Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,648 members, 7,823,834 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. (30849 Views)

Lady Sacked For Refusing To Say Good Morning To Her Co-Worker / My Boss' Relationship With A Co-Worker Is Affecting Our Productivity / Things To Consider Before Dating A Co-worker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Richy4(m): 4:46pm On Jan 04, 2017
agabusta:

Are you sure you are of working age and living in Nigeria?? A lot of small companies do not give employment letter. A sizable number of private schools inclusive. Its only people that have option of another job or have just started job search that declines such offers.

Desperate job seekers usually take the offer with the mind of moving on when a better offer comes.

You either reject or accept the offer. There is no one to report to. A lot of people without any other option usually takes such offer in good fate.

Trust me I am old enough... But you are right I have never worked in Nigeria....You made mention of desperate job seekers taking an offer...what offer..oral offer of appointment or what?
I am asking all this because I find it hard to understand how someone can start a job without an employment letter no matter how small the Establishment is/was....Because a lot of things are at stake without that letter
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by hizaya61(m): 4:47pm On Jan 04, 2017
jimoqua:
That how Indian behaves , i remember when a colleague of mine was given a suspension for talking to an indian harshly, The HR of that company who is a Nigerian was busy looking for a replacement and other Nigerians are busy happy that there colleagues is going to be sacked. Can you imagine. Arrant nonsense. They treat Nigerian like slaves and they pay Nigerian stipend . Our government are not helping matters . How can you be paying a graduate 20k, 30k etc. Too bad

BRO, YOU ARE SO CORRECT, THEY WILL TELL YOU THEY DONT NEED YOUR MBA, BSC OR HND CERTIFICATE because THEY WILL PAY YOU LIKE A SECONDARY SCHOOL CERTIFICATE HOLDER
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Sanchez01: 4:51pm On Jan 04, 2017
BCISLTD:

Bros...they are a 1001 ways to prove employment..salary evidence...any form of allowances..even the sack letter..as a matter of fact any form of communication between the parties during the duration of work....and the law is on his side because the coy didn't state any terms so general terms are applicable...he just need to pursue it
You are very correct. There are so many ways to prove that he worked with them. But was there a binding agreement ab initio? You think he would be handed a sack letter when he was not given an employment letter? This can't happen. He was hired verbally and would be fired in the same manner. As long as it is the legal route, the 'contract' between them, which was to be his employment letter is missing. His statement of account could show he worked with the company, his colleagues might confirm it but in the end, he was just a ghost without a proof there. As far as the law is concerned, he has lost. Anyone can claim to have worked with Shell, what matters most at the end of the day is the letter which indicated that you were absorbed into Shell.

2 Likes

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Bennycollins: 5:03pm On Jan 04, 2017
hizaya61:

He's a contract staff and No employment letter for contract staff. But no work on public holidays.
. No employment letter for him? That alone is a violation of Nigeria labour law. Slave labour it is. A worker, whether full time or contract should be issued an employment letter conveying terms and conditions.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jan 04, 2017
Kindly tell the guy to report this case to the Labour Union, the company would be charged to court if found guilty, the guy would be compensated
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Oluwasegun21: 5:15pm On Jan 04, 2017
HarveySpecter1:

Oga, lots of big companies in Nigeria do not give their employees employment contract.
Lol,stop joking. Pls name 1 big company dat doesnt give employment contract
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by hizaya61(m): 5:18pm On Jan 04, 2017
skypeme:
Kindly tell the guy to report this case to the Labour Union, the company would be charged to court if found guilty, the guy would be compensated

HE TOLD ME THE ISSUE HAS BEEN REPORTED TO HUMAN RIGHT, I PRAY HUMAN RIGHT DO THE NEEDFUL.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Jammiiee(m): 5:23pm On Jan 04, 2017
Do u mean CCECC, that construction company
sojikul:
Those idot asia they are neither Christian nor Muslims they don't support any celebrations at all the so call CECCE are for example they told us to work 7day a week, 4weeks a month, 12months a year no Sunday's no Friday's no Christmas no new year no salah in short no public holidays.

1 Like

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Oluwasegun21: 5:23pm On Jan 04, 2017
agabusta:

It has nothing to do with ignorance. It is the circumstances each person finds his or herself. if you have looked for job for a long time and you finally find one and they just asked you to resume without a letter. You'll do if you don't have any other option.

It is left for the Ministry of Labour to enforce this labour laws or provide a good avenue for people to report non-compliance.

