Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Delayed Diagnosis - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Delayed Diagnosis (165160 Views)

Delayed Elation (what Will Be Will Be) / The Diagnosis (episode 1) / Destiny Delayed But Unchanged By Oduniyi Olajide David…… (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 6:41pm On Mar 17, 2017
"Know why they call me shadow..cos I operate in the dark!" I heard his voice and he didn't sound polite anymore.
He sounded crazy and I could easily Imagine him penning the letter my mother gave to me.
He sounded some steps in front of me and the briefcase refused to open.
I swung it madly catching a wide arc and hoping to catch him on the side of the head.
Swwwoooosh!
The sound must have given away my position.
I continued moving closer swinging and swinging but in the dark I hoped to catch him on the side of the head. The briefcase was heavy and if I could hit him he would touch the ground. That was for sure.

I must have swung like 6 times but apart from the 'air' I hadn't hurt anything.
"Just look at you..you really are an easy prey I must have over hyped you that's for sure"
He sounded to my right. How had he gotten there so noiselessly?
I heard Olivia whimper behind me and I knew I was in error.
When this man had killed Sule he had been so swift. The darkness hadn't stopped him I shouldn't even leave Olivia's side for one second.
I retraced my steps until I gratefully felt the wheelchair nudge my leg.
"You bastard..show your face...you killed Sule! You won't kill anybody again"
"The only way to kill a shadow is to shine the light..but you lack the light."
I was fumbling with the briefcase..why did it choose to Bleep me up now especially!
"Enough with this games..you are not in my league" he sounded like he was to my right then he sounded to my left..I was looking to and fro like a tennis match spectator.

Olivia must have a side button that controls flashlight on her phone because her Android phone blasted a strong beam of white light all of a sudden. I saw the shadow a few steps to my right and the needle glistened and reflected in the strong flashlight.

Anger blinded me and I swung the briefcase in a perfect arc..expecting to hear the sickening thud of his skull cracking.
I was soo wrong. He stepped back and caught my wrist and twisted so swiftly. I shouted in pain as the briefcase fell from my hand. It hit the floor and the bastard opened.(just imagine!)
He had my hand pinned behind my back and he twisted my wrist till I saw stars. The pain was blinding!
"I over estimated you it seems..I should just inject you now once and for all..you weren't worth my time after all."
He brought the needle closer to my eyes and I struggled but my shoulder was feeling like it would get dislocated.
"I would kill you then I might have the widow in this very room..while your lifeless eyes watch us" he laughed and I knew the man was truly crazy.
What he said angered me and I tried to move but he just twisted my arm tighter and forced me to my knees.
"Make sure you think about-"
SMAAAACK!!!
The problem with sociopaths and psychos generally is that they talk too much.
Olivia had somehow managed to wheel herself closer and she used her phone which was as large as a tablet. To smack him on the face.
All 12 inches of the screen and it was quite a smart slap!
It only made him angrier it seemed and he looked at her with red eyes. Her phone clattered to the floor and the light pointed to the ceiling.
"Infact I'd save some pentothal for your bitch of a friend" he sounded really mad..and not just crazy but mad angry!
The needle got closer to my neck and I didn't even have any final thoughts...no faces flashing in memory of my family members, no reflecting of the things I was yet to do in life.
I had gone through all that on previous occasions when I had stared down the barrel of the gun.
The door opened suddenly and light from the corridor swept into the ward.
The doctor whom I had previously assaulted had returned with two security personnel.
One of them was very huge..wrestler status and I almost cried out on relief.
"You need to have seen this mad man..there he is!...wait what's going on here?!!"

Shadow released me immediately as the doctor switched on the light.
The needle disappeared in his cleaner's coverall and he moved towards the security guards.
"Doctor..this man was about to rape that woman! Thank God you're here"
I was still on the floor at the foot of Olivia's wheelchair, blinking rapidly trying to clear my eyes and I knew it could really look that way.
"That's a lie..that man is a killer!" Olivia shouted.
The burly security stepped forward.
"Nobody move..you!" He pointed at me "on your feet now!"
Tosin aka the shadow had reached his mop bucket and he stopped when the burly guard ordered everyone to be still.
As the security came closer however he unhooked the mop stick and rolled it in both hands martial arts style. He caught the guard in his face then rolled it again then cut him off at his knees.
For all his size it took just a mere mop stick to bring him to his knees. Although shadow was a professional and he probably knew the right spot to strike.
He hooked the stick on the guards neck who was swaying on his knees then twisted. I heard the snapping noise and the guard fell to the ground.
I struggled to my feet. My arm was killing me. I saw the briefcase partially open on the floor and my brain jump started.Some dollar bills had gotten out. I dived to the floor to retrieve the silenced gun from case.
The second security had a tazer and he charged at shadow who dispatched the tazer before he could even reach him. He turned 360 and used the stick to send the guard to the floor. Just one strike and I was surprised but when I saw the blood I realized the end of the stick had a sharp blade. It was buried in the mop like a normal cleaning tool, but when it was out and unhooked, it was a formidable weapon!
The doctor had fled since! Probably when the first security had his neck snapped.

Shadow turned at me with a wicked smile but then he saw the gun I held and his smile disappeared.
I had nothing to say to him. Just one word: "Bastard!"
I squeezed the trigger three times.

This shadow of a person was something else.
He threw himself backwards, did a back flip and flung himself out of the room through the thick door and out of the corridor.
I couldn't believe it! I missed!

I must have said it out loud because Olivia answered me.
"No you didn't see the blood near the door"
I looked closely and sure enough there was blood on the floor. I had hit the bastard. Not enough to kill him apparently but I'd take what I could.
"We need to leave here quick! Where is your room? I'm sorry I dragged you into this..I wish-"
She interrupted me.
"Are you serious? You're not leaving me behind! Take me with you.. I can't spend one more minute in this hospital!"

My eye caught a lab coat on a rack on the wall and I put it on. I kept the gun in my breast pocket. That way it wasn't visible but I had easy access to it. Olivia held the briefcase in her lap.
I wheeled her out of the ward like she was my patient.
She looked away as we passed the security guards bodies on the floor. Outside the corridor was empty. I saw the trail of blood just drops here and there.. from shadow and I wondered where the bullet had got him. I hoped in his balls.
I prayed my luck would hold and I wouldn't run into anyone in the corridor like her fat mean doctor for instance. I pushed her quickly towards the stairs.

On the side meant for wheelchair I pushed her down then I saw the woman and her daughter who had been in the ward just minutes ago coming up the stairs.
She first thought I was the doctor who had attended to them.
"Excuse me doctor..but one of this drugs we already have it and the pharmacist insists on selling it to us .wait you're not the doctor!"
She eyed me suspiciously.
"The doctor is downstairs..don't go In they just brought in a new emergency case..very bloody and that place is not somewhere you should be now..especially with your daughter"
She turned back frustrated and I hurriedly wheeled Olivia the rest of the way down.
I was looking at the floor but since the stairs, I hadn't seen any sign of blood anymore.
That had me worried.
"I forgot my phone!" Olivia said suddenly.
"Lemme run back and get it"
"No no no...just let's go please..that man could still be anywhere and there are dead bodies in there!" She looked sick and I could tell it was her first time.
Sadly me on the other hand was becoming a veteran..I couldn't even count anymore.

I played it cool downstairs and I tried to look relaxed and play the part of a doctor.
Outside in the open breeze I breathed a sigh of relief and increased the speed
I used the remote to open the door and I helped her onto the passenger seat.
The wheel chair was the foldable type and I folded it and dumped it in the backseat.

So many things were on my mind..I felt watched and I feared this shadow could be watching me with the intention of following me home..also I was taking Olivia away from her medications which were still ongoing..although she Didn't look like she was in pain at the moment.
My parents were at home and I had no idea how I was going to explain her presence. The most important thing was getting her to safety first.
I started the car and my phone vibrated it was Andy.
"Oba what's happening? Any show?"
"I'd explain later..how about my parents?"
"They've been asking and asking I told them it must be traffic.. What happened"
"I'm with Olivia now.."
"The widow?..what happened?"
"Later Andy..see find a way to sneak out of the house and meet me at Alakija junction...I have a feeling this assasin is going to follow us and that would be a big error!"
"Okay no problem...what's the plan?"
"I'm just going with my instincts"
"You and your instincts...I'd be there..when you're approaching you flash me..together we can loose the killer..and good job with the widow..with her on our side the initiative is good as gone"
I cut the call. Sometimes Andy also talked too much.
I put the car in reverse but looked at Olivia first.
"I'm sorry"
"For what?"
"Your life is about to be turned upside down"
We were at a point now and we both knew it. She had one leg in but she could back out now. Whatever she said next would determine if she was in or not.

We looked at each other in silence for some seconds but then she said "my life turned upside down a week ago"
She had stepped in.
I reversed the car and drove into the night looking at the rearview mirror every few seconds.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 8:30pm On Mar 18, 2017
The ride was a long one and I broke enough traffic rules.
Olivia had about a thousand questions for me and she kept on asking one after the other. I tried my best to allay her fears but then I noticed a particular set of headlights. It had been following me since the hospital and the way it switched lanes constantly I knew it had to be the shadow in the car.
"So who exactly are this people that you got mixed up with?"
I was trying my best to shake of the tail without her knowing. I couldn't do that and maintain a conversation.
"Olivia I promise you once we're safely behind closed doors and under lock and key I'd tell you all you need to know"
She accepted this with a slight nod and I focused on the driving. The car was directly behind me now ,I switched lanes and it followed me.
I would be getting to Festac in about 15 minutes.

I dialed Andy. He picked up on the first ring.
"Andy where are you?"
"I'm at the junction..where are you?"
"I'm close..about 15 minutes away..but a car has been following us since the hospital and I fear the worst"
"Don't worry..I'm well prepared"
"What do you have planned?"
"Just make sure you alert me when you're like 5 minutes away..don't worry everything would be fine..peace"
This time he cut the call.
Olivia was struggling to turn back.
"You mean we're being followed?"
I nodded solemnly.
"But trust me..he would be stopped before we get home"
She was silent.
"How's your leg?"
"It doesn't hurt as much... The pain is more mental"
I didn't want to ask her about it..when she was ready to talk about it,she would talk..besides this was not the time.
"I keep on dreaming about it..and seeing his dead face" she glanced at me "I'm sorry..you obviously have no idea what I'm talking about"
Actually I did..the accident that had claimed her husband's life and left her with a broken leg. But that was something she had to tell me herself.
"It haunts your dreams every night?"
She nodded "every single night" she frowned thoughtfully "apart from last night tho..I wonder why?"
Hopefully because you met me.
We fell into a comfortable silence which was strange considering we had a deadly killer on our tail.

I had the timing spot on. I called Andy.
"Andy we would be at the junction in five minutes"
"Okay..can you describe the car that is tailing you?"
I checked the mirror. It was two cars back.
"Andy its pitch black..I can't see anything..okay the headlights are round..like a Mercedes kind"
"Okay that's good enough...see what you're going to do. When you get to the junction you'd see a tanker parked on the side of the road. The headlights would be on..what you do is you slow down completely, flash your headlights so I know its you.. then at a snail pace you move forward little by little then stop. I'd do the rest"
"Okay..its making sense a bit but whatever, it has to work.."
"Just do as I said..wait wait...when you move you park so I'd get in..no leave me abeg"

I speeded up a little and the car tailing me also increased speed. A jeep now separated us.
"He's not even bothered that I can spot him..this guy is truly crazy"
I could tell Olivia was getting scared.
"Hey its okay..trust me..this guy would get lost in the next two minutes."
She tried to brighten up. "God knows what I'd dream about today..I can still see the dead security vividly"
"I'm sure my experience would help you..okay here we go" I slowed down as I got to the junction.

I saw the tanker parked at the side. Facing the road with its headlights on full blast. I flashed my headlights then slowed down. The jeep was behind me and the shadow was in the car behind the jeep.
I slowed down completely and as I got closer the tanker started up and entered the road partially.
"Andy you genius...he wants to block off the road!"
I moved slowly and the tanker also entered the road more.
There was one problem however. The jeep behind me was a typical Lagos driver and he had no plan to allow the tanker enter his front. He followed me bumper to bumper and I began to sweat. I thought of speeding up suddenly but then what if the tanker didn't respond in time? The jeep would breeze through and so would the shadow and we would be back to square 1 again.

