Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,411 members, 7,822,909 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:22 PM

Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle (9427 Views)

Keep Your Vehicle In Shape By Maintaining These 7 Fluids / How To Prepare Your Vehicle For Travel / 15 Tips To Prolong The Life-span Of Your Vehicle. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by jakautoworld: 9:21am On Jan 11, 2017
HOW  TO CHECK OIL LEVEL AND BRAKE FLUID LEVEL
Relying too much on car mechanics is an expensive habit, knowing fully well that not everybody will have a mechanic living very close to his/her apartment. By arming yourself with basic knowledge regarding car maintenance, you’ll not only save a lot, but you’ll also enjoy better performing vehicles. Plus, no one will be able to trick you into availing of certain services or additional automotive features that you or your vehicle doesn’t really need or which may not even exist.
Firstly, as a car owner you must know How to Check Engine Oil Levels
Checking oil levels is crucial because too much or too little can damage your car engine, which also undermines the safety of both drivers and passengers. It’s quite simple to check the oil, but before this is done, it’s important to take note of the following:

1. Don’t try to measure oil levels when a car is still warm as it’s highly possible to get a false reading.

2. Park on a flat road or a level ground to get a more accurate reading.

3. Pull out and clean the dipstick first. The dipstick can get all grimy and covered with grease, which make it almost impossible to see where the oil level is.

Check a car’s oil level by inserting the dipstick fully until its top rests on the same level as the opening of the dip tube. Remove and check where the oil level is. If the mark is between “H” and “L” (high and low), then the level is fine.

Too much oil
When the dipstick tells you that you have overfilled your car with oil, drain a small amount until the level is between the “H” and “L” marks. Remember that too much oil can put a lot of strain on many parts of your car’s engines, including the clutch. Oil is a vital auto lubricant, and it aids in cooling and cleaning engines. But it shouldn’t be flowing all over the place as it destabilizes the efficiency of several engine pieces.

Too little oil
If the dipstick reading is on or below the “L” mark, this indicates the need to add more oil. As mentioned, don’t overfill. Add about one quart of oil. When the dipstick comes up dry, then you have to investigate further as your car may be leaking. Have your car checked for problems related to unnecessary or extreme oil burning as well.

How to Check Brake Fluid Levels
The brake fluid ensures that a car’s clutch system is functioning efficiently, which is vital in avoiding road traffic accidents. To avoid the brake system from corroding, the brake fluid should be changed when needed. To check, locate the reservoir. (See manual to find out where your car’s brake fluid is positioned.) If the fluid is low or on the “MIN” mark, fill it up until the “MAX” line. Be careful when filling up the brake fluid tank because any contaminant that falls into it can damage or affect the efficiency of the brake system. More importantly, brake fluid is a highly toxic chemical. Wear protective gloves or glasses and dispose of used items properl

Jak Autoworld

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by esti98: 1:51pm On Jan 11, 2017
This is educative, thanks a lot
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jan 12, 2017
and if you find it difficult to do, just give us a call, we have group of mobile mechanic 09091202420

2 Likes

Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by ngoben(f): 6:57am On Jan 17, 2017
soo educative..... tks op
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by NLorubebe(m): 7:00am On Jan 17, 2017
angry
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by shortgun(m): 7:00am On Jan 17, 2017
My car didn't come with a dipstick....so how will I check the oil level?

Its good to have knowledge of how to work on ur car but u must have the right knowledge. If not you will end up with more problems.

2 Likes

Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by jay99(m): 7:01am On Jan 17, 2017
Okay..nice
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by MrPresident1: 7:01am On Jan 17, 2017
Learn how to change tyre too

1 Like

Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by ajoo17(m): 7:04am On Jan 17, 2017
This is good and interesting to read. Thanks.
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by kachi08(m): 7:04am On Jan 17, 2017
Thank you very much... God bless you plenty
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by SIRKAY98(m): 7:05am On Jan 17, 2017
Best Learn is to be sensitive to any change that occurs in your car at any time e.g Sound,..it may be change in Motion Sound from ur Tyre. It may be change in Engine sound from siezed Fan Blades. And so on E t c Was saved severally from this .i got to know my Tyre knots were loosed because there is a wobing Sound from my back since i had rim covers i never knew anything only to come down and check but finds out my tyre knots ,the whole 5knot were loosed to d effect that if i use my hand it turning them one by one.
Even if you can detect sounds you will know when likely your car wants to brake down

1 Like

Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by jakautoworld: 7:15am On Jan 17, 2017
shortgun:
My car didn't come with a dipstick....so how will I check the oil level?

Its good to have knowledge of how to work on ur car but u must have the right knowledge. If not you will end up with more problems.

