Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,889 members, 7,824,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:02 PM

My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) (3618 Views)

40 Cucumbers Per Plant And 12kg Tomatoes Per Plant / My Little Ginger Sack Farm In The South East / How Lucrative Is Carrot And Cabbage Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 6:37pm On Jan 15, 2017
Hi guys am happy to share with you my little garden experiment here in PH. I bought Tomato seeds from Aliexpress. Initially the first variety of seed that arrived was nothing to write home about only one germinated after over 3weeks I almost lost hope. So this time I decided to buy different varieties so got three other species from different stores including Cabbage and blue Berries.

Its over 25 days now. Here are the pictures.

I will update you guys on its progress.

Note I have been doing some serious irrigation because of dry weather.

4 Likes

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by undeniableGrace(m): 7:32pm On Jan 15, 2017
Kudos my friend. Things like this gives hope for this nation.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by uboma(m): 8:19pm On Jan 15, 2017
@ snipesdam,
Nice work.
May your efforts pay off handsomely.
What is the size of your Tomato farm please?
Are the Tomatoes and Cabbage planted together or demarcated?
What brand of Tomato seeds did you buy from Aliexpress?
Can you upload a picture of the sachet please?
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by Dadanoah(m): 11:02pm On Jan 15, 2017
WELDONE BRO.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 12:05pm On Jan 16, 2017
uboma:
@ snipesdam,

Nice work.

May your efforts pay off handsomely.

What is the size of your Tomato farm please?

Are the Tomatoes and Cabbage planted together or demarcated?

What brand of Tomato seeds did you buy from Aliexpress?

Can you upload a picture of the sachet please?

This is the stores I bought from which has good seeds.

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by uboma(m): 3:35pm On Jan 16, 2017
snipesdam:

This is the stores I bought from which has good seeds.

Thank you for the feedback.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by ikennaokoroik(m): 3:49pm On Jan 16, 2017
Wats d name of the store n pls I want to know whether they av cucumber seeds too

1 Like

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by eddyline(m): 3:50pm On Jan 16, 2017
nice work bro. I also started a small tomato farm at my backyard but lizards are giving me serious problems

1 Like

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by drake2(m): 4:14pm On Jan 16, 2017
snipesdam:
Hi guys am happy to share with you my little garden experiment here in PH. I bought Tomato seeds from Aliexpress. Initially the first variety of seed that arrived was nothing to write home about only one germinated after over 3weeks I almost lost hope. So this time I decided to buy different varieties so got three other species from different stores including Cabbage and blue Berries.

Its over 25 days now. Here are the pictures.

I will update you guys on its progress.

Note I have been doing some serious irrigation because of dry weather.

OP. Weldon oh. Your Soil seems to be Sandy clay?. Do not leave the soil surface bare. try and apply mulch materials so that it can retain moisture which your crops really need.

Since its dry out there, how do you provide moisture? And also Vegetables require rich in nutrient soils, be sure to apply compost for maximum expression of its genetic potentials (Yield).

Good-luck!
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 16, 2017
The land looks very fertile. smiley
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 4:34pm On Jan 16, 2017
drake2:

OP. Weldon oh. Your Soil seems to be Sandy clay?. Do not leave the soil surface bare. try and apply mulch materials so that it can retain moisture which your crops really need.

Since its dry out there, how do you provide moisture? And also Vegetables require rich in nutrient soils, be sure to apply compost for maximum expression of its genetic potentials (Yield).

Good-luck!

The soil in my compound isn't so great. Am using poultry manure on them. I water the them every to days in the evening with my hose until the soil is wet completely.

Am happy they are doing well.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 10:17am On Jan 20, 2017
Hello Guys Yesterday evening i came back from work and decided to inspect my garden. I found small flower bulbs coming out as small as they are... am very surprised and the cabbage is also doing good and curious when it will start folding inside.

Pictures Below

1 Like

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 10:38am On Jan 20, 2017
eddyline:
nice work bro. I also started a small tomato farm at my backyard but lizards are giving me serious problems

I have cats in my house to take care of the lizards, rats, cockroaches and small rodents.

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 10:40am On Jan 20, 2017
ikennaokoroik:
Wats d name of the store n pls I want to know whether they av cucumber seeds too

Name of the seller on Aliexpress is "Treasuremountain Gadren Store" and "Chen tu di"

1 Like

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by eddyline(m): 11:08am On Jan 20, 2017
snipesdam:

I have cats in my house to take care of the lizards, rats, cockroaches and small rodents.
lucky you. I had a male cat, but it ran away after growing big. am still searching for a kitten to keep. what I later did was to plant maize together with the tomatoes. it seem they prefer to feed on the maize and as such, my tomatoes are now coming up. my only fear now is that the cold season is going away now and heat is gradually setting in. this is not good for my tomatoes. will take pics and send when I arrive home later in the day. good luck

1 Like

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 2:19pm On Feb 07, 2017
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since my tomatoes started flowering, its flower stalk has been turnning yellow and dying off. The early flowers have all died and fallen off. I dunno whats problem ooo.

Is it because i used poultry manure on it? Am confused oo i will update pictures later.

1 Like

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by frisky2good(m): 3:12pm On Feb 07, 2017
Did you apply the manure immediately you got them?

snipesdam:
Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since my tomatoes started flowering, its flower stalk has been turnning yellow and dying off. The early flowers have all died and fallen off. I dunno whats problem ooo.

