Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,271 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja (9120 Views)

U.S. Embassy Abuja New Procedure For Drop Box Renewals / Your Most Embarrassing Moment At The US Embassy, Abuja/Lagos / My Experience At The American Embassy Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by mrofficial(m): 7:27pm On Nov 21, 2009
I recall vividly a couple of weeks ago reading on a daily newspaper about a young man who complained bitterly about the shabby treatment meted to him at the Polish embassy ,ona crescent,maitama, Abuja.Just weeks later i find the allegations of that report to be true,i personally had my own taste  of the bitter experience.I therefore decided to do something about it.I believe the easiest way to improve our dear country Nigeria is to 'be the change'  you desire.I like thousands of other nigerians got an admission to study at a university in Poland. As its required for student visa applications,i paid my full tuition fees to the university and thoroughly studied all other requirements to be met as clearly stated on the website of the embassy(  http://www.abuja.polemb.net/)and  and on the notice board placed at the gate of the embassy .I felt confident about getting the visa after painstakingly fulfilling all the rigorous processes and documentation to be met.I applied for the visa as at when due ,paid the visa fees and was told to call back after a few weeks to know the result of the application for the visa.I called a few weeks later and got a cold shock,i was told on the phone that my visa was refused.My first response to the person i spoke to on the phone was;please may i kindly understand why my visa was refused because i am very sure that i had met and surpassed every criteria set for the granting of a study visa.Even more shocking i was told by the same staff that the embassy does not have a reason for denying me and that the decision was final.After making that call my next response was to begin to call every other person i had met that applied for a study visa on the same day as i did,interestingly over ninety percent of the other applicants were refused too.I wanted to assume that it was just those who applied at the same time as i did that were refused visas but i was wrong. By the time i  physically got to the embassy at maitama,abuja to find out what was really going on,i discovered that  out of the hundreds of other nigerians who i met there  day in and day out ,a large majority of them were refused visas,the statistics was clear; that the refusal rate was well over ninety percent.It meant that only one  out of every ten nigerians that applied and paid visa application fee was actually given the polish visa.While still trying to comprehend this discriminatory high visa refusal rates of nigerians,more disturbing was the fact that we were clearly stopped from  attempting to appeal the irrational visa decisions because a lot of us were very sure that there were errors in those decisions made.They sarcastically told us that they do not give anyone grounds for appeal on irrational visa decisions that they make.At first we wondered if may be on an individual basis there were some things that we did not do right in our applications but by consulting with each other, especially those that applied for study visas,collectively it then dawned on us that the administration of the polish embassy abuja is clearly  a discriminatory and exploitative one.They are simply and only interested in collecting the visa fees and nothing else.Our observation is that the embassy is very inefficient in its administration as it is incapable of  even carrying out the least investigation to determine the evidence that is given to  them .An example of this is a case of a student that was refused visa also and yet his Parents who were his sponsors,had an account funded with well over ten million naira,meaning that he had sufficient funds for his education.In the same vein many of us nigerians that were applying for study visas had fat account statements  with sufficient funds for our education in whatever capacity, economy or currency you may want to judge it  or compare it with.We were not only dealing with a lousy and inefficient embassy we were also dealing with an embassy that was discriminatory,inhumane and exploitative to nigerians.An embassy were so many nigerian applicants are made to stand outside the gate for lengthy hours without  a shelter under extreme weather conditions in heavy rains and hot sun,only to refuse their visa applications without a reason.They do not think the nigerian applicant deserves the dignity of an official letter to explain the reason for a visa refusal.We now wonder why they collect the visa fees if they cannot even dignify a nigerian visa applicant by typing an official letter explaining a visa refusal.Its equally frustrating to be told that they do not have a justice system in place ,where visa applicants that feel aggrieved can appeal a decision.Even worse is a known fact that corruption does exist in the embassy.Many applicants for study visa narrate how they were approached for bribe to facilitate the visa process by embassy staff only to still be disappointed after desperately doling out funds.Conclusively this report is made to alert nigerians to beware of exploitative and discriminatory embassies that are clearly after your visa fees.Nigerians are adviced not to waste precious time and monies trying to apply for visa at the Polish embassy Abuja.Its not worth the humilation and stress.If we must travel,there are so many other embassies that have learnt to treat nigerians with the dignity and respect that we  deserve in our own country.We cannot force the Polish embassy to give nigerians the polish visa but we can protect the interest of nigerians from being exploited if we suceed in drastically reducing the visa fees which they get from nigerians.Its a fact that if nigerians stop paying those fees in droves,the income of the embassy would be greatly affected and then they would be compelled to change their discriminatory attitude towards nigerians. Sadly amongst many  nigerians that have got dealings with the Polish embassy abuja,it is largely rated as the worse embassy in  nigeria.Nigerians have a right to demand to be treated with dignty and respect  by foreign embassies moreso in our own country.Every allegation made in this report is easily verifable and widely known. My name is Dixon Amangi-Peters and phone number; 08036582429. 
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 21, 2009
@ mr official i feel your pain. believe me this kinda stuffs happen in other embassies! cry
i always ask my self this question if ou educational system was sound, would there be any need to travel abroad? definately not. angry This is the kind of sitution we find ourselves in. Our image is getting bad day by day and there is nothin our government and citizens are doing about it. Its just to Bad. Very soon i believe things will change and nigerians will be respected all over the world.
peace!!!! grin
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by buffnaija: 1:30pm On Nov 22, 2009
you guys get what you deserve.