PAAAAAAAAM!!!
The driver in the jeep forgot his hand on the horn. Probably wondering what was making me move so slow.
I continued crawling and the tanker entered the road. It was now beside my car but the jeep hadn't relented he kept following me closely and blasting his horn at the same time.
"Chai..this guy just wants to Bleep us up sha!"
I inched the rest of the way forward and before the jeep could follow me the tanker rammed into it. And brushed it off the road. The driver of the tanker must have been crazy as well because he kept on accelerating and forcing the jeep to the side of the road.
I could hear the driver in the jeep shouting crazily..I could also hear shouting from people on the side of the road.
"Which kind driver be this?"
"You dey craze?!"
"Omo him don damage that range o!"

I was too shocked to breathe. I watched the rearview mirror and the driver of the tanker jumped down and ran to the car. Lo and behold it was Andy!
He yanked open the door and jumped in.
"Oba move move move abeg..them fit burn me for here!"
I revved the engine then shot into the night.
I watched the rearview until I couldn't see anything again. The road was blocked! The tanker was blocking the road and the jeep had been forced to the side walk. I could guess the fender was a write off! And the good news was that the shadow was on the other side of the tanker stuck!

"Andy..you have bursted my fucking brain! What was that...who gave you tanker for Gods sake..mehn..you're too good to be true! And you've been wasting your talents in customer care since!"
Olivia was equally impressed "you guys complete each other...together you're next to unstoppable..its soo nice to see you again" she said to Andy.
Andy was breathing like a mad man..."men that jeep is messed up...drivers and their zero patience!"
"If you were the one would you wait?" I asked him playfully..the mood was lighter now and I felt free.
"If I hear say I wait" he turned back to look but the road behind us was empty.

"Wait who give you tanker?"
"Mehn..I had to smoke Igbo with the driver for junction O...plus 3k he still collected from me"
Wonders would truly never end.
"You? Smoke? With your light brain?"
"Men I dey see double like this...you know see as I take enter that jeep..e be like say the tanker dey fly!"

He recounted to us.
When I had called him, he had sneaked out of the house then got to the junction to wait. He initially wanted to wait for me to pick him up so we could figure out a way to sort the mess together but then he had seen a tanker pull up and the driver get down with a very big blunt and a small alcohol bottle in his hands.
The idea had began to take root. He had walked up to the driver and boldly asked him "bross I hail o..abeg how many gear be this?"
The driver eyed him with blood shot eyes as he dragged in smoke. "Omo na 12 o...count the tire well this one no be 4..no be 8..count am well!"
"Bross you too much o...my guy they tell me say I no go ever fit even to move am front but me I never see anything wey get tire wey I no fit move"
"Iwo' ke' (you ke!) O ti e le' (you no even strong!)
"Bross forget that thing! Wettin person sabi he sabi"
"Oya drag this thing first" he passed the joint to him.
(At this point my liver wan cut..[Andy explained laughing] I remember for school my first and only time..they almost tied me up that day)
He had dragged carefully and tried not to cough. The driver had gotten very angry.
"Ogbeni..gimme my smoke abeg no dey waste am..commot for here jare!"
"Oya oya.." He had puffed and puffed until smoke exited from his ears and his eyes were crimson. He was worried about the time..the 5 minutes would soon be up in his brain and I would be calling.
The driver had laughed "e done do..no finish am for me..oya...I like your liver..take the key"
Andy had reached for the keys with his eyes already doubling.
"Wait!" He held it back "how much you go drop?"
"How much you...how much you want?"
"Bring 5k"
"Na 3k I get"
"Oya bring am"
They had exchanged the cash for the keys.
"Just move am forward ni o..no enter road!"

•°•°•°•°••°•••°°°
We laughed as Andy recounted the experience.
I pulled into the close.
"Andy you mean you smoked weed and you didn't pass out?"
"Why what happened the first time?"
"We were in school-
"Oba!" He said in a warning tone.
"Don't worry I'd tell you when he isn't around" I assured her and she smiled at me and I wished everything could just remain the way it was and we'd keep on driving away from the troubles and assassins and responsibilities.
Wishful thinking and I parked the car in front of the gate and we got down.
"Is this your place?"Olivia asked. I got the wheelchair down and Andy and I both helped her into it although I did most of the lifting. I was beginning to suspect Andy was feeling the effects or should I say after effects.
"As far as my parents are concerned its mine..(or my dad to be precise...I hadn't fooled my mother one bit) you'll meet them inside..they are really nice..you just go with whatever story it is I tell them"
"What will you tell them..is it not better we have a planned story now?"
"Believe me when it comes to my parents..I've learnt the best thing is just to go with the flow"

I wheeled her in and had to stiffle my laughter as Andy staggered.
"Andy just go and sleep..no even fall your hand for my parents front abeg..God bless you for coming though for me once more"
"Oba all that one na grammar...belle done tear like this..I dey go drink Mumc bitter leaf soup..and we need to talk to Olivia about the widow's initiative"
"What's the initiative?" She asked me as Andy held the door open and I wheeled her in.
"I'd explain everything from the beginning"

We entered the house and I peeped into the parlour. My parents were no where to be found! I began to panic.
"I'd be right back!" I said to Olivia as I ran up the stairs. I could hear Andy rummaging around in the kitchen, looking for something to eat and cure.
I brought out the gun as I climbed upstairs and I had never been as scared as I felt at that moment in my entire life.
I checked the first two rooms..they were empty..
I almost called out but I thought it wise to remain silent.
At the third room I knew something was up...I opened the door gently and creeped in...with the gun in my hand.
I wasn't prepared for what I saw.....

My parents lay on the bed asleep...and they were cuddling!
(Got you didn't I?........thank goodness they were safe)
I breathed a sigh of relief and I watched them for some seconds as my pulse calmed down.
This was definitely a first.
I smiled then closed the door gently.
I headed downstairs.
I owed Olivia an explanation

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by Bibi294(f): 8:57pm On Mar 19, 2017
Waiting for an update

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 10:34pm On Mar 19, 2017
Bibi294:
Waiting for an update

Here you go..hope u enjoy it
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 10:40pm On Mar 19, 2017
Downstairs, I met Olivia laughing.
"What's up?" I asked her as I rounded the stairs.
She pointed at Andy in response.

My guy was drinking soup from the pot like it was water. He put the pot down and smiled with his oil smeared lips.
"Oba Mumc sabi wella. Bleep! This soup sweet, But the hunger no gree commot o"
He continued drinking from the pot again and I had to laugh.
"Garri is the key..once you drink garri with no sugar your head would come down"
"You're right! I should turn garri and eat it with the soup"
He hurried to the kitchen with the pot in his hands.
Olivia was cracking up.
"I think he's going to make EBA o"
"Na him sabi"
I wheeled her into the parlour.
The a/c was still switched on.
"What would you like to drink?"
She looked around "I thought this wasn't your house?"
"Its mine for the weekend. And I have a fully loaded fridge"
She smiled. "This still feels like a movie..if you have any energy drink that would be very nice"
I got one from the fridge.
I checked Andy in the kitchen.
He was boiling water on the gas cooker.
I switched it off.
He looked at me accusingly with red eyes. He was chewing a piece of chicken and I saw the pot he still held was empty.
"What are you boiling water for? You've licked the soup finish na!"
He burst out laughing "Omo..wetting Mumc go talk?"
I poured garri in a plate, opened the fridge and finished a tin of milk in it.
"You got high to save her sons life..I'm not sure she would mind the soup is finished."
I set the plate in his front. "Oya mix cold water and drink it..I want to brief Olivia about the widows initiative...we would be in the parlour"
"I'd be with you shortly" he hadn't taken his eyes of the plate.

I handed Olivia the can drink and switched on the TV but muted it. The colours danced in the background and gave the parlour a homely feel.
She sipped from her drink and seemed relaxed.
"So Mr Rex. What have you gotten me into?"
I paced round the parlour looking at the paintings for a while. (Ariyo was an Art freak) and different paintings hung on the walls.

Finally I sat down on the chair closest to her.
"I used to be engaged to this woman...and my friend ( I pointed towards the kitchen) used to be married to her sister. We never knew they were siblings. Everything started three weeks ago..."
Andy came into the parlour.
"How could you start without me?"
"Jesus Andy..why's your plate steaming?"
He looked down and shrugged. He sat down and I saw his plate wasn't garri anymore at least not the drinkable type.
He must have mixed it with the water he had been boiling.
I couldn't even laugh.
I ignored him and faced Olivia.
"Everything started three weeks ago Or four weeks to be precise, my fiance had previously introduced me to a man who she said was a father figure in her life..his name is Amunike, chief Amunike but we call him chief"
"Wait...so sorry to interrupt but this Amunike he's the owner of one alcohol..Amu something right"
"Yea ammunition how did you know?"
"My husband practically worshiped the man.. Ever since he interviewed him for the business section on his paper he could hardly keep quiet about the man"
"Hmmm..well that man is pure evil..he doesn't just make his money from the rum business or any other legal business he has. He is involved in arms dealing, drug dealing and much worse human trafficking"
She was silent as she took it all in.
"Don't forget the human trafficking too" Andy added with his mouth full.
I shook my head "Andy just focus on your milky EBA and leave the talking to me biko"
He frowned at me and continued his food.
"So..what happened three to four weeks ago?" Olivia asked stifling a laugh.

My phone vibrated before I could reply her. I checked it and saw it was a message notification.
I read the message quickly but was determined not to give anything away and not to show how the message had shook me.

"Almost four weeks ago..my fiancé broke off the engagement and took off..said she was in love with someone else...as you would expect I took it badly and turned to alcohol.. ammunition...its ironic that the very same person who is the cause of my woes was made richer because I can't count how many bottles have been cancelled by Andy and I"
"Even last night..you should have seen us" Andy chipped in.
"Anyway the chief called me and I went to see him..I woke up with a splitting headache and I couldn't remember what had happened the previous night...I hadn't been in that his house and I snooped around"
She was listening vividly and when she took a long pull from her canned drink I glanced at my phone again and read the message hurriedly..how on earth did he get my number?
"You know what curiosity did to the cat...well what happened next?" She prodded.
"I saw some documents and bank transactions and bonds approximately 250 million naira.."
Her eyes widened in disbelief.
"Just lying around?"
"I tell you..just lying around..I'm sure you can guess what happened next"
She didn't waste time "you took it didn't you"
"Exactly and that was the moment all my trouble started"
"So lemme guess..the chief wants his money back?"
"I wish it was that simple..mixed with the documents was a particular paper which I took for just random numbers but it actually contained coordinates"
"Hmmm..this is sounding like some spy stuff" she put her drink on the cup holder on the chair.
"The coordinates contained what?"

I stood up and began pacing "I was made to believe the numbers were coordinates of terrorists location that the chief dealt arms with and I went through some horrible times trying to get it back"
"Get it back?"
"Oh yes..the papers were stolen from me...I didn't even know when, I just checked and it was gone...anyway not until yesterday..after I met you I found out it wasn't connected to any terrorist at all"
I could tell she was caught up. "So..what where the coordinates for?"

I sat down again..I knew I cut a restless figure but the message kept messing with my head.
"First you need to understand something"
"Okay I'm listening"
"Be right back..I need round two" Andy got up and hurried out.
"My fiance and Andy's wife were sisters and when they were little their dad was killed(although hw was still alive and i had a note in my pocket to prove it)and growing up was very rough..incidentally their dad and this same chief had been close friends and business partners..when their dad was killed the Chief manipulated his friends wife, their mother and bought the major shares of the business and the family of three ended up on the street and had a very horrible and poverty stricken childhood."
She gasped "you mean he didn't look after them? What about the money he bought the shares with?how did they spend it?"
"Everyone who can answer that question is now dead"
Her eyes grew wider which I thought was impossible.
"You mean..the sisters. They're..."
I nodded "yes they are. 72 hours now...things were not always bad however and the chief still came through for them and took care of them from their teenage years and sponsored them to school and also settled their mother..through an organization run by his wife known as the widows initiative"
"The widows initiative?"
"Yes..basically it is aimed at taking care of widows who have no source of help and nowhere to turn and have children but no suitable capital to take care of them"
"Wow that's very noble..very caring and thoughtful"
"Yes it was meant to be..but along the way the chief saw it as an opportunity to traffic vulnerable and defenseless widows with their children and over the years he has successfully trafficked countless widows out of the country to God knows where"
She was in shock. The pain on her face was so real.
"Oh my God..how can that even be possible? How can someone get away with something like that? How can someone be soo heartless?"
I shook my head.
"Those are questions only God can answer"
She was silent for minutes trying to digest the information which was hard to swallow.
I was also quiet but my mind was back on the message.

