Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,560 members, 7,820,024 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? (21726 Views)

What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? / Olden Days Lies Elders Told Us -- Share Here / What Is Wrong With My Mom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Brightology2(m): 9:46pm On Jan 25, 2017
adonbilivit:
nothing is wrong with it. I can decide to wake up in the morning and not say good morning to my dad and instead say "Dad, how are you this morning?". must we be stereotypical?

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jan 25, 2017
I once told my lecturer friend "sir How are you" one time and the reaction was not funny at all... I felt because his my lecturer and we cool I could relate with him on a good platform. And he was like "you don't ask your elders "how are you " and that it's disrespectful. But the funny thing is that I say I say that to my dad and he responds well to me and even want to share things about himself.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Divay22(f): 9:47pm On Jan 25, 2017
Hehehe..you can only say that when the Elder person is sick o, except they'll say you're disrespectful.........
But i tell my family members thou,most especially my mum kiss kiss kiss

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by AlwaysUltraPad: 9:47pm On Jan 25, 2017
Origin:
Its the nature of the sentence. Sounds condescending and usually used by older person when referring to a younger person.

Would you say "bawoni" to an elder person. That's the rough translation.

There is a way that some people say "my dear" that is belittling as if the person been addressed is of a lower status.
oh my God ! I just got an Nigerian interpretation for "my dear". Where's that dami krane's song(my dear) sef.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by adonbilivit: 9:48pm On Jan 25, 2017
Zico5:

Them don come again Igbo. No sense of regards at all.
wetin make you think say you get tribal marks pass me?
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by adodofemi(m): 9:49pm On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:
"How are you?" may sound polite to some group of people or culture but not to the African culture especially Nigeria.

Do you dare tell an elderly man or woman "How are you?" without getting this evil look and opened case in the community?

I was having this discussion with a friend and we started taking about the above topic then he told me;

Just imagine you saw a kid and call his name and the next comment he made was " Hey brother, how are you?" grin

Well, e sound somehow sha...grin.

Does it actually shows disrespect or we Nigerians are just too respect conscious?

With Sir or Ma, it might sound a little bit normal but not the right thing to say to an elderly person especially in a Yoruba home. Nonetheless, shey alafia ni Sir/Ma sound better.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by ziga: 10:01pm On Jan 25, 2017
It is not by force to speak English.

The people that created the language are not offended by the phrase "how are you"

If it offends non-English speaking people, avoid communicating in that "disrespectful language"

And let us stick to our highly respectful Epele saaah.

On a side note, it is funny how Nigerians talk about respect, especially because President Buhari is around 70 and people who are not even half his age are so disrespectful when they talk about him. Or even our past Presidents.

Hypocrisy in our culture

3 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by superflystan(m): 10:01pm On Jan 25, 2017
it's uncomplimentry considering the Africa culture of respect for elders
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Ugosample(m): 10:02pm On Jan 25, 2017
Amongst Igbo people it is not considered disrepect tho...
I ask my older relatives that ALL the time
But cultures differ
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Coolgent(m): 10:07pm On Jan 25, 2017
presskid:
The child who throws out his hand to shake an elderly man will receive a slap
Chai some culture grin.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by lionson(m): 10:19pm On Jan 25, 2017
How can you be asking an elder how are you? I can see your brain need formatting.
It is unafrican in every sense.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by OlujobaSamuel: 10:28pm On Jan 25, 2017
i remembered the first time my boss used "xup" for me on phone, he said he said "sam, xup na, aw va, aw ur side", i was like wtf, i no sabi wetin to talk cuz we been dey always formal, i had to drop call adjust my ears, check my sitting, before i called back, the thing just sound somehow as at then but we don dey roll wella for that kind parole now.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Abdstrakt(m): 10:28pm On Jan 25, 2017
Rilwayne001:
How are you "Sir" or "Ma" will do.
This is exactly how I say it, and there has never been a problem, at least not yet. Maybe one of this days I'll conveniently forget to put sir at the end and let me see what will happen.

