Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,545 members, 7,823,392 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:39 AM

How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) (43725 Views)

Should Kitchen And Bathroom Waste Go To The Septic Tank Or To The Soak Away / Anybody Ever Used Plastic Sepitc Tank(soakaway) Here? / Whose Responsibility Is It To Empty The Septic Tank? Landlord Or Tenant? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Nobody: 7:20am On Jan 07, 2017
You don't need a septic tank...you need a skeptic tank
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Numberz(m): 7:24am On Jan 07, 2017
Have your builder come online and get the solution, the message might loose some detail (because of technicalities) when passed through a third party. I encountered a similar issue near the National stadium in Abuja some years back.
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by skimanski(m): 7:26am On Jan 07, 2017
oP I don't understand what you mean by low water bed. But going by the pictures, you case is not different from everyone's case in lekki Lagos. Why not follow same route. Except I'm missing something in the pics.

Also which area is this?
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by steams: 7:52am On Jan 07, 2017
you are very funny. Am a civil engineer.
who started the building in the first place? so u need a professional advice for free? have you heard of engineering consultants services they give advice at a fee. Go and look for one.
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by ultimate73(m): 8:02am On Jan 07, 2017
consult experts
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 07, 2017
...Don't bother trying to precast, you can't afford the outrageous costs..... Dig deeper than you already have, Hire a machine to pump out the excess water, Then sandfill the unneeded depth, (yes you heard right, SANDFILL THE UNNEEDED DEPTH, not with laterite, use very fine grained sand, this is the only way to stop that tank from failing in a year or two, because coupled with reinforcement load, waterlogged soil, settlement and design incompetence, that tank will surely fail)....do your blinding using dry mixing to a depth of 75mm-100mm... Making sure to allow for blinding weakness in the septic area and the soakaway area, put in minimal columns, so as not to aid collapse and you know the rest.........

1 Like

Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Nobody: 8:04am On Jan 07, 2017
...Dont bother trying to precast, you can't afford the outrageous costs..... Dig deeper than you already have, Hire a machine to pump out the excess water, Then sandfill the unneeded depth, (yes you heard right, SANDFILL THE UNNEEDED DEPTH, not with laterite, use very fine grained sand, this is the only way to stop that tank from failing in a year or two, because coupled with reinforcement load, waterlogged soil, settlement and design incompetence, that tank will surely fail)....do your blinding using dry mixing to a depth of 75mm-100mm... Making sure to allow for blinding weakness in the septic area and the soakaway area, put in minimal columns, so as not to aid collapse and you know the rest.........

1 Like

Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 07, 2017
are u concerned about the invert level of the outlet pipe,or the high water table of the ground?Because they are actually two different things with different solutions.Expecting a reply
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by dedarkman(m): 8:19am On Jan 07, 2017
Sorry to quote you papa I can bet with you that if you use that ur method you will still get water flowing I to the septic tank. Expirence is the best teacher.
PaPPi1:
my brother it's a simple login, get a dewatering, that small pump so as to remove water and dry the surface of the excavated pit, as you drain, you dig to your required dept, it's idea you do a dry casting with water cement or I prefer the wet casting with your normal cement, with thickness of about 2inches from the ground, don't worry about the water coming in from the ground it won't do any damage but would even help in solidifying your mortal. As for the piping system once you have been able to achieve your septic tank theres no fear, you can't raise pipe more than that cause it won't flow. my brother it's a simple login, get a dewatering, that small pump so as to remove water and dry the surface of the excavated pit, as you drain, you dig to your required dept, it's idea you do a dry casting with water cement or I prefer the wet casting with your normal cement, with thickness of about 2inches from the ground, don't worry about the water coming in from the ground it won't do any damage but would even help in solidifying your mortal. As for the piping system once you have been able to achieve your septic tank theres no fear, you can't raise pipe more than that cause it won't flow. there should be proper Reinforce at the four edges of the tank.
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by chuksdewigs(m): 8:20am On Jan 07, 2017
You can build a precast soak away and septic tank and then use a crane to install it..It's done in places like this...then back fill later..Thank me later.
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by dedarkman(m): 8:29am On Jan 07, 2017
Pesuzok:
I want to build my septic and soakaway, but noticed that it has a low water bed. The plumber has just taken the best slope for the chambers by raising the pipes above the ground and the point of entry into the septic is quite low. Please I need suggestions.

I would have asked you to get professional hand which was what you needed from the onset,But let me be of help.
First of all u made a mistake my first digging the soil.
Below are methods of casting a concrete septic tank in high water table environment.

