Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,854 members, 7,810,284 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:25 AM

What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos (13763 Views)

My House Agent Is Demanding 5% From Me For Agent Fee Every Year / Lady Scammed By Fake Estate Agent In Lagos Shares Her Victory Story / Where Is The Craziest Place A House Agent Has Ever Taken You To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by aloziedaya(m): 9:53am On Jan 22, 2017
It really baffles me how things are falling apart in Nigeria, how government finds it difficult to enforce the simplest of laws. Last week I witnessed a litigation in Festac over rent and the accruing agent fee of 10%. A tenant rented a mini apartment for #200,000 annual rent and was charged #120,000 as agent fee. I was disturbed knowing that these agents now charge what they feel like charging instead of the 10% stipulated by government.
My question is, has Nigeria become a no man's land as people claim? Or are these agents justified in this act. I believe good contributions will come in here.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by ceasare: 1:59pm On Jan 22, 2017
U want to rent a house in Lagos the agency and agreement is 3/4 of your rent !
That's absolutely crazy! The irony of it is that no do wells,drop out and low lifers
Are now estate agent in festac claiming agency.its high time the regulatory bodies
And NIESV wake up to there responsibilities and start enforcing the relevant laws.
Little wonder most people pay for one year and spend the next 2 year not paying
Rent and jostling back and forth with landlord/agents to court.
How u see d festac houses? You will still spend fortunes to renovate to human living
Standard!smh

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by initialize(m): 6:32am On Jan 24, 2017
Lagos estate agents are something else... They put ads on classified sites about vacancies in your desired location then you put call through to them n u fix time to meet for inspection. That's when ur life wahala starts;

On d day of inspection, you get to the agreed meeting point and he's no where to be found, he appears after u have waited for 1hr with a piece of paper inclining you to sign and pay inspection fee btw 1k - 2k before you are allowed to see the advertised building... They start asking for ur biodata whereas they refuse to supply theirs, they ask for state of origin/ tribe like they will give you the house for free if you are of the same tribe as d landlord or house owner(s).

Dem go come carry u Waka from Ikeja along to Iyana-ipaja, they stop to show u a house entirely different from the attractive pictures you saw in the ad and start toasting you, telling you how the old tenant moved from there to his newly built house in Lekki, how the landlord doesn't keep malice, or how all the other tenants are born again... I'll be like oga! take me to the house in the online pics na... Then he calls someone on the phone asking if the keys to d house at No. so so n so is still there or which agent turn is to have the keys and then set on another journey then just before u get to the bus stop. He stops to request money from you to buy roasted plantain (boli) and epa (groundnut) with pure water... I'm like 'iru rada rada wo ni mo wa ko ra mi si bayi'

Then he says he's heavy now, let's our two take one bike to the house at the end of the street, that the building is very close to the bus-stop. he calls bike but the bike keeps going nonstop for another 30mins for a distance he claims is only about 10m from the bus stop... Yeepa!

On getting to the house, their is no key to enter and it's not even the house advertised online. He then keeps you waiting for the other agent {principal} to come with the key and u enter d house and just hold ur head in ur hands shouting mogbee! La'aro Monday... You go just hiss and vex comot

Yet they won't refund your inspection fee after showing you what they didn't advertise... If you later asked about the one you saw the pictures they will tell you someone just paid for it exactly the time you came.

Useless pple

Na curse go kill all these yeye agents... House agents o! Car selling agents!

Epe! Epe!! Epe!!! ni o pa yin.

Lol cheesy

**if I wan write about their charges if you eventually get to rent, na another long tori. They will draft "face me I face u" agreement for someone who rented a flat and paid for flat rent agreement... Chai!

84 Likes 8 Shares

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by Pillars1(m): 6:34am On Jan 24, 2017
c
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by mrsage(m): 6:37am On Jan 24, 2017
Those agents no try at all.
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by Horlawale1(m): 6:39am On Jan 24, 2017
Bad
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by abbaapple: 6:39am On Jan 24, 2017
Dat y I don't like lagos, cos funny tinx do happens in Lagos. love PH Mordan any oder place in Nija, d noice in Lagos is Epic! goshsh!!!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by Sezua(m): 6:41am On Jan 24, 2017
abbaapple:
Dat y I don't like lagos, cos funny tinx do happens in Lagos. love PH Mordan any oder place in Nija, d nice in Lagos is Epic! goshsh!!!
alien spotted

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by Sanchez01: 6:44am On Jan 24, 2017
When it comes to agents' fees, no place rivals Enugu in Nigeria. Quite unfortunately, these agents are just people who are out to make ends meet, some are barely educated. I'd say it's the same for most agents who exhibit this senseless attitude. I mean, how do you explain an apartment pegged at 350,0000p/a and the agent tells you agent's fee is 180k? What am I selling that would cause me cough out 150k to an agent who does not even know a thing about the house in question but just leads you there and ask you to pay?

It is high time the government waded into this. So many unlearned and uneducated folks seem to be controlling the agency sector in Nigeria with each passing day and it is worrisome.

11 Likes

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by moscobabs(m): 6:44am On Jan 24, 2017
h
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by money121(m): 6:45am On Jan 24, 2017
Ok
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by nbright: 6:49am On Jan 24, 2017
Uaeless people
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by jreyez(m): 6:50am On Jan 24, 2017
Those agent guys are useless, take it from Me, they run a legit scam business. After paying the agent and agreement fee which is almost the same as the rent, you go still enter house begin spend unnecessary money again angry

1 Like

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by ItzHoludex(m): 6:59am On Jan 24, 2017
everything is just expensive
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by Nobody: 7:04am On Jan 24, 2017

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by amdoyin82(m): 7:06am On Jan 24, 2017
Sezua:

alien spotted
he might be right. Everytin about Lagos is hell. That reminds me of wen I wanted to buy a piece of land in 2009, I had the option of ibadan and Lagos, i actually went for ibadan land not because it was cheap but for Lagos wahala like noise, pollution, traffic, school fees wahala and these so called agents of extorting wen you fall for them.

