Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,062 members, 7,828,754 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO (26076 Views)

Lagos Police Reunite "One-Chance" Victims With Family (Photos) / Dolapo Badmus: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Mobile Phone / Six Cultists Who Killed Fashola Arrested By Lagos Police (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by softtouch2(m): 2:23pm On Jan 17, 2017
Her words is contradicting, what is the meaning of "REASONABLE GROUND"?

Anything "PRIVATE" requires "WARRANT" before search, whenever there's reasonable ground suffice.

Therefore, this woman qualification as Police is questionable.

But Nigerian Police are official-criminals instead of "warrant", they use their guns to "rob" you in the name of search.

3 Likes

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by ibolomo(m): 2:33pm On Jan 17, 2017
7Alexander:
Madam Dolapo, what kind of vague statement is this? You should have told us what constitutes 'reasonable ground'.

And to you Nigerians, believe this woman at your own peril, Nigerian policemen dobnot value lives, they will shoot you and absolutely nothing will happen.

Even of you want to show you know your rights, remember that your life is more important to your family than your rights
I recently read the Nigerian police Act, and the number of vague, ambiguous and open-ended statements is just baffling. I wonder if it was people that formulated it or goats. there are so many loopholes both lawyers and the police could use for and against you in the court of law. There are also some unguided provisions that allow for the "legal" harassment of the public

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Buharimustgo: 2:34pm On Jan 17, 2017
Please tell your men,and don't bore us with such rhetorics

3 Likes

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jan 17, 2017
What is the punishment given to any police man who go against the directive.

1 Like

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by mousco(m): 2:38pm On Jan 17, 2017
Warri police will form deaf n also blind to this regard
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Richnero(m): 2:41pm On Jan 17, 2017
nnachukz:
OK.
NB: Don't drag an ordinary phone with a Nigerian police who is with his riffle. Use your brain, they don't value life.
A dead man, has no direct benefit from justice.
If you die because of phone, na your life you waste.

Nkwucha aburo ujo.
seconded
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by ceejay80s(m): 2:42pm On Jan 17, 2017
JUST ALOW DEM TO CHECK UR PHONE AND PRICK SEF IF DEY LIKE, ITS FOR UR OWN GOOD OR THEY WILL JUST SHOOT U AND TAG U AN ARMED ROBBER, Lagos Police PRO IS JUST TALKING TRASH, HE IS THE SAME PERSON THAT U WILL CALL ON PHONE AND COMPLAIN THAT A SERGENT SHOT AN INNOCENT PERSON AND HE WILL SAY HE KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT IT
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Deilluminator(m): 2:44pm On Jan 17, 2017
nonstan:
Let's be clear here, if you are stopped by a police in a lonely place, cooperate, even if they want your watch or iPhone , give them,..that's just my advise.
sey they don become arm robbers abi?
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Bustincole(m): 2:44pm On Jan 17, 2017
ahn han, Na wish kind mumu talk be dis...

wen ur boys dey do anyhow wen u refuse to give dem N200 as egunje...

Now u are telling us not to allow dem check our fone, wen dey can do and undo wit dare tyrant attitude

mainwhile dey cant help any situation in Naija... instead dey will add more... Awon oloshi fellows

2 Likes

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jan 17, 2017
softtouch2:
Her words is contradicting, what is the meaning of "REASONABLE GROUND"?

Anything "PRIVATE" requires "WARRANT" before search, whenever there's reasonable ground suffice.

Therefore, this woman qualification as Police is questionable.