what is in poland that you dey go there?? do you even speak the language.
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by phuckNL: 1:51pm On Nov 22, 2009
buffnaija:

I trip for the poster oo.
UK people dey complain say polish citizens don take all EU jobs finish, Nigerians still dey troop go Poland.
If polish citizens are running away from their country to seek employment in the UK, y is it dat nigerians think that is the best place to go.
Poland is an impoverished country trying to become better. They are looking for tourists and foreign investments.
They don't want Nigerians that will add to their burden. What genuine reason do you have to go to Poland to school?
You have none. They are right in denying 90% of you. You don't even speak the language.
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by mikkyangel(m): 8:36pm On Nov 22, 2009
Phuck NL, Buffnaija,

"WHO NEVER GO NOR NO HOW FAR", u just sit down at home not knowing whts happening outside ur land,yet u conderm person wen won try enter Poland and the country itself, i study in warsaw Poland(2 yr MBA,which is the cheapest you can get anywhere),am currently in my final semester, and if given a second chance to choose btw Poland and Uk visa which would i choose?, i"ll stick to Poland visa yet again, i did post a blog last may about "AMERICAN VISA ATLAST'!, (pls go thr/google nairaland search engine and read through)Yeah, it was thru dis Poland i got that US J1 visa(work visa) plus social security card cum number and work experince certificate, For Life!, about 8 nigerians in my school now have 2 yrs invitation visa to Usa and Funke just won American lottery thru this Poland( Polish citizens are not allowed to apply so your chances of getting it from here is quite hihg) , The funny thing is,my interview didnot last more than 5minutes ,

My friends Akp, Afolabi, Dare, Samali et atall are all married(within just 8months of coming to dis country), Poland is one of very few countries in Europe were you can easily get your documents(Permanent stay), the Population here is about 4 to 1(for every one man,u have four single ladies), Somany women looking for husbands, I still have some Nigerians coming from Italy,Austra and German to look for ladies here, Just last month,i met a nigerian from Kaduna with his girlfriend(whity) from Check republic, coming to Poland to look for solution,

Well wht am trying to say is that yes they dont speak english here but i dey survive, the country maybe poor but if u get a job here,its ok to cover ur expenses,they the Polish pple are eager to learn english,and are willing to pay u good money to teach them besides Poland has very good relationship with Usa, Canada(visa free) and Australia, which means if you live in Poland as a student,u can easily gain access to these countries.I plan to work in Canada nxt summer, (and also to go for a second masters degree in Clark university,an american university where by u get to finish ur studies in America for just 3500 dollars), and one or two semesters in Poland,depending on you

