Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,795 members, 7,820,792 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:43 PM

Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN (848 Views)

3,050 Megawatts Mambilla Power Project In Taraba (Pictured) / National Grid Collapses, Generation Drops To 92MW / TCN Begins Nationwide Load-shedding As Power Generation Drops By 1087MW (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by yemmybx(m): 3:19pm On Jan 22, 2017
The Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN) said that the nation’s power generation capacity dropped from 3,959 megawatts on Jan. 4 to 2,662 megawatts on Jan. 22.

The Nigerian Electricity System Operator (SO) website, a sub agency of TCN, disclosed the figure in its daily forecast on power generation data in Lagos on Sunday.

TCN attributed the drop to low water levels at the hydro power stations and dearth of gas to the power generating companies.

TCN said the total output of 2,662.20 megawatts from all the generation companies on Sunday had been transferred to the 11 distribution companies across the country.

According to the Nigerian Electricity Supply Industry (NESI) operational report for Jan. 4, the power sector hit a peak generation of 4,959 megawatts but dropped to 2,662.20 megawatts on Jan. 22.

NESI said the sector recorded highest system frequency of 51.32Hz and lowest system frequency of 48.52 Hz, while the highest and the lowest voltage recorded on Sunday were 372KV and 300KV, respectively.

An official of Transmission Company of Nigeria (TCN), who preferred anonymity, Said that electricity generation had been dwindling due to challenge of accessing gas by generation companies.

The official said that low level water levels at the country’s hydro thermal stations also contributed to the drop in generation.

He said that most hydro stations are currently confronted with low water challenges to generate energy.

The TCN official said that this often caused system collapse when the system scrabbled to distribute energy from the grid to distribution companies and the quantum of energy was not sufficient.

According to him, it is a challenging period for power sector but it will get better once the hydro swing into high water level and gas becomes available.

He attributed the drop in generation to the attack launched against pipeline facilities belonging to the Nigerian Petroleum Development Company (NPDC) on Jan. 17 around Ugheli in Delta State.

Similarly, a top official of Egbin Power Station, who also pleaded anonymity, said that the power plant, with a capacity of 1,320 megawatts, now generates 340 megawatts due to gas constraint.
The official said that the 340 megawatts Egbin generated was wheeled out to the national grid at 6.00 am on Sunday.

The Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, had on Friday said that the sabotage of power assets by militants prevented Nigeria from generating 7,000 MW of electricity.

“Today, at its most frugal, the nation’s power grid would support 6,500MW; pushed to its limit, it would carry 7,200MW.

“So it is not true when you hear that the grid capacity is not more than 5,000MW. It is growing every day and more projects are coming up.

“We have completed some and more are still coming up. So that is where we are,’’ Fashola said at the Nextier Power Dialogue in Abuja on Friday.
The Minister said while power was out due to attacks in one axis, the expansion of either the grid or gas supply was kept alive on another axis and hydro power was also being expanded.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/01/electricity-generation-drops-2662-megawatts-sunday-tcn/
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by INTROVERT(f): 3:20pm On Jan 22, 2017
I thought we would be approaching at least 15000mw by now. But I guess GEJ took all the transmission wires to Otuokewhen he was going grin grin

5 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Afriifa(m): 3:21pm On Jan 22, 2017
Three days ahead but 31 days behind,

how does it feel Mr Rocket BOMB?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by yemmybx(m): 3:21pm On Jan 22, 2017
Let there be light!
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by ScotsReferendum: 3:21pm On Jan 22, 2017
Fashola, is electricity now a rocket science.? grin grin

God bless Jonathan cool

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Ogbuefi2020: 3:31pm On Jan 22, 2017
a

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by eyeview: 3:32pm On Jan 22, 2017
Under GEJ, Electricity generation was averaging at 5,000mw, APC said it was unacceptable, that they will get it to 10,000mw if voted. Today, they are in power,its now even a miracle to reach the 'unacceptable 5000mw'.

Under Gej, fashola was running his mouth that to provide regular uninterrupted power supply wasnt rocket science and one doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to achieve it. Today, under his watch, provision of regular power supply now look like Rocket science combined with molecular physics, Paedeatric brain surgery, advanced international economics and international jusrispudence.
.....it has just become an impossible course for him.

