Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,896 members, 7,828,158 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child (1645 Views)

Path To US Citizenship For F1 Students Through The Military / German Citizenship For Nigerians Wey Don Japa / These Ten Countries Can Sell Citizenship To You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 9:58am On Jun 06, 2019
Hello nairalanders! So I'm new on here, and I decided to create this thread for anyone who might have a similar issue or also has questions regarding this topic. Although my case is kinda complex I'd try to be as brief as possible. My (illegitimate) dad about 20 years ago travelled to the US via a refugee program. He has lived and worked there ever since up until now, and has aquired citizenship and Pemanent residence too (Infact he is now a US citizen). How possible would it be for me to join my Dad in the US. Can he file for me to come to the US as his illegitimate son (out of wedlock)? I'm about 25 years now.
Professional advice from any US imigration officer would also be highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your responses
PS: He wasn't a citizen prior to my birth. He acquired US citizenship after he travelled there and spent some years
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by ahiboilandgas: 10:12am On Jun 06, 2019
Angulare:
Hello nairalanders! So I'm new on here, and I decided to create this thread for anyone who might have a similar issue or also has questions regarding this topic. Although my case is kinda complex I'd try to be as brief as possible. My (illegitimate) dad about 20 years ago travelled to the US via a refugee program. He has lived and worked there ever since up until now, and has aquired citizenship and Pemanent residence too (Infact he is now a US citizen). How possible would it be for me to join my Dad in the US. Can he file for me to come to the US as his illegitimate son (out of wedlock)? I'm about 25 years now.
Professional advice from any US imigration officer would also be highly appreciated.
PS: He wasn't a citizen prior to my birth. He acquired US citizenship after he travelled there and spent some years
there notting like illegitimate child it just a human created word a child is a child no child is above any other ....if God so will he will not allow fertilization take place ....u are a human being

8 Likes

Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 10:17am On Jun 06, 2019
ahiboilandgas:
there notting like illegitimate child it just a human created word a child is a child no child is above any other ....if God so will he will not allow fertilization take place ....u are a human being

I know about this. I just used the word "illegitimate" for factual purposes and also for legal purposes. These things need to be put into consideration when applying for citizenship.
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Spanishmilf(m): 10:27am On Jun 06, 2019
Angulare:
if he file for you don't hope soon for approval ilit not a matter of 3years it takes 10years for uscis to approve such petitions...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 06, 2019
As at the time He applied as a refugee did He fill any details about having a son.

Did he apply as a Nigerian refugee or he claimed something else

Did he change his name when He entered the US?

Is his name on your birth certificate?

Even with all these above being 'clean' it would still take about 6-7yrs for you to join him. That's the current processing time for single adult sons or daughters

2 Likes

Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by ahiboilandgas: 10:37am On Jun 06, 2019
Angulare:

I know about this. I just used the word "illegitimate" for factual purposes and also for legal purposes. These things need to be put into consideration when applying for citizenship.
check the us defination of parent and father,sure he can file you u

1 Like

Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 10:53am On Jun 06, 2019
salsera:

As at the time He applied as a refugee did He fill any details about having a son.

Did he apply as a Nigerian refugee or he claimed something else

Did he change his name when He entered the US?

Is his name on your birth certificate?

Even with all these above being 'clean' it would still take about 6-7yrs for you to join him. That's the current processing time for single adult sons or daughters
He claims he included my name as his son when he applied as a refugee.
Yes he applied as a refugee.
He maintains the same name.
His name is on my birth certificate but I am not in possession of it. He travelled with it (I will get in touch with him to confirm).
6-7years? woooooah. isn't there any other method i could work with?
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 11:15am On Jun 06, 2019
Angulare:

He claims he included my name as his son when he applied as a refugee.
Yes he applied as a refugee.
He maintains the same name.
His name is on my birth certificate but I am not in possession of it. He travelled with it (I will get in touch with him to confirm).
6-7years? woooooah. isn't there any other method i could work with?

He should've filed for you as soon as he was given permanent residency...by now the years would've counted up to 6.

Nope...no other way. The processing times are long due to you being an adult and the fact that more ppl join the queue to migrate.

He can still go ahead but id say you should get on with your life elsewhere during the wait.

Because you have immigrant intent since your dad is there...getting to the U.S. as a visitor or even a student would need you to prove you would return and they know you wont.