In addition, polish visa(shengen visa) allows me access to 22 countries in Europe which means i can even work in Norway,Denmark or Luxemburg( nations with extremly high percapital income), i hv seen Spain( fuen labrda madrid), and Germany with my temporary resident card,and i wish to start shipping goods from Germany to n9ja once am done with my programme whilst doing my second masters on a light scale,

Well as at last year April 2008,when we(8 or us), went to apply for visa in Abuja,7 of us got it,i must say we were lucky,i wonder why its getting so dificult, moreso,of all the international students in my school,its mailny nigerians that dont run away,most of the guys from Nepal,bangladish, india have all stopped school and gone to Norway to hussle( but dem dey mk serious money sha untop d menial jobs dey do), why the Tunisian contingent hv all dissapeared to France,

So fellas, information is Power,

1 Like

Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by igbogolo: 10:27pm On Nov 22, 2009
@ poster

why poland of all places
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by mevisbleek: 3:27am On Nov 24, 2009
@mr official, na una dey even fall naija hand, wetin u dey go find for poland wey unilag or lagos business school no fit offer you, why?
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by blackspade(m): 5:53am On Nov 24, 2009
mikkyangel:

Phuck NL, Buffnaija,

"WHO NEVER GO NOR NO HOW FAR", u just sit down at home not knowing whts happening outside your land,yet u conderm person wen won try enter Poland and the country itself, i study in warsaw Poland(2 yr MBA,which is the cheapest you can get anywhere),am currently in my final semester, and if given a second chance to choose btw Poland and Uk visa which would i choose?, i"ll stick to Poland visa yet again, i did post a blog last may about "AMERICAN VISA ATLAST'!, (pls go thr/google nairaland search engine and read through)Yeah, it was thru dis Poland i got that US J1 visa(work visa) plus social security card cum number and work experince certificate, For Life!, about 8 nigerians in my school now have 2 yrs invitation visa to Usa and Funke just won American lottery thru this Poland( Polish citizens are not allowed to apply so your chances of getting it from here is quite hihg) , The funny thing is,my interview didnot last more than 5minutes ,

My friends Akp, Afolabi, Dare, Samali et atall are all married(within just 8months of coming to dis country), Poland is one of very few countries in Europe were you can easily get your documents(Permanent stay), the Population here is about 4 to 1(for every one man,u have four single ladies), Somany women looking for husbands, I still have some Nigerians coming from Italy,Austra and German to look for ladies here, Just last month,i met a nigerian from Kaduna with his girlfriend(whity) from Check republic, coming to Poland to look for solution,

Well wht am trying to say is that yes they dont speak english here but i dey survive, the country maybe poor but if u get a job here,its ok to cover your expenses,they the Polish pple are eager to learn english,and are willing to pay u good money to teach them besides Poland has very good relationship with Usa, Canada(visa free) and Australia, which means if you live in Poland as a student,u can easily gain access to these countries.I plan to work in Canada nxt summer, (and also to go for a second masters degree in Clark university,an american university where by u get to finish your studies in America for just 3500 dollars), and one or two semesters in Poland,depending on you

In addition, polish visa(shengen visa) allows me access to 22 countries in Europe which means i can even work in Norway,Denmark or Luxemburg( nations with extremly high percapital income), i hv seen Spain( fuen labrda madrid), and Germany with my temporary resident card,and i wish to start shipping goods from Germany to n9ja once am done with my programme whilst doing my second masters on a light scale,

Well as at last year April 2008,when we(8 or us), went to apply for visa in Abuja,7 of us got it,i must say we were lucky,i wonder why its getting so dificult, moreso,of all the international students in my school,its mailny nigerians that dont run away,most of the guys from Nepal,bangladish, india have all stopped school and gone to Norway to hussle( but dem dey mk serious money sha untop d menial jobs dey do), why the Tunisian contingent hv all dissapeared to France,

