Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,220 members, 7,811,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:39 PM

Types Of Showing Off - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Types Of Showing Off (11951 Views)

"Jumuah Funny Memes": 10 Types Of People You Would Meet In The Mosque On Fridays / Do Not Forego Doing Good Deeds For Fear Of Showing Off / Riya – Showing Off In Acts Of Worship. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Types Of Showing Off by azygus11: 10:33pm On Jan 11, 2017
If a person shows off in his worship, then this falls under four categories.

1. If showing off is the driving force behind doing the act of worship, then the worship is invalid. It is reported in the hadeeth qudsi that Allaah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) said,

“I am the One, One Who does not stand in need of a partner. If anyone does anything in which he associates anyone else with Me, I shall abandon him with one whom he associates with Allaah.” [3]

2. If a person begins his worship sincerely and showing off occurs later at which point he tries to stop showing off, then his worship is valid.

Otherwise, if he continues and does not attempt to ward it off, inclining towards it, then one examines whether the latter part of this worship depends on its earlier part or vice verse. For example, with salaah and wudhu, these worships would become invalid in this case.

On the other hand, if the worship is distinguished such that the parts are independent, then whatever occurred before showing off is valid, and whatever occurred after the person began to show off is invalid. For instance, a person gives $50 in charity sincerely. Later, he gives $500 to show off. His first donation is valid while the $500 are invalid.

3. If a person begins to show off after concluding the worship, then the worship is valid. However, this nullifies the reward for the worship.

Allaah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) said (in the translation of the meaning):

"O you who believe! Do not render in vain your Sadaqah (charity) by reminders of your generosity or by injury, like him who spends his wealth to be seen of men, and he does not believe in Allaah, nor in the Last Day. His likeness is the likeness of a smooth rock on which is a little dust; on it falls heavy rain which leaves it bare. They are not able to do anything with what they have earned. And Allaah does not guide the disbelieving people."
Surah al-Baqarah (2:264)

4. The showing off is in the descriptive manner of the worship, not its origin. As such, the person initiates the action for the sake of Allaah (سُبْحَانَهُ وَ تَعَالَى) but shows off in its description.

For instance, someone begins his salaah sincerely, but he hears someone come, at which point he begins to perfect his salaah more than normal. In this situation, all of that which he added to the sincere part of the salaah will have no reward.

Dr. Saleh As-Saleh
Read more beneficial Islamic articles at: www.knowledgeofmydeen.bogspot.com

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Types Of Showing Off by akandry: 12:19pm On Jan 13, 2017
Jazakumullahu khirahn
Re: Types Of Showing Off by free2ryhme: 12:24pm On Jan 13, 2017
Seun and Mods,

Remove your signature from my profile and return my Edit profile link

2 Likes

Re: Types Of Showing Off by Origin(f): 1:22pm On Jan 13, 2017
Thank you so much for the reminder.

I wonder if some posts we make on social media might not be regarded as showing off.
Re: Types Of Showing Off by Mutuwa(m): 2:46pm On Jan 13, 2017
Origin:
Thank you so much for the reminder.

I wonder if some posts we make on social media might not be regarded as showing off.

depends on the content and intent made.
This is why it was said by the holy prophet SAW: speak good or be silent.

besides some postings on social media are not acts of ibadat,save for if one can prove such.
Re: Types Of Showing Off by TheOtherRoom: 8:10pm On Jan 18, 2017
And this too angry

(1) (Reply)

Muslims Burned Alive A 10 Years Old Xtian Boy For Refusing To Convert To Islam!! / How To Date As A Muslim / Lowering One's Voice; Women And Phone!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.