"So what were the coordinates really about?"
"From what I found out they contain the location where these widows are held prior to them being shipped out of the country"
"And you have the location..we have to do something! I have contacts from my late husbands newspaper we send it to them"
I saw the perfect opening for the proposal I was gearing to make. She had just said 'late husband' and told me she was a widow.
"Late husband? Your husband is dead?"
"Yes..a week ago yesterday..it was a car accident" she seemed to lose steam and forget about the initiative for a minute. "Look at me..a widow at 26..married for just a year" she stared into space again and I feared the depression would come again and it would be extremely insensitive for me to say..'so I was thinking if you'd agree to use your widow status as a bait for us to take down the initiative'
As a matter of fact I was getting against the idea...I had no right to expose her to that kind of danger and frankly speaking I didn't want to.

The silence stretched for seconds then she asked "why not send the information to the papers? Once it hits front page other newspapers pick it up..before night the president would have gotten enough phone calls that the Governor himself would supervise the team that would Burst each location"
"That's what I thought too but a federal agent had this same information and his superiors told him to stand down...I feel if we give this information to the papers, before it hits the stands the locations would be emptied! And the widows lost forever!"
"So what do we do?"
This was a good opportunity but I was beginning to have second thoughts.

Andy barged in the parlour with a laptop in his arms and a modem connected to it.
"Things are falling in place now..i was browsing on the widows initiative and they have an online forum for registration. That is how the widows are selected..you register then you're given a serial number its a first come first serve method" he brought the laptop and set it on the table in front of Gwen and I.
"Where did you see laptop and modem?" I asked him surprised. We hadn't taken any such thing from his house considering we had left in a hurry chasing the female cleaner at the time.
"Mehn..it seems Ariyo is one big sick Bleep! You need to see the history on the browser..him and Gwen must really be into different weird stuffs"
"Who is Ariyo?" Olivia asked.
"Our boss" I replied
I looked at Andy trying to get his attention and tell him to stop.
He was apparently still in the clouds because he continued without looking in my direction.
"All we need to do is register Olivia to the initiative and we wait"
"Register me to what?" She asked looking at Andy then at me.
"Andy" I said in a warning tone
"You mean you haven't told her?" He asked incredulously.
"No..genius I haven't"
I looked at her but I knew she didn't need an explanation. She knew very well what Andy meant.
"You want to register me to this initiative...the same initiative that is responsible for trafficking hundreds or thousands of widows out of the Country for God knows what..."
She looked at me and I couldn't read her expression. I was getting uncomfortable.
"We don't plan for you to get trafficked..its just a way for us to get in and we'll know the next step from there" Andy assured her.
"Besides our first plan is to check out each location one after the other..this was just plan B..but I understand its foolishness to risk you in such a way"
"I didn't say I wouldn't do it"
I was suprised "Are you serious..this is really dangerous, for one we don't how the widows get kidnapped"
"Oba what the Bleep! Do you want Mona and Fome's death to be in vain?"

"Its okay you don't need to fight..." She looked at me "Mona and Fome..those were their names?"
I nodded.
"Okay I'm in..how do we do this"

The website had the usual ramblings about the objective and goals. With pictures of various widows smiling and singing their praises for the initiative and how it had turned their life around and made things easier for them.
We logged into the 'create account' portal.
Filling up form after form and answering several questions. I got to find out a lot about Olivia.
She was an only child and her mother was alive but her dad was late.
"Bingo..it all fits perfectly..let's see the number you would be given" Andy said as he hit the register button.
I wondered if it was the weed that was making him be so insensitive. How could you say 'bingo' when you learnt that someone's dad had passed on.
But then I wondered if it was my feelings that was making me feel so sensitive.
I let the matter pass. Olivia didn't seem to mind..she even seemed to be looking forward to it.
"If this is what it takes to save all those women and children so be it"

'Congratulations. Registration complete.
Your number is 983.'

"This is not good..not good at all...nine hundred and eighty three!"
Andy looked at me then buried his head in his hands.
"Just imagine the traffic of women waiting to be trafficked out of the country" I shook my head in dismay at the irony but then I had an idea.
"Andy..remember Samuel from school?"
"Samuel....samuel..yes short Sam! How can I forget?"
"What was he good at?"
"He was good at annoying boys and always calling the lecturer and begging for assignments.." He looked at Olivia "can you imagine that..this dude would call our lecturer and be like..'sir we have a free period why don't you come and take us statistics'"
"Andy..you're missing my point..remember he used to hack into the school website and change results"
"Yea...thats true..that guy was good at that and they never caught him"
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" I asked him
He looked at me for some seconds as if he was deep in thought. "I think so brain..." He burst out laughing
I shook my head "just when I thought the thing has left your head alone.." but I smiled "we used to watch that thing in our hostel all the time"
Olivia smiled but was eager to get back to the topic at hand.
"So this Samuel..what's the plan?"
"I'd call him..I should be able to persuade him to help us hack and do some rearranging...let's say to put you on number..." I scrolled up the laptop
The waiting list started from 39.
1-38 were probably locked up somewhere if not smuggled out already. "Number 40 should be okay"
She nodded in agreement.
"I want you to know we're in this together..we'll be with you every step of the way"
She smiled at me.
"Rex...last week I survived something that was Impossible to survive with next to nothing.." she pointed at the cast her leg was in.
"When you consider the wreckage I walked away from..believe me this is nothing..I've been wondering why my life was spared...for what purpose...it couldn't just be luck."
She favored me with another smile again "Rex I've just found that purpose...please call your friend right now...women are going through unspeakable things as we speak and whatever role I can play to help them I am prepared"
My respect for her increased and I brought out my phone to search for Samuels number.
I had forgotten about the message I had been reading before and once I swiped my phone it opened.

So just maybe...maybe.. I didn't over estimate you after all. I have a bleeding shoulder to show for it..nice one with the tanker also. The game just intensified.
I wouldn't tell you what I'm going to do I can only advice you to watch out. Cos when next I would strike I promise you that you all will die.

"Empty threats...next time you'll strike I would shoot you in the face...bastard!" It was easy to be brave when you were far away from the assassin after your life.
I deleted the message then located Samuel's number. We still kept in touch and I was glad for that.
Andy must have been satisfied with Olivia's enthusiasm and the way things were progressing because he was soon asleep on the sofa snoring loudly.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 1:23pm On Mar 21, 2017
Dedicated to forzarush happy birthday..long life and prosperity and also wishing you a very safe pregnancy and safe delivery(tho I understand its still months away) God bless your family ma'am

°•°•°•°••°•°•°•°•
Samuel didn't pick the call.
I called him 3 times with no reply. I guessed he would be asleep. It was almost midnight
"Any luck?"
"I think he'd be asleep, he didn't pick up"
She nodded.
Andy was fast asleep and I was beginning to think of sleep also.
"We should sleep too, tomorrow would be very hectic for us..I'd call him in the morning"
The words just left my mouth when my phone rang. It was Samuel.
"Obazino...how you dey"
"S.s how far?" (S.s for short Sam)
"We thank God o..this one wey you remember me today wetting dey sup?"
"Sammy I go need a very big favour from you abeg"
"Of course, na favour go make you call me"
"Stop that..you have my number too now..or must it be me that would call?"
"Which favour be that? By the way how Fome?" (Sam was the guy I was with when I first met Fome)
"She dey..look I need your help can we meet up tomorrow?"
He was silent thinking.
"Lemme know what this help is first before I'd know if I would be around"
"I need you to hack into one website for me and change something"
"Oba you know I don't do that again?"
"S.s this thing is not for fun..I swear its between life and death!"
"The word on the street is that you're the angel of death itself"
"Which street...you office dog mentioning street..look..thank God tomorrow is Saturday expect me in your house before 1pm"
"Oba..you have started again..what exactly do you want me to hack..I don't do illegal things anymore"
"Don't worry..its something small no big deal...see you tomorrow"
I knew I had bamboozled my way and I decided to placate him by hailing him before I ended the call.
"S.s. the shortest and sexiest..the smartest And smoothest..the shortest but strongest! I hail you bross! See you tomorrow!"
He was laughing as I cut the call.
Olivia was smiling "you're something else I tell you..so he's open to the idea?"
"Don't worry he would be, now lemme show you to your room so we could rest well"
I made no attempt to move and we still sat staring at each other. I hadn't meant to say 'we' and I thought it sounded like I planned to climb into bed with her.
The silence was getting awkward I had to say something.
"So how do we do your medications.. I mean your injections?"
She smiled as if she knew what I had been thinking "well I know the painkillers I was being given..I always make it my business to know something like that and we could get it from any pharmacy and you could give them to me"
My God..was she flirting with me?
Only she and God knows how my expression had been because she burst out laughing "I'm sure you're scared of needles..even me after what I had seen today I wish I didn't have to take another one in my life."
I totally agreed with her.
"We can visit a private hospital later in the day for a checkup"
"That would be nice."

I wheeled her to the room downstairs.
Thankfully it had been cleaned up. I didn't remember Andy or myself cleaning it up. We had only made the gun suppressor in here and left. Maybe my mother or maybe Andy before he left to come to our rescue ..whichever one I was glad it was neat and dust free.

I had forgotten about the briefcase until she handed it to me.
"This case is filled with dollars..what's the story?"
I switched on the a/c in the room then took the brief case.
"Remember the assassin..Tosin? Well this money was meant to cancel the hit that was on my head"
"So how did you take it? The problem would have been solved if he had the money"
"As at the time yes..but I have this bad luck that has been following me and I snatched the case from someone at the hospital...although it provided some much needed clarity I was unfortunate to have taken the money meant to call of the hit man off my back and now he's taken it personal no amount of money can stop him now...I fear"
She looked at me and I knew I needed to get out of the room. My thoughts were doing summersaults in illegal territory.
"With me on your side your luck is bound to change..trust me"
"Amen to that" (it seems I said the 'amen' to remind myself that there was God o)
I pulled the curtain
"Lemme allow you get some rest..we'd see in the morning"
I headed towards the door but she stopped me.
"Rex..."
I turned.
"I left my bag and all my clothes at the hospital..I would have changed into somethng different..I wouldnt want to sleep in this same clothe I've had on since morning"
"I'd be right back"
The wadrope in one of the rooms was fully loaded with Gwens clothe obviously paid for by Ariyo..the sheer volume of the clothes could fit into a small shop.
Clothes wouldn't be a problem for Olivia...not on my watch.
I rummaged the wardrobe for a suitable night wear. Gowns gowns and more gowns..all form fitting and some very low cut. I imagined a particular one on her as I held it. It would be smashing.
I made up my mind to bring her here in the morning to select any one of her choice.
I continued searching for a suitable night gown. I saw one finally but I shook my head. This kind of nightie was worn when a wife wanted to drive her husband crazy..it was almost transparent for one. Apart from the double linings that covered the boobs and the crotch part.
I imagined Gwen with her model body in this and I shook my head in amusement. Ariyo would just kill himself very soon..he should continue.
I turned the closet inside out but I didn't find anything else apart from a very big shirt that I guessed would come to her knees when she wore it. That might be good enough. However I carried the two of them downstairs
"You make your choice..the one that would be comfortable"
"Thank you so much" she raised her eyebrow when she checked out the night dress and I smiled innocently.
"I think this shirt would have to do...but this night gown..." She looked at it as if considering and I knew it was wise to leave now before my little major began to have other ideas. Because even with the leg cast on she still looked 100% sexy.
"Okay Olivia..have a good night rest. We'd kick off tomorrow" I looked at the wall clock. "Or later in the day..its already past 12"
"Rex" she stopped me in my tracks again and I don't know if it was just me, but her eyes said she knew why I was running.
"Help me to get this gown off..my leg cast makes it hard to pull it over my head..and one of the nurses usually helped me back at the hospital"
I swallowed, Oh boy....
"Okay..."