So fellas, information is Power,

Wow! Congratulations for accomplishing so much in so little time, and thanks for leaving this piece of information.
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by mevisbleek: 7:12am On Nov 24, 2009
@blackspade, u are making it seem very easy, for country wey dem no dey speak english, i doubt. The only good part is the easy visa availabilty to the US and shenghen stuff asides that nothing dey that end. and cheap fees that all. When u start shipping cars from Germany pls involve me. I am not shitting you, i am serious here.
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by mikkyangel(m): 5:49pm On Nov 24, 2009
meevleekb,

when i say say cheap school fees, i dont mean so so less expensive as you imagined, i paid 3500euros( abt 791,000k) for my first 1yr and 2600 euros(587,600k) just last month for my 2nd yr, So my brother e nor cheap as you immagined, Besides,my second school fees was all posible via my 4months huzzling for yanky,

Weda u like it or not, getting a qualification from EU nations carry's weight,weda Poland or UK(do you know how many nigerians school in Ukraine alone?) i have had more than 6 of them cross into Poland to start afresh, Need i remind you,UK IS CONGESTED!, There is the new green card scheme in 2 countries in Europe and one in the continent of north america, (not USA),and more than 50% of the points you gather are on educational qualification while 1)ADAPTABILITY 2)LANGUAGE 3)WORK EXPERIENCE et atall shares the rest, So if i hard spent last year waiting for Uk visa,maybe i would still be in n9ja by now, Besides i did 4 kidney operations here in Poland for free,

Blackspade
thanks alot, with the way things are now,i am more rugged/turffer than , infact my blood they hot now,
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by tunnytox(m): 7:49pm On Nov 24, 2009
buffnaija:

Na wa for una o,  there is nothing wrong in applying for a Polish visa if it is meant for a reasonable and legitimate purpose like study, open your mind mate, there are opportunities in some imaginable places moreso Poland is an EU country their visa is now a Shengen visa.
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by mrsay1: 12:58am On Dec 23, 2009
Discrimination and Exploitation of Nigerians at the Polish Embassy, Abuja By Dixon Peters

