Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,855 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:26 PM

Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? (15110 Views)

Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. / They Require A Third Class Graduate. What Could Be The Reason? / Photo: OMG! See This Shocking Application Letter By A BSC Holder (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by chire(m): 7:22pm On Nov 25, 2009
spoilt:

Congrats on your achievements. Just curious and you dont have to answer. What do you attribute your third class too? A bad system? Your youth and inability to apply yourself back then?

Thanks.
Looking back then, i would say the system was very bad. The academic environment is such that it does not really bring out the quality in some people.I experienced my share of "lecturer gang up". In my secong year,a lecturer gave me a low grade in one of my courses and he wanted me to give him money to get a higher grade.I refused and reported him the head of department (who was very fatherly).It came to light that i was cheated,and the lecturer was seriously reprimanded.His colleagues got to know of what happened,and for the rest of my stay in unilag,i was a "marked man" in the department.I remember so many of my assignments going "missing" and the lecturers claimed they never saw my coursework even though the class representative would confirm i submitted my assignments to him.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by hackney(m): 8:03pm On Nov 25, 2009
@poster
Hia!!
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by kech(f): 8:05pm On Nov 25, 2009
chire:

Thanks.
Looking back then, i would say the system was very bad. The academic environment is such that it does not  really bring out the quality in some people.I experienced my share of "lecturer gang up". In my secong year,a lecturer gave me a low grade in one of my courses and he wanted me to give him money to get a higher grade.I refused and reported him the head of department (who was very fatherly).It came to light that i was cheated,and the lecturer was seriously reprimanded.His colleagues got to know of what happened,and for the rest of my stay in unilag,i was a "marked man" in the department.I remember so many of my assignments going "missing" and the lecturers claimed they never saw my coursework even though the class representative would confirm i submitted my assignments to him.

Chire I really understand your situation. I barely missed a 2:1 because of a lecturer. I came out with a 2:2. It could have been worse if not for the fact that I had an a family friend who was a lecturer and he helped me hold off the guy for a bit. I've seen lecturers wreck people and I was a victim (even though mine was minor). That's why I don't judge people with their class of degrees. For crying out loud, I remember when I went back to collect my statement of result and at the 'Exams and Records' office, someone was telling me to pay a certain amount to upgrade my GPA to that of a 2:1. I know at least 3 people who did it. At that time, I didn't want anything to do with that school anymore. I was already traumatized. I wanted to get out FAST! I just said "No thank you." and bounced with my 2:2.

PS: There are people who really deserve their 2:1 or Third class. I'm just speaking for those who had circumstances that befell them.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by MrCrackles(m): 8:10pm On Nov 25, 2009
Frankly speaking the "hope for a third class BSC holder is hopeless cool"
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by MrCrackles(m): 8:18pm On Nov 25, 2009
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by Doubleen: 8:36pm On Nov 25, 2009
@MrCrackles thumbs up!!!

@ Redhit, no hope in the job market but u can go into business as an IMPORTER/EXPORTER COCO-WATER, grin
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by parki: 9:20pm On Nov 25, 2009
abeg why una dey encourage this person