But Nigerian Police are official-criminals instead of "warrant", they use their guns to "rob" you in the name of search.
+1
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Barigaboy(m): 2:50pm On Jan 17, 2017
Wetin concern police with laws. U don't obey them when they demand for your phone then u will face another case u don't no about.
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 17, 2017
ha ha ha cheesy only in 9ja grin since when do police need 2 check phones!?
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by greatermax77(m): 2:57pm On Jan 17, 2017
Madam, I totally disagree with what you said. if the Police has the power to arrest & detain, the also have the power to search the house, premesis cars & phones of any person under investigation or any person suspected to have committed any offence.
Most of these statement is said to calm the nerve of pressmen to discourage them from further questions.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Nobody: 3:00pm On Jan 17, 2017
Hmmmmmm okay on. But who will drag phone with an armed police man? A dead man has no privacy. It is only the living that can keep privacy just as only the living can praise God
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Sir2rexninefour(m): 3:01pm On Jan 17, 2017
nnachukz:
OK.
NB: Don't drag an ordinary phone with a Nigerian police who is with his riffle. Use your brain, they don't value life.
A dead man, has no direct benefit from justice.
If you die because of phone, na your life you waste.

Nkwucha aburo ujo.

Lolzzzzz grin grin grin
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by onyxo76(m): 3:05pm On Jan 17, 2017
If police see my kain phone out of pity them go contribute their egunje for the day and tell me to go better one
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by DreamChoice(m): 3:07pm On Jan 17, 2017
Ladies will love this. Make some cool extra cash by becoming a distributor of the fast trending ladies eyebrows stencil. Get your eyebrow done in just one minute with 3 in 1 Eyebrow Stencil. No more delay to work and parties with 3 in 1 Eyebrow Stencil. It has 3 different shapes in a pack.
It cost N1000 in retail per pack and 8200 for 12pcks in wholesale price.

Distributors by 12 packs wholesale for N8200 and after selling at N1000 per pack you know how much profit they make. The more you sell the more money you make on a daily basis. You can sell to friends, family, neighbors, church members, work colleagues, school mates etc.
It is a fast moving product that every lady needs so you are guaranteed to make good money.

To order kindly call or text me on +234-905-985-8188

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by abike12(f): 3:08pm On Jan 17, 2017
obamabinladen:
"Except if there is reasonable ground to do so".

What are the reasonable grounds?.

Besides the reasonable grounds should mean they get a warrant to search it. These people are not ready to move with the times

2 Likes

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Rapmoney(m): 3:08pm On Jan 17, 2017
Meanwhile, for accommodation issues in Warri and environs, visit:

https://www.nairaland.com/2752917/contact-class-properties-investments-accomodation
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Vacora(m): 3:10pm On Jan 17, 2017
mantosa:
Madam PRO did not do justice to that question. "Reasonable ground" is too vague.

It should be a Yes or No answer. In Nigeria, we suspect each other so meaning the police have every right to search our phones then.

Asking her to explain " reasonable grounds " is not the job of the police. It is subjective and should be best left for a competent court or legal experts. It is a slippery slope when officers have to explain what reasonable grounds are. Ask yourself given the circumstances if it reasonable to expect the officer to search your phone?

I agree with you. The PRO does not appear to have an idea what she is talking about, she is not even coherent nor do she seem to have a grasp of the legislation or of the police powers! how the hell do they appoint these people?

General Rule - Can a police officer search your phone? Answer - No.

Exceptions - " Lawfully" arrested for a relevant offence and evidence relating to that offence is believed to be on the device or under a court warrant.

Police officers are not forensic or IT experts and should not be allowed to go through your phone or belongings without the legal powers. You could make allegation against the officer that they tampered with or altered the evidence in question.

This is not a carte blance advice. I would advice one deals with the matter safely and return to your loved ones in one piece especially in 9ja. At least cowards still get to go home and plan their next course of action afterwards. A dead man does not have that option.

5 Likes

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Royalfurnitures: 3:10pm On Jan 17, 2017
What if they are armed and threaten to shoot if you don't comply knowing fully well about accidental discharges in this country?

Please check out my signature for quality and durable furniture
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by charlesadams926(m): 3:11pm On Jan 17, 2017
NetBizguy:
Yahoo Boys this is not a guarantee to go on with hustling for Magas
.... go to hell!!!!
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Royalfurnitures: 3:11pm On Jan 17, 2017
What if they are armed and threaten to shoot if you don't comply knowing fully well about accidental discharges in this country?