Call ur carpenter and ask him to build the form work of the septic tank at the location you want to have it, make sure he does not make formwork for the base.
Then put in ur reinforcement and then cast that on top of the soil the way it is.
When it solidifies, let's say give it 18days then ask diggers to start digging from inside and then dig the sides little by little by so doing the septic tank will gradually sink inside.
Once it sinks to the level u actually wang it, get a water pump and start sucking out the water inside the septic tank.
Then dig also a little potion outside the septic tank to get lower level than ur septic tank level and the level of ur base, then insert ur pumping machine at this location and start sucking it. You will discover that the water level does not come up again to the level u want the base to the septic tank.
Warning!! Make sure you have enough fuel that can run for the whole day and night to prevent failure.
Once u start pumping get the carpenter to make a formwork for the base and put in ur reinforcement and cast with water cement( that will aid the mix to dry rapidly)and then keep pumping till it solidifies that water can't get into the septic tank again.

Now you have a water tight septic tank. I use this in worse water table level.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Barselonia(m): 8:45am On Jan 07, 2017
Pesuzok:
I want to build my septic and soakaway, but noticed that it has a low water bed. The plumber has just taken the best slope for the chambers by raising the pipes above the ground and the point of entry into the septic is quite low. Please I need suggestions.
Bro.. No cause for alarm, u don't need to worry..
All u need is pumping machine, a good Carpenter that can board in swampy area ,iron bender and u are good to go.. .
Make sure u use a marine board for easy work and 90% straightness
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by freeman67: 8:55am On Jan 07, 2017
steams:
who started the building in the first place? so u need a professional advice for free? have you heard of engineering consultants services they give advice at a fee. Go and look for one.

I wonder how some of you think... Someone is in a mess and he is looking for remedy the least you can do is to shut up and pass the thread after reading if you cannot provide solution without a fee.. And who even told you that it is not your likes that caused this mess in the first place...

All you guys know in Abuja is money money money... I believe you do not have a solution to his problems because I see those that have something upstairs already discussing the way forward here not thinking of how to swindle the guy when he is not even sure you are what you call yourself.

Some of you will come here to seek advice when you want to buy car, seek advice on your relationships and marriages, seek advice on buying land, building houses and even do other human activities that I can't remember to add here. You will visit Nairaland to seek free and advice but once it get close to your profession you will start thinking the man looking for advice doesn't want to pay. You think there are not professionals in other fields you seek free advice or you think those professionals offering you free advice went to school for free?

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Okeyson4wisdom(m): 9:21am On Jan 07, 2017
Pesuzok:
I suggest u do precast then sink it since the soil is soft, then you use the level gotten after sinking for the landscaping.
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by metallisc(m): 9:24am On Jan 07, 2017
PaPPi1:
my brother it's a simple login, get a dewatering, that small pump so as to remove water and dry the surface of the excavated pit, as you drain, you dig to your required dept, it's idea you do a dry casting with water cement or I prefer the wet casting with your normal cement, with thickness of about 2inches from the ground, don't worry about the water coming in from the ground it won't do any damage but would even help in solidifying your mortal. As for the piping system once you have been able to achieve your septic tank theres no fear, you can't raise pipe more than that cause it won't flow. my brother it's a simple login, get a dewatering, that small pump so as to remove water and dry the surface of the excavated pit, as you drain, you dig to your required dept, it's idea you do a dry casting with water cement or I prefer the wet casting with your normal cement, with thickness of about 2inches from the ground, don't worry about the water coming in from the ground it won't do any damage but would even help in solidifying your mortal. As for the piping system once you have been able to achieve your septic tank theres no fear, you can't raise pipe more than that cause it won't flow. there should be proper Reinforce at the four edges of the tank.

Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Nobody: 9:24am On Jan 07, 2017
Oh goody, the thread made frontpage.

Now we'll get all the loonies and quacks with their call me syndrome.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Shafiiimran99: 9:40am On Jan 07, 2017
Just look for an engineer
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Flaghouse1: 10:10am On Jan 07, 2017
EgunMogaji:
Oh goody, the thread made frontpage.

Now we'll get all the loonies and quacks with their call me syndrome.

I laugh for this your statement, really this is where you separate the boys from the men and to think of it why would somebody say you should call him if he is really interested and have the capacities and capabilities to execute the task all he needs to do to convince the prospect is just to give him a brief of how to he would achieve the task in the forum and the next thing put his number and politely ask if the potential client may be dispose to use his services
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by tijjanioyan: 10:14am On Jan 07, 2017
we also have a low water table here in my place, this is what we do, wait till dry season, dig your septic tank in a ring shape/in form of a well, arrange your ring and cast the bottom with concrete, plaster the ring joint and you are good.
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by obitryce(m): 10:39am On Jan 07, 2017
Another method i think could work with the already dug hole is to get a good carpenter & iron bender to construct the form work of the septic tank for casting and you get a pumping machine to pump out the water from the the already dug hole while the constructed form work of the septic tank is placed in the hole and all sides casted immediately while still maintaining steady pumping out of water from the hole at least for almost the whole day to enable the cast solidify. Just a tot that crossed my mind sha..