4 Likes

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by happyjuliet(f): 7:13am On Jan 24, 2017
Agents for Lagos no b am at all, I remember wen we where looking for a house we suffer no b some oooo. them go sweet talk u finish, waste ur time and money, even Agent and agreement uko no b here.

1 Like

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by bigcil2(m): 7:16am On Jan 24, 2017
The fraudulent behavior of agents prompted me to start up https://Letout.com.ng

Sincerely i have experienced firsthand what agents can do but the truth is the professional agents don't disappoint or collect inspection fees.
In fact to know a wack agent, s/he would ask for inspection fees. Any agent that does that is either of the two
- Not the principal agent
- A fluke
God help us all

1 Like

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by nativedoctor(m): 7:18am On Jan 24, 2017
I have stressed this in a similar thread in the past. Please avoid roadside agents. Any agent that demands N1 from you before taking you out on inspection is a quack and a fraudster!
The agency fee for renting a house is maximum 10% of the rent.
The agency fee paid for buying land or a house is maximum 5% of the sale price.
Lawyers especially are fond of charging 10% on sales. IT IS VERY WRONG. .
A professional agent does not base his business on a one time rip off rather on a relationship with his client to ensure referals.

This idea of inspection fees is absolute rubbish. If an agent asks you for inspection fee please ignore him/her and walk away.
There are several verified agencies available online.

If you require professional real estate services on the island (Ikoyi, Victoria island and Lekki). Please call 08033342296, 09098132990 or email hauzconcept@gmail.com
you will be amazed and the extent we will go to satisfy.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by hefelove(m): 7:20am On Jan 24, 2017
Am in all this agent wahala right now, I don't know if tolet.com.ng are reliable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by RealEstateBoss: 7:25am On Jan 24, 2017
Am real estate agent and must that many agent are greedy and lazy...Most live a life of squandering their money hoping to get money from a soon prospective client and so they charge whatever they like and even ask for some fees before taking you for an inspection...Though its much rampant in mainland while most agents in Island still maintain the 10%. The 10% is what govt recognised and it should be so..The same applies to Landlords that collects more than 1 year rent.
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by Nobody: 7:28am On Jan 24, 2017
I just paid 400k for a two bedroom flat with agent fee at 120k. My wife did the transaction as I was on a trip. The place worse.funny part is electricity 0. I later learnt that once a client is on the way they put on the gen at a remote area so we no go hear n feel say lite dey. We r the first to park in. As others are coming to inspect I happen to be at home. But should I alert them

Not me. Them go scam all of us noni. No be only me go take head pack am

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by sakalisis(m): 7:31am On Jan 24, 2017
tongue
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by konkonbilo(m): 7:33am On Jan 24, 2017
It's very disheartening, the way some people that calls them self agen behave.how would you pay for a selfcon #120 n pay for agent n agreement #100k? It's very bad in this country, there's no LOVE at all,we show no sympathy to ourselves at all.that's why these country remains backward. lipsrsealed undecided

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by okewumi: 7:51am On Jan 24, 2017
Do you need accommodation of 3 bedroom flat @ (#130,000) in Ibadan around Akobo- Olorunda axis. Call 08034492494
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by Rinsola32(f): 7:54am On Jan 24, 2017
initialize:

I'm like 'iru rada rada wo ni mo wa ko ra mi si bayi'

Epe! Epe!! Epe!!! ni o pa yin.

The above got me laughing!

I'm 100% sure you witnessed all these. No be say someone told you.

House agents? Hmmmmnnnnn! Don't even know where to start from embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by mcfynest(m): 8:00am On Jan 24, 2017
After paying 100k for agreement and commission. I asked him about the water issue and he said no probs that it would ve fixed....

Maybe if he comes today though or tomorrow, he still never fix am
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by EvangelistNdudi(m): 8:01am On Jan 24, 2017
RealEstateBoss:
Am real estate agent and must that many agent are greedy and lazy...Most live a life of squandering their money hoping to get money from a soon prospective client and so they charge whatever they like and even ask for some fees before taking you for an inspection...Though its much rampant in mainland while most agents in Island still maintain the 10%. The 10% is what govt recognised and it should be so..The same applies to Landlords that collects more than 1 year rent.
please I will like to know if there is a law backing the 10%?

I hope government can do something concerning Nigeria house agent
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by Infinitikoncept(m): 8:10am On Jan 24, 2017
Guess I ran faster than my legs anytime I hear inspection fees & I've always preferred transfer apartments from someone I know than paying all those agent fee & getting swindled in Lagos.
Re: What's Your Last Experience With A House Agent In Lagos by Sezua(m): 8:18am On Jan 24, 2017
amdoyin82:
he might be right. Everytin about Lagos is hell. That reminds me of wen I wanted to buy a piece of land in 2009, I had the option of ibadan and Lagos, i actually went for ibadan land not because it was cheap but for Lagos wahala like noise, pollution, traffic, school fees wahala and these so called agents of extorting wen you fall for them.
who is talking about him being right or wrong?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Common Reasons Why Roof Leak in Nigeria / Office Space (serviced Office), Virtual Office In V/I Lagos / Two Buildings On Fire At Nkwor Ogbe Market, Ihiala Anambra State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.