Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,853 members, 7,810,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:16 AM

Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow (45247 Views)

My Advice To Those Still Into MMM.. / WOW...MMM Is Paying Part 2016 Mavro...serious Matching Today...pix / MMM Posts Christmas Greeting. Angry Participants React (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by mrkels(m): 10:00pm On Jan 15, 2017
Its your spare money - I know .

I have to mind my business - I know .

Its not my money - I know .

My opinion wont bring down the price of dollar in the market - I know .

I am Anti - MMM - I know .

I dont want you all to progress - I know .

Together you can change the world - I know

But my good people of God . I also know that if you walk into any bank to pay money into any1's account tomorrow monday morning , that money would never come back to you . this i promise you .

The only way MMM can come back to life is if The number 1 guilder Ugorji starts PH-ing his own personal money .

One guilder told me GH sometimes gets to 600M or more .

Imagine who would bring money to fill that bucket ? Me ? You ? Ugorji

Even if you place a gun in my head i would not put any money in the system .

Count your losses and move on .

Nigerians do it a lot , its just sad now that we are doing it to ourselves now .

100 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by oladipo322(m): 10:10pm On Jan 15, 2017
am still waiting to be match oooooo

13 Likes

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by tonex2: 10:11pm On Jan 15, 2017
the problem with Nigeria is that the population is too much.......

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jan 15, 2017
cheesy cool
Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by mrkels(m): 10:12pm On Jan 15, 2017
History

Russia

MMM was established in 1989 by Sergei Mavrodi, his brother Vyacheslav Mavrodi, and Olga Melnikova. The name of the company was taken from the first letters of the three founders' surnames.

Initially, the company imported computers and office equipment. In January 1992, tax police accused MMM of tax evasion, leading to the collapse of MMM-bank, and causing the company to have difficulty obtaining financing to support its operations. Faced with difficulties in funding its foreign trade, the company switched to the financial sector. It offered American stocks to Russian investors, but met with little success. Later, MMM-Invest was created for the purpose of collecting vouchers during privatisation. This effort was similarly unsuccessful.

MMM created its successful Ponzi scheme in 1994. The company started attracting money from private investors, promising annual returns of up to one thousand percent. It is unclear whether a Ponzi scheme was Mavrodi's initial intention, in so far as such extravagant returns might have been possible during the Russian hyperinflation in such commerce as import-export.

MMM grew rapidly. In February 1994, the company reported dividends of 1,000%, and started an aggressive TV ad campaign. Since the shares were not quoted on any stock exchange and the company itself determined the share price, it maintained a steady price growth of thousands of percent annually, leading the public to believe its shares were a safe and profitable investment.

An important factor in the scheme's success was word of mouth, but most of the company's success came from its extremely aggressive ad campaign, which appealed to the general public by using "ordinary" characters that viewers could identify with. The most famous of them, a "folk hero" of early 1994, was Lyonya Golubkov. Another notable marketing effort was a giveaway of free Metro trips to all Moscow citizens on a particular day. MMM also was one of the first well-known companies in Russia with a logotype and slogans ("Flying from shadow to the light" and others).

At its peak the company was taking in more than 100 billion rubles (about 50 million USD) each day from the sale of its shares to the public. Thus, the cashflow turnover at the MMM central office in Moscow was so high that it could not be estimated. The management started to count money in roomfuls (1 roomful of money, 2 roomfuls of money, etc.).

Regular publication in the media of the rising MMM share price led President Boris Yeltsin to issue a decree in June 1994 prohibiting financial institutions from publicising their expected income.

The success of MMM in attracting investors led to the creation of other similar companies, including Tibet, Chara, Khoper-Invest, Selenga, Telemarket, and Germes. All of these companies were characterised by aggressive television advertising and extremely high promised rates of return. One company promised annual returns of 30,000%.[citation needed]

On July 22, 1994, the police closed the offices of MMM for tax evasion. The company attempted to continue the scheme for a few days after but soon ceased operations. At that point, Invest-Consulting, one of the company's subsidiaries, owed more than 50 billion rubles in taxes (USD 26 million), and MMM itself owed between 100 billion and 3 trillion rubles to the investors (from USD 50 million to USD 1.5 billion). In the aftermath, at least 50 investors, having lost all of their money, committed suicide.[citation needed]

Several organizations of "deceived investors" made efforts to recover their lost investments, but Sergei Mavrodi manipulated their indignation and directed it at the government. In August 1994 Mavrodi was arrested for tax evasion. However, he was soon elected to the Russian State Duma, with the support of the "deceived investors". He argued that the government, not MMM, was responsible for people losing their money, and promised to initiate a pay-back program. The amount ultimately paid back was minuscule compared to the amount owed.