Please check out my signature for quality and durable furniture
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Sir2rexninefour(m): 3:12pm On Jan 17, 2017
For me, I can only resist the NIGERIAN POLICE FORCE, the day that the "FORCE" is removed from their nomenclature, and they've been sensitized, trained, teached, brewed, and instructed against the use of, application of, intimidating with, and terrorizing with "FORCE"!

Until then, no one wrestles over rights with trigger-happy NPF officers without "stories that touch the heart"!

1 Like

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by 2019ATIKU(m): 3:25pm On Jan 17, 2017
Since 1821 the police have always been our friend .but that is the scam of the century. ATIKU we know
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by teabully(m): 3:29pm On Jan 17, 2017
Haaaaaaa, AUNTY Dolapo more lies to your tongue. I rest my case.
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by uviesa(m): 3:31pm On Jan 17, 2017
Dem put me for counter for six hours because of my techno phone along seme boarder road demanding 500k

1 Like

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by topzeezo: 3:31pm On Jan 17, 2017
Police lol
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by jbloggs(m): 3:31pm On Jan 17, 2017
mantosa:
Madam PRO did not do justice to that question. "Reasonable ground" is too vague.

It should be a Yes or No answer. In Nigeria, we suspect each other so meaning the police have every right to search our phones then.

Just my thought also.
What is the reasonable ground?
While on the road, Police would be asking to check your phone is not a reasonable groind.
i see d idiots harassing young boys on the road.
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 17, 2017

In her words,

'Your phone is private, it's your private property because people do alot of private stuffs on their mobile phones so it's wrong. Police officers have no right to do that except there is a reasonable ground to do so'.

'Reasonable ground' is a very nebulous term. Nothing solved.

1 Like

Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by andyanders: 3:42pm On Jan 17, 2017
winkmart:
For a long time, Nigerians have asked if it's right for police officer to search your mobile phones during a routing stop and search exercise on the road. Now, the Lagos State Police PRO, Dolap Badmus has shed more light on the issue saying it is wrong.

In her words,

'Your phone is private, it's your private property because people do alot of private stuffs on their mobile phones so it's wrong. Police officers have no right to do that except there is a reasonable ground to do so'.

Watch the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKIa8iPvSck

[img]https://4.bp..com/-67TDInmpPSA/WH4NApXNalI/AAAAAAALbB8/k43vwMXIFAMVm9-u2kdzsnUTyfAt8Mg7ACLcB/s640/Untitled.png[/img]

http://www.blackberrybabes.com/2017/01/no-police-officer-has-right-to-check_17.html

Let her explain the reasonable doubt as she stated. When there is a clause like "reasonable ground", the official police robbers doing this would want to use that clause to buttress their reasons for wanting to search someone's phone.

It is wrong and it is wrong and should be condemned.Unless they state herein that the reasonable doubt to be when someone is accused of murder or robbery, then that clause could be used/applied during investigation. Most of these officers are robbers who are out to rob and not to investigate someone. Some policemen even when you never did anything would want to arrest one without a warrant.

I think that most of them carry out these illegal duties because their is an Oga at the back backing their action as when those they dispose them of their property, they end up taking same people to their station and I wonder if a senior officer who is in charge of that station is not aware of the action of his subordinates. Too bad.
Re: No Police Officer Has The Right To Check Your Phone - Lagos Police PRO by Burgerlomo: 3:47pm On Jan 17, 2017
Searching your phone by any cops in any advanced Countries is considered an invasion of privacy, but in Naija the case is different. O ga o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Freed Kaduna Baptist Students Reunite With Families (Photos) / #AbujaMassacre Trends On Twitter Over Video Of Soldiers Shooting At Protesters / Hajj Pilgrim Who Excreted 76 Wraps Of Cocaine Gets 10 Years Jail Term (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.