Unless you have a us based girlfriend who you decide to marry...nothing else is shorter via your dad
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 11:19am On Jun 06, 2019
salsera:

He should've filed for you as soon as he was given permanent residency...by now the years would've counted up to 6.

Nope...no other way. The processing times are long due to you being an adult and the fact that more ppl join the queue to migrate.

He can still go ahead but id say you should get on with your life elsewhere during the wait.

Because you have immigrant intent since your dad is there...getting to the U.S. as a visitor or even a student would need you to prove you would return and they know you wont.

Unless you have a us based girlfriend who you decide to marry...nothing else is shorter via your dad
Thanks very much for the info on this. I really do appreciate.
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Spanishmilf(m): 12:31pm On Jun 06, 2019
salsera:

B.cause you have immigrant intent since your dad is there...getting to the U.S. as a visitor or even a student ould need you to prove you would return and they know you wont.

some takes roughly 8-10 years sweetie, I will advise him to look for an Oyinbo girl to marry or his dad should help him find an akata
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Spanishmilf(m): 12:33pm On Jun 06, 2019
Angulare:

Thanks very much for the info on this. I really do appreciate.
I have two idea you can get to USA, through student visa.......... Or your dad can help you find a Girl if u can wait for 8years, that 2 worldcup to come he should petition for u.
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 06, 2019
Spanishmilf:
some takes roughly 8-10 years sweetie, I will advise him to look for an Oyinbo girl to marry or his dad should help him find an akata

I'm not your 'sweetie'
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Spanishmilf(m): 1:30pm On Jun 06, 2019
salsera:

I'm not your 'sweetie'
grin grin grin
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by otipoju(m): 2:43am On Jun 07, 2019
First of you are not an illegetimate child.
You are the son of your father and that is all that matters. As long as he declared you as his son when he first entered as a refugee and the names are the same.

1. In the USA, it is normal to have children out of wedlock and so in your case, you have 100% entitlement to a US green card as long as you are not married.

2. I dont know what the current waiting time is but the easist way around this is for your Father to invite you on a visit visa or do admission into a community college for you for an Associate degree with him as your sponsor.

3. Once you get in and start attending the school, he can then file for an Adjustment of Status for you. When he files there is also an application for a document that allows you to enter and leave the US while your case is ongoing.

4. Also you will be given a work permit that you will be renewing every year until your green card is approved even if it takes 5 years.

This is the best and perhaps only way forward.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 6:18am On Jun 07, 2019
otipoju:
First of you are not an illegetimate child.
You are the son of your father and that is all that matters. As long as he declared you as his son when he first entered as a refugee and the names are the same.

1. In the USA, it is normal to have children out of wedlock and so in your case, you have 100% entitlement to a US green card as long as you are not married.

2. I dont know what the current waiting time is but the easist way around this is for your Father to invite you on a visit visa or do admission into a community college for you for an Associate degree with him as your sponsor.

3. Once you get in and start attending the school, he can then file for an Adjustment of Status for you. When he files there is also an application for a document that allows you to enter and leave the US while your case is ongoing.

4. Also you will be given a work permit that you will be renewing every year until your green card is approved even if it takes 5 years.

This is the best and perhaps only way forward.

Thank you very much for your assistance. About the visit visa, the other user (salsera) was saying I would have to show that I have strong ties in Nigeria which would make me come back after my visit or school. I'm unmarried and just out of school, yet to get a job. Wouldn't the US girlfriend method be an easier route to take considering these conditions?
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by wunmi590(m): 9:56am On Jun 07, 2019
salsera:

I'm not your 'sweetie'

Lol, this got be laughing out loud, unah dey fight ni? grin
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Spanishmilf(m): 10:16am On Jun 07, 2019
Angulare:

Thank you very much for your assistance. About the visit visa, the other user (salsera) was saying I would have to show that I have strong ties in Nigeria which would make me come back after my visit or school. I'm unmarried and just out of school, yet to get a job. Wouldn't the US girlfriend method be an easier route to take considering these conditions?
go to Dubai and collect any European visa...and don't use them
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 10:25am On Jun 07, 2019
Spanishmilf:
go to Dubai and collect any European visa...and don't use them

I don't get you o
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Spanishmilf(m): 11:39am On Jun 07, 2019
Angulare:

I don't get you o
if you daddy give you an invitation letter your chances of getting the visas are slim because you have no ties..........if you want to get the visas easily visit Dubai and you can collect any European country visa
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by otipoju(m): 12:52pm On Jun 07, 2019
Angulare:

There are a lot of banana peels in that option. Only those who have experienced it can tell you.