I know a lot of people working without an employment letter. I cant asked them to resign as i don't have another job to offer them. What most people does is just to keep working there with the hope of later moving to a better and standard company when the opportunity comes. And if the opportunity still does not come, they will just be there.
Am nt saying d person should resign,just politely ask the HR 4 ur contract,its ur right.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by spoilerx: 5:26pm On Jan 04, 2017
hizaya61:
Dear friends, my eyes has seen many rubbish working with Indians, they maltreat we blacks as if the country belong to them. yesterday they sacked a co-worker for not coming to work on "January 2nd" public holiday, which was posted by the hr manager on the notice board. after he reported the issue to the hr manager that the head of the department "Nigerian" said they have sack him, the hr manager said there's nothing he can do. the so called "union" and the black management staff cant even say anything because the level of high service is 1000% they are always afraid of confronting this Indians, then i use to hear of people talking about modern slavery now i also have experienced it. one day very soon they will started putting chains in our hands and legs. i guess the hr manager is suppose to handle issues like this or am i wrong ?

What is the name of the organisation ?
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by chukxie(m): 5:29pm On Jan 04, 2017
Stuff like this is why I'm self employed. Cos with vex I fit mend all the curry and chicken birani from the Indian boss head grin
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Oluwasegun21: 5:32pm On Jan 04, 2017
skypeme:
Labour union is nt in charge of employment issues. NIC is,and pls without an employment contract signed by the person,the case is already lost nomata oda form of identity wit the firm. The firm could claim his I.D card,statement of acc and odaz is fake in court.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Forex2020247: 5:40pm On Jan 04, 2017
DANTATA and sawoe construction at Dangote fertilizer plant don't give their worker offer letter. When you start they will renege from what you agree with them.
There is one Mr John HR they are using to do evil.

1 Like

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by agabusta: 5:58pm On Jan 04, 2017
Oluwasegun21:

Am nt saying d person should resign,just politely ask the HR 4 ur contract,its ur right.

And if the HR refuse to give the letter? Or what if the company or organisation does not even have HR. It still boils down to "you either take it like that or leave it".

Most of those companies are like that because the enforcement of our labour laws are lax. And also because of the oversaturation of the job market with job seekers.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jan 04, 2017
onward4life:

Hahahahahaha
Lemme drop a Verse
real quick like I dey Vex

Imagine these Indian nonsense happening in Wole soyinkas country and all he said to indigenes is I share same space with imbeciles including rubbish Pirates cult of yours abi.
They are only doing yu a favour bro always remember that. They gave you job irrespective of your tribal region and religion abi.

Most of the online proud tribal members are simply waiting for their parents inheritance share non is really as successful as they posted on Instagram . No love for even the so call tribe they defend with slight family and ancestral problem occasionally.

Naija were we kill ladies and put in sewers. Tribalism on nairaland Moderators like to enjoy and push there bigotry to front pages for the young and the World to see hw black our anus really tinkles now that sucks

Cult fight every where beheading their way to favourable election results. Fulani going on rampages killing babes and children for cattles to reap from the National anthem I thought was for our generations even yet unborn.

The president in only employing an trusting his likes. 270million to clear IDP camps. If yu had spread ordinary 2million they wud scrape the ground till they meet devil in his palour.

Leave them if they sack yu now and yu happen to be from a particular tribe or religion you are toast. Open your mouth they call yu a wailer they Never believe Bob Marley Wailed is gut guts for us to jolly reggae music. I thank my God non of you where born in the days of Nelson mandela and Martin Lurther king because soon non of you would believed they ever existed like Jesus Christ and Dec 25th. Dame you atheist. I see your posts these days making fron pages.

And you expect Indians to like your bulk bottom abi.
Tribal addicts have y all ever ask what hardships the physically challenged in your various tribes are really facing. Or your tribe is so blessed that no handicap in your entire group photo.
Blacks on white skins is thieving
**drops mc**

#proudlyOldBendelBoys.
#naturallyfinest
#freedomWriters

this post should be eternally pinned on nairaland homepage

2 Likes

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by oyejideogunjumo: 7:02pm On Jan 04, 2017
Benjom:
The information you provided here is vague. You'll do well to mention the name and location of the company in question at least.
Have you gotten another job for him?
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by davidif: 7:09pm On Jan 04, 2017
hizaya61:
Dear friends, my eyes has seen many rubbish working with Indians, they maltreat we blacks as if the country belong to them. yesterday they sacked a co-worker for not coming to work on "January 2nd" public holiday, which was posted by the hr manager on the notice board. after he reported the issue to the hr manager that the head of the department "Nigerian" said they have sack him, the hr manager said there's nothing he can do. the so called "union" and the black management staff cant even say anything because the level of high service is 1000% they are always afraid of confronting this Indians, then i use to hear of people talking about modern slavery now i also have experienced it. one day very soon they will started putting chains in our hands and legs. i guess the hr manager is suppose to handle issues like this or am i wrong ?