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Phemmy82: 10:29pm On Jan 25, 2017
In Yoruba land you can merely say "How are you sir or ma"...to elderly person,but anything aside that, the next you will hear is "Abi pabè ômô gbogbo"
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by abbeyty(m): 10:31pm On Jan 25, 2017
imagine a country where everyone blows grammar more than the queen still don't know what how are you means, they forgot that oyinbo language no get respect
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by krauss: 10:34pm On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:
"How are you?" may sound polite to some group of people or culture but not to the African culture especially Nigeria.

Do you dare tell an elderly man or woman "How are you?" without getting this evil look and opened case in the community?

I was having this discussion with a friend and we started taking about the above topic then he told me;

Just imagine you saw a kid and call his name and the next comment he made was " Hey brother, how are you?" grin

Well, e sound somehow sha...grin.

Does it actually shows disrespect or we Nigerians are just too respect conscious?

Just stereotype. I have 'toddlers' and 'children' around who even call me by my name while talking to me. Once one is able to grow over these stereotypes, he or she will find it easy to let go certain things. We have been imbued with some of these things, and I always seek to independently rationalize which is best for me and presumably, the society. Some times, acting like a maverick makes a lot of sense. My uncle who stays in the UK once picked offence with this same thing when the would-be daughter-in law conversing with him on phone asked him, how are you? ifugo nu ka osi di. BTW, another one is, must you close your eyes while praying?
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by mechanics(m): 10:36pm On Jan 25, 2017
Nothing is wrong o, atleast u respect them when saying it, its mostly done during greetings.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Dnockeror333(m): 10:41pm On Jan 25, 2017
Why should I hear that from a minor/junior and not pick a greeting-querry with his teeth?
It mean he or she had began picking trouble because of what he or she learnt about you. Common jawww, that junior brain need to be sent queitly to his place:- QUEITNESS! Do not even look in his direction any more!

Even if an elderly person whom I greet retorted with "how are you..." These questions will beat my heart backward from such thoughtless soul:-
-Was I sick or hungary that I greeted you?
- And if I tell you my health, what would you do?
- If you can do something then you may have put my confidence back to satiation, but come, who would do this everytime?

Hence in ny thought, I'll bite my heart, I will promise my spirit to never greet that elder again. Only by mistake would I do it.
It may mean that you are not important to them. You know?
Foolishness came forward after thoughtlessness; When we do not think of what we do, or when we were not brought up in right way from infant craddles.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Dnockeror333(m): 10:52pm On Jan 25, 2017
undecided[img][/img]
SUMMARY OF POSTULATION:
The thing is that every personality have their likes and dislikes. They know their good use toward elders and, bad use toward them.
For a fecund agemate who stood by the mainroad with hand raised up to your old pal in greeting, without bowing nor anyother sign of honour, is nothing but a street discipline wise, an undiscipline child.
Greeting is either dishonourable or honourable, respectful or disrespectful.

Lets put everything according to The African Senility.
THIS IS AFRICAN.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by richard870(m): 10:58pm On Jan 25, 2017
Thats where the 'SIR' AND 'MA' thing comes in

Only applies to yorubas.Others dont really see no biggy in it, especially the 'indonesian' lipsrsealed tribe in Nigeria cheesy
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by solidman59(m): 10:59pm On Jan 25, 2017
I don't see anything wrong in it. Ppl are different sha, but every reasonable person should be able to respond to that without feeling disrespected. It's a simple question and shows care so why?

Truth is, na we hold ourselves. Simple stuff like these shouldn't even be an issue, it's just that in this part of the world, we kinda over define respect and so many other things
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by chiraqDemon(m): 11:00pm On Jan 25, 2017
They prefer if u ask
How is everything
But if u ask how r u na wahala
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by MurderX: 11:08pm On Jan 25, 2017
xynerise:

But this is just an African thing....I stand to be corrected
Dont be deceived, it is not an african thing.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by tosyne2much(m): 11:