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Beremx(f): 3:45pm On Jan 22, 2017
I get only 45minutes of electricity supply in my house six days a week and one day of complete darkness, whether there's a reduction or increase in Megawatts, i don't feel the impact.

God punish NEPA people!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Firefire(m): 3:51pm On Jan 22, 2017
Beremx:
I get only 45minutes of electricity supply in my house six days a week and one day of complete darkness, whether there's a reduction or increase in Megawatts, i don't feel the impact.

God punish NEPA people!!

cheesy

We now have PHCN no longer NEPA.

How your side and how is the CHANGE gospel?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Firefire(m): 3:54pm On Jan 22, 2017
eyeview:
Under GEJ, Electricity generation was averaging at 5,000mw, APC said it was unacceptable, that they will get it to 10,000mw if voted. Today, they are in power,its now even a miracle to reach the 'unacceptable 5000mw'.

Under Gej, fashola was running his mouth that to provide regular uninterrupted power supply wasnt rocket science and one doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to achieve it. Today, under his watch, provision of regular power supply now look like Rocket science combined with molecular physics, Paedeatric brain surgery, advanced international economics and international jusrispudence.
.....it has just become an impossible course for him.

GEJ is wicked for taking along the electricity generation cables... grin

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Beremx(f): 3:54pm On Jan 22, 2017
Firefire:

cheesy
I care less what they are called now, to me nothing has changed.
Happy Sunday

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Beremx(f): 3:54pm On Jan 22, 2017
dp
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by queencalipso(f): 3:56pm On Jan 22, 2017
Lol grin well thank God it didn't drop to 0mw today!!

If they can only manage and get it up to the 5000mw they met it, we will be very grateful..

Mr rocket science grin

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Firefire(m): 3:56pm On Jan 22, 2017
sad
INTROVERT:
I thought we would be approaching at least 15000mw by now. But I guess GEJ took all the transmission wires to Otuokewhen he was going grin grin

GEJ looted the cables... Alh. Lienus Mohamed

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Firefire(m): 3:59pm On Jan 22, 2017
Beremx:

Happy Sunday

Happy Sunday to you too...

My question: How is the CHANGE Gospel?
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by queencalipso(f): 3:59pm On Jan 22, 2017
Beremx:

Happy Sunday

Lolx grin grin this wasn't the change you vigorously campaigned for...

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by queencalipso(f): 4:03pm On Jan 22, 2017
Firefire:

cheesy

grin the ministry is dead, their messiah is a complete disappointment..

The man is abroad enjoying luxury contrary to his promise while we are wallowing in darkness...

So much for CHANGE...

Btw, where is obiageli?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Firefire(m): 4:15pm On Jan 22, 2017
queencalipso:

grin the ministry is dead, their messiah is a complete disappointment..

The man is abroad enjoying luxury contrary to his promise while we are wallowing in darkness...

So much for CHANGE...

Btw, where is obiageli?

Obiagelli and her likes have gone into oblivion leaving behind few headless cows to gallivant and wander around threads in an untold agony of the spirit chanting 'God bless Barber'

APC, Party of professional liars and career rogues.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by dikeigbo2(m): 4:44pm On Jan 22, 2017
Story,story,story..once upon a time,...time ,time...electricity dropped to zero mw last Sunday,dropped to 2000mw on Tuesday and finally dropped to zero zero mw on Saturday,that is the end of my story..... grin shocked
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Mmaxix: 5:48pm On Jan 22, 2017
For three weeks now I have not had up to a combined 10 hours of electricity supply . its so bad that since last week my AC repairman has been trying to top gas. No way. He dropped his cylinder hoping anytime light comes I can DIY topping the gas since yday. No way. The guy has requested to come pick up his cylinder tomorrow. Sad thing is continuous usage of my poor generator has weakened the machine. Its really really bad here in Port Harcourt cry cry
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by omohayek: 5:55pm On Jan 22, 2017
The sheer scale of the illiteracy on display in this thread is mind-boggling. I say "illiteracy" because the article clearly says the reason for the drop in energy production was the blowing up of a gas pipeline on January 17, but so many rush to blame Fashola anyway, as if he were personally in charge of looking after pipeline security. What miracle do such people expect him to perform exactly? It's just plain stupid to talk about transmission wires when the problem is the availability of gas.