Where is the dept of labour in all tgis?
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by tosyne2much(m): 7:14pm On Jan 04, 2017
hizaya61:

I think it was a prejudiced termination but no one can fight for your friend since he has no documented letter of appointment

1 Like

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by quaid(m): 7:16pm On Jan 04, 2017
Pls OP, did every other staff attend work that day? 2. Was he expected to attend work by his boss?
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by GboyegaD(m): 7:18pm On Jan 04, 2017
hizaya61:

i cant.

How then do you want this nipped in the bud? If you can't, then don't complain.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 04, 2017
Oluwasegun21:

Sue? Stop joking.What proff does he have dat he works for the firm? Dnt u get it, he doesnt have an employment contract.
I hope the company has been paying him by cash. if they have been transfering salaries into his account, then the lawyer may explore opportunities to use that as an evidence of employment.

The lawyer may also be able to get evidence from current employees as to whether they have letters or contract of employment. Most likely it is a "no". This may establish that the company has a practice of not giving letters/contracts of employment.

Hopefully the case can then be built that the company does not give letters/contracts of employment and it can seize to be a defence for them.

By the way, is the employee aware that he has to be at work on those days? How many employees were absent on that day and why do you think this guy was singles out to be sacked?
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by BCISLTD: 8:34pm On Jan 04, 2017
Sanchez01:

You are very correct. There are so many ways to prove that he worked with them. But was there a binding agreement ab initio? You think he would be handed a sack letter when he was not given an employment letter? This can't happen. He was hired verbally and would be fired in the same manner. As long as it is the legal route, the 'contract' between them, which was to be his employment letter is missing. His statement of account could show he worked with the company, his colleagues might confirm it but in the end, he was just a ghost without a proof there. As far as the law is concerned, he has lost. Anyone can claim to have worked with Shell, what matters most at the end of the day is the letter which indicated that you were absorbed into Shell.

Bro I'm talking from an experienced stand point..any company that has ever had employee contract matters will never ever anyone without a contract...been there .. done that.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Sanchez01: 8:39pm On Jan 04, 2017
BCISLTD:

Bro I'm talking from an experienced stand point..any company that has ever had employee contract matters will never ever anyone without a contract...been there .. done that.
I quote understand you. But then again, we're not talking Nigerians nor a Nigerian company here. We're talking about horrible Asians who employ and fire the next day. They didn't bother to give him an employment letter because it has been a practice with them. Truth is, our law is so messed up that these folks enjoy more rights than us. They could maltreat anyone who work them and get away with it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jan 04, 2017
hizaya61:

i cant.
what s the point in ranting and nagging? you complain that a company sacked ur colleague and maltreats its workers? yet u wont expose, ur a slave in love with his chains. enjoy

1 Like

Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by ricki: 9:00pm On Jan 04, 2017
hizaya61:

i cant.

and slavery continues as such............

ma nigga.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by duncan511: 9:34pm On Jan 04, 2017
If no work on public holiday, did u go, cause ur friend he was sack because of his absent, did u go
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by shigo20(m): 9:35pm On Jan 04, 2017
if the company is in ibadan i can rightfully said sumal foods coz i once work their i had to leave their job after 3 month
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by delishpot: 9:55pm On Jan 04, 2017
OP, una pkele. With the current economic situation, you guys have a looong way to go with them unless una ready to challenge them and fight if need be.
Re: A Co-worker Was Sacked Yesterday For Not Coming To Work On Public Holiday. by youngsahito(m): 10:34pm On Jan 04, 2017
I work in a company where our work is three shift and no off or public holiday for contract staff I.e Sunday to Sunday. they will never give u any employment letter...There is no labour union that fight for the common people here in Nigeria.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My MD Slapped Me, Please I Need Your Advice / 10 Reasons Why Some People Will Never Succeed / Fuel Subsidy Removal: Lapo MFB Increases Staff Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.