I helped her slide the gown down her shoulders then all the way down. It took all my willpower not to stare but I still failed woefully...her skin was next to flawless it glowed and I had this insane urge to kiss the skin from her shoulders as the gown slid down.
I continued easing the gown off, inch by painful inch..
At the main region now and I wondered what lay beneath...I was glad(or disappointed?) To see she had a bra on. I averted my gaze and focused on getting the gown down completely but I was painstakingly slow..and it felt like seduction although who was getting seduced I couldn't say because I noticed the rise and fall of her breast had increased. I glanced up for a nano second and her eyes were dark and unreadable.

She shifted in her seat so I could get the gown down her hips and I noticed she had matching underwear on..the type of lace Victoria tried to keep a secret if you know what I mean.

Lust meets love I guess that was my case and I ogled her smooth thighs as I slid the gown down.
But then I got to the cast. And It shattered like glass. The cast was like a slap in the face and I remembered what it stood for...she had just lost her husband barely a week ago and here I was ravishing her body(delicious body) with my eyes and mind.

My movements were stiff and mechanical as I got her out of the gown.
She was able to wear the shirt herself and I only helped her to get to her feet partially so the shirt could slide down to her knees.

I looked at her and her eyes were clear now. Maybe the cast hadn't affected just me. (Because it sure as hell 'casted' the mood)
"Good night Rex"
I fixed a slow country song on the stereo a Don Williams album, and I bade her good night as he was crooning about some broken hearts that never mend.

•°•°•°•°••°•°•°•
The next morning I was up earlier than usual. Andy had passed the night in the parlour and I felt bad for not waking him up to move to the room but my thoughts had been jumbled the previous night.
It was just 6am and I let him sleep as I moved around with a cup of coffee in my hand, thinking of my parents and how I would explain Olivia's presence to them.

My dad was the first one down which was a first.
"Good morning dad"
"Morning my son...how was your night?"
I had expected questions from him about why I hadn't come home the night before, at least before they went to bed but he was obviously in a good mood.
"My night was fine dad..how was yours?"
"Splendid...I need to fix myself with a cup just like that in your hand"
He headed to the fridge humming and I was surprised. He must have woken up on the right side of the bed. Then I remembered I had seen them cuddling last night. Which was the first sign of affection I had seen from both of them ever! Something was definitely up..because when I was growing up I had often wondered how they got together to produce four children they never showed the smallest sign of intimacy..they never even held hands. Maybe only during the grace.

I was determined to make use of the good mood.
"Dad..." I followed him to the kitchen were he was still whistling happily.
"I have a lady friend in the house..she's just recovering from an accident and she's upstairs right now..please please and please when you meet her don't make her feel uncomfortable, I happen to care for her and she's my very good friend"
"Very good friend abi? So that was the work you went for yesterday?" He mixed milk in his cup and studied me. "What can I say..you're a grown man and its your house...but play safe" he winked at me then went to the dispenser to get hot water.
I shook my head..no need to correct him because last night I had harboured thoughts that were far from safe.

We sat in the kitchen drinking coffee and very soon Andy joined us. He kept on holding his head.
"Morning pops" he greeted my dad then opened the fridge. "I'm still so hungry"
"Andy how na...so your friend tells me he brought a friend home last night"
He looked at me "yea..Olivia..I thought that was a dream"
"So you know her?"
"Yes sir..she works with us...she had an accident and she's on leave from work"
Sometimes it was like Andy's brain and mine were connected.
My dad was satisfied with this and we spent almost an hour discussing football. We drank about two cups each apart from Andy who drank cereal with his. (The effects were still lingering this morning)

My mum came down before 7 am and Andy and I briefed her of Olivia's presence. My mum was very emotional and once she heard Olivia had survived a motor accident she went into mother hen mode. I didn't even mention her husband had died..that wasn't necessary.
She stood at the gas cooker fixing breakfast and I was beside her. My dad and Andy were few steps away sitted at the table.
"The poor thing...where is she now..resting? Okay good..how is the leg? Hope she's okay?"
My dad laughed over something Andy had said and she cautioned him.
"Al..lower your voice we have a guest that is sleeping Haba!".
He raised his hands and smiled apologetically.
"You need to tell me this your secret o mama...you've finally tamed the beast!" I whispered and she smiled.
She opened the pot expecting to see the remaining soup but it was empty. She frowned but didn't say anything.
"Watch the plantain...don't let it burn o..lemme go and check on your friend" she left the kitchen for the guest room and I was tasked with frying the remaining plantain.

'Check your friend' took up to 30 minutes and I had fried all the plantain and even fried the eggs before she came back. She pushed Olivia to the kitchen and she had such a big smile on her face I knew she liked her. She had changed Olivia's gown to one of the few unslutty ones from upstairs which confirmed my suspicion that it was my mom who had gone round the house and cleaned it up.
"Good morning sir" Olivia greeted my dad as my mum wheeled her to the table.
"Morning angel...so nice to meet you..how's your leg?" My dad was apparently on his good behavior too and he smiled genuinely at her. It seems she had won them over without even trying.

We had breakfast like a very big family. The table was lively and my dad and Andy kept on trading tales and jokes. My mum had shared the extra eggs I fried for her and my dad into our plates.
"I'm watching your dads cholesterol level..even me too" I knew my dad loved anything protein. Eggs, meat, fish but he didn't complain but agreed heartily. He settled on tea with his plantain.

Olivia and I had some eye contact and I knew she was remembering last night or early in the morning. I winked at her to prevent any awkwardness and she smiled.
I ran into my mothers stare and I could see the smile in her eyes and read her expression clearly. There was still hope for her boy!

She wheeled Olivia to the parlour and I could hear them talk and laugh. Andy and I cleared the dishes while my dad wondered to the bar ready to start of with some ammunition probably.
"How far with Samuel?"
"We'd go to his house by noon"
"How far your parents?"
"I'd think of something to tell them"
"Okay..the three of us would go then"
I nodded but then I remembered the message the shadow had sent to me.
"Bro..I think you should stay with them...I'd leave the gun with you..just to be safe"
He nodded.."no problem..since they'd be leaving tomorrow its best to make sure they're safe"
"Thanks bro"

We all relaxed in the parlour with my dad merry from the meal and the ammunition telling us stories of his ram 'Rambo' and all his conquests.

By 11:15am I announced "Olivia has an appointment with the doctor by 12 we'll need to get prepared"
My dad perked up. "I need some fresh air..I'd go with you"
I looked at Andy...this wasn't good..this was bad news..
Trust my friend to come through once more. "Sir..I thought we were going to watch Chelsea's match today?"
"But its later in the day now"
"Yes but....we could watch arsenal first...nothing pleases Chelsea fans more than seeing arsenal lose"
My dad burst out laughing..."that's true..that's true...I think I'd relax with this bottle and enjoy the game"
I breathed a sigh of relief then joked about arsenal shocking them and we all laughed.
My mum came from the kitchen.."what would be for lunch? I don't know the ghost that finished that pot of soup"
"Martha breakfast hasn't even digested you're thinking of lunch. Come and sit down biko." He pulled her to the chair and they giggled like teenagers.
Perfect time to escape
"That's it...I'm out of here...Olivia let's go please..before they spoil us"
"Hope you'd be back in time?" My mum called after me.
"Yes we would"
Andy escorted me to the car.
"I'd bolt the gate. If anything turns up..you call me"
"Sure thing..see you later"
"Take care Andy" Olivia waved him and I sped off.

°•°•°•°•••°•°•°°°
Samuel lived at the other end of Lagos. Towards badagry but the good news was there was no traffic. The BMW ate up the distance like a snack and very soon I was at Agbara already.
I called him
"S.s hope you dey house...I'm on my way"
"You just dey carry your wahala dey come sha...I dey house, I dey..bring something come o"
"Taaar! Are you my child...you don't know I'm your guest" .
He laughed and cut the call.
Olivia smiled "The way you and your friends relate...I admire that.. like you have every right to demand something from them and they always answer you...he will come through right?"
"He would..don't worry..That's what friends are for...how about you...any close friends?"
"Pfffft...friends? More like acquaintances"
"Really?Why is that..you just have bad luck picking good friends or what?"
"The only person I considered my close friend turned out to be fucking my husband behind my back..imagine that!"
I couldn't believe what I was hearing...what manner of man would cheat on this woman?
"You mean he was cheating on you?"
"Yes...as a matter of fact we were going for marriage counselling when a trailer ran us over"
I was quiet.."I'm sorry for that"
"For him cheating..or for the accident?"
"For all of it"
She smiled "you're really sweet you know that?"
No I didn't, but I kept quiet. I kept on replaying last night...my thoughts hadn't been sweet then and I had a feeling she knew.
The car was silent the rest of the way as we were lost in our thoughts.
Finally I entered Samuels estate. I hadn't been here since his baby's dedication about three years ago. I located his house easily and I called him as I parked in front of his house.
"Come in" he said the moment he picked "you know the gate is never locked"
"Nice try...come and chain your dogs first abeg"
"They don't bite na"
"Oga answer me abeg"
He laughed "I'm coming"

Short Samuel had really changed from the book loving student to a more social man. He opened his gate then smiled with open arms.
I lifted him easily till he kicked the air.
"Obazino!! Baddest man!! Where Fome na?" He saw Olivia behind me then whistled "Nna forget Fome...put me down and introduce me to this person"
I winced when he said that, and my conscience was pricking me...had I truly forgotten Fome so soon?
I introduced them and he smiled and kissed her knuckles.
He nudged me out of the way "shift my friend!" He took control of the chair and wheeled her in.
"Hope you didn't hurt yourself by tripping for this dog" I heard him ask her as he wheeled her inside.
I shook my head but I smiled. I went to the car and retrieved the laptop and modem.
Samuel was a joker but he was a genius with computers and once he hacked into the website and altered the number, the real work would begin..

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 10:13am On Mar 22, 2017
We got in his house.
His parlour was very spacious and well furnished. His 3 year old son was rolling on the floor watching a cartoon program. "Junior get up..greet daddy's guest"
The boy paid no attention and Short Sam wheeled Olivia fully into the parlour.
"Don't mind the young lad..he's a terrorist like his ol' man" his voice dripped pride and for a moment I wished I had a child of my own. Boy or girl just a child I knew came from my loins. This was a first, because apart from thinking of kids vaguely like something I would like in the 'future' I never really thought deeply about it. But now the yearning was real and I knew who I would like to mother my children.
"You see this man..that's how he has always been..you'd be talking to him and he would just space out" S.s voice brought me back and I smiled sheepishly.
"Lemme get you something to drink"
"Just water for me" I told him.
"Who was asking you..this lady is my guest here"
"I'm fine please..at least for now" Olivia laughed.
"S.s where your wife na?"
"Men na wedding things o..me I have no intention of going anywhere..not after the craziness of work Monday to Friday..so its just me and my boy"
Junior got up suddenly and went to Olivia who began to make cooing noises at him.
"Shee my theeetch"
He pointed at his teeth where the first two were missing.
"Aaah..did you keep the tooth under your pillow?"
"Nna all those western format eh..the tooth land for dustbin immediately"
We all laughed.
"S.s....abeg this no be social call..I really need your help"
He looked at me. "Ehen what was it you were saying on the phone"
"There's this website" I powered on the laptop. "Its called the widows initiative... I need you to hack into it"
"What for..is there money involved?"
"No we're not stealing any money..I told you its nothing illegal as that"
"Oga hacking is very illegal o..punishable offense"
"Forget that thing.. I just need you to move up the account we created out of the relegation zone to the top of the table..if you understand me"
"That's all?"
"That's all...shikena!"
"So your problem is patience then?"
"Bro believe me..we can't afford to wait..time has been lost already and lives are at stake"
"Hmm..." He looked at Olivia "whatever you says goes...I won't listen to this rascal.. Are you down with this..you want me to do this?"
"Yes please..I can't even begin to tell you the importance of that small alteration"
He looked at me "okay..lemme see the website"
I did a mental fist pump. I plugged in the modem then loaded the website.
"Junior go and play inside" his boy hurried inside.
"Why? it wouldn't affect him now" I asked
"Anything that is illegal I don't like him around me at all"
"Tooor...anyway.. This is the website..the widows initiative"
He studied the website.."this looks like a secured site...so what is the alteration you want?"
"I want this our account...here it is number 983..to be moved up to..." I scrolled up.
"Olivia..this thing moves quicker than we thought they are at 47 already last night it was 39."
"I don't understand" short Sam said as he studied the screen. "
"Its a first come first serve basis and we are number 938..we'd like you to bump us up to number 50"
"Okay..okay..I can do that..lemme get my system"
"Can't you use this one?"
"Spoken like a real Jew..believe me the cyber police would knock on your door one day if I dared use your your system..I have softwares here to help scramble my IP address not to talk of some hacking softwares like hydra and co."
"Okay okay..just do your thing" I said as he left the parlour.
The police even if they tracked this system would only burst Ariyo and Gwen while they surfed their fetish porn sites. I laughed at the imagination.