Let me state here for the benefit of idiots who keep bring up the false "rocket science" claim: there is in fact no rocket science involved in power generation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that hydro-power generation will be at its lowest at the peak of the dry season, and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to grasp that repeatedly blowing up vital gas pipelines that feed the power companies will cripple power generation. These are things people of normal intelligence should easily understand if their judgement isn't clouded by tribalism and blind partisanship.
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by cstr55: 7:52pm On Jan 22, 2017
omohayek:
The sheer scale of the illiteracy on display in this thread is mind-boggling. I say "illiteracy" because the article clearly says the reason for the drop in energy production was the blowing up of a gas pipeline on January 17, but so many rush to blame Fashola anyway, as if he were personally in charge of looking after pipeline security. What miracle do such people expect him to perform exactly? It's just plain stupid to talk about transmission wires when the problem is the availability of gas.

Let me state here for the benefit of idiots who keep bring up the false "rocket science" claim: there is in fact no rocket science involved in power generation. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that hydro-power generation will be at its lowest at the peak of the dry season, and you don't need to be a rocket scientist to grasp that repeatedly blowing up vital gas pipelines that feed the power companies will cripple power generation. These are things people of normal intelligence should easily u
nderstand if their judgement isn't clouded by tribalism and blind partisanship.
Really ? And whose job is it to defend and protect national infrastructures from sabotage? Your mother?
You are an illiterate and lack the very basis for rational thought.

3 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by omohayek: 9:15pm On Jan 22, 2017
cstr55:

Really ? And whose job is it to defend and protect national infrastructures from sabotage? Your mother?
You are an illiterate and lack the very basis for rational thought.
And referring to "your mother" is evidence of your rationality, right, proof of your scintillating intellect? Your stupidity is frankly astonishing in its vastness. How dull does one have to be to expect a minister for power to do the job of the police? Oh, I forgot, you're just another cretin trying to cloak the tribalistic garbage you spew on here behind criticism of someone you regard as an "enemy".

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by cstr55: 9:21pm On Jan 22, 2017
omohayek:

And referring to "your mother" is evidence of your rationality, right, proof of your scintillating intellect? Your stupidity is frankly astonishing in its vastness. How dull does one have to be to expect a minister for power to do the job of the police? Oh, I forgot, you're just another cretin trying to cloak the tribalistic garbage you spew on here behind criticism of someone you regard as an "enemy".
Really? And the minister of power does not have access to the president, the inspector general of police and the military?
Clap for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Donshegxy10(m): 9:29pm On Jan 22, 2017
no light in my area for the past 5days, not even a blink. what am seeing at the end of this tunnel is darkness o.
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by SpecialAdviser(m): 9:41pm On Jan 22, 2017
Where is Mr rocket science self?

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by Nobody: 9:49pm On Jan 22, 2017
Where is Barth Nnaji?
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by abokibuhari: 9:57pm On Jan 22, 2017
Beremx:

God punish NEPA people!!
my sweet berem kiss kiss
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by omohayek: 9:59pm On Jan 22, 2017
cstr55:

Really? And the minister of power does not have access to the president, the inspector general of police and the military?
Clap for yourself.
No, you take your own advice, as you clearly need it more than I do. Who says he hasn't asked for help from all of the people you mention? Is he supposed to come and announce it in public first? Do you really think requesting help from all these sources is some kind of brilliant new suggestion nobody would have thought of before you?

All you've shown here, with your insults and statements of the obvious, is that you're so intent on hating Fashola that you're willing to throw all logic out of the window. Keep on hating him for all I care: it won't make me lose any sleep, let alone disturb a politician who doesn't even know you exist. Your blind hatred won't give you a single extra watt of electricity either.

1 Like

Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by blackfase(m): 10:19pm On Jan 22, 2017
...Lawyer wey dey do like Engr. wetin he be?

#bringbackBarthNnaji
#lightupzazoo
Re: Electricity Generation Drops To 2662 Megawatts On Sunday – TCN by nwabobo: 10:18am On Jan 25, 2017
Beremx:

God punish NEPA people!!

Na wetin you sow you dey reap. You were warned.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING!!! Finally UK Doctors Report That Buhari’s Health Condition Is Critical / Some Highlights From The Economic Council Meeting Yesterday. (photos) / Pmb Decries Wanton Killings, Summons Service Chiefs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.