Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,566 members, 7,812,836 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers (1329 Views)

When Did You Realize Your Spouse Stopped Loving You? / My Fiancée Has Stopped Picking My Calls, Please Advise Me On What To Do / My Wife Disregarded My Instructions! I Stopped Calling Her! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by Nobody: 9:54am On Jan 09, 2017
I used to ignore calls from numbers I didn’t recognize (most people do!) until one day. Ignoring calls from hidden or unknown numbers started after I got series of prank calls.

The prank calls were from people who probably got my number from my business card. So, I got another number and said that would be a personal number for family and friends.

Any unknown number will be ignored I told myself. I liked it that way, it gave me enough privacy. I wouldn’t pick any call if it wasn’t stored already on my phone.

So one day, I decided I was going to visit my sister who lived in Port Harcourt, we talked about my coming and we agreed I was going to stay for a week.

I bought my ticket, got my things ready. I called her to let her know I was heading to the airport, we also agreed she was going to pick me up when I arrived.

I was on my way to the airport when my phone started ringing, an unknown caller! I couldn’t be bothered, I looked at my phone and continued looking out of the taxi window.

The taxi man (I was lucky, he minded his business) he looked at me through the rear mirror, and continued driving.

My phone didn’t stop ringing, I looked at the number of missed calls it was six, six missed calls! I got to the airport and boarded and left for PH.

When we touched down at the PH airport, I called my sister and her phones were switched off! Strange I thought.

What could have happened? I called again, and again but her phone remained switched off. I looked around, as if there was someone I could ask what happened.

I was drained and jet lagged, it was less than an hour flight but, it felt like I’d been on the plane for ages. Did something happen? Did she forget her phone at home or what? There were million and one questions I asked but no answers.

All other passengers had all picked their luggage and left, in fact another flight arrived and it’s passengers all left and I was still at the airport wandering about.

Then, suddenly my phone rang , it was from the number that I had been ignoring while on the way to the airport. I picked it at once, like my life depended on it!

”Hello”, I said. My sister’s voice was what I heard from the other end, I was gutted! ”Chichi what happened, where are you? ”I have been trying to reach you”, she said.

For like 5 seconds, I was speechless, not knowing whether to be happy or angry with her. I had been at the airport close to two hours before her call came in.

”What happened, where are you”? I returned her questions. ”I have been calling your number but it’s been switched off”

The next thing she said broke me. She said there was an emergency, that her husband’s younger sister had an accident in Calabar, they had to rush down from PH.

She said she left her phone at home, because they literally ran out of the house, and that she was calling with her husband’s number which I didn’t have!

She was calling to tell me about rescheduling my visit. At this point, I was no longer listening, I was thinking of how I was going to go back to Lagos.

I said OK, no problem. I will find my way back. I asked her about her sister in-law’s condition, she said, she broke a leg and was unconscious.

I rescheduled my return flight and asked an airport worker, where I could get a decent guest house to stay the night.

The next morning, I left for Lagos, feeling stupid and angry with myself! I wasted my time and money coming down to PH because I didn’t pick a simple phone call!

I learned my lessons the hard way. Now, once a call comes in, I will rush to pick it, known or unknown. I won’t be caught in the web of not picking unknown calls again, never!

Read more interesting topics on my blog @ http://www.chichiuncensored.com

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by UnknownT: 10:06am On Jan 09, 2017
This is crap! My elder sister is so fond of that to the extent I will have to send her an sms informing her I'm the one calling with the unknown number
Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by LewsTherin: 10:09am On Jan 09, 2017
If it is important, and the other fellow isn't picking up, send a text!

10 Likes

Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by austinereds(m): 10:17am On Jan 09, 2017
welldone. Good for you. hobiie. thanks though lesson learnt.
Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by sweettease(f): 10:42am On Jan 09, 2017
LewsTherin:
Exactly! As much as I'd rather pick such calls than ignore it, the logical thing to do here should be sending an SMS, the story was just annoying, 6 missed calls and wasted time and money that could have been prevented by sending a N4 SMS

7 Likes

Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 09, 2017
Your sister should have sent an SMS knowing fully well you didn't have her husbands number.

Maybe she was confused sha, but she should have thought about you too.

1 Like

Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by Florblu(f): 6:48pm On Jan 09, 2017
At least you've learnt your lesson. You should have at least pick the call to hear what the person have to say
Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by eipreel(f): 7:11pm On Jan 09, 2017
If I don't pick calls from strange numbers and the caller feels it's urgent and important,i expect an sms but then on the other hand,if I were in a situation like yours, I wouldn't dare ignore any call. If I pick and discover it's the voice of one whom I'm not interested in speaking with, I hang up immediately.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by jmoore(m): 7:52pm On Jan 09, 2017
I don't get it. Do you really expect only those you know to be only ones to call you? undecided

Business minded folks know that contacts fly around and its good for business.

The only calls that should be ignored are hidden numbers.

5 Likes

Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by jmoore(m): 7:55pm On Jan 09, 2017
LewsTherin:
Many folks don't know how to send sms.

2 Likes

Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by LewsTherin: 8:04pm On Jan 09, 2017
My business has it's own phone line and all calls are picked up on that. I agree that my personal number can move around business circles without my knowledge to people I don't kmow. I handle that by sending a text myself to unknown numbers that call repeatedly - PLEASE SEND TEXT. If the caller still refuses to send a text, their funeral.

I have never regretted ignoring a call. I have almost always regretted picking a call from an unknown number.

Like I said, if it's important, send a text.

Heck I ignore numbers I know and expect them to send texts talk less of unknowns!

2 Likes

Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by Acidosis(m): 8:32pm On Jan 09, 2017
I don't ignore any call.

I will consider changing my policy when phone manufacturers decide to abolish (phase off) the "end" key on our phones. For as long as I can "answer" and "end" with my fingers and also recognize these buttons with my senses, anybody can call.
Re: The Day I Stopped Ignoring Unknown Callers by Dexema(m): 10:48pm On Jan 09, 2017
Serves you right, people and some funny principles.

Except you occupy a sensitive position or you are a celebrity, you should be able to pick calls or have short messages to send to such persons.

(1) (Reply)

This Village People Madness Must Stop / .. / Inspirational "I Was Earning 20k A Month, But I Am Happily Married"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.