"So he was your school mate?" Olivia asked me.
"Yes, we were even room mates during my 3 and 400 level"
Samuel returned with a very powerful looking laptop.
"Core i7..16gig..I don't even like remembering how much it costs me..but it works like a dream"
"I thought you said your hacking days were behind you?"
"Men..once a hacker..."
The system powered up in seconds then he copied the URL from the other laptop. He stretched and cracked his knuckles before he hit enter.
"Are you sure you don't need anything? Because once I start..its hard to get up" he asked Olivia.
"Mr man do your magic...I know where your fridge is after all" I replied him.
He smiled..."Obazino.... you no fit ever change"
He hit enter.
"First I need to know the source code of the webpage" he hit some buttons. "Just as I suspected..the scripting language is python" he looked at me "Oba..na work be this one o"
"What does it mean? Python? Na snake?"
"Idiot..it means its not an open source platform if not I would have gotten a copy and changed the whole code"
I didn't understand Jack...I just leaned back and let him work.
"Oba..I don't rush my work..hacking is not something you rush..I need a good reconnaissance about my target..that's how I was successful in school back then, I took my precious time"
"Time is a luxury we don't have..lives are at stake here"

He frowned then cracked his neck. "I need to check the vulnerability of the website...there's a software I use..acunetix it was developed for web developers to test sites they're building but trust hackers na..we done turn am around use am to dey identify vulnerable sites"
He ran the program on his system and was crossing it with the widows initiative site. I was behind him watching eagerly. It felt like magic.
"Oba stop breathing down my neck abeg..you're like my bull mastif"
"So you have a bull mastif and you were telling me it won't bite? There's God o" but I gave him space.
He worked for some seconds "Hmmm..this site is as tight as a virgins...." He looked at Olivia "pardon my language ma'am"
"Don't mind me carry on"
"So you can't hack it?" I was beginning to panic.
"Please don't insult me..there's nothing on this earth that's unhackable" he looked at Olivia "don't mind this man..he doesn't believe"
He typed some foreign looking code. "I'm preparing its medicine now...an injection!"
Olivia and I both winced..the word injection always brought unpleasant memories.
Short Sam continued..he was in his element and he fired on "I would attack the website with an SQL injection(pronounced sequel) That would enable me capture information stored in the database"

This took some time, like half an hour and I moved around his house and played with his little boy who was rolling around in one of the rooms.
I was in the process of throwing the boy and catching him, when I heard Short Sam shout "Bingo!"
I ran to the parlour with the boy still on my arms.
"I've found a back door!" Hr exclaimed "or should I say I've bursted a wall to use as the back door!" He laughed at his joke and Olivia and I looked at each other not getting the joke.
" I love this python language!" He exclaimed still high on energy and whatever he had accomplished.
The screen didn't look comprehensible to me. Just small boxes covering up the screen with codes and strange numbers in them.
"Now..I'd install my friend in one corner..a simple cookie catcher code...this code would track the ID password of a login all the way to the real administration of the site"

After some minutes and he was sweating profusely, he looked up and grinned "done!, the thief is hiding..just waiting to strike!"
"S.s speak English..is it done?"
"This was fun, I need to do this more..the catcher code is in, once an admin logs in, I would have his ID and would be able to alter anything on the website."
"Roger that..boss! You're too good...so what do we do now..we wait?"
"Yes for the admin..you said number 50 is what you want right?"
"Just put it two numbers after the waiting number on the list..then you bump the number down to 983..they would thank us later"
"Okay...I would need to clean up any mess I leave incase the admin is a neat freak so he doesn't know they've been hacked" he looked at me and frowned.
"What is all this really about Oba.."he looked at Olivia "I understand you're a widow?"
She nodded.
"Short Sam..what you don't know can't kill you..but just know that you have hopefully saved hundreds of widows from being smuggled out...I really appreciate it bruv"
He looked like he couldn't comprehend what I had just told him. Smuggling? But he nodded.
"Me must thank you both...you've reignited my passion in hacking...in fact we need to celebrate"
He hurried to his kitchen and returned with a bottle of wine and 3 glasses.

30 minutes later he escorted Olivia and I to the car.
"So once its done..I would let you know"
"Thanks bro..take care..Junior! Be a good boy"

°•°•°•°•°•°••°
We drove away. "Wow..that guy is really good"
"He's a genius!"
She smiled at me "so where to pilot?" Her smile was breathtaking and I fell from 30 stories.
Damn! Damn! Damn!
I managed to keep my eyes level and smiled back "we should go to a private hospital for your checkup"
She nodded "thank you"
I sped away and my phone rang. I could see road safety so I connected it to the car's bluetooth.
"Andy what's up?"
"Oba..everything is rosy..how the thing go?"
"Short Sam did it..he would round it up when next an admin logs in"
"Sweet..so now we just wait?"
"No...tonight we check out the first coordinates..if we see widows..we break them out"
"Sweet...now you're talking...I better sharpen my dagger!"

3 Likes

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 10:23am On Mar 23, 2017
Fresh outta jail angry

3 Likes

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 10:29am On Mar 23, 2017
We got in his house.
His parlour was very spacious and well furnished. His 3 year old son was rolling on the floor watching a cartoon program. "Junior get up..greet daddy's guest"
The boy paid no attention and Short Sam wheeled Olivia fully into the parlour.
"Don't mind the young lad..he's a terrorist like his ol' man" his voice dripped pride and for a moment I wished I had a child of my own. Boy or girl just a child I knew came from my loins. This was a first because apart from thinking of kids vaguely like something I would like in the 'future' I never really thought deeply about it. But now the yearning was real and I knew who I would like to mother my children.
"You see this man..that's how he has always been..you'd be talking to him and he would just space out" S.s voice brought me back and I smiled sheepishly.
"Lemme get you something to drink"
"Just water for me" I told him.
"Who was asking you..this lady is my guest here"
"I'm fine please..at least for now" Olivia laughed.
"S.s where your wife na?"
"Men na wedding things o..me I have no intention of going anywhere..not after the craziness of work Monday to Friday..so its just me and my boy"
Junior got up suddenly and went to Olivia who began to make cooing noises at him.
"Shee my theeetch"
He pointed at his teeth where the first two were missing.
"Aaah..did you keep the tooth under your pillow?"
"Nna all those western format eh..no be for this house o..the tooth land for dustbin immediately"
We all laughed.
"S.s....abeg this no be social call..I really need your help"
He looked at me. "Ehen what was it you were saying on the phone"
"There's this website" I powered on the laptop. "Its called the widows initiative... I need you to hack into it"
"What for..is there money involved?"
"No we're not stealing any money..I told you its nothing illegal as that"
"Oga hacking is very illegal o..punishable offense"
"Forget that thing..I just need you to move up the account we created out of the relegation zone to the top of the table..if you understand me"
"That's all?"
"That's all...shikena!"
"So your problem is patience then?"
"Bro believe me..we can't afford to wait..time has been lost already and lives are at stake"
"Hmm..." He looked at Olivia "whatever you says goes...I won't listen to this rascal.. Are you down with this..you want me to do this?"
"Yes please..I can't even begin to tell you the importance of that small alteration"
He looked at me "okay..lemme see the website"
I did a mental fist pump. I plugged in the modem then loaded the website.
"Junior go and play inside" his boy hurried inside.
"Why it wouldn't affect him now" I asked
"Anything that is illegal I don't like him around me at all"
"Tooor...anyway.. This is the website..the widows initiative"
He studied the website.."this looks like a secured site...so what is the alteration you want?"
"I want this our account...here it is number 983..to be moved up to..." I scrolled up.
"Olivia..this thing moves quicker than we thought they are at 47 already last night it was 39."
"I don't understand" short Sam said as he studied the screen. "
Its a first come first serve basis and we are number 938..we'd like you to bump us up to number 50"
"Okay..okay..I can do that..lemme get my system"
"Can't you use this one?"
"Spoken like a real Jew..believe me the cyber police would knock on your door one day if I dared use your your system..I have softwares here to help scramble my IP address not to talk of some hacking softwares like (i no mention am again)and co."
"Okay okay..just do your thing" I said as he left the parlour.
The police if they tracked this system would only burst Ariyo and Gwen while they surfed their fetish porn sites. I laughed at the imagination.

"So he was your school mate?" Olivia asked me.
"Yes we were room mates my 3 and 400 level"
Samuel returned with a very powerful looking laptop.
"Core i7..16gig..I don't even like remembering how much it costs me..but it works like a dream"
"I thought you said your hacking days were behind you?"
"Men..once a hacker..."
The system powered up in seconds then he copied the URL from the other laptop. He stretched and cracked his knuckles before he hit enter.
"Are you sure you don't need anything? Because once I start..its hard to get up" he asked Olivia.
"Mr man do your magic...I know where your fridge is after all"
He smiled..."Obazino.... you no go ever change"
He hit enter.

3 Likes

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 10:35am On Mar 23, 2017
"First I need to know the source code of the webpage" he hit some buttons. "Just as I suspected..the scripting language is python" he looked at me "Oba..na work be this one o"
"What does it mean? Python? Na snake?"
"Idiot..it means its not an open source platform if not I would have gotten a copy and changed the whole code"
"Oba..I don't rush my work..hacking is not something you rush..I need a good reconnaissance about my target..that's how I was successful in school back then, I took my precious time"

He frowned then cracked his neck. "I need to check the vulnerability of the website...there's a software I use..I no mention again lipsrsealed it was developed for web developers to test sites they're building but trust hackers na..we done turn am around use am to dey identify vulnerable sites"
He ran the program on his system and was crossing it with the widows initiative site. I was behind him watching eagerly. It felt like magic.
"Oba stop breathing down my neck abeg..you're like my bull mastif"
"So you have a bull mastif and you were telling me it won't bite? There's God o" but I gave him space.
He worked for some seconds "Hmmm..this site is as tight as a virgins...." He looked at Olivia "pardon my language ma'am"
"Don't mind me carry on"
"Please don't insult me..there's nothing on this earth that's unhackable" he looked at Olivia "don't mind this man..he doesn't believe"
He typed some foreign looking code. "I'm preparing its medicine now...an injection!"
Olivia and I both winced..the word injection always brought unpleasant memories.
Short Sam continued..he was in his element and he fired on "I would attack the website with an 'something' injection(pronounced sequel) That would enable me capture information stored in the database"

This took some time, like half an hour and I moved around his house and played with his little boy who was rolling around in one of the rooms.
I was in the process of throwing the boy and catching him, when I heard Short Sam shout "Bingo!"
I ran to the parlour with the boy still in my arms.
"I've found a back door!" Hr exclaimed "or should I say I've bursted a wall to use as the back door!" He laughed at his joke and Olivia and I looked at each other not getting the joke.
" I love this python language!" He exclaimed still high on energy and whatever he had accomplished.
The screen didn't look comprehensible to me. Just small boxes covering up the screen with codes and strange numbers in them.
"Now..I'd install my friend in one corner..a simple cookie catcher code...this code would track the ID password of a login all the way to the real administration of the site"

After some minutes and he was sweating profusely, he looked up and grinned "done!, the thief is hiding..just waiting to strike!"
"This was fun, I need to do this more..the catcher code is in, once an admin logs in, I would have his ID and would be able to alter anything on the website."
"Just put it two numbers after the waiting number on the list..then you bump the number down to 983..they would thank us later"
"What is all this really about Oba.."he looked at Olivia "I understand you're a widow?"
She nodded.
"Short Sam..what you don't know can't kill you..but just know that you have hopefully saved hundreds of widows from being smuggled out...I really appreciate it bruv"
He looked like he couldn't comprehend what I had just told him. Smuggling? But he nodded.
"Me must thank you both...you've reignited my passion in hacking...in fact we need to celebrate"

°•°•°•°•°•°••°
"He's a genius!"
She smiled at me "so where to pilot?" Her smile was breathtaking and I fell from 30 stories.
Damn! Damn! Damn!
I managed to keep my eyes level and smiled back "we should go to a private hospital for your checkup"
She nodded "thank you"
I sped away and my phone rang. I could see road safety so I connected it to the phone Bluetooth.
"Andy what's up?"
"No...tonight we check out the first coordinates..if we see widows..we break them out"

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by forzarush(f): 11:25am On Mar 23, 2017
Awwwww,thanks so much souloho dearie,I'm humbled.
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by yorhmienerd(m): 2:44pm On Mar 23, 2017
cool Intresting. 'been reading since yesternight.
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by Missmossy(f): 4:26pm On Mar 23, 2017
Keep it coming, interesting cheesy
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 10:45am On Mar 24, 2017
yorhmienerd:
cool Intresting. 'been reading since yesternight.