there is no hope unless sey u wan open shop for alaba market or for aba,
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by akintun: 9:21pm On Nov 25, 2009
Go for ur masters. u can be taken in unilag because a grading system is used. Just make sure u pass the exams which is 50%. Ur grade is about 20 to 30%(i can't really remember) and u must join a professional organisation to get the remaining makes. Just make sure u pass the test well becos a third class will reduce ur % 4 the makes allocated to Grades.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by C2H5OH(f): 1:04am On Nov 26, 2009
You gotta market yourself. Try to network. Start from a small company. Work your way up there. Work your way up as fast as you can to a leadership position. Continue building your profile. Search for opportunities in estbalished, reputable companies and see where the ride takes you.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by unclesamtech(m): 2:38am On Nov 26, 2009
There is hope;just believe in God and go for Pgd programme 1st,
God is our Strength !!!
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by COUNTAWO: 5:28am On Nov 26, 2009
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by Mubz(m): 6:41am On Nov 26, 2009
MAJORITY of successful and wealthy people in the world never even had a proper TERTIARY academic education in the first place, Think about that, WORD!!!
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by C2H5OH(f): 7:33am On Nov 26, 2009
Part true, dude. Entrepreneurship ftw.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by beelyjay45(m): 8:20am On Nov 26, 2009
Yep am a living sample came out with a 3rd class in 2004 Bsc Computer Science now I own my own company, didnt even borhter to apply for any job wat so ever, just put on my thinkin cap and asked myself wat business can I do, n poof it came, now by God's grace am now a GBOGBO BIGZ BOYZ , an employer of labour. Pls am advising all of u in skool to come out with a thrid class it pays @ d long run grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by back2back(f): 9:36am On Nov 26, 2009
Another 'stupid classification' we inheritted from the British System!

No wonder we waste our 'human resource', everyone cannot have 2.1 or 2.2.

But do ever wonder what happened to rest of the people?

when such people finally get to position of power they pay back the society!

Don't let any 'GRADE' define you!

You can only define yourself by your ability to succeed in this callous society.

Good Luck!
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by sunnykiss(m): 10:45am On Nov 26, 2009
Use it to go and join The Nigerian Police Force, grin
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by ebmulo(m): 11:32am On Nov 26, 2009
chire:

@ poster
yes there is a lot of hope.
i graduated with a third class degree in 2002 from unilag.
presently i am about to finish a phd programme in one of the very good schools in UK.

on hearing i have a masters and am finishing a phd,no employer has bothered to inquire more about my first degree.on the contrary,they seem to respect me more for going so far academically in an internationally renowned university despite starting out with a third class degree.
dont let anyone discourage you.its not the end of the world.just try to pick up yourself,remedy the situation by getting a postgraduate degree,and play your cards the best way you can.
best wishes.

wow!!chire i'm really inspired at your transformation.you are the type people should look up to for inspiration.congratulations.
the sky is definately your limit.

MrCrackles:

@mrcrackles
read chire's post above.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by C2H5OH(f): 11:36am On Nov 26, 2009
LOL @back2back. If you want to abandon the system do so at your own discretion. But be ready to deal with whatever it lands you.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by frankkky: 12:15pm On Nov 26, 2009
@mr crackles man you are so sick!!why are you trying to discorage the poster,i used to have a high regard for you on nl,@poster dont mind peeps like mr crackles,u can actually still make it,just go for a good PGD dont let no one put down ur spirits
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by RuuDie(m): 1:52pm On Nov 26, 2009
@ topic,

if u're unsure of ur future as a B.sc - wonder what Lower Credit HND people should be doing!? this country sef undecided
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by parki: 9:44pm On Nov 26, 2009
there is no hope for third class, he who has ear let him hear

unless say ur papa get leg or u r heavily connected and even at that sef shame sef go dey catch ur papa to tell anyone say na third class im son take graduate

otherwise my guy go back to skul and make una stop to dey deceive this guy
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by MrCrackles(m): 9:48pm On Nov 26, 2009
ebmulo:

@mrcrackles
read chire's post above.
Yes and so what?
I only said the hope for a third class holder is "hopeless"
Chire made something out of his/her hopelessness
If the poster can, then let him/her go ahead and do the same! cool
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by MrCrackles(m): 9:49pm On Nov 26, 2009
frankkky:

