Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:33 AM

To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly (8042 Views)

Reply To Reno Omokri: How Mbaka Openly Criticised Buhari / Malabu Scandal: House Of Representative To Summon Goodluck Jonathan / Buhari Support Organisation Moves To Shut Down Senate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by sirequity(m): 8:01am On Jan 11, 2017
IN a bid to avoid a repetition of budget fraud allegations which plagued the 2016 budget, the details of the 2017 N7.3 trillion budget would be debated and passed openly at plenary and during proceedings by the House of Representatives.

House Speaker, Yakubu Dogara.

The Speaker of the House, Hon. Yakubu Dogara, in his welcome address at the resumption from the Christmas/New Year recess tuesday, reiterated the House’s commitment to the budget reform process.
He described the 2017 budget as a major tool to rejig the national economy.

“We must brace up and work assiduously and conscientiously to give Nigerians a budget that will not only lift us out of recession but kick start the needed expeditious journey into Nigeria’s prosperity. We pledge to reform the budget process,” he said.

“To this end therefore, we would ensure that the procedure and process of consideration and passage of the 2017 budget is transparent, inclusive and professionally handled. The details of the budget should be debated and passed in plenary to avoid those needless pitfalls that normally characterise the budget process,” Dogara added.

The practice before now was that budget details were debated at relevant committee levels, with each committee presenting recommendations to the House at the plenary.

Dogara, three principal officers, and some committee chairmen had been accused of budget fraud by a former Chairman of the Committee on Appropriation, Hon. Jibrin Abdulmumin, who accused them of inserting projects in the 2016 budget.

Each item in the 2017 budget would therefore be discussed openly at plenary for approval or rejection by the lawmakers.

The Speaker in his address harped on the need for passage of critical bills for economic stimulation, before active politicking starts.

He listed the bills to include Public Procurement Act amendment, Federal Competition Bill and Petroleum Industry Bill.

“The recent fiscal measures including import prohibition of certain items and the increase or decrease of tariff on some items should receive appropriate legislative scrutiny to ensure that the economy and the interests of our people are protected. We must ensure that we take no prisoners in accomplishing this task,” Dogara said.

http://www.socialtimesng.com/2017/01/avoid-scandal-house-moves-pass-budget-openly/

3 Likes

Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Nobody: 8:12am On Jan 11, 2017
Hmmmm

The issue is not whether they pass budget openly or in camera....but whether Nigerians can change their mindset of government as some sort of place where people go to eat and get fat.

Change that mindset.....and I guarantee you there will be no budget padding, no ghana must go bags, etc.

Nice to be FTC!

6 Likes

Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Arewa12: 8:13am On Jan 11, 2017
To me all na scam
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by herbeedar(m): 8:13am On Jan 11, 2017
I thinks is high time we combine the two house of assembly to be one...... To save cost tho
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Usernamesucks: 8:13am On Jan 11, 2017
A step in the right direction.
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by iamawara(m): 8:14am On Jan 11, 2017
Shiooooor. It will take them ages to finish that thing. I no longer have hope in this government......... Na so we been dey suffer up and down, so y'all think 2017 budget will make a change ? Patiently waiting for 2019
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Princecalm(m): 8:15am On Jan 11, 2017
not a bad one
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by akandry: 8:16am On Jan 11, 2017
This is a welcome development it's should be transparent for all kudos Hon.jibrin
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 11, 2017
grin
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by emmanuel596(m): 8:17am On Jan 11, 2017
2017 will be a better year for me and Nigeria at large.....click like if 2017 is already a good year for you

20 Likes

Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by deebrain(m): 8:17am On Jan 11, 2017
The voice of the people do not count in this government.

The difference here is that we would watch an election fraud or a political disaster freely on TV. Makes no difference.
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by LordAdam7: 8:17am On Jan 11, 2017
Two words, Transparency and Accountability are the major solutions to Nigeria's corruption problem not a strong man in Aso Rock.

This is a step in the right direction. Let's hope the transparency is complete and not quasi. And it is complemented by accountability at the end of the 2017 fiscal yr of how the approved money was spent.

I hope they invite the Chief of Staff in the public plenary to explain to the Nat'l Assembly and the country before cameras why the proposed amount for clearing Aso Rock sewage is above N40m and why Nigerians are paying Aso Rock rent. Among many other issues.