Missmossy:
Keep it coming, interesting cheesy

Welcome on board...thanks a lot!!
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 10:57am On Mar 24, 2017
This particular update sent me to the slammer twice...so I had to edit and censor it..it better not again o angry

"First I need to know the source code of the webpage" he hit some buttons. "Just as I suspected..the scripting language is lipsrsealed" he looked at me "Oba..na work be this one o"
"What does it mean? lipsrsealed? Na snake?"

He frowned then cracked his neck. "I need to check the vulnerability of the website...there's a software I use.. lipsrsealed.. it was developed for web developers to test sites they're building but trust hackers na..we done turn am around use am to dey identify vulnerable sites"
"Oba stop breathing down my neck abeg..you're like my bullmastif dog"
"So you have a bullmastif and you were telling me it won't bite? There's God o" but I gave him space.
"Don't mind me carry on"
Short Sam continued..he was in his element and he fired on "I would attack the website with an lipsrsealed injection(pronounced lipsrsealed) That would enable me capture information stored in the database"

I ran to the parlour with the boy still in my arms.
"I've found a back door!" He exclaimed "or should I say I've bursted a wall to use as the back door!" He laughed at his joke and Olivia and I looked at each other not getting the joke.
" I love this lipsrsealed language!" He exclaimed still high on energy and whatever he had accomplished.
"Now..I'd install my friend in one corner..a simple c lipsrsealed ca___er code...this code would track the ID password of a login all the way to the real administration of the site"

"This was fun, I need to do this more..the ca___r lipsrsealed is in, once an admin logs in, I would have his ID and would be able to alter anything on the website."
She nodded.

°•°•°•°•°•°••°
"He's a genius!"
Damn! Damn! Damn!
She nodded "thank you"
I sped away and my phone rang. I could see road safety so I connected it to the phone Bluetooth.
"Andy what's up?"

5 Likes

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by Jamieoyel: 10:47pm On Mar 24, 2017
[qu" I love this python language!" He exclaimed still high on energy and whatever he had accomplished.
The screen didn't look comprehensible to me. J b
I like d fact that you can write about different topics comfortably.
It shows that you do quite a lot of research and that's one of the major hallmarks of a good writer.
Keep it up brov

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by Bibi294(f): 11:02pm On Mar 24, 2017
Jamieoyel:
[qu" I love this python language!" He exclaimed still high on energy and whatever he had accomplished.
The screen didn't look comprehensible to me. J b
It shows that you do quite a lot of research and that's one of the major hallmarks of a good writer.
Keep it up brov
I second you
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 5:43am On Mar 25, 2017
Jamieoyel:

Keep it up brov

Bibi294:

I second you

Thanks so much..this means a lot!
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by Nobody: 8:02am On Mar 25, 2017
I was just passing by but then i stumbled upon this thread by the boss man himself souloho19
Oga boss ride on.
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 7:06pm On Mar 25, 2017
Lesky3:
I was just passing by but then i stumbled upon this thread by the boss man himself souloho19
Oga boss ride on.

Thanks boss
Its an honour
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 12:35am On Mar 26, 2017
We got back home sometime in the evening. Andy and and my dad were busy focused on the Chelsea match.
I had to call Andy to come and open up the gate. After blasting the horn with no reply. He opened the gate then smiled broadly. "Oba! Welcome home..Olivia...so good to see you!"
I shook my head I could tell he was tanked!
"Men up Chelsea!!"
I wheeled Olivia into the compound while he shut the gate. He sobered up then hurried to my side to help me open the door.
"What happened? Did S.s do it?"
"Yes he did..how many bottles have you drank Andy?"
"Not much..I was just assisting your dad..men that man is something else"
"Remember we have something to do tonight?"
"How could I forget?"
We entered the parlour just as my dad jumped up in jubilation. "Gooooaaaal!!!" He paid little attention to me and Olivia as he and Andy embraced in a bear hug.
I saw that they were on the second bottle of ammunition and making quick work of it.
I wheeled Olivia to the visitor's room.
"You need to get some rest..remember what the doctor said?"
She nodded and I could tell her eyes were droopy. I had taken her to a private hospital and they had given her some shots to kill of the pain in the leg and one of them was supposed to let her sleep deeply.
That suited my plans very well because I planned to launch my own 'operation wrath of God tonight'
I sat with her on the bed and we talked about nothing in particular.
Something wonderful was coming from the kitchen and attacking our noses. I knew she was feeling drowsy but I tried to keep her awake. Judging by how hungry I was, I knew she should be too.
To no avail however, she fell asleep talking about her mother.
"I can't even let her know that Charles is dead...I can't let her know about all the debt..sometimes it feels like its choking me...over 5 million naira..and I don't even have 5% of that..."
She leaned back on the bed and I doubled the pillows to make it comfortable.
"The worst part is the people he owes money aren't good people at all..they're the type you shouldn't owe.." She yawned sleepily.."very dangerous"
"I'm a very dangerous man..." I had earned the right to call myself that hadn't I? "Trust me..these men would fold or we'll fold them..I'd pay of the debt..I don't even know how much is in that case but it should be more than enough" it would be smart to change it to naira before the naira climbed up completely. Plus there would be the money to expect from the initiative..I didn't know how it worked and I felt the need to deal with it very carefully.
I studied her for some minutes watching her sleep. She looked so peaceful and beautiful and I must have sat there staring for long because I suddenly heard a not too discreet cough. I looked up to see my mother shaking her head smiling at me.
"Do you know how long I stood there watching you?"
I just shrugged and got to my feet.
"Is she the reason you and Fome broke up?"
No mama.. Fome is dead. I almost told her. I mean why not? But I wasn't ready to answer questions or to be honest I wasn't ready to open myself to the guilt that was sure to follow should I mention Fome's death.
So instead I said: "no, she's not the reason. Fome and I broke up long before I met her"
She nodded. "Why's she sleeping..food is ready"
I was famished. I headed to the door but kissed my mother on the cheek and just as I expected she softened and smiled.
"That sounds wonderful...Olivia needs some rest..the doctor gave her some medications and she needs to sleep it off"
"Okay...how's the leg?"
"I bet once she wakes up it would feel as good as new"
My mother looked at her for a second longer "she's very beautiful"
I knew what was coming.. And she'd birth beautiful grandkids for her, handsome and strong,...I've heard it countless times before.
But she decided to cut me some slack. She squeezed my cheek affectionately "oya come and eat...I arranged mount Everest for you to demolish as usual"

We had lunch/dinner (it was 6:30pm, if anyone would get hungry later the fridge was there for raiding. I didn't want to be around when Ariyo came and found out that his 7 foot fridge had been raped inside out. That was my own small way of getting back at him over my unpaid Christmas bonus.)
My dad was in a very happy mood since Chelsea won and just as had been predicted earlier, arsenal had lost again. I was always a Chelsea fan but honestly, the last thing on my mind was football.

After the dinner my dad insisted he wanted to walk round the close and 'clear his head' I saw nothing wrong but then I would remember the shadow..that lunatic was still on the loose.
"I'd go with you..I need to stretch my legs"
"Me too."
My dad was irritated. "Can't you boys find something to do? I want to stroll with my wife"
I looked at Andy. He had no comeback to rescue me with this time. My mother said "you boys should go..it wouldn't be nice to leave Olivia asleep alone in this big house. She might wake up"
I could tell my dad was irritated. But seriously I was still wondering when all this lovey dovey between the two of them started. I loved it though!
"Dad why don't we take a spin in the car...I know you would love the handling"
His face brightened immediately. "You know what? That's a very good idea!"
As a contract worker all he drove were trucks, tankers, even bulldozers. I knew he would relish the smooth handling of the V8 engine.

We 'boys' took the car out for a spin. I wore a thick windbreaker, thankful that it was windy but the truth was that it concealed the suppressed desert eagle .50 magnum.

My dad raised his brow when I locked the gate from outside. "You know that's wrong...what if there was some kind of emergency..you have locked them inside"
I said nothing just tossed his 6 foot 4 inch frame the car keys and he forgot about the gate immediately.

45 minutes later, we were back at home. Andy and I sat at the dining table in hushed tones planning and strategizing. My parents were in the parlour.
I had the paper that contained the coordinates on the table and a picture of Google map on the laptop screen.
We had decided it best to wait till everyone was asleep before we left for the nearest location.

My parents appeared in the dining from no where and I studied the paper and rambled gibberish to Andy as if we were facing a work related problem.
"That's it...so if we can link the account to the relevant Bvn, it would mean..." I looked up. "What's wrong? Is there any problem"
My mother nodded at Andy "please excuse us"
"No let him stay..they're 5 and 6 after all"
"That's true."
They sat down opposite us.
I looked at Andy. What again?

6 Likes

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 12:39am On Mar 26, 2017
My dad cleared his throat. "Rex, your mother and I have noticed some strange behaviour lately." He glanced at Andy then back at me "it really got us worried... I don't know what it is that you've gotten into but we're your parents...you can talk to us"
My mother nodded "anything it is just know we love you and we would stand by you"
There was silence as they waited for my reply. I could tell they expected me to confess whatever sins I had committed and whatever I had gotten myself into.
They looked at Andy also their gaze saying he was also included in the topic and that he could speak if I didn't want to.
This wasn't one of those situations where I would use silence to ride out their patience till they got tired and left the issue. I had done that countless times during my teenage years. But this time was different, besides I knew I owed them some sort of explanation. I have been acting strange after all.
I looked at Andy and he shrugged with his eyebrows if it were possible.
I cleared my throat no idea of how I was going to dance out of the spot.
"I've been having some problems with work...the fact is that I'm broke." Where had that come from? But I had succeeded in shocking them..their mouths both hung open. Especially my dad.
"What do you mean you're broke? What happened? How is that possible?"
The best thing was to go with the flow.
"The truth is that..I got duped by fraudsters...millions of naira belonging to the bank went down the drain. I have been running helter skelter trying to pay it off all this while"
"So the house is really not yours?" My dad asked. I glanced at my mother like she had snitched me. But seriously when did they start telling each other everything?
"Who has the house?"
She asked me
"Its for my boss at work...he wanted my parents to be very comfortable and he gave me the house keys for your stay"
The news had weakened them and I was beginning to regret it. I could have thought of something else,
"So the car too isn't yours?"
"No...its not..but the thing is..my boss is working on an appeal for headquarters once it gets approved. Its just a portion of my salary that I'd let up monthly until the debt is paid."
"Andy is this true?"
Andy looked at me like wtf! Is that the best you can come up with? But he nodded sadly "yes ma..as a matter of fact, we're both in the mess"
"Your boss is a nice man..but I keep on telling you that you need to sharpen up..eh" my dad sounded bitter.
He drummed on then table with his fingers "your mother and I would be heading back tomorrow..I'd send you what I can... Its not much but its all I have"
"No...honestly don't worry...its not as bad as it seems..as a matter of fact I still have enough money that I plan to give you before you leave tomorrow"
"So...how come...or did you steal money from work and you're lying that you were scammed?"
"Of course not" I had dug myself in a hole and simultaneously put myself in a corner.
My dad got up. "Honestly...I don't know what is wrong with you...I need a drink then I'm going to bed"
He left and Andy, my mother and I stared at each other in silence.
My mother wasn't done. "Rex...what scares me the most is that you're still refusing to tell me the truth up till now...I'm your mother and I know you're lying to me"

