Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,993 members, 7,821,464 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM (1587 Views)

Lions Seen Taking Tourists And Park Rangers On A Tour In The Jungle / Would You Allow Your Dog To Kill A Thief/Robber In Your Home? / Python Almost Strangled Indian Man To Death While Taking Selfie With It (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by logadims: 9:59pm On Jan 15, 2017
Saw this post by Dr. Stuart Nelson and decided to share it here:

it's all about how to care for our Dogs. most of us here do not practise some of them. This post will help to put us back in track. One big problem in the canine world is that many of our so-called breeders don't even know what it takes to be a breeder. As a breeder it is your responsibility to educate buyers on how to take care of puppies given to them.-This will help to improve the standards of dogs in Nigeria.

MAKE SURE YOU WRITE THESE POINTS DOWN.
(Take note of the last point at the end of the post) That's where many of us fail.

1) PROVIDE A PROTECTED AND CLEAN LIVING ENVIRONMENT FOR YOUR DOG. Shelter from the elements and hazards, as well as good hygiene, are basic to a quality life.

2)ALWAYS KEEP FRESH WATER AVAILABLE. Maintaining optimal hydration is important for health and energy.

3)FEED A QUALITY DIET AND PREVENT OBESITY. Overweight humans and animals can adversely affect health in many ways. Follow the dietary recommendations that your veterinarian will make according to the nutritional needs of your dog, based on size, age, level of activity and breed. Remember to provide healthy treats rather than table scraps, as rewards.

4)HAVE YOUR PET EXAMINED BY A VETERINARIAN ON A REGULAR BASIS. Your veterinarian will provide you with the information on vaccination schedules, deworming and external parasite control. Keep a copy of your pet’s vaccination records in your home or with you when you travel. Contact your veterinarian if you believe that your pet may be ill, injured, or if something just doesn’t seem right. Your veterinarian is the expert on keeping your dog healthy. Work as a team with him or her.

5)PROVIDE AMPLE OPPORTUNITIES TO EXERCISE. Make sure your dog gets the regular exercise needed to enable it to be fit. By being in shape, your dog will be more capable of participating in the activities that it enjoys.

6)COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR DOG AND DEVELOP A RELATIONSHIP. Dogs are social creatures and they need to interact with their owner. Quality time will help you get to know your dog and understand particular needs that it might have, as well enhance your ability to recognize early signs of an illness that could be developing. In addition, time spent in developing a relationship will help prevent many undesirable behavioral patterns.

7)TRAIN YOUR DOG TO FOLLOW THE SIMPLE COMMANDS. Puppy and dog training classes can be very helpful. The better your dog is at following basic and necessary commands, the greater the chances are that your dog will live a safe and long life.

8.PRACTICE REPRODUCTIVE CONTROL. If you do not intend to create puppies, spaying or neutering is a certain option. If you plan to breed your dog or are opposed to spaying and neutering for other reasons, take appropriate measures to prevent mismatings. Consult with your veterinarian in regard to other options that are available.

9)DENTAL CARE IS VERY IMPORTANT.
Many breeds are prone to gum disease, which can have serious implications. Infection resulting from this condition leads to premature tooth loss, and can commonly cause infections in major organs, including the heart valves

10)DON’T OVERLOOK GROOMING AND NAIL TRIMMING. Long coated dogs are prone to developing matts and ice balls in their hair. Overgrown nails are common in elderly dogs and can make it more difficult for them to walk. In addition, such nails are much more prone to breaking, which can be quite painful.

IMPORTANT NOTE:

IN CONCLUSION, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER. READ UP AND LEARN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ABOUT YOUR DOG’S BREED SPECIFICALLY, AND ABOUT RAISING, TRAINING AND LIVING WITH DOGS, IN GENERAL. THE MORE YOU KNOW, THE MORE CONFIDENT YOU’LL BE IN PROVIDING A SAFE AND ENJOYABLE HOME FOR YOUR DOG.

Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM

1 Like

Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by logadims: 1:37pm On Apr 04, 2017
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by Spy360(m): 2:43pm On Apr 04, 2017
Nice one.

Questions:

How often to deworm a puppy of 3 and half months?

Is it wrong if I mate a mongrel with a dog of known breed? Would it be seen as unethical?
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by logadims: 3:13pm On Apr 04, 2017
Spy360:
Nice one.

Questions:

Is it wrong if I mate a mongrel with a dog of known breed? Would it be seen as unethical?
Worming schedules will vary depending on the
product and your dog's age. Typically
puppies will be treated every two to three weeks
for two or three treatments to ensure elimination
of roundworms and hookworms. Adult dogs are
typically wormed when specific parasites are
found on microscopic exam of stool samples,
except in cases of bloody diarrhea where
whipworms are suspected, since these parasites
are difficult to diagnose on many stool samples.
Monthly heartworm preventatives will often be
effective in killing other parasites such as
hookworms and roundworms, as well as in
preventing whipworms. Veterinarians usually
won't worm pregnant dogs until after delivery,
since most puppies will be born with
roundworms no matter how often adult pets are
wormed.
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by logadims: 3:16pm On Apr 04, 2017
Spy360:
Nice one.

Questions:

ANSWER 2: it's a 2 way thing. I will say YES and NO. YES: because you are trying to improve standard. NO: because you are gonna be circulating mixed breeds/mongrels.

1 Like

Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by Spy360(m): 3:25pm On Apr 04, 2017
logadims:
Worming schedules will vary depending on the
product and your dog's age. Typically
puppies will be treated every two to three weeks
for two or three treatments to ensure elimination
of roundworms and hookworms. Adult dogs are
typically wormed when specific parasites are
found on microscopic exam of stool samples,
except in cases of bloody diarrhea where
whipworms are suspected, since these parasites
are difficult to diagnose on many stool samples.
Monthly heartworm preventatives will often be
effective in killing other parasites such as
hookworms and roundworms, as well as in
preventing whipworms. Veterinarians usually
won't worm pregnant dogs until after delivery,
since most puppies will be born with
roundworms no matter how often adult pets are
wormed.
Ok.

Why I am asking is because my vet after giving the last dose of vaccines about 2weeks ago, when I asked if to deworm the puppy, she said 'no need'.
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by logadims: 7:40pm On Apr 04, 2017
Spy360:

Ok.

Why I am asking is because my vet after giving the last dose of vaccines about 2weeks ago, when I asked if to deworm the puppy, she said 'no need'.
......... hope I was able to answer your questions?
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by Spy360(m): 8:52pm On Apr 04, 2017
logadims:
......... hope I was able to answer your questions?
Yes. Thanks.
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by logadims: 9:40pm On Apr 04, 2017
Spy360:
Yes. Thanks.
you welcome sir!
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by logadims: 1:16pm On Apr 05, 2017
smiley
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by btma(m): 4:54pm On Apr 05, 2017
Nice write up.
Regular dog grooming will also help to keep ticks, fleas ... away.
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by btma(m): 4:59pm On Apr 05, 2017
Spy360:

Ok.

Why I am asking is because my vet after giving the last dose of vaccines about 2weeks ago, when I asked if to deworm[color=#006600][/color] the puppy, she said 'no need'.

If your vet is a real / qualified vet please trust her judgment.
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by logadims: 5:54pm On Apr 05, 2017
btma:
Nice write up.
Regular dog grooming will also help to keep ticks, fleas ... away.
No, regular de-worming won't keep ticks and fleas away but regular fumigation/ bathing of your dogs and also keeping your environment clean will keep them not only away but very far.
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by logadims: 7:27am On Apr 06, 2017
btma:

If your vet is a real / qualified vet please trust her judgment.
you're right. but sometimes, the advice of experienced breeder/dog lovers is good cus they are the ones with the *experience*
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by logadims: 7:34am On Apr 13, 2017
Re: Ten(10) Tips For Taking Care Of Your Dog by Dr. Stuart Nelson, Jr., DVM by charlie34: 7:05am On Jan 12, 2022
The Irish Otterhound is a very active dog with lots of energy. The large head and legs can easily get into mischief, but it is also an excellent hunting companion. Source for more about Otterhound Supplies Archives - Otterhound.dog.

(1) (Reply)

Picture of 7months Pure Gsd For Sale in Benin city / What Is The Breed Of Your Dog? / Urgent Help Nairaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.