-Lord

3 Likes

Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Jeffrey12(m): 8:18am On Jan 11, 2017
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by davodyguy: 8:18am On Jan 11, 2017
Smoke screen.

They'll still do the padding.

Corruption in Nigeria is in born.

You get corrupt, from birth in Nigeria
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Lordsocrates: 8:20am On Jan 11, 2017
step by step we will get there...
was budgeting not the main source of all looting ?
now the mentality of "come let's take our own share of the national cake" is changing little by little. #WecanMakeNigeriaWork

1 Like

Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by paulo220(m): 8:21am On Jan 11, 2017
Interesting..... after this year Wat next?
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Nobody: 8:21am On Jan 11, 2017
iamawara:
Shiooooor. It will take them ages to finish that thing. I no longer have hope in this government......... Na so we been dey suffer up and down, so y'all think 2017 budget will make a change ? Patiently waiting for 2019

You should start praying for oil to go up to $100 and above....so that you can ''enjoy''.

And even at that...Nigeria won't be earning enough money. We should be passing budgets of 20 trillion naira and above.....
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Obiwannn: 8:25am On Jan 11, 2017
Mtchew.. Who dem epp? undecided
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by martineverest(m): 8:26am On Jan 11, 2017
bubu's campaign is working after all
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by yomalex(m): 8:27am On Jan 11, 2017
ok
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by martineverest(m): 8:27am On Jan 11, 2017
9jakohai:
Hmmmm

The issue is not whether they pass budget openly or in camera....but whether Nigerians can change their mindset of government as some sort of place where people go to eat and get fat.

Change that mindset.....and I guarantee you there will be no budget padding, no ghana must go bags, etc.

Nice to be FTC!
arent nigerians worse than their govt?...they are so hypocritical that they condemn their evil govt,while they call their evil selves
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by hush15: 8:28am On Jan 11, 2017
herbeedar:
I thinks is high time we combine the two house of assembly to be one...... To save cost tho

In as much as I did like you idea, in real democracy, you still need those two houses. Nigerians just need to work on the mindset. It's not in all cases the two houses agrees. When you have one house, it's easier for any rubbish to be instituted at the expense of the people and the economy.

Even America that we look up to has two assemblies. House of Congress and House of Senate. Even in parliamentary system, there are two houses. So the question is not in the number of houses but there need to be a paradigm shift I. How public office and service is been run such that service is to the people not to enrich and empower themselves.

2 Likes

Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Jwonder(m): 8:28am On Jan 11, 2017
9jakohai:

You should start praying for oil to go up to $100 and above....so that you can ''enjoy''.

And even at that...Nigeria won't be earning enough money. We should be passing budgets of 20 trillion naira and above.....

For the records oil price ain't our problem. The reason we are having the naira decline against the dollar is because of CBN policies. The are holding back the sufficient dollars we have and auctioning rations of it to selected fews, and pumping in Naira into the economy, every year CBN spend millions in cleaning excess liquidity which was caused by them. Have you ever asked yourself why dangote went to build his refinery in a trade free zone
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by softMarket(m): 8:30am On Jan 11, 2017
the 2016 budget.
Each item in the 2017 budget would therefore be discussed
openly at plenary for approval or rejection by the
lawmakers

150million to park shit should be removed!!

But since they are mostly APC members they won't think of removing any!!!
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by CXLVII: 8:41am On Jan 11, 2017
Good One!

Nigeria is on track for the very first time in 20 years
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 11, 2017
Jwonder:

for d records oil price ain't our problem

It is.....very much so.

Once oil prices are high, dollars flow in, and as a result, we do not need to restrict dollar flows since we have enough....and subsequently, businesses and investors flow in because it is easier to repatriate dollars out of the country.(Government has enough dollars from oil that it don't need other people's dollars).

Once oil prices are low, dollars are no longer flowing into the national coffers, which makes things like defending the naira, paying for imports, etc difficult. So, governments have to restrict dollars, to prevent bad things like the naira becoming 100000 to $1...and paying for many vital imports.Problem is...it makes things harder for investors....because govt now needs more of their dollars...and as a result....investors leave, and imports become expensive, and manufactured goods which rely on imported raw materiel become expensive.....meaning things are hard.

