Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,701 members, 7,820,448 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! (1666 Views)

How Can I Get A Birth Certificate Please / USCIS Tightens Unlawful Presence Rules For Non-immigrant Students(f1,m1&j1) / Do I Need The WAEC Certificate? Please Help! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! by nicolasbood: 12:25am On Jan 09, 2017
Experienced people on nairaland and moderators. PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS, I HAVE NOT SLEPT WELL IN THE PAST THREE DAYS.

I will be filling I-485 (adjustment of status) in the US soon. However on my birth certificate, my middle and last name is there but my first name is missing. My parents were undecided about a first name at the time of registration of my birth. From childhood, I have been accustomed to being called my first name and I have used it in many of my documents.

I don't think the local government area that issued it can correct this (Since it was done in 1982, in my country). Will an affidavit of "same person" from parents solve this? Anyone with similar experience?

Please help
Re: USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! by cozybunch: 6:17am On Jan 09, 2017
I don't see any problem here hence every information in the document are correct. If asked you explain what you just said. This people are intelligent and human as every one. No need to bring additional document

Good Luck
Re: USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! by bimbola85(m): 6:44am On Jan 10, 2017
nicolasbood:
Experienced people on nairaland and moderators. PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP ON THIS, I HAVE NOT SLEPT WELL IN THE PAST THREE DAYS.

I will be filling I-485 (adjustment of status) in the US soon. However on my birth certificate, my middle and last name is there but my first name is missing. My parents were undecided about a first name at the time of registration of my birth. From childhood, I have been accustomed to being called my first name and I have used it in many of my documents.

I don't think the local government area that issued it can correct this (Since it was done in 1982, in my country). Will an affidavit of "same person" from parents solve this? Anyone with similar experience?

Please help

Just write a letter to explain this and have the letter notarized. United States ain't Nigeria that always try to give people unnecessary headache.
Re: USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! by nicolasbood: 12:37am On Jan 11, 2017
bimbola85:

Just write a letter to explain this and have the letter notarized. United States ain't Nigeria that always try to give people unnecessary headache.

Thank you.
Re: USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! by TWoods(m): 4:21am On Jan 11, 2017
nicolasbood:

Please help

Talk to an immigration lawyer, this can seriously delay your I-485... they take birth certificates very seriously and they may require you to provide more proof than a mere letter. Save yourself the unecessary RFEs.
Re: USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! by nicolasbood: 9:49pm On Jan 11, 2017
TWoods:

Talk to an immigration lawyer, this can seriously delay your I-485... they take birth certificates very seriously and they may require you to provide more proof than a mere letter. Save yourself the unecessary RFEs.

Thanks a lot for your response. I also plan to include secondary documents that show earlier use of the name. So far I have found my WAEC result, first school leaving certificate and temporary voters card.
Re: USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! by nicolasbood: 9:51pm On Jan 11, 2017
cozybunch:
I don't see any problem here hence every information in the document are correct. If asked you explain what you just said. This people are intelligent and human as every one. No need to bring additional document

Good Luck

Thank you
Re: USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! by TWoods(m): 1:19am On Jan 12, 2017
nicolasbood:

Thanks a lot for your response. I also plan to include secondary documents that show earlier use of the name. So far I have found my WAEC result, first school leaving certificate and temporary voters card.

You're on the right track. They won't likely deny your application but you want to avoid lengthy background checks.

1 Like

Re: USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! by cozybunch: 1:37pm On Jan 14, 2017
All this advise are unnecessary. Hence the copy they have is same with the original you have it remains admissible. Name match weather first name, middle last name date of birth, all needs to be same as it is in your original copy.

If you have additional documents that has your first name is ok. People just give unnecessary fear and advise

Good Luck
Re: USCIS: First Name Not On Birth Certificate. Please Help! by nicolasbood: 5:45am On Jan 23, 2017
cozybunch:
All this advise are unnecessary. Hence the copy they have is same with the original you have it remains admissible. Name match weather first name, middle last name date of birth, all needs to be same as it is in your original copy.

If you have additional documents that has your first name is ok. People just give unnecessary fear and advise

Good Luck

Thank you, I just hope they don't ask for legal name change documentation, e.g deed poll.

(1) (Reply)

My Dream Country / Nightlife In Nigeria / Any Information About "note Verbale", And How Does It Work?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.