Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,324 members, 7,822,569 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:06 PM

Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack (58003 Views)

"Photos Of Luxury Vehicles Acquired By Jammeh In His Final Days" / Jammeh Of Gambia Speaks With Liberia President On Phone, Pleads On His Case / Gambians Leaving Their Country Over Imminent War As Jammeh Refuses To Step Down (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Gkemz: 5:15pm On Jan 20, 2017
Shameless man disgraced out of office. what he could've done honourably but he chose to be exited by humiliation.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by isladrasq(m): 5:24pm On Jan 20, 2017
So it's only mouth Jameeh get he don't have action you should have wait for fire for fire idiot
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Mrdecent(m): 5:26pm On Jan 20, 2017
Uncletony:

Gambia is a small state with paltry 2400 ground troops. That's the only reason ECOWAS and even Senegal is forming U.S. Jonathan is just a good man if not u would have become a refugee and he will still be in power.
Is not that easy because u dont kn my tribe... That is what it will turn to. U could have been prisoner of war by now too
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by precious1967(m): 5:33pm On Jan 20, 2017
d all titles ex-president thought a tree can make a forest. he shuned commonwealth; he cut ties wit powerful countries thinking dey ll 4give him. monkey.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by MizAijay(f): 5:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
Congratulations to the people of Gambia for you have received freedom and redemption finally.
This is CHANGE indeed.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Prechy08(m): 5:51pm On Jan 20, 2017
Austin4lif:
I dnt support the actions of Jammeh but ecowas are taking the advantage of a tiny and weak country. if Gambia is subscribing to the services of foreign soldiers for defense , ecowas will nt show this type of force.
Your head is there, if Gambia was to be Nigeria, Ghana, Cameron, egypt, Tunisia, morroco, South Africa etc and other Big Country with large Army would they have moved in swiftly?
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Kiakia(m): 6:01pm On Jan 20, 2017
thebestprice:
Embattled out-gone President Yahya Jammeh of The Gambia has asked a shift in deadline of midday to 4pm to vacate office as ECOWAS soldiers close on him.
Government sources said the request was made when the leaders of Guinea and Mauritania arrived in the capital, Banjul, in a last-ditch diplomatic effort to get him to cede power.
A regional military force that crossed the border in support of his democratically elected successor, Adama Barrow, was awaiting orders on Friday.
Marcel Alain de Souza, chair of the west African union Ecowas, said troops would force Jammeh out if he refused to leave the country.
Jammeh
The West African troops entered the Gambia on Thursday night, hours after Barrow was forced to hold his inauguration as president in Dakar, the capital of Senegal.
De Souza said the west African force, which includes tanks, has so far met no resistance.
Banjul, the capital, was deserted on Friday.
Dozens of vultures spread their wings on the large ground outside State House, and a lone cyclist, perhaps one of the few remaining tourists in the country, made the most of the empty roads.
The country’s chief of defence staff, Ousman Badjie, was seen speeding in the direction of Banjul. He has switched allegiance several times over the past month, and was celebrating with Barrow supporters in the streets last night.
It is unclear what side he and the military would take in the event of an Ecowas attack on State House, though most sources believed he was no longer with Jammeh.
The twitter handle of Charles Onyango-Obbot @cobbo3 said “ Jammeh asks for deadline extension – from midday (local time) to 4pm!
He’s not done packing #Gambia

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/gambia-finally-jammeh-surrenders-asks-shift-4pm-deadline-pack/
He has no option. In the eyes of the international community, he is no longer the President of Gambia. All those 'gra gra' about a state of emergency was a ruse. If failed to fly. All those lousy and unpatriotic legislators who purportedly extended Jammeh's rule by the so called 90 days should be recalled by their constituencies forthwith.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by charlesucheh(m): 6:09pm On Jan 20, 2017
So, all this while, he didn't know that he was supposed to pack up Ih! I see! He wanted to know if those African leaders were bluffing.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by alozie1985: 6:17pm On Jan 20, 2017
No mind the MUMU man. But I hope Buhari is taking note cos that's the way he will be booted out in 2019.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jan 20, 2017
ECOWAS countries are dangerous undecided
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by hamzeiy: 7:17pm On Jan 20, 2017
Austin4lif:
I dnt support the actions of Jammeh but ecowas are taking the advantage of a tiny and weak country. if Gambia is subscribing to the services of foreign soldiers for defense , ecowas will nt show this type of force.
abeg hekp me tell the cowards...when a strong nation like libya and egypt where in caos no body from the african block had the nerves to say anything...suddenly all the useless countries are flexing their muscle on a country with less than 1 thousand army personnels...hypocrisy

1 Like

Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by MYGRATEskillz(m): 7:26pm On Jan 20, 2017
mo' time to... fold up the white parachutes he call clothing
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Gbemini(m): 7:51pm On Jan 20, 2017
he for say Allah dey with am make bullet enter his brain now.Greedy formal president.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by darknetcom: 7:55pm On Jan 20, 2017
Austin4lif:

what makes you think we are afraid of foreign soldiers??..

in case you dont know,nigerian army was built completly to fight foreign armies...

our army was built even before the colonialits left.....and to keep them always out if they dare return...
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Horus(m): 8:19pm On Jan 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nga3QqaUmkk

Yahya Jammeh Finally Surrenders, Begs For Shift In 4pm Deadline (Full Video)
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by skedman(m): 8:20pm On Jan 20, 2017
Austin4lif:
is this ipob reasoning or just wisdom

Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Asiwaju9ja(m): 8:36pm On Jan 20, 2017
Austin4lif:

Bottom line...... Wetin ECOWAS do here GOOD? Oya answer na?
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Charly68: 8:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
Thank God he did not resist further. He should leave his country in peace so he can rest live in peace. Useless tyrant..he failed to know that God has abandoned him since the day of election .
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by nwamehn: 8:53pm On Jan 20, 2017
tammie24:
People better defend their votes in 2019

Count everything before it gets to INEC office because Buhari will do anything and everything to rig in 2019

He won't like the Jammeh treatment

The irony of the matter is that ECOWAS wouldn't have been able to do any much if the case was in Nigeria instead of Gambia. So, I don't think Buhari will be afraid of any Jammeh treatment. Who exactly would agree to fight Nigeria?
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Tarzaa(m): 8:58pm On Jan 20, 2017
This oldman is the biggest disapointment of this century! Well, thanks for saving your life and the poor Gambians.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by nwamehn: 9:03pm On Jan 20, 2017
Mrdecent:
Regret regret and regret...
For the rest of his life it would all be regret
Jonathan would be thanking God presently that he conceded peacefully

Do u think what happened in Gambia would have happened in Nigeria? I sincerely don't think so. I feel that these international bodies flex muscles on the smaller countries they can intimidate. The highest they can do is to arm rebels within to fight the government. And in this case, provided the army was loyal to him, Jonathan could have still decided to sit tight while he battled the rebels.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by nwamehn: 9:11pm On Jan 20, 2017
cosade:

This is an action that has been endorsed by the UN Security Council. Most world leaders have already congratulated President Barrow, so it's not about ECOWAS but the global community agreeing to do what is right.

But the said UN didn't move in troops, ECOWAS did, and UN wouldn't have still moved in troops if it was to be a big country like Nigeria. Highest they would do is to impose sanctions like they did against Abacha or even arm rebels to fight the government. A lot of dirty politics is played in this, boss.

1 Like

Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by nwamehn: 9:15pm On Jan 20, 2017
Uncletony:

Gambia is a small state with paltry 2400 ground troops. That's the only reason ECOWAS and even Senegal is forming U.S. Jonathan is just a good man if not u would have become a refugee and he will still be in power.

The worst is that if US opposed him, he would go to Russia or China and gain support and still remain in power for as long as the fight is on.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by nwamehn: 9:25pm On Jan 20, 2017
alozie1985:
No mind the MUMU man. But I hope Buhari is taking note cos that's the way he will be booted out in 2019.

Who exactly will boot him out? Guy, Nigeria no be Gambia o. Highest na to impose sanctions on Nigeria or arm rebels within to fight Buhari, and in that case he can still get support of other powerful countries and still sit tight.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by TERTAR: 9:29pm On Jan 20, 2017
Another chip way of getting recognision AKA. NOTICE ME..well he who laugh last,laugh best grin grin grin grin grin grin angry grin angry angry
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Nobody: 9:41pm On Jan 20, 2017
When Nigerians sends Buhari packing in 2019

Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Princeroyal: 9:59pm On Jan 20, 2017
jammeh remains the biggest coward I have seen in my life.why did he surrender since he is claiming to be stubborn,useless fool,he is among those miscreants painting Africa black.he would have stayed and be killed.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jan 20, 2017
Laughing in urhobo "huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu"

I wonder why he was claiming commando when he knows that he will surrender like a puppy later

Abeg ejo. Watching everything in 15D with my fried bottle of star.
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by rockyh(m): 10:38pm On Jan 20, 2017
I respect jammeh's Bold hrt even though he was wrong he ended up wasting ecowas time n resources.All thanks should go to the two respectable presidents that had a last minute talk with him not ecowas and their back up who wanted to intimidate him with a forceful exist cos of the size of his military personnel why not try it in Egypt when they had crisis as well
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by k9ine(m): 2:30am On Jan 21, 2017
Funny how ECOWAS acted.
Rather than send in troops, I believe it could have helped by sending justices to Gambia's Supreme Court to fastrack giving judgement on the suit filled by Jammeh challenging the election result. This would ensure that the politcal challenge is given the opportunity to be resolved by the internal democratic mechanism of The Gambia.
Most Heads of State and Government of the subregion were more concerned about Jammeh leaving office than help the country democratically. This is an unpleasant precedent that is being set, seemingly arising from Jammeh's long time in office, small geographical size, and an even tiny military.
The question is: if it were to happen in Nigeria or Ghana, would ECOWAS deploy troops without letting the Supreme Court give judgement?
Re: Gambia: Finally, Jammeh Surrenders, Asks For Shift In 4pm Deadline To Pack by k9ine(m): 2:35am On Jan 21, 2017
Egypt isn't a member of ECOWAS, I suppose you are referring to The AU.
However, they would not have tried such with Egypt, they would have allowed the courts decide, then intervene if the incumbent proves stubborn.

rockyh:
I respect jammeh's Bold hrt even though he was wrong he ended up wasting ecowas time n resources.All thanks should go to the two respectable presidents that had a last minute talk with him not ecowas and their back up who wanted to intimidate him with a forceful exist cos of the size of his military personnel why not try it in Egypt when they had crisis as well

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Netanyahu Warns Of ‘resounding Blow’ If Iran Attacks Israel / Hillary Clinton May Have Been Poisoned By Donald Trump & Putin – Doctor Warns / Adama Barrow Removes "Islamic" From Gambia's Official Name

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.