@mr crackles man you are so sick!!why are you trying to discorage the poster,i used to have a high regard for you on nl,
Thank you. . .But i am not sick neither am i trying to discourage anyone! cool
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by jonsn: 11:15am On Nov 27, 2009
2 options: take a postgraduate prog
or take cert programs
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by fallguy(m): 11:21am On Nov 27, 2009
having a 3rd class can b better than having a 2.2! cuz when u succeed people are always gone say - he had a 3rd class and yet he's so successful etc.
its like the comback kid thing.nobody says he had a 2.2,or 2.1 and he's so
, it like duh-oh. but with a 3rd !! boy - u bring down the glory .
the alternative is get a first class!! - yeah,people will duff and say-wow!! he made a 1st class. its all about how u play ur part in the movie of life!!
and when its all over,like the nigerian russia match - where nigeria came from
a 4 -0 down position to win,u'd have enjoyed the show. so - enjoy this suspense time
in the movie of ur life.
its happened b4, a typical example is joseph in the bible!!
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by Relax71: 2:23pm On Nov 27, 2009
If there is hope for college drop out (Bill Gates), why cant there be hope for a GRADUATE
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by TheLight2: 3:28pm On Nov 27, 2009
Check out the 100 Richest people on earth and tell me how many of them have 1st class, 2nd class or any class at all.

Life is not about how people grade you but how you decide to grade yourself.
Make the best of your life and be respected then you will be a first class.

Bill Gate is a first class brain But never got 1st class, OK?
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by transformR: 4:20pm On Nov 27, 2009
The Light2:

Check out the 100 Richest people on earth and tell me how many of them have 1st class, 2nd class or any class at all.

Life is not about how people grade you but how you decide to grade yourself.
Make the best of your life and be respected then you will be a first class.

Bill Gate is a first class brain But never got 1st class, OK?

Good point even the founder of Facebook is a drop out, Steve Jobs the Billionaire founder of Apple never went to university, John Major the Former Prime minister of England never went to uni, George Dubya got a pass and [b]most [/b]ex-Nigerian Presidents except Yaradua did not have a degree. There are many more examples. Even after you get a 2:1 or a First you still have to prove yourself in the REAl world. If you want to continue with your studies you can:

1. Start another degree in a related subject and maybe they will exempt you from the first year.
2. Top up you 3rd class degree with a Post Graduate Diplioma
3. Do some professional qualifications instead.

Otherwise you could consider being an entrepreneur or learning a lucrative craft. For example here in England there is a shortage of Plumbers, carpenters and so on. You could use your skills to give you an edge.

good luck.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by stede(m): 4:57pm On Nov 27, 2009
the disastrous thing to happen to one is to come out with 3rd class.
but not withstanding the class you come out has not to do with ur swagger in the ginger.
i don't care the class i come out with even with a PASS in the school it does not matter @ all.
the fact that i come with a pass did not mean i don't have some stuff on my head.
there will be some factors that contribute to my class such as
-the department (course)
-the lecturers ( sadist e.g IN GREAT IFE)
- other factors such as financial status, self e.t.c
what really matter most is me myself. i mean the rate i can innovate & diligently gingerate in the swagger market
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:49pm On Nov 27, 2009
Where there is life, there is hope. Just say E go hard. Infact let me give you a passage from the bible;

""It will be easier for a Camel to pass throough the eye of a needle than for a 3rd class holder to find a good paying Job in naija.""
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by chihen: 6:54am On Nov 28, 2009
i knw & belive that there is hope 4 3rd class,it all depends on individuals.the way out is God intervention
or on the a/c of who u knw.preferable if u must seek 4 job go through what they call internal recruitment.
good luck.
Re: Is There Any Hope For A Third Class Bsc Holder? by saksonA: 4:27pm On Nov 28, 2009
there is hope especially in engineering cos they only need your skills in most cases and  not ur degree. despite the fact that i am a 2:1 student i av never presented my cv for working with any construction company and i have worked for 5 constuction companies within 18 months. although i have resign now and trying to set up my own biz. even those companies i even make presentations to, they hardly call me for interviews but any time i secure employment, it is often base on my experience. so my dear there is hope, just try and be able to prove ursef. most of my friends fall into such categories, even i know of one that even have 2yrs extra on campus and now he has a good job. so pray hard and have hope

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NAVY DSSC: How Tough Is The Training / Heritage Bank Starts Recruitment / 4 Tips To Help You Write A CV When You’ve Got No Work Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.