Now...I suppose you think I am defending Buhari....in the sense that I am saying that all these problems are ''not his fault'' In a way they are not his fault. But that is not the main point of my comment.

The main point is that the Nigerian economy needs dollars. And right now...the only source of dollars is oil...and oil prices are down drastically. Our manufacturers are not generating dollars for the economy by exporting products outside. And we are losing dollars to importing stuff we can produce.(Like tyres and toothpick for heaven's sake).

My problem with Buhari is that he is not telling us how bad it really is. We need to make dollars...and oil is not a stable source of dollars. We need to find a stable source of dollars. But getting there involves more hardship....and our governments past and present refuse to take us through that path. Either they wait for oil to rise again...or take another loan, or start selling another raw material whose prices fluctuate. We cannot go on like this.Even if oil goes up tomorrow....it does not mean things are better.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by sakalisis(m): 8:42am On Jan 11, 2017
Ok
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Nobody: 8:48am On Jan 11, 2017
Jwonder:

For the records oil price ain't our problem. The reason we are having the naira decline against the dollar is because of CBN policies. The are holding back the sufficient dollars we have and auctioning rations of it to selected fews, and pumping in Naira into the economy, every year CBN spend millions in cleaning excess liquidity which was caused by them. Have you ever asked yourself why dangote went to build his refinery in a trade free zone

As a follow up to my prevous comment....re CBN.

Emefielle did the same thing Soludo did in 2008/9...when oil prcies dropped. The differences between both situations was

1.Soludo had at least $40bn in the reserves. Emefielle had $28.

2.The oil price drop during Soludo's time was a temporary drop. Once prices rose again in late 2009, HRH the Emir of Kano (who by then had taken over)...relaxed dollar controls. Emefielle had constant oil price drops for much longer...to as low as $28...which Soludo and HRH never faced.He had no choice.

3.HRH could also afford to relax controls when he was in office because oil prices were between $90-140 when he was in office.Emefielle took over when oil was heading down from $70 to $28 ....and at a fast rate.Again....Emefielle had no choice. Nigeria was running out of dollars.

4.Dangote gets preferential treatment because he is a big contributor to the economy. And slightly off topic,...Bubu is also relaxing things a bit for local manufacturers.

2 Likes

Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by FuckTheMod: 8:54am On Jan 11, 2017
Those criminals

Dogara and co may still pad it undecided
Re: To Avoid Scandal, House Moves To Pass Budget openly by Jwonder(m): 8:55am On Jan 11, 2017
9jakohai:

As a follow up to my prevous comment....re CBN.

Emefielle did the same thing Soludo did in 2008/9...when oil prcies dropped. The differences between both situations was

1.Soludo had at least $40bn in the reserves. Emefielle had $28.

2.The oil price drop during Soludo's time was a temporary drop. Once prices rose again in late 2009, HRH the Emir of Kano (who by then had taken over)...relaxed dollar controls. Emefielle had constant oil price drops for much longer...to as low as $28...which Soludo and HRH never faced.He had no choice.

3.HRH could also afford to relax controls when he was in office because oil prices were between $90-140 when he was in office.Emefielle took over when oil was heading down from $70 to $28 ....and at a fast rate.Again....Emefielle had no choice. Nigeria was running out of dollars.

4.Dangote gets preferential treatment because he is a big contributor to the economy. And slightly off topic,...Bubu is also relaxing things a bit for local manufacturers.

We don't only make dollars from sales of Crude oil.. do you know how much dollars Nigerians in diaspora sent back hope, i don't know the exact figures but it's in billions but the CBN holds back all that dollars and give out the Naira equivalent so where are all those dollars, we are not lacking in dollars, this isn't the first time the reserves has gone low.

Secondly do you know the constant scarcity of Dollars will keep pushing up the dollars against the naira. ?

They should just relax this their so called dollar control and watch how everything goes back to Normal

Lastly Why i brought up the dangote issue was that Dangote knew he had to pay back people he borrowed money from in dollars do he built his refinery in a place where buyers can pay in dollars because he knew the stress he would have to go through if he gets paid in Naira and starts sourcing for dollars.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

CASSAVA BREAD: Another Failed GEJ's Policy (PHOTO) / I Fear No Juju - Badaru Abubakar, Chairman APC Pry Election Committee In Ondo / IPOB Heavy Protest Today Shut Down Southeast And South South (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.