Each case is different. Your dad is sponsoring you. But you have your mom in nigeria right?
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Spanishmilf(m): 1:08pm On Jun 07, 2019
otipoju:

There are a lot of banana peels in that option. Only those who have experienced it can tell you.

Each case is different. Your dad is sponsoring you. But you have your mom in nigeria right?
is mum a ties?
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by otipoju(m): 1:36pm On Jun 07, 2019
Spanishmilf:
is mum a ties?

What is a social tie? - Family.
What is an economic tie? - A job, a business, landed property.

So why should his mother living in Nigeria not be something that will bring him back at the end of his studies. If his father has a house in Nigeria, tell them at the interview and carry the document if they ask for proof.

These things are not that had people.
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 1:38pm On Jun 07, 2019
otipoju:

What is a social tie? - Family.
What is an economic tie? - A job, a business, landed property.

So why should his mother living in Nigeria not be something that will bring him back at the end of his studies. If his father has a house in Nigeria, tell them at the interview and carry the document if they ask for proof.

These things are not that had people.
Dad has no house here in Nigeria though. All his investments are abroad. Yes, mum is in Nigeria.
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jun 07, 2019
otipoju:

By banana peels you mean my chances are slim?
Well I guess I'll just go on with my life here in Nigeria.
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 07, 2019
Spanishmilf:
if you daddy give you an invitation letter your chances of getting the visas are slim because you have no ties..........if you want to get the visas easily visit Dubai and you can collect any European country visa
Lol thanks but my interest does not lie in Europe. But if that will increase my chances of getting the US Visa, ok.
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by otipoju(m): 4:30pm On Jun 07, 2019
Angulare:

Dad has no house here in Nigeria though. All his investments are abroad. Yes, mum is in Nigeria.

Your mom has a house here right?

And banana peels. I mean once any woman knows that your moving ahead in life depends on her vital imput., she will misbehave and depending on how well she is brought up will mistreat to varying degrees. So its better for you to get your green card through your dad. If you want get girlfriend, get girlfriend with no need for favours from her.

Then how old are you and what year did you finish high school. So ill know what kind of advice to give you
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 07, 2019
otipoju:

Your mom has a house here right?

And banana peels. I mean once any woman knows that your moving ahead in life depends on her vital imput., she will misbehave and depending on how well she is brought up will mistreat to varying degrees. So its better for you to get your green card through your dad. If you want get girlfriend, get girlfriend with no need for favours from her.

Then how old are you and what year did you finish high school. So ill know what kind of advice to give you
I'm 25 with a Bachelors' degree. Lol the American girlfriend is not easy to get.
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by otipoju(m): 6:22pm On Jun 07, 2019
Angulare:

I'm 25 with a Bachelors' degree. Lol the American girlfriend is not easy to get.

Apply for a masters. As long as your Dad puts his statement of account down. You are good.
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Spanishmilf(m): 9:40pm On Jun 07, 2019
Angulare:

Lol thanks but my interest does not lie in Europe. But if that will increase my chances of getting the US Visa, ok.
yeah I know EU doesn't interest you but you can get a UK visa or GERmanh visa and don't visit them or you can get a Canada visit but don't visit the country after getting any abroad country visa except African country then your chances of getting a USA visa his high
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by oluayebenz: 12:33am On Jun 08, 2019
Spanishmilf:
yeah I know EU doesn't interest you but you can get a UK visa or GERmanh visa and don't visit them or you can get a Canada visit but don't visit the country after getting any abroad country visa except African country then your chances of getting a USA visa his high

So Canada, UK and German visa is easy for him to get than US visa..... Continue....... Professional visa consultancy grin
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Spanishmilf(m): 12:40am On Jun 08, 2019
oluayebenz:

So Canada, UK and German visa is easy for him to get than US visa..... Continue....... Professional visa consultancy grin
Re: USA Citizenship For Illegitimate Nigerian Child by Nobody: 2:11am On Jun 08, 2019
oluayebenz:

Me too I was kinda confused o when spanishmilf was calling all these visas like they are moimoi to get
oluayebenz:

Please give me your own advice o if you have got any thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

National ID Card And International Passport / Switzerland Tourist Visa Help? / Dutch Hotel Prides Itself For Being ‘world’s Worst Hotel’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.