem dey talk. Common SURE-P dem non fit manage na dis one dem wan do?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by darknetcom: 6:36pm On Jan 03, 2017
Lexusgs430:

So you think us poor cannot afford data?

what do you even understand under poor??...
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Boydehot: 6:57pm On Jan 03, 2017
Who are the unemployed graduate? Which data base will be use to checkmate the money distribution or is this another avenue to embezzle money.
mapet:

Where did the FG tell you monies will be "distributed to all account holders" or all Nigerians
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Lexusgs430: 6:59pm On Jan 03, 2017
darknetcom:

what do you even understand under poor??...

Does been poor have another classification?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by darknetcom: 7:14pm On Jan 03, 2017
Lexusgs430:

Does been poor have another classification?

i think we need a classification of what is poor..

if you are a beggar on the streets,you dont have time to comment on nairaland...
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Qmerit(m): 7:30pm On Jan 03, 2017
asuustrike2009:

They have being surviving all these while but PMB is only raising false hopes.You and I know that such an amount is nothing to write about but my concern is will this money get to the right persons? Na Nigeria we dey oh forget all dos grammar wen dem dey talk. Common SURE-P dem non fit manage na dis one dem wan do?

That's true but this is another govt let give it a benefit of doubt!!!!
I only like it cause it is said to be campaign pledge(s)
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Lexusgs430: 7:41pm On Jan 03, 2017
darknetcom:

i think we need a classification of what is poor..

if you are a beggar on the streets,you dont have time to comment on nairaland...

Tell me you have never seen a beggar with a smartphone before?
Beggars even have more spare time to comment on nairaland.......
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Fortissimo502: 7:56pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

1. ....and who tells you infrastructure is not being fixed?
2. who tells you that concentrating on "infrastructure" along is the quick fix.

1. I can see with my eyes.

2. I'm not asking for a quick fix. The 5k per month thing is the quick fix. Focusing on infrastructure is much more strategic with potentially longer lasting economic benefits.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Geniro: 8:09pm On Jan 03, 2017
greenpasture:

Absolutely.
And how do you get the poor into the system? By creating an incentive to do so.
How do you pay for the incentive? By lowering governments health care bill per family through early immunization of preventable diseases.

You still don't get it. There isn't any efforts to gather such database in the first place which is paramount. Without data in place, how do one zero in on preference ?.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jan 03, 2017
Geniro:

You still don't get it. There isn't any efforts to gather such database in the first place which is paramount. Without data in place, how do one zero in on preference ?.

The CBN/MoF use the BVN biometric based database. This is currently the most accurate database today.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Geniro: 9:19pm On Jan 03, 2017
greenpasture:

The CBN/MoF use the BVN biometric based database. This is currently the most accurate database today.

Why use a biometric that is starkly lacking in sample size. A sizeable number of the most vulnerable Nigerians in the high majority are un-banked.

Now what happens to them ?
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Kingspin(m): 9:32pm On Jan 03, 2017
mapet:

1. You are asking questions that are laced in total ignorance
2. you are asking question you can research yourself by reading up on the CCT

I laugh when I see people tout better laws and good regulations as a panacea/magic wand. Laughable because you lot just sit your behinds in some countries and think the same template works everywhere
You are the one that is highly living inside ignorance. How do you think Counties like Dubai and European are doing it? They have made good plans, rules and regulations and have been carrying them out for better development of their society and people. If you break the law no matter how you are you find it difficult to escape. Nigeria is one of the most internal divided people. A country dwelling so much on religion and tribalism rather than development will struggle to grow and may never grow. The country will never move forward unless they have agree on that in practice/action. I don't need to type too much one thing is to make law and another is to fellow it or get punished for it. If you fail on this regard you are calling for anarchy. Our leaders know the right things but pride selfishness,greed and lack of love for the country and one another will not allow them. Those calling for restructuring of the system has a big point.
Re: Nigerian Government Starts Paying N5,000 Every Month To Poorest Citizens by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 03, 2017
Geniro:

Why use a biometric that is starkly lacking in sample size. A sizeable number of the most vulnerable Nigerians in the high majority are un-banked.

Now what happens to them ?

I am not sure many understand that the overall aim of the conditional cash credit is to stimulate the economy as a means of reducing long term poverty. 2% of Nigerians own over 90% of money in the banking system so definitely 1m beneficiaries out of a total population of 160m plus is a drop in the ocean.

However when it comes to stimulating the economy, the injection of this amount monthly and it's multiplier effect at the base of the pyramid especially towards agriculture is immense.

So
1. Will it wipe out poverty in the short term NO
2. Will it stimulate a domesticated economy YES
3. Will it improve Healthcare through mandatory inoculation of beneficiary households YES
4. Will it provide incentive that increase financial inclusion YES
5. Will the cumulative impact of 2&3 reduce long term poverty YES

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fashola: DSS Has Arrested My Brother Over Alleged Defamation - Ibezim Nnamdi / Abioye Olajide Is Alive! His Company Paid ₦3.5M Ransom For His Release / Imo APC Secretariat Set On Fire By Hoodlums (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.