Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,298 members, 7,819,006 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

Learn To Speak Ikwerre - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Learn To Speak Ikwerre (15823 Views)

Ikwerre Of Rivers, Ukwani And Ika Of Delta Are Not Igbo. Here Is Proof / Ikwerre Music / Are There Two Types Of Ikwerre? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Probz(m): 9:46pm On Feb 08, 2017
bigfrancis, is Ogba a dialect of Igbo language proper or an Igboid language?
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ChinenyeN(m): 3:33pm On Feb 09, 2017
Probz:

What is Igbo language proper?
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Probz(m): 6:35pm On Feb 09, 2017
ChinenyeN:

What is Igbo language proper?

We've been through this before. There's a different between dialect and related/oid language.
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by ChinenyeN(m): 6:52pm On Feb 09, 2017
I see. Very well. I'll leave this one be today.
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Probz(m): 8:18pm On Feb 09, 2017
No point stirring and leaving vague statements, Chinenye. Don’t hold back on educating me.
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by bigfrancis21: 4:42am On Feb 10, 2017
Probz:

From my understanding, the difference between an Igbo dialect and an Igboid language would depend on the level of mutual intelligibility between the said dialect under question and other dialects considered under the Igbo dialect continuum. In other words, an Igbo dialect is one which shows little divergence from other Igbo dialects and is mutually intelligible to others, on the other hand, an Igboid language is one that exhibits a high divergence from other 'Igbo dialects' but has a little relationship, such as words or sentence structure, with other dialects under the Igboid umbrella. In other words, Igboid language means 'looks like Igbo but is not Igbo'. Ogba speech form shares similarity to Ndokwa but with more southern influence compared to more 'anambra' influence on Ndokwa. Ordinarily, Ogba should be an Igbo dialect and Ekpeye (akpaohia) would be an Igboid language (it shares some level of mutuality with other Igbo dialects but has significant non-Igbo influence also that would make it stay on its own).

For example, while Onitsha would say, ife oma Nna melu m, Ekpeye would say, iyu uma Ida meni me. In terms of pronunciation, it is exactly alike as other Igbo dialect speakers pronounce the words with the usual inflections, however one could see a high divergence of the actual words of Ekpeye.

My issue with Robinson's classification of 'Igbo language' and 'Igboid language' is that such classification may have been made according to which bia-speaking clan accepts being Igbo or not. For example, while Eche dialect is not much different from Owerri dialect, Owerri dialect is classified as an Igbo dialect and Etche probably as an Igboid language.

To answer your question, Ogba should be an Igbo dialect (based on high degree of mutuality) and Ekpeye an Igboid language.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Probz(m): 11:16pm On Feb 10, 2017
bigfrancis21:

From my understanding, the difference between an Igbo dialect and an Igboid language would depend on the level of mutual intelligibility between the said dialect under question and other dialects considered under the Igbo dialect continuum. In other words, an Igbo dialect is one which shows little divergence from other Igbo dialects and is mutually intelligible to others, on the other hand, an Igboid language is one that exhibits a high divergence from other 'Igbo dialects' but has a little relationship, such as words or sentence structure, with other dialects under the Igboid umbrella. In other words, Igboid language means 'looks like Igbo but is not Igbo'. Ogba speech form shares similarity to Ndokwa but with more southern influence compared to more 'anambra' influence on Ndokwa. Ordinarily, Ogba should be an Igbo dialect and Ekpeye (akpaohia) would be an Igboid language (it shares some level of mutuality with other Igbo dialects but has significant non-Igbo influence also that would make it stay on its own).

For example, while Onitsha would say, ife oma Nna melu m, Ekpeye would say, iyu uma Ida meni me. In terms of pronunciation, it is exactly alike as other Igbo dialect speakers pronounce the words with the usual inflections, however one could see a high divergence of the actual words of Ekpeye.

My issue with Robinson's classification of 'Igbo language' and 'Igboid language' is that such classification may have been made according to which bia-speaking clan accepts being Igbo or not. For example, while Eche dialect is not much different from Owerri dialect, Owerri dialect is classified as an Igbo dialect and Etche probably as an Igboid language.

To answer your question, Ogba should be an Igbo dialect (based on high degree of mutuality) and Ekpeye an Igboid language.

I see. And what's the history behind Ogbas, Bonny-Opobo, Ndoni, Etche and other Igbo-speaking areas of Rivers? I started a thread on this a while back re. Rivers and Delta Igbos and their indigenous languages/dialects + culture but it went nowhere.

I don't see Ika and Ukwuanis (Bendel Igbos) as Igbo but I'd be more than happy to re-consider that stance if someone could enlighten me on their traditional society and language. Originally Bini people who only mingled with Igbos recently or what? Those are the sort of questions I want answering.
Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by Afam4eva(m): 9:31pm On Feb 11, 2017
bigfrancis21:

[b]From my understanding, the difference between an Igbo dialect and an Igboid language would depend on the level of mutual intelligibility between the said dialect under question and other dialects considered under the Igbo dialect continuum. In other words, an Igbo dialect is one which shows little divergence from other Igbo dialects and is mutually intelligible to others, on the other hand, an Igboid language is one that exhibits a high divergence from other 'Igbo dialects' but has a little relationship, such as words or sentence structure, with other dialects under the Igboid umbrella. In other words, Igboid language means 'looks like Igbo but is not Igbo'. Ogba speech form shares similarity to Ndokwa but with more southern influence compared to more 'anambra' influence on Ndokwa. Ordinarily, Ogba should be an Igbo dialect and Ekpeye (akpaohia) would be an Igboid language (it shares some level of mutuality with other Igbo dialects but has significant non-Igbo influence also that would make it stay on its own).

To answer your question, Ogba should be an Igbo dialect (based on high degree of mutuality) and Ekpeye an Igboid language.[/b]
No offence but i think all these definitions about the differences between Igbo and Igboid are nothing but balderdash. The reason i say so is that, if we were to go by your definition for example,you'll realize that not every part of the South East will fall into your definition of Igbo dialect. As for the term Igboid, it's just an attempt at political correctness. It's a way of linking the language spoken by Ikwerres or Ogba people to the Igbos of the south-east without calling them Igbo. It's a way of seperating ethnicity from language considering that ethnicity has become more of a political term than a cultural one. Have you heard people from the Ezza/Izzi axis speak their dialect of Igbo? I don't see how it's more intellegible to other Igbo dialect as compared to Ikwerre and co.

1 Like

Re: Learn To Speak Ikwerre by chibxyz: 12:05pm On Apr 15, 2020

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Fanfare As Akanu Ohafia Holds 2021 Ekpe, New Yam Festivals (pix, VIDEO) / This Woman Explains Why She Hates Being Black! / Igede Names And Their Meaning

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.