advertisement

I recall vividly a couple of weeks ago reading on a daily newspaper about a young man who complained bitterly about the shabby treatment meted to him at the Polish embassy ,ona crescent,maitama, Abuja.Just weeks later i find the allegations of that report to be true,i personally had my own taste of the bitter experience.I therefore decided to do something about it.I believe the easiest way to improve our dear country Nigeria is to 'be the change' you desire.I like thousands of other nigerians got an admission to study at a university in Poland. As its required for student visa applications,i paid my full tuition fees to the university and thoroughly studied all other requirements to be met as clearly stated on the website of the embassy( http://www.abuja.polemb.net/)and and on the notice board placed at the gate of the embassy .I felt confident about getting the visa after painstakingly fulfilling all the rigorous processes and documentation to be met.I applied for the visa as at when due ,paid the visa fees and was told to call back after a few weeks to know the result of the application for the visa.I called a few weeks later and got a cold shock,i was told on the phone that my visa was refused.My first response to the person i spoke to on the phone was;please may i kindly understand why my visa was refused because i am very sure that i had met and surpassed every criteria set for the granting of a study visa.Even more shocking i was told by the same staff that the embassy does not have a reason for denying me and that the decision was final.After making that call my next response was to begin to call every other person i had met that applied for a study visa on the same day as i did,interestingly over ninety percent of the other applicants were refused too.I wanted to assume that it was just those who applied at the same time as i did that were refused visas but i was wrong. By the time i physically got to the embassy at maitama,abuja to find out what was really going on,i discovered that out of the hundreds of other nigerians who i met there day in and day out ,a large majority of them were refused visas,the statistics was clear; that the refusal rate was well over ninety percent.It meant that only one out of every ten nigerians that applied and paid visa application fee was actually given the polish visa.While still trying to comprehend this discriminatory high visa refusal rates of nigerians,more disturbing was the fact that we were clearly stopped from attempting to appeal the irrational visa decisions because a lot of us were very sure that there were errors in those decisions made.They sarcastically told us that they do not give anyone grounds for appeal on irrational visa decisions that they make.At first we wondered if may be on an individual basis there were some things that we did not do right in our applications but by consulting with each other, especially those that applied for study visas,collectively it then dawned on us that the administration of the polish embassy abuja is clearly a discriminatory and exploitative one.They are simply and only interested in collecting the visa fees and nothing else.Our observation is that the embassy is very inefficient in its administration as it is incapable of even carrying out the least investigation to determine the evidence that is given to them .An example of this is a case of a student that was refused visa also and yet his Parents who were his sponsors,had an account funded with well over ten million naira,meaning that he had sufficient funds for his education.In the same vein many of us nigerians that were applying for study visas had fat account statements with sufficient funds for our education in whatever capacity, economy or currency you may want to judge it or compare it with.We were not only dealing with a lousy and inefficient embassy we were also dealing with an embassy that was discriminatory,inhumane and exploitative to nigerians.An embassy were so many nigerian applicants are made to stand outside the gate for lengthy hours without a shelter under extreme weather conditions in heavy rains and hot sun,only to refuse their visa applications without a reason.They do not think the nigerian applicant deserves the dignity of an official letter to explain the reason for a visa refusal.We now wonder why they collect the visa fees if they cannot even dignify a nigerian visa applicant by typing an official letter explaining a visa refusal.Its equally frustrating to be told that they do not have a justice system in place ,where visa applicants that feel aggrieved can appeal a decision.Even worse is a known fact that corruption does exist in the embassy.Many applicants for study visa narrate how they were approached for bribe to facilitate the visa process by embassy staff only to still be disappointed after desperately doling out funds.Conclusively this report is made to alert nigerians to beware of exploitative and discriminatory embassies that are clearly after your visa fees.Nigerians are adviced not to waste precious time and monies trying to apply for visa at the Polish embassy Abuja.Its not worth the humilation and stress.If we must travel,there are so many other embassies that have learnt to treat nigerians with the dignity and respect that we deserve in our own country.We cannot force the Polish embassy to give nigerians the polish visa but we can protect the interest of nigerians from being exploited if we suceed in drastically reducing the visa fees which they get from nigerians.Its a fact that if nigerians stop paying those fees in droves,the income of the embassy would be greatly affected and then they would be compelled to change their discriminatory attitude towards nigerians. Sadly amongst many nigerians that have got dealings with the Polish embassy abuja,it is largely rated as the worse embassy in nigeria.Nigerians have a right to demand to be treated with dignty and respect by foreign embassies moreso in our own country.Every allegation made in this report is easily verifable and widely known. My name is Dixon Amangi-Peters and phone number; 08036582429.
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by johnkent(m): 7:33am On Dec 23, 2009
I couldn't read everything u wrote but having read a few paragraphs, i got the gist.
The polish embassy has the right just like any other embassy in Nigeria to deny YOU or Any other Nigerian a student or visit visa. A visa is not a right but a privileged. We all know why Nigeria has a high refusal rate when it comes to visa issuance by embassies in Nigeria. We say we'll come back after our visit or school and a high proportion of us never do.
To be honest, most of these embassies don't even look at applications because of the high volume of applications that they receive and with the high rate of fraudulent documents that they receive at their embassies, innocent folks like you call victim.
All u can do is apply again and be persistent. Never stop sir. keep trying and one day, they'll give it to ya.
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by jub009: 12:24pm On Dec 24, 2009
Mikkyangel, we need 2 talk,kindly send me ur email, jubril_odus@yahoo.com
Re: Discrimination And Exploitation Of Nigerians At The Polish Embassy, Abuja by Nobody: 1:58pm On Dec 24, 2009
@ phuck_NL
could not agree more

(1) (Reply)

Heavy Rain, Traffic Responsible For Delay In Completion Of Lagos-ibadan Express / THE Akanu Ibiam "International Airport" ENUGU Today, After The Rain / Jamaica.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.