Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,849 members, 7,810,274 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:17 AM

Donald Trump's Inauguration: Live Updates. - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Donald Trump's Inauguration: Live Updates. (26699 Views)

Michelle Obama Reveals Why She Stopped Smiling At Trump’s Inauguration / Michelle Obama And Melania Trump Pose Together Ahead Of Trump's Inauguration / Donald Trump’s Inauguration Invitation Card + Full Timetable Of Events. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Donald Trump's Inauguration: Live Updates. by pchukwudi: 8:21pm On Jan 20, 2017
I got all your points. But I think you are missing one crucial factor: "cost of labour".

The very fact that those brands you mentioned are not getting their products manufactured in the US is the major factor that make those products competitive globally.

Shoot up the cost of production by massproducing, say, HP products in the US, you'd automatically lose the bulk of african and asian market.

Outsourcing is the backbone of globalization. And it's not only manufacturing that's being outsourced by American enterpreneurs, services are getting hugely outsourced too. But the good thing is that American corporations still control the bulk of the chain despite the seeming job and capital flight.

Again it's also proven that American import has a direct positive growth effect on America's services sector.

Given, lots of Americans -especially the older genetations and the less educated - are either underemployed or unemployed. But I really think that Trump's team need to do a lot of creative thinking to solve this problem. The simple approach of "buy American; Hire American" is not likely to cut it.

cstr55:

Trump is not against globalization. He is a self made-billionaire afterall and surely knows the importance.
He just wants america to stop losing jobs to china and mexico. He wants american tech firms to stop looking for cheap chinese and mexican labour at the expense of america. He wants america to ruthlessly benefit in every possible deal at the expense of everybody else.
Imagine if all the hp , apple and dell devices and all the chevrolet and ford motors were all manufactured in the US, after-all americans did the bulk of the work in the technical design. The jobs created would be superflous. That is why americans voted for him.
Though he will need to drastically reduce taxes to ensure that the prices are competitive.

1 Like

Re: Donald Trump's Inauguration: Live Updates. by cstr55: 8:31pm On Jan 20, 2017
pchukwudi:
I got all your points. But I think you are missing one crucial factor: "cost of labour".

The very fact that those brands you mentioned are not getting their products manufactured in the US is the major factor that make those products competitive globally.

Shoot up the cost of production by massproducing, say, HP products in the US, you'd automatically lose the bulk of african and asian market.

Outsourcing is the backbone of globalization. And it's not only manufacturing that's being outsourced by American enterpreneurs, services are getting hugely outsourced too. But the good thing is that American corporations still control the bulk of the chain despite the seeming job and capital flight.

Again it's also proven that American import has a direct positive growth effect on America's service sector.

Given, lots of Americans -especially the older genetations and the less educated - are either underemployed or unemployed. But I really think that Trump's team need to do a lot of creative thinking to solve this problem. The simple approach of "buy American; Hire American" is not likely to cut it.

[b] Controlling the bulk of the value chain which is the highly technical and sophisticated part is not providing enough jobs for the vulnerable majority like the high school and college drop-outs, the veterans, the aged, the soccer moms and the disabled. The raw industrial manufacturing is a huge creator of jobs in china and mexico.
Yes, i know that the highlighted are major problems, and i seriously would like to see how trump will do it.
If he is able to pull it off somehow by totally reducing taxes or granting significant tax holidays, and offering federal subsidies to counter the high cost of american labour and still keep prices globally affordable, then he would end up as the best american president in history.
It is going to be very difficult, but atleast he is talking about it and that is what americans want to hear- A president that will bring their jobs home. I also trust the fact that america has the resources to be economically inventive .
And it is also going to destroy the chinese economy forever if he pulls it off and cripple a potential rival. That is probably another motivation.[/b]
Re: Donald Trump's Inauguration: Live Updates. by pchukwudi: 8:45pm On Jan 20, 2017
Well, I really hope with you that he pulls this off as you hinted. My only fear is for Africa. Globalization is the only real hope for Africa in the near term. If Trump introduces any policy that hinders or slows down globalization, Africa will suffer it most.

[quote author=cstr55 post=52985220]
Controlling the bulk of the value chain which is the highly technical and sophisticated part is not providing enough jobs for the vulnerable majority like the high school and college drop-outs, the veterans, the aged, the soccer moms and the disabled. The raw industrial manufacturing is a huge creator of jobs in china and mexico.

Yes, i know that the highlighted are major problems, and i seriously would like to see how trump will do it.

If he is able to pull it off somehow by totally reducing taxes or granting significant tax holidays, and offering federal subsidies to counter the high cost of american labour and still keep prices globally affordable, then he would end up as the best american president in history.
It is going to be very difficult, but atleast he is talking about it and that is what americans want to hear- A president that will bring their jobs home. I also trust the fact that america has the resources to be economically inventive .

And it is also going to destroy the chinese economy forever if he pulls it off and cripple a potential rival. That is probably another motivation.

[quote]
Re: Donald Trump's Inauguration: Live Updates. by cstr55: 8:56pm On Jan 20, 2017
pchukwudi:
Well, I really hope with you that he pulls this off as you hinted. My only fear is for Africa. Globalization is the only real hope for Africa in the near term. If Trump introduces any policy that hinders or slows down globalization, Africa will suffer it most.

America first. That is why he was voted for.
Nobody gives two shitts about africa.
Even if globalization stops, smart countries on the african continent especially in the eastern and southern african axis would still develop and grow
Re: Donald Trump's Inauguration: Live Updates. by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jan 20, 2017
Inaugural parade in progress

Re: Donald Trump's Inauguration: Live Updates. by pchukwudi: 10:01pm On Jan 20, 2017
Time will tell. But globalization is too huge a treasure to sacrifice on the altar of nationalism.

Another thing you should know is that America's biggest ticket to economic viability for decades now has been her currency. Hostile and protective trade policies can force other rivals to dump USD as a treasury note - think of AIB and its over 50 allies.

Plus you don't want china to dump all its American debt overnight. There is a strong financial conspiracy and underground war against the USD. May Trump not give the enemies of freedom a valid excuse to pull the floor off of the American domination of the global finance. Already the US spends much more than it earns. And it consumes much more than it produces.

TRUMP needs tact more than threats.

cstr55:

America first. That is why he was voted for.
Nobody gives two shitts about africa.
Even if globalization stops, smart countries on the african continent especially in the eastern and southern african axis would still develop and grow

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Israel Says 21 Soldiers Killed In Gaza In Worst Single day(photos) / "Muslim Women Must Learn English Or Be Deported" - British PM. / Russian Official, Leonid Vasyukevich, Tells Putin To End War In Ukraine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.