What brand of car are you driving? In some cars you can check your oil reading from the instrument cluster.
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by Rainmaker69(m): 7:16am On Jan 17, 2017
Good stuff! We need to learn more handy skills. Technicians aren't respected enough because we reserve menial tasks for them.
On the issue of auto fluids, i believe the engine needs to be warm when checking tranny fluid.
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by uvalued(m): 7:26am On Jan 17, 2017
jakautoworld:

HOW  TO CHECK OIL LEVEL AND BRAKE FLUID LEVEL
Relying too much on car mechanics is an expensive habit, knowing fully well that not everybody will have a mechanic living very close to his/her apartment. By arming yourself with basic knowledge regarding car maintenance, you’ll not only save a lot, but you’ll also enjoy better performing vehicles. Plus, no one will be able to trick you into availing of certain services or additional automotive features that you or your vehicle doesn’t really need or which may not even exist.
Firstly, as a car owner you must know How to Check Engine Oil Levels
Checking oil levels is crucial because too much or too little can damage your car engine, which also undermines the safety of both drivers and passengers. It’s quite simple to check the oil, but before this is done, it’s important to take note of the following:

1. Don’t try to measure oil levels when a car is still warm as it’s highly possible to get a false reading.

2. Park on a flat road or a level ground to get a more accurate reading.

3. Pull out and clean the dipstick first. The dipstick can get all grimy and covered with grease, which make it almost impossible to see where the oil level is.

Check a car’s oil level by inserting the dipstick fully until its top rests on the same level as the opening of the dip tube. Remove and check where the oil level is. If the mark is between “H” and “L” (high and low), then the level is fine.

Too much oil
When the dipstick tells you that you have overfilled your car with oil, drain a small amount until the level is between the “H” and “L” marks. Remember that too much oil can put a lot of strain on many parts of your car’s engines, including the clutch. Oil is a vital auto lubricant, and it aids in cooling and cleaning engines. But it shouldn’t be flowing all over the place as it destabilizes the efficiency of several engine pieces.

Too little oil
If the dipstick reading is on or below the “L” mark, this indicates the need to add more oil. As mentioned, don’t overfill. Add about one quart of oil. When the dipstick comes up dry, then you have to investigate further as your car may be leaking. Have your car checked for problems related to unnecessary or extreme oil burning as well.

How to Check Brake Fluid Levels
The brake fluid ensures that a car’s clutch system is functioning efficiently, which is vital in avoiding road traffic accidents. To avoid the brake system from corroding, the brake fluid should be changed when needed. To check, locate the reservoir. (See manual to find out where your car’s brake fluid is positioned.) If the fluid is low or on the “MIN” mark, fill it up until the “MAX” line. Be careful when filling up the brake fluid tank because any contaminant that falls into it can damage or affect the efficiency of the brake system. More importantly, brake fluid is a highly toxic chemical. Wear protective gloves or glasses and dispose of used items properl

Jak Autoworld

thanks andytins which mode posted this to front page... thank you this are the type of thread we like
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by erico2k2(m): 7:29am On Jan 17, 2017
You should learn how to
1 Change the wiper blades
2 change tyres
3 change Bulbs
4 check fluid levels
5 clean your car

2 Likes

Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by shortgun(m): 7:30am On Jan 17, 2017
jakautoworld:

What brand of car are you driving? In some cars you can check your oil reading from the instrument cluster.
Benz...yes I check the oil level on the instrument cluster, you will also see a warning if the oil level becomes low.
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by sakalisis(m): 7:37am On Jan 17, 2017
Ok
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by bakynes(m): 7:59am On Jan 17, 2017
SIRKAY98:
Best Learn is to be sensitive to any change that occurs in your car at any time e.g Sound,..it may be change in Motion Sound from ur Tyre. It may be change in Engine sound from siezed Fan Blades. And so on E t c Was saved severally from this .i got to know my Tyre nuts were losing because there is a wobing Sound from my back since i had rim covers i never knew anything only to come down and check but finds out my tyre nuts ,the whole 5nuts were loosing to d effect that if i use my hand it turning them one by one.
Even if you can detect sounds you will know when likely your car wants to brake down
This issue of loosed knots happened to me this past weekend,the tyre was woobling and I knew immediately that was the problem parked and tightened with my Wheel spanner.

1 Like

Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by sekem: 8:19am On Jan 17, 2017
Wotof gear oil?

Wotof car temperature?

Wotof airbag sysyem? grin
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by teodcreative: 8:21am On Jan 17, 2017
Netsosville Nigeria Limited is a Bus management company that helps Bus owners to manage their buses effectively and with a good delivery fee.
Why not call us today to put smiles on your face @ Primal tek plaza ,Egbeda..08135157776[color=#006600][/color]
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by lonelydora: 10:53am On Jan 17, 2017
Good one.
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by erico2k2(m): 5:20pm On Jan 17, 2017
teodcreative:
Netsosville Nigeria Limited is a Bus management company that helps Bus owners to manage their buses effectively and with a good delivery fee.
Why not call us today to put smiles on your face @ Primal tek plaza ,Egbeda..08135157776[color=#006600][/color]
you would need to explain more,to attract people
Re: Things You Need To Know How To Do On Your Vehicle by jakautoworld: 9:22pm On Jan 17, 2017
Rainmaker69:
Good stuff! We need to learn more handy skills. Technicians aren't respected enough because we reserve menial tasks for them.
On the issue of auto fluids, i believe the engine needs to be warm when checking tranny fluid.

Yes sir

(1) (Reply)

Dear Men, Do Share Your Experiences Of Good Female Drivers You Have Ever Seen / Hyundai Mobis Invents World-first Sunroof Airbag / Please Help With My 2010 Corolla P0500 Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.