Is it because i used poultry manure on it? Am confused oo i will update pictures later.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 3:52pm On Feb 07, 2017
frisky2good:
Did you apply the manure immediately you got them?

No i didn't i only applied manure three weeks ago.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by Askmewhy(m): 7:05pm On Mar 21, 2017
Pls give me ur number or call 08034299085
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by majorgr: 7:40pm On Mar 21, 2017
snipesdam:
Hello Guys Yesterday evening i came back from work and decided to inspect my garden. I found small flower bulbs coming out as small as they are... am very surprised and the cabbage is also doing good and curious when it will start folding inside.

Pictures Below

the flowers will still drop those are false flowers i suspect its because of the weather. there are meant to start producing like in three months time. i experience that do.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 12:10am On Mar 22, 2017
majorgr:

the flowers will still drop those are false flowers i suspect its because of the weather. there are meant to start producing like in three months time. i experience that do.

You're very right I think that the sooth weather in portharcourt is affecting it. Only one plant in all is producing. I have just given up on it.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 12:12am On Mar 22, 2017
Askmewhy:
Pls give me ur number or call 08034299085

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by DERMID: 7:16am On Mar 22, 2017
snipesdam:

You're very right I think that the sooth weather in portharcourt is affecting it. Only one plant in all is producing. I have just given up on it.
don't give up on it! the tomato plant z stressed up.
lemme make some assumptions
1)the poultry manure boosted the nitrogen levels in the soil at the wrong time.flowers wud fall off as a result and the plant would look healthier
2) i saw some signs of curly leaves.that may due to d fact dt u hv not fumigated the farm for disease nd pest
3)maybe the tomato species u got are nt for d tropical regions
it may also be due to low potassium/phosphorus levels, irregular watering, extreme heat. Take it as a learning experience nd neva give up

1 Like

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by RealityShot: 8:16am On Mar 22, 2017
Kai!
this Nairaland will go down in history
as the nigerian wikipedia for small businesses!

God bless all admin and informative Nigerians sharing their knowledge!

i pray i get a chance to share too...

#Lalasticlala #Dominique #Pavore9

3 Likes

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 8:54am On Mar 22, 2017
DERMID:
don't give up on it! the tomato plant z stressed up.
lemme make some assumptions
1)the poultry manure boosted the nitrogen levels in the soil at the wrong time.flowers wud fall off as a result and the plant would look healthier
2) i saw some signs of curly leaves.that may due to d fact dt u hv not fumigated the farm for disease nd pest
3)maybe the tomato species u got are nt for d tropical regions
it may also be due to low potassium/phosphorus levels, irregular watering, extreme heat. Take it as a learning experience nd neva give up

Well I think during the dry season it may have been affected due to extreme heat. However water of the plants was done every eve of 48hrs... The plants now just look funny with all hard work put inside it. Its just an eye sore posting the images here.

Even when i applied NPK later to it, dunno if all the water leaves were the ones that enjoyed the thing. Honestly am disappointed with this project. I will restart soon anyway.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by DERMID: 9:14am On Mar 22, 2017
snipesdam:

Well I think during the dry season it may have been affected due to extreme heat. However water of the plants was done every eve of 48hrs... The plants now just look funny with all hard work put inside it. Its just an eye sore posting the images here.

Even when i applied NPK later to it, dunno if all the water leaves were the ones that enjoyed the thing. Honestly am disappointed with this project. I will restart soon anyway.
hw many tomato plants do you have?the plants are looking funny?i guess you neva used fungicides/pesticides at all. what was the npk type u used?
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 9:25am On Mar 22, 2017
DERMID:
hw many tomato plants do you have?the plants are looking funny?i guess you neva used fungicides/pesticides at all. what was the npk type u used?

I did fumigate actually like 3 times. Especially when my cabbage was been attacked. It worked and the unseen insects eating my cabbage leaves stopped. The tomatoes wasn't affected in anyway, but still i fumigated all the same.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 9:31am On Mar 22, 2017
I did fumigate actually like 3 times. Especially when my cabbage was been attacked. It worked and the unseen insects eating my cabbage leaves stopped. The tomatoes wasn't affected in anyway, but still i fumigated all the same.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by DERMID: 9:37am On Mar 22, 2017
snipesdam:

U said d tomato looks funny. i prefer preventive to curative fumigation, i.e every 2 weeks for spraying. bc just one grasshopper can transmit disease all over ur farm. what fertilizer did u use
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by snipesdam(m): 9:50am On Mar 22, 2017
DERMID:
U said d tomato looks funny. i prefer preventive to curative fumigation, i.e every 2 weeks for spraying. bc just one grasshopper can transmit disease all over ur farm. what fertilizer did u use

The plants are about 25 plants. I dunno the type of NPK i even bought sef.. undecided but i know i was supposed to buy 15-15-15 i guess.
Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by DERMID: 7:32pm On Mar 22, 2017
snipesdam:

The plants are about 25 plants. I dunno the type of NPK i even bought sef.. undecided but i know i was supposed to buy 15-15-15 i guess.
when tomato z @flowering stage u need less of n,but more f p and most of k like 10-20-20 or somtin like dt

1 Like

Re: My Little Tomatoes And Cabbage Garden (PHOTOS) by Seun(m): 11:18am On Apr 05, 2017
eddyline:
Hmm. Do lizards eat the tomatoes, or the leaves?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pigs For Sale / I Need Advice On How To Store Onions. / Garri Production/Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.