1 Like

Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by emma2002(m): 10:51am On Jan 07, 2017
@pesuzok

I believe these method would be a cost effective one. However, you need a shipload of courage to do it as i it may not be too common.

Alternatively, look around your environment/neighbors and see how they went about doing thiers.

Cheers.

http://www.geepeeindustries.com/environmental_products2.htm

1 Like

Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by BRAINCRASH(m): 10:54am On Jan 07, 2017
Good morning OP ...Emeka is my name...Architect y profession...I stay in Abuja....and work in Area 3....we can meet if you want....
........the conventional method of handling that soak away here in Abuja is by dewatering,....then place columns inside with beams at intervals depending on the depth...build to normal height....and then place an exit pipe opposite where the sewage comes from....let me assure you that no mater how you de-water your pit it will always be filled with water all year round....don't forget to use water seal in your concrete work

the logic is this....when the sewage comes in from one side...the solid component settles at the base...meanwhile the tank will remain full with foul water which overflows into an open drain from the opposite side......the overflow pipe helps to see that the pit does not overfill the given level...more so the water coming out from th eother side mus have undergone decomposition and will not be harmful to the environment....

for further Enquiry call me.....
Emeka .Arc.
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Pesuzok(m): 11:34am On Jan 07, 2017
mufutau55:
Concrete Precast sunk Soakaway/Septic tanks is your best bet... No need running any pipes above surface...

Read from this page link and few more pages forward:
https://www.nairaland.com/2004074/reconstruction-diary-5-bedroom-bungalow/1

Hajji M.

Thank you Hajji for your input. I have been told that the casting can still be done, but my concern now is that the point of pipe entry into the septic is quite low which will make me utilize just half of the septic.

2 Likes

Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Pesuzok(m): 11:36am On Jan 07, 2017
rotecch77:
Yes hajj Same method here, when choosed Pre cast method
@egun to switch bqck to Pre cast method here again means he will spend to fill the excavated are back and re dig it again when sinking the concrete, that will be double spending oo .that is why I suggested cast in-Situ

Thank you bro, I am guessing the process of the cast in-situ is similar to the precast method. How can I get the pipe entry into the septic to be a bit higher?
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Pesuzok(m): 11:39am On Jan 07, 2017
Adegbulugbe:
You can still cast in-situ but only a professional can do that for you and if that can be properly done, it is very better than precast.

Thank you for your contribution, but my other concern is how to effectively utilize the size of the septic that would be done. The piping is already indicating that I cannot use more that half of the septic volume when done
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Pesuzok(m): 11:40am On Jan 07, 2017
tahoe:
consult experts so that you won't spend double

can you recommend one? The site is in abuja
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Pesuzok(m): 11:51am On Jan 07, 2017
PaPPi1:

So it means I have to dig deeper
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Pesuzok(m): 11:55am On Jan 07, 2017
Numberz:
Have your builder come online and get the solution, the message might loose some detail (because of technicalities) when passed through a third party. I encountered a similar issue near the National stadium in Abuja some years back.

Honestly, my builder suggested excavating. The one he built for my neighbour is with block filled up with concrete and pillars, he suggested same to me but I want to do total casting.
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Pesuzok(m): 11:58am On Jan 07, 2017
skimanski:
oP I don't understand what you mean by low water bed. But going by the pictures, you case is not different from everyone's case in lekki Lagos. Why not follow same route. Except I'm missing something in the pics.

Also which area is this?

Thank you bro, my other concern is the piping, the entry point into the proposed septic tank is already too low. I was the one that even told the plumber to lay the pipes on the surface to see if I can gain some height into the septic
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Pesuzok(m): 12:00pm On Jan 07, 2017
steams:

If you can come to Abuja and solve it, no problem I will pay you. I want my pipe to enter the septic from the topmost part. Provide the solution and I would pay you.
Re: How Do I Build A Septic Tank / Soakaway In This Situation? (pic Attached) by Pesuzok(m): 12:02pm On Jan 07, 2017
stinflame:
are u concerned about the invert level of the outlet pipe,or the high water table of the ground?Because they are actually two different things with different solutions.Expecting a reply

Thank you for understanding, my major concern is entry level of the outlet pipe. I am expecting a reply

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Property FOR SALE and Apartment FOR RENT in Lagos, Nigeria (THIS WEEK'S UPDATES) / 5 Nigerian Cities With The Most Expensive Apartment Rentage / Eko Atlantic City Showcases First Street Light

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.