She looked at me and I looked at her. Then
I decided, for a change why not speak the truth?
"The truth is I've been involved with dangerous people and a smuggling ring that traffic women out of the country and last night I faced an assassin that was after my life and I've been running around to make sure everybody is safe" I rushed everything out then watched her...waiting for her reply.
She got up. "I'm going to bed. When you are ready to tell me the truth...I'm ready to listen"
I looked at Andy and he shrugged "don't look at me..somehow you fücked up, but managed to unfùck your fûck up by refūcking up!"
"What the Bleep is that...where were we jare.."
I brought out the coordinates but was having trouble focusing.
My phone rang. Short Sam.
"S.s..how far.?"
"Tell the widow to be checking her inbox...I've done it"
"Nice..what number?"
"Men that number moves fast o..I put it two numbers down at 61"
"Already? How many hours ago?"
"Bro e tire me..wait you said those women are being trafficked out?"
"I'd get back to you..I promise!"
"Of course!...after I've done my part that is what you-"
I had ended the call.
"Men next time I'd call S.s he's gonna put me through hell!"
"What's up?"
I narrated our phone call to Andy and he nodded excitedly. "That means she should get the mail by tomorrow...if they move that fast!"
"Yes..which is why we need to check out at least one location tonight"
"I agree...when do we move?"
"Lets make sure my folks are asleep first"
30 minutes later and not a word from upstairs. They were no doubt upset with me and I knew they wouldn't seek me tonight.
I checked on Olivia and she was still asleep.
I left Andy's phone on the dresser with a note under it.

if you wake up and I'm not back, call my number..its saved 'Oba' on the phone

We set out of the house and locked up. Andy had insisted we were a dull colour of shirt to blend easily with the shadows and I agreed.
I had the gun under the seat and he had the dagger under his. I started up the car and pulled out of the close.
We were heading for the nearest coordinates.

6°27′N 3°22′E / 6.450°N 3.367°E

This region of Apapa lies near the mouth of the Lagos Lagoon and contains ports and terminals for various commodities such as containers and bulk cargo.
Adjacent to the container port is the Tin Can island port.
As I drove towards the port, I remembered something Mona had told me about strange eyes and his agents chasing Fome around the Apapa mariner. At the time I had thought Mona was an agent too but now I wondered at her hidden unknown message then, perhaps Fome had been trying to track down this very location?
I looked at Andy.
"Any idea how we can locate it exactly? And avoid the Ports Authority also?"
"No idea...lemme try and download a digital compass on my phone"
"If that would help...but if widows are locked up in one of these many containers...we are not leaving here till we free them"
Andy...my niggèr had transformed to a real fearless lion. He smiled "that is what I like to hear"

8 Likes

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by sikells(m): 5:39pm On Mar 27, 2017
souloho19:
My dad cleared his throat. "Rex, your mother and I have noticed some strange behaviour lately." He glanced at Andy then back at me "it really got us worried... I don't know what it is that you've gotten into but we're your parents...you can talk to us"
My mother nodded "anything it is just know we love you and we would stand by you"
There was silence as they waited for my reply. I could tell they expected me to confess whatever sins I had committed and whatever I had gotten myself into.
They looked at Andy also their gaze saying he was also included in the topic and that he could speak if I didn't want to.
This wasn't one of those situations where I would use silence to ride out their patience till they got tired and left the issue. I had done that countless times during my teenage years. But this time was different, besides I knew I owed them some sort of explanation. I have been acting strange after all.
I looked at Andy and he shrugged with his eyebrows if it were possible.
I cleared my throat no idea of how I was going to dance out of the spot.
"I've been having some problems with work...the fact is that I'm broke." Where had that come from? But I had succeeded in shocking them..their mouths both hung open. Especially my dad.
"What do you mean you're broke? What happened? How is that possible?"
The best thing was to go with the flow.
"The truth is that..I got duped by fraudsters...millions of naira belonging to the bank went down the drain. I have been running helter skelter trying to pay it off all this while"
"So the house is really not yours?" My dad asked. I glanced at my mother like she had snitched me. But seriously when did they start telling each other everything?
"Who has the house?"
She asked me
"Its for my boss at work...he wanted my parents to be very comfortable and he gave me the house keys for your stay"
The news had weakened them and I was beginning to regret it. I could have thought of something else,
"So the car too isn't yours?"
"No...its not..but the thing is..my boss is working on an appeal for headquarters once it gets approved. Its just a portion of my salary that I'd let up monthly until the debt is paid."
"Andy is this true?"
Andy looked at me like wtf! Is that the best you can come up with? But he nodded sadly "yes ma..as a matter of fact, we're both in the mess"
"Your boss is a nice man..but I keep on telling you that you need to sharpen up..eh" my dad sounded bitter.
He drummed on then table with his fingers "your mother and I would be heading back tomorrow..I'd send you what I can... Its not much but its all I have"
"No...honestly don't worry...its not as bad as it seems..as a matter of fact I still have enough money that I plan to give you before you leave tomorrow"
"So...how come...or did you steal money from work and you're lying that you were scammed?"
"Of course not" I had dug myself in a hole and simultaneously put myself in a corner.
My dad got up. "Honestly...I don't know what is wrong with you...I need a drink then I'm going to bed"
He left and Andy, my mother and I stared at each other in silence.
My mother wasn't done. "Rex...what scares me the most is that you're still refusing to tell me the truth up till now...I'm your mother and I know you're lying to me"

She looked at me and I looked at her. Then
I decided, for a change why not speak the truth?
"The truth is I've been involved with dangerous people and a smuggling ring that traffic women out of the country and last night I faced an assassin that was after my life and I've been running around to make sure everybody is safe" I rushed everything out then watched her...waiting for her reply.
She got up. "I'm going to bed. When you are ready to tell me the truth...I'm ready to listen"
I looked at Andy and he shrugged "don't look at me..somehow you fücked up, but managed to unfùck your fûck up by refūcking up!"
"What the Bleep is that...where were we jare.."
I brought out the coordinates but was having trouble focusing.
My phone rang. Short Sam.
"S.s..how far.?"
"Tell the widow to be checking her inbox...I've done it"
"Nice..what number?"
"Men that number moves fast o..I put it two numbers down at 61"
"Already? How many hours ago?"
"Bro e tire me..wait you said those women are being trafficked out?"
"I'd get back to you..I promise!"
"Of course!...after I've done my part that is what you-"
I had ended the call.
"Men next time I'd call S.s he's gonna put me through hell!"
"What's up?"
I narrated our phone call to Andy and he nodded excitedly. "That means she should get the mail by tomorrow...if they move that fast!"
"Yes..which is why we need to check out at least one location tonight"
"I agree...when do we move?"
"Lets make sure my folks are asleep first"
30 minutes later and not a word from upstairs. They were no doubt upset with me and I knew they wouldn't seek me tonight.
I checked on Olivia and she was still asleep.
I left Andy's phone on the dresser with a note under it.

if you wake up and I'm not back, call my number..its saved 'Oba' on the phone

We set out of the house and locked up. Andy had insisted we were a dull colour of shirt to blend easily with the shadows and I agreed.
I had the gun under the seat and he had the dagger under his. I started up the car and pulled out of the close.
We were heading for the nearest coordinates.

6°27′N 3°22′E / 6.450°N 3.367°E

This region of Apapa lies near the mouth of the Lagos Lagoon and contains ports and terminals for various commodities such as containers and bulk cargo.
Adjacent to the container port is the Tin Can island port.
As I drove towards the port, I remembered something Mona had told me about strange eyes and his agents chasing Fome around the Apapa mariner. At the time I had thought Mona was an agent too but now I wondered at her hidden unknown message then, perhaps Fome had been trying to track down this very location?
I looked at Andy.
"Any idea how we can locate it exactly? And avoid the Ports Authority also?"
"No idea...lemme try and download a digital compass on my phone"
"If that would help...but if widows are locked up in one of these many containers...we are not leaving here till we free them"
Andy...my niggèr had transformed to a real fearless lion. He smiled "that is what I like to hear"
mhen I love this... thumbs up bro.. any update today?
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 6:50pm On Mar 27, 2017
sikells:

mhen I love this... thumbs up bro.. any update today?

Sure bro
It myt be later tonyt tho
Tnx for following
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by sikells(m): 7:22pm On Mar 27, 2017
souloho19:

Sure bro It myt be later tonyt tho Tnx for following
aii bro... thanks

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 8:55pm On Mar 27, 2017
Andy had downloaded some kind of compass on his phone and he keyed in the coordinates.
"Okay okay...we're almost there"
"What I don't understand is, the coordinates is it for the place specifically or this port in general"
"I don't think so"
"You don't think so for which one?"
"Oboy just find somewhere to park we would locate it on foot"
I complied with him. That looked like the smartest thing to do. It was 10:15pm and the car headlights were a giveaway.
I had no idea how the security of this place looked like but it had to be sparse. After all illegal activities had been going on here.
I parked the car in between two container carrying trucks parked for the night. The parking was very hard and I had to reverse and move forward little by little like ten times until the car was parked appropriately.
I killed the headlights then dug under the seat for the gun. My mind had been on bullets. I knew it had 9 rounds. I had shot 3 at shadow in the hospital and I had killed(i wasn't losing any sleep over it)a cleaner earlier at Andy's place. So I had five bullets left to use carefully. I didn't really know much about guns, didn't know where I could get bullets. Maybe I could check the internet..sites like (you know that site that means 'well' in Yoruba? And the other one OL... Na bot cause am no vex) I made it a mental note to check. Maybe delivery would be included.
"How did the suppressor work last night?" Andy asked me.
"Like a dream, I didn't even notice the sound very much"
He retrieved the dagger from underneath his seat and we got down.

The port was quite well lit but the amount of cargo lying about provided suitable shadows for us to move in.
We were at a spot were they piled sand after excavating it from the water.
I noticed some bodies scattered about. People actually slept here. I beckoned to Andy to kill his phone screen as it gave us away. He was busy tilting his phone checking the compass which was still running.
We moved in a zig zag manner for some while, avoiding every reflection of light. Finally we got to the foot of the first container. Row after row after row, on top of each other. I could see the hook of a stationary crane just hanging above the containers.
"Wait lemme check the compass" Andy stopped me then consulted his phone. "Men this place big o..."
Honestly it was almost discouraging. The thing was we had not even started. This was just a small part, like the outskirts of the port.
"I truly think this coordinates would lead us to the spot exactly...look at it..we're not there yet"
"I hope so..if not we would sleep here today...I never knew this place was as big as this!"
We continued our movement in silence. ducking in between containers whenever we heard movement or saw the beam of a flashlight. I had a torchlight strapped to my belt, but there was no need to put it on. For now, the darkness was our friend. I remembered something that psycho Killer shadow had said...'I operate in the dark' and I shivered despite myself. I caressed the butt of the gun strapped to my belt for a little confidence boost.
"Okay...we turn right" Andy said
"Are you sure that thing is legit?"
"It better be, it finished my data to download"
I followed his lead however and we continued our zigzagging through the containers. I could smell cigarette smoke or was it hemp? But I didn't know where it was coming from. I prayed we didn't run into any company.
"We're almost there...look at it" he thrust the phone under my nose and true enough I saw the coordinates were winding down and the the green mark was getting closer to the red point.
I nodded. "Please lower your voice...be careful if the widows are here we better not give away our location to whoever is on the lookout"
He nodded and we were quiet. We continued our slow painful journey for almost five minutes then he slowed down. I brought out the gun and it felt good to hold. My heart was beating though...'this is it...showdown!'
I almost ran into him when he stopped suddenly. He turned and nodded to a particular container that was out of line with the rest. This side was quite dark and I brought out the torch but didn't switch it on. I approached the container and as I got closer I saw it wasn't sealed, the lock had been broken. I took a deep breath then yanked it open, switching on the torch at the same time and pointing the gun where I directed the beam of light. I expected to see the terrified faces of about a hundred widows but inside was empty!.
I moved into the spacious container and Andy followed me closely behind.
I pointed the torch everywhere, looking for some kind of evidence...anything at all. But inside was plain empty.
I saw a little shoe on the floor. Very little, made of cotton. The type a baby would wear. I knew this because I had gone shopping for my elder sister when she had put to bed and I had gotten something of this sort. The baby this had belonged to couldn't be more than 5 months old.
"Oba what is that?"
I handed the shoe to him without a word.
"Darn..shīt just got real...even babies too?"
I couldn't even speak...my mind was filled with anger...I felt like slitting the chief's throat...child trafficking? I looked at the shoe again he handed it back to me silently. There was something painful about that little shoe. I felt the soft material of the cotton in my palm. I imagined a little boy or a girl with his/her tiny foot in it.
"Oba..did you hear that?" Andy perked up suddenly and I listened.
"No I didn't hear anything..what did you-"
BAAAAAAAAANNNNNGGGGG!!
The torch clattered to the gun as I jerked in shock! The noise had come from the door. Somebody had closed us in!
I was suddenly Claustrophobic.."heey...heey...somebody is in here!"
"Heeey who did that open up!" Andy shouted and we ran to the door.
The lock had been broken when I had checked so I threw my body on it hoping and expecting it to fling open but I bounced back. Andy also threw his thin frame at the door but to no avail.
"Heey..somebody is inside...please open up!!"
No answer. Then:
"This container is supposed to leave this port by noon tomorrow. There was a last minute change of plans but it looks like we just found a replacement to the widows...that's who you came here for right?..the widows..well you have saved them don't worry. You will take their place!"
Who the hell was this lunatic? I hadn't heard his voice before.
"You better open up now and just maybe I won't kill you" Andy shouted but I could feel him starting to panic.
I suddenly remembered a time we had gone to head office at work and he had been stuck in the elevator for like five minutes during a brief power outage. He had almost died..he hated tight spaces to the limit. If I thought I was claustrophobic, he was a chronic one.
"Andy calm down..we would get out" I tried to sound assuring.
He wasn't even listening.
"You hear me? Open this door...open it immediately!!!" He screamed at the top of his lungs.

14 Likes

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by praisekeyzz(m): 7:06am On Mar 28, 2017
I hate stories on SM!
If I wanna read i'l buy story book
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by Bibi294(f): 8:03am On Mar 28, 2017
praisekeyzz:
I hate stories on SM!
If I wanna read i'l buy story book
Why? Are they not interesting?
Re: Delayed Diagnosis by Bibi294(f): 8:08am On Mar 28, 2017
Souloho19, congrats honey... You are on the FP

1 Like

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by sikells(m): 8:44am On Mar 28, 2017
Bibi294:
Souloho19, congrats honey... You are on the FP
yeah cool... that's like second time In 5 days

4 Likes

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by souloho19(m): 11:13am On Mar 28, 2017
"Andy relax..we would get out" I tried again but he wasn't listening.
He began throwing his body at the door and I knew it had to hurt judging by the sound it made.
I couldn't hear any noise from the other side. It seems whoever had done this to us had left. Not as if Andy even gave me a chance to listen well. "Heeeeeey! Open up! Open this door!"
He looked at me and I could see he was already sweating profusely.
"Oba are you not bothered?! We are going to die here and you're just standing!"
"Andy just calm down...all this noise won't help. The first thing is to relax. I have-"
"Relax?relax? Does this look like the beach?"
With that he faced the door and continued banging and shouting.
I walked deeper into the container. Truth be told the confinement was already getting to me. I was somebody who loved my freedom and something told me that if it was just me I would have freaked out maybe worse than Andy. But his presence made me struggle for a little bit of control. Although it seems I held onto 'control' with a thin thread, and it could snap any minute.
I brought out my phone. Who could I call now? As much as I hated calling strange eyes I could see no other option. As I was battling myself mentally, my phone rang. It was Andy calling me. I looked at him suprised but he was still busy banging and shouting. Then I remembered I had left his phone with Olivia.
"Hello"
"Rex..what's going on?"
"Nothing much, how's your leg? You just woke up?"
"No its been quite long. Your mother came to check on me so I just had dinner. How's the operation going? What's that noise?"
"That's the sound of Andy freaking out..but everything would be okay...we'd be home in no time" I don't know if I believed that or if I just said it to make her feel better.
"Rex. What is happening?"
I could hear the panic in her voice.
I didn't need this right now..precious time was seeping away. I rushed through the call with some empty sounding assurances then cut the call.
I called strange eyes.
Can you believe it, not reachable!
I tried again..switched off!
Again...not reachable!
Haaaa! Today of all days!
Now I was loosing it. I was feeling like I couldn't breathe. It seems the walls were closing in. And it seems the darkness was eating me. I hurried to the torch that had fallen on the floor when someone had closed the door.
Andy had removed his shirt by now. He had stopped shouting but was still yanking the door to no avail.
I planned to go and tell him that help was on the way. Anything to just calm him down.
There had to be someone else I could call..someone who could come running to this port by...11pm at night. I could only think of short Sam and Ariyo.
Both of them were definitely a no show. Ariyo was definitely out of the picture. Our branch manager..he had called Andy and I countles times regarding work. And we had ignored his calls, Still there was no harm in trying.
I scrolled through my phone searching for Short Sam's number. My phone vibrated again. A message this time.
I checked it out expecting to see something from Olivia.
However;

roses are red, violets are blue,
Bullets are lead.
Expect one soon,
Straight to your head!

P.s: when a man starts writing poetry, know he's in love...in love with the idea of killing you..(just so you know I'm laughing crazily and wickedly right now!)
Yours killingly!

P.PS: you let my message enter two pages abi? That's two bullets then!
Hahahahahahahah!

"This guy is a sick idiot!" I was about to delete the message again but I stopped.
I studied Andy, he had gotten tired of banging and banging and he was on the floor. I felt he would pass out.
Calling short Sam now would be a waste of time.
1. He was a family man
2. He lived at the other end of Lagos.
3. If he agrees to show,the journey itself would be like almost a day. Our fears would have eaten us alive before then.

I took a second to think of what I was about to do, then I decided I didn't have any choice.
I dialled the number.
Rrrring! Rrrrrring! Rrrring! Rrrrr-
"Hello Target" he sounded like he didn't believe I had the guts to call him.
"Listen carefully I'm only going to tell you once! Stop sending messages to me..you're a bloody coward and you know it!"
"Oh you have mouth now abi...because you think you're safe somewhere..just wait till I get you!"
"I'm sick of your bullshït! You want to get me? I'm at Apapa presently..come! I'd be waiting let's end this once and for all!."
"If you have mind remain on the line for 15 more seconds let me lock the signal and trace your location!"
I was silent.
After some seconds. "Hmmm...you've grown balls haven't you...well start praying all your sins are forgiven you! Because I'm coming to send you to your maker!"
He laughed that his crazy wicked laugh before he cut the call.

I walked to were Andy was.
"Oba" he sounded weak "so this is what those widows have been going through? Even children? At least its just me and you alone, but imagine when this place is crammed full with women and children all crying and afraid. Some of them would even die in here"
I was silent and I sat down beside him.
"Andy I've got good news and bad news"
He looked at me. "Good news and bad news..start with the good news first...no no start with the bad news"
"I'd start with the good news" I cleared my throat.
"Help is on its way..someone is coming here as we speak"
He gave a sigh of relief. "Oh thank God" but then he frowned. "Wait, what's the bad news?"
"Its the assassin...and he's coming to kill us"
Andy just looked at me like: 'wonders would never end!'

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Delayed Diagnosis by sikells(m): 1:32pm On Mar 28, 2017
souloho19:
"Andy relax..we would get out" I tried again but he wasn't listening.
He began throwing his body at the door and I knew it had to hurt judging by the sound it made.
I couldn't hear any noise from the other side. It seems whoever had done this to us had left. Not as if Andy even gave me a chance to listen well. "Heeeeeey! Open up! Open this door!"
He looked at me and I could see he was already sweating profusely.
"Oba are you not bothered?! We are going to die here and you're just standing!"
"Andy just calm down...all this noise won't help. The first thing is to relax. I have-"
"Relax?relax? Does this look like the beach?"
With that he faced the door and continued banging and shouting.
I walked deeper into the container. Truth be told the confinement was already getting to me. I was somebody who loved my freedom and something told me that if it was just me I would have freaked out maybe worse than Andy. But his presence made me struggle for a little bit of control. Although it seems I held onto 'control' with a thin thread, and it could snap any minute.
I brought out my phone. Who could I call now? As much as I hated calling strange eyes I could see no other option. As I was battling myself mentally, my phone rang. It was Andy calling me. I looked at him suprised but he was still busy banging and shouting. Then I remembered I had left his phone with Olivia.
"Hello"
"Rex..what's going on?"
"Nothing much, how's your leg? You just woke up?"
"No its been quite long. Your mother came to check on me so I just had dinner. How's the operation going? What's that noise?"
"That's the sound of Andy freaking out..but everything would be okay...we'd be home in no time" I don't know if I believed that or if I just said it to make her feel better.
"Rex. What is happening?"
I could hear the panic in her voice.
I didn't need this right now..precious time was seeping away. I rushed through the call with some empty sounding assurances then cut the call.
I called strange eyes.
Can you believe it, not reachable!
I tried again..switched off!
Again...not reachable!
Haaaa! Today of all days!
Now I was loosing it. I was feeling like I couldn't breathe. It seems the walls were closing in. And it seems the darkness was eating me. I hurried to the torch that had fallen on the floor when someone had closed the door.
Andy had removed his shirt by now. He had stopped shouting but was still yanking the door to no avail.
I planned to go and tell him that help was on the way. Anything to just calm him down.
There had to be someone else I could call..someone who could come running to this port by...11pm at night. I could only think of short Sam and Ariyo.
Both of them were definitely a no show. Ariyo was definitely out of the picture. Our branch manager..he had called Andy and I countles times regarding work. And we had ignored his calls, Still there was no harm in trying.
I scrolled through my phone searching for Short Sam's number. My phone vibrated again. A message this time.
I checked it out expecting to see something from Olivia.
However;

roses are red, violets are blue,
Bullets are lead.
Expect one soon,
Straight to your head!

P.s: when a man starts writing poetry, know he's in love...in love with the idea of killing you..(just so you know I'm laughing crazily and wickedly right now!)
Yours killingly!

P.PS: you let my message enter two pages abi? That's two bullets then!
Hahahahahahahah!

"This guy is a sick idiot!" I was about to delete the message again but I stopped.
I studied Andy, he had gotten tired of banging and banging and he was on the floor. I felt he would pass out.
Calling short Sam now would be a waste of time.
1. He was a family man
2. He lived at the other end of Lagos.
3. If he agrees to show,the journey itself would be like almost a day. Our fears would have eaten us alive before then.

I took a second to think of what I was about to do, then I decided I didn't have any choice.
I dialled the number.
Rrrring! Rrrrrring! Rrrring! Rrrrr-
"Hello Target" he sounded like he didn't believe I had the guts to call him.
"Listen carefully I'm only going to tell you once! Stop sending messages to me..you're a bloody coward and you know it!"
"Oh you have mouth now abi...because you think you're safe somewhere..just wait till I get you!"
"I'm sick of your bullshït! You want to get me? I'm at Apapa presently..come! I'd be waiting let's end this once and for all!."
"If you have mind remain on the line for 15 more seconds let me lock the signal and trace your location!"
I was silent.
After some seconds. "Hmmm...you've grown balls haven't you...well start praying all your sins are forgiven you! Because I'm coming to send you to your maker!"
He laughed that his crazy wicked laugh before he cut the call.

I walked to were Andy was.
"Oba" he sounded weak "so this is what those widows have been going through? Even children? At least its just me and you alone, but imagine when this place is crammed full with women and children all crying and afraid. Some of them would even die in here"
I was silent and I sat down beside him.
"Andy I've got good news and bad news"
He looked at me. "Good news and bad news..start with the good news first...no no start with the bad news"
"I'd start with the good news" I cleared my throat.
"Help is on its way..someone is coming here as we speak"
He gave a sigh of relief. "Oh thank God" but then he frowned. "Wait, what's the bad news?"
"Its the assassin...and he's coming to kill us"
Andy just looked at me like: 'wonders would never end!'
hahaha... that dude got balls

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (29) (Reply)

Food For Thought - Inspirational Quotes / THE PAINS OF LOVING A STAR [a story that touches the heart] / unHOLY MATRIMONY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 383
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.