In October 1995, the Duma cancelled Mavrodi's right to immunity as a deputy. In 1996, he tried to run for Russia's presidency, but most of the signatures he received were rejected. MMM declared bankruptcy on September 22, 1997.

While it was believed that Sergei Mavrodi left Russia and moved to the United States, it is possible that he stayed in Moscow, using his money to change apartments regularly and employ a group of former special agents.

Mavrodi was found and arrested in 2003. While in custody, Mavrodi was given until January 31, 2006 to read the documents in his fraud case against him (the criminal case consisted of 650 volumes, each 250-270 pages long). At the end of April 2007, Mavrodi was convicted of fraud, and given a sentence of four and a half years. Since he had already spent over four years in custody, he was released less than a month later, on May 22, 2007.

The MMM scandal led to increased regulation of the Russian stock market, but the legacy of the fraud led many to become extremely suspicious of any joint stock companies.

Stock Generation

With the help of a distant relative he started, Stock Generation Ltd., another pyramid scheme based around trading non-existent companies' stocks in a form of the "stock exchange game" on the company's site, stockgeneration.com. Despite a bold-letter warning on the main page that the site was not a real stock exchange, between 20,000 and 275,000 people, according to various estimates, fell for the promised 200% returns and lost their money. According to U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, losses of victims were at least USD 5.5 million.

South Africa

In 2015, MMM began operating in South Africa with the same business model as MMM-2011, claiming a "30% per month" return through a "social financial network". The group was identified as a possible pyramid scheme by the National Consumer Commission and accounts of clients were later frozen by Capitec Bank. In response to mounting criticism and official investigations by state authorities in 2016, supporters of the South African MMM scheme staged a protest march in Johannesburg and had started up again in late November 2016.

Nigeria

In November 2015, MMM launched a website targeting the Nigerian audience, also claiming a "30% per month" return including other acquirable bonuses. The entity was self-described as a "mutual aid fund where ordinary people help each other." 2.4 million people had signed up by late 2016, with the country's unemployed as primary targets.Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has confirmed that they are monitoring the scheme. On the 13th of December, MMM announced the freezing of all members' accounts due to systems overload and the negative attention brought on by the Government and mass media, leading to wide spread panic in the Nation and even attempted suicides.[ On the 14th of December, LASEMA (Lagos State Emergency Management Agency) of Lagos State pleaded with Lagosians to dial their emergency number if they spot anyone trying to commit suicide. LASEMA took this action due to the number of suicides MMM caused in Russia

Zimbabwe

In July 2015, MMM East Africa, launched subsidiary "MMM Global Zimbabwe" targeting the Zimbabwe population.MMM offered it's participants "30% per month" return on all investments. It soon became widely popular in Urban areas of Zimbabwe, The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe warned it's citizens to stay clear of the program as it could be a fraudulent scheme. On September 2016, MMM Global Zimbabwe issued a freeze on all accounts, speculations suggest that this occurred due to a fall in number of participants. On 5 September 2016, all MMM accounts were unfrozen, and members were encouraged by MMM to continue "investing" their money, however the MMM unfreeze came with a catch; Members would get an 80% loss of their available funds should they decide to withdraw their funds.This made some participants let their funds remain in the program while others withdrew their funds to suffer an 80% loss of their money "invested". This affected 66,000 Zimbabweans and caused some economic instability.

China

In January 2016, the Chinese government banned MMM on the grounds that it is a pyramid scheme and it is not registered in the country (since a fraudulent scheme cannot be registered).

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by gentle007(m): 10:41pm On Jan 15, 2017
oladipo322:
am still waiting to be match oooooo
And u r broadcasting it on NL like it will help. Good luck.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by matrix199(m): 4:58am On Jan 16, 2017
It's a case of people begging a smaller fighter who has lost one or two teeth to give up, but his stubborness and low intelligence wouldn't let him. So he continues the fight with the much bigger and smarter fighter till he loses all his teeth.

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by Nobody: 6:19am On Jan 16, 2017
OP, go and sleep. your statements shows you do not know about the rules of mmm. most of your postulations are obviously based on hearsay meaning you are not a participant.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by MrIcredible: 7:17am On Jan 16, 2017
cheesy
Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by gbegemaster(m): 7:17am On Jan 16, 2017
I think we've tried for people on this MMM issue. Anyone who wants to participate should go ahead.

I bet you that a large percentage of participants that have been burned by MMM are ready to get out.

Let the die hard participants be the means through which repentant ones escape.

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by MrIcredible: 7:17am On Jan 16, 2017
Okay

1 Like 1 Share

MMM pays

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by 2tek: 7:18am On Jan 16, 2017
mmm: Together we will change the world.

2tek replies an MMM ANTAGONIST--- maclatunji

The following are my questions to the subscribers to MMM popularly called Mavrodians.
here are the answers from my understanding.

1. Where do you think the money you are collecting through MMM is coming from?

MMM claims not to be a business and not an investment, so where do you think the 30% return which excites you so much is coming from?

ANSWER:the 30% comes from traffic generated from the website,money donated by new members, money re-donated by old members and help from other countries. it is ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE for ALL these 4 conditions not to occur. MARK ZUCKERBERG, the owner of Facebook is the 5th or 6th richest in the world and one of the ways he gets his money is through traffic generated by Facebook. MMM is currently in over 120 countries of the world with over 200 million participants.

2. Do you know what a Ponzi scheme is?

I have to ask this question because of those who defend MMM with the claim that they have made money from it. To be the clear, a minority will make money from Ponzi schemes being the early adopters that help to create the exponential growth. However, the latter subscribers are the ones that lose greatly. If you understand this, you will not present this argument as evidence for MMM not being a fraud.

ANSWER:BIG LIE.The early adopters will pay the newcomers. the next set of newcomers will pay the early adopters and it continues like that. its a circle that will never end. Money is redistributed among members of MMM on the principle of gratuitousness, benevolence and reciprocity. MMM members donate FREELY to each other. Nobody was forced to join MMM. We are aware of the risks both implicit and explicit. No man has ever succeeded financially without taking CALCULATED RISKS.

3. Where did you get the money you invested in MMM from?

You could not use that money in any legitimate business?

I ask this question because many MMM subscribers behave as if they were incapable of earning money before MMM came.

ANSWER:A good number of MMM subscribers are gainfully employed and have normal businesses. Remember, There is nothing wrong in having an alternative source of income. Remember, we have DANGOTE CEMENT, DANGOTE SUGAR, DANGOTE RICE FARM and now in the pipeline - DANGOTE REFINERY.

4. Is it that you don’t understand that governments across the world are duty-bound not to allow a Ponzi scheme started by an ex-convict that has scammed people across the world operate freely within their countries?

This one is self-explanatory, Sergey Mavrodi the main brain behind MMM is an ex-convict. He got convicted for scamming Russians with a precursor scheme to MMM.

[b]ANSWER: Point of correction-MMM has never defrauded anyone. MMM became so popular in RUSSIA and was controlling one third of the total money in russia at a time, so the government became jealous and decided to loot the peoples money using 17 trucks to carry/loot cash from MMM OFFICES. That is the main reason MMM doesn't have a CENTRAL ACCOUNT where money can easily be stolen.The government of Russia defrauded the participants,not MMM. They claimed SERGEI MAVRODI/MMM evaded tax but MMM/SERGEI MAVRODI stood his ground telling/educating the government oppressors that MMM is not a business that should pay tax. MMM is just a community of people donating/helping each other with their spare cash. DO you pax tax to the government on the spare money you donate to your brother or neighbour or give out as charity? MMM has come to destroy the current unfair and unjust financial world order/institutions, so don't expect the government,CBN,SEC, etc to be happy. MMM has come to liberate people from financial bondage and servitude. The financial APOCALYPSE is inevitable. MMM servers(cloud servers) are not located in NIGERIA, so the government CAN NOT STOP MMM. the same way the government can not stop facebook,youtube,twitter etc.[/b]

5. Explain how MMM is a revolutionary idea that commercial banking should be afraid of?

MMM subcribers are quick to tag banks as stealing from their customers while MMM is the solution for the masses. Curiously enough, they pay into each other’s bank accounts; curious to say the least.

ANSWER:MMM gives 30% every 30days which the banks CAN NOT give. MMM gives 10% referral bonus. NO serious MMM participant will take loan from any bank again. No serious MMM participant will maintain any fixed deposit in the bank again. No serious MMM participant will buy any dubious, non performing shares again.

6. Do you understand that wealth is created based on the value you create not through this system operated by a few people to rob people of their money while leaving them in the lurch?

Let us say all of us joined MMM, where would productive output come from?

ANSWER: MMM does not stop anyone who is serious from being productive. MMM will in fact assist to provide the financial boost needed for people to be more productive. MANY MMM participants are gainfully employed and engage in various productive businesses and entrepreneurial ventures.

7. Did you anticipate that your ‘investment’ (sorry, your ‘Mavros’) could be frozen without you having any say on what happens next?

I am sure many ‘Mavrodians’ did not expect this December debacle, but we are here.

ANSWER: PAUSE MODE/FREEZING OF ACCOUNTS is one of the strategies employed by MMM for STABILITY AND SUSTAINABILITY. its not a new strategy, only those who didn't read/research well about MMM will claim ignorance. THe number of participants GHing*(getting help or withdrawing money) from the system should balance with the number of participants PHing*(providing help or depositing money) otherwise a PAUSE MODE is activated which normally lasts from 1-2months. MMM has lasted for 5years in its current form since 2011, and that is one of the strategies adopted over the years. it was adopted in south africa (www.http://rsa-mmm.co/ ) and zimbabwe http://ea-mmm(DOT)net/ and the MMM in both countries is doing fine now. Even banks couldn't pay many customers this PAST festive season. ATMs were dried, with no cash in them for people during yuletide season. Is that not a form of PAUSE MODE?

8. Do you agree that as a promoter of the scheme, you are quite dubious because you are seeking to reap bountifully at the expense of others when the scheme crashes?

Note I wrote ‘when’ not ‘if’

ANSWER: OGA, MMM CAN NOT and i repeat CAN NOT crash. The worst that can happen is a pause mode/re-start. A pause mode is not a crash. my people perish for lack of knowledge. It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of the needle than for MMM to crash. MMM is an ideology. MMM is like religion, religion CAN NOT CRASH. The day an individual dies, his own MMM or religion has CRASHED. Everybody in the world CAN NOT die at the same time.In a pause mode, MMM will manually calculate how much each individual has earned from the system, those who have made 'profit' already will have their old mavros/money frozen and released gradually, but the poor,newcomers or 1st timers will be queued up to be paid first by the system followed by others. thereby ensuring that NOBODY looses money. and the system PH/GH RATIO will balance in time.

9. Do you not worry that you could have a hand in the death or grievous harm happening to people who could lose money from MMM and become suicidal?

We already have reports of some people taking poison because their money got frozen this December.

ANSWER: MMM is sincere and transparent, hence the WARNING to ALL participants to participate with their spare money. This is CLEARLY WRITTEN on the programs website home page. MMM participants are adults responsible for their actions.

10. Do you understand that you are effectively using time that you could use for productive activity to promote a questionable scheme at best?

If you understand that time lost is irrecoverable, why waste it?

ANSWER: MMM is not a questionable scheme. MMM is an ideology that is changing lives of millions of people around the world. MMM is bridging the gap between the rich and the poor. If any adult decides to dedicate few hours or days to donate his/her spare money to charity or a neighbour in need, or teach people how to do same, do u consider that wasteful? MMM is helping humanity, that is CERTAINLY NOT WASTEFUL.

Your answers and feedback are quite welcome.

Source: http://www.opinions.ng/top-10-questions-mmm-subscribers-mavrodians-answer/

31 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by ANIEXTY(m): 7:18am On Jan 16, 2017
*My Story*
After MMM had frozen their account by december, the person i was supposed to GH from since november (which i reported him) delayed my H until December 18th (MMM account still frozen) and then he paid me and was apologising for paying me late.
It was like a dream when i saw the alert on my phone, i ran to the bank with my ATM card to confirm (cus i was wondering if the guy never heard that MMM had frozen), lo and behold it was true, i just stand there withdraw all i no waste time. "MMM pays" E no mean say i go do am again (after the guy almost gave me heartattack by not paying me at the right time) but i still thank GOD he payed...

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by engrjosefz(m): 7:18am On Jan 16, 2017
M. u. m. u. POst

4 Likes

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by AfonjaGuy: 7:18am On Jan 16, 2017
MMM issue no dey tire Nairalands, RUBBISH lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by jericco1(m): 7:18am On Jan 16, 2017
Most Nigerians have fairly used brain.

1 Like

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by Nobody: 7:19am On Jan 16, 2017

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by MrIcredible: 7:19am On Jan 16, 2017
[s]
mrkels:

But my good people of God . I also know that if you walk into any bank to pay money into any1's account tomorrow monday morning , that money would never come back to you . this i promise you .

The only way MMM can come back to life is if The number 1 guilder Ugorji starts PH-ing his own personal money .

Nigerians do it a lot , its just sad now that we are doing it to ourselves now .

[/s]
Bîtches be wasting productive time while we get paid grin
Get a life dude.

No be ya papa money.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by emmanuel2015: 7:19am On Jan 16, 2017
Advice to does listening to Nairaland deceiving people about MMM, dem de advertise bitcoin 4 their site n saying shit about it, if u listen to nairaland just know that ur poverty is like an estate.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by Franklinezenwa: 7:20am On Jan 16, 2017
Op simply mind ur business and stop poke nosing.

6 Likes

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by Brugo(m): 7:20am On Jan 16, 2017
Lol. They cannot listen.
Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by OKEMKPI: 7:20am On Jan 16, 2017
mrkels:

Joblessness can manifest in many forms,ur write up is just an example

17 Likes

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by anytexy: 7:20am On Jan 16, 2017
What is this one staying? Mtcheeeew!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by sod09(m): 7:21am On Jan 16, 2017
Leave dem na
Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by diportivo: 7:21am On Jan 16, 2017
Actually,

12 Likes

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by MrIcredible: 7:22am On Jan 16, 2017
[s]
mrkels:

[/s]
Wu your post epp grin grin grin
Just because you're broke and you can't afford to PH grin

25 Likes

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by DrSuleiman100: 7:22am On Jan 16, 2017
A
Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by MrIcredible: 7:23am On Jan 16, 2017
[s]
mrkels:
History

Russia

MMM was established in 1989 by Sergei Mavrodi, his brother Vyacheslav Mavrodi, and Olga Melnikova. The name of the company was taken from the first letters of the three founders' surnames.

Initially, the company imported computers and office equipment. In January 1992, tax police accused MMM of tax evasion, leading to the collapse of MMM-bank, and causing the company to have difficulty obtaining financing to support its operations. Faced with difficulties in funding its foreign trade, the company switched to the financial sector. It offered American stocks to Russian investors, but met with little success. Later, MMM-Invest was created for the purpose of collecting vouchers during privatisation. This effort was similarly unsuccessful.

MMM created its successful Ponzi scheme in 1994. The company started attracting money from private investors, promising annual returns of up to one thousand percent. It is unclear whether a Ponzi scheme was Mavrodi's initial intention, in so far as such extravagant returns might have been possible during the Russian hyperinflation in such commerce as import-export.

MMM grew rapidly. In February 1994, the company reported dividends of 1,000%, and started an aggressive TV ad campaign. Since the shares were not quoted on any stock exchange and the company itself determined the share price, it maintained a steady price growth of thousands of percent annually, leading the public to believe its shares were a safe and profitable investment.

An important factor in the scheme's success was word of mouth, but most of the company's success came from its extremely aggressive ad campaign, which appealed to the general public by using "ordinary" characters that viewers could identify with. The most famous of them, a "folk hero" of early 1994, was Lyonya Golubkov. Another notable marketing effort was a giveaway of free Metro trips to all Moscow citizens on a particular day. MMM also was one of the first well-known companies in Russia with a logotype and slogans ("Flying from shadow to the light" and others).

At its peak the company was taking in more than 100 billion rubles (about 50 million USD) each day from the sale of its shares to the public. Thus, the cashflow turnover at the MMM central office in Moscow was so high that it could not be estimated. The management started to count money in roomfuls (1 roomful of money, 2 roomfuls of money, etc.).

Regular publication in the media of the rising MMM share price led President Boris Yeltsin to issue a decree in June 1994 prohibiting financial institutions from publicising their expected income.

The success of MMM in attracting investors led to the creation of other similar companies, including Tibet, Chara, Khoper-Invest, Selenga, Telemarket, and Germes. All of these companies were characterised by aggressive television advertising and extremely high promised rates of return. One company promised annual returns of 30,000%.[citation needed]

On July 22, 1994, the police closed the offices of MMM for tax evasion. The company attempted to continue the scheme for a few days after but soon ceased operations. At that point, Invest-Consulting, one of the company's subsidiaries, owed more than 50 billion rubles in taxes (USD 26 million), and MMM itself owed between 100 billion and 3 trillion rubles to the investors (from USD 50 million to USD 1.5 billion). In the aftermath, at least 50 investors, having lost all of their money, committed suicide.[citation needed]

Several organizations of "deceived investors" made efforts to recover their lost investments, but Sergei Mavrodi manipulated their indignation and directed it at the government. In August 1994 Mavrodi was arrested for tax evasion. However, he was soon elected to the Russian State Duma, with the support of the "deceived investors". He argued that the government, not MMM, was responsible for people losing their money, and promised to initiate a pay-back program. The amount ultimately paid back was minuscule compared to the amount owed.

In October 1995, the Duma cancelled Mavrodi's right to immunity as a deputy. In 1996, he tried to run for Russia's presidency, but most of the signatures he received were rejected. MMM declared bankruptcy on September 22, 1997.

While it was believed that Sergei Mavrodi left Russia and moved to the United States, it is possible that he stayed in Moscow, using his money to change apartments regularly and employ a group of former special agents.

Mavrodi was found and arrested in 2003. While in custody, Mavrodi was given until January 31, 2006 to read the documents in his fraud case against him (the criminal case consisted of 650 volumes, each 250-270 pages long). At the end of April 2007, Mavrodi was convicted of fraud, and given a sentence of four and a half years. Since he had already spent over four years in custody, he was released less than a month later, on May 22, 2007.

The MMM scandal led to increased regulation of the Russian stock market, but the legacy of the fraud led many to become extremely suspicious of any joint stock companies.

Stock Generation

With the help of a distant relative he started, Stock Generation Ltd., another pyramid scheme based around trading non-existent companies' stocks in a form of the "stock exchange game" on the company's site, stockgeneration.com. Despite a bold-letter warning on the main page that the site was not a real stock exchange, between 20,000 and 275,000 people, according to various estimates, fell for the promised 200% returns and lost their money. According to U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, losses of victims were at least USD 5.5 million.

South Africa

In 2015, MMM began operating in South Africa with the same business model as MMM-2011, claiming a "30% per month" return through a "social financial network". The group was identified as a possible pyramid scheme by the National Consumer Commission and accounts of clients were later frozen by Capitec Bank. In response to mounting criticism and official investigations by state authorities in 2016, supporters of the South African MMM scheme staged a protest march in Johannesburg and had started up again in late November 2016.

Nigeria

In November 2015, MMM launched a website targeting the Nigerian audience, also claiming a "30% per month" return including other acquirable bonuses. The entity was self-described as a "mutual aid fund where ordinary people help each other." 2.4 million people had signed up by late 2016, with the country's unemployed as primary targets.Nigeria's Economic and Financial Crimes Commission has confirmed that they are monitoring the scheme. On the 13th of December, MMM announced the freezing of all members' accounts due to systems overload and the negative attention brought on by the Government and mass media, leading to wide spread panic in the Nation and even attempted suicides.[ On the 14th of December, LASEMA (Lagos State Emergency Management Agency) of Lagos State pleaded with Lagosians to dial their emergency number if they spot anyone trying to commit suicide. LASEMA took this action due to the number of suicides MMM caused in Russia

Zimbabwe

In July 2015, MMM East Africa, launched subsidiary "MMM Global Zimbabwe" targeting the Zimbabwe population.MMM offered it's participants "30% per month" return on all investments. It soon became widely popular in Urban areas of Zimbabwe, The Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe warned it's citizens to stay clear of the program as it could be a fraudulent scheme. On September 2016, MMM Global Zimbabwe issued a freeze on all accounts, speculations suggest that this occurred due to a fall in number of participants. On 5 September 2016, all MMM accounts were unfrozen, and members were encouraged by MMM to continue "investing" their money, however the MMM unfreeze came with a catch; Members would get an 80% loss of their available funds should they decide to withdraw their funds.This made some participants let their funds remain in the program while others withdrew their funds to suffer an 80% loss of their money "invested". This affected 66,000 Zimbabweans and caused some economic instability.

China

In January 2016, the Chinese government banned MMM on the grounds that it is a pyramid scheme and it is not registered in the country (since a fraudulent scheme cannot be registered).
[/s]
Copy and paste nonsense

Effect of unemployment

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice To Those Mmm's Paying Into Accounts Tomorrow by djkool248: 7:23am On Jan 16, 2017
R u actually passionate about mmm participants
Or u just want traffic
Those who r doin it ain't complaining
U carry am 4 head like say u care
We both know DAT u dont

14 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List Of Nigeria Registrars And Their Addresses-updated / The Meltdown Of The Nigerian Capital Market: Causes And Consequences / Man Accused Of MMM Fraud Surfaces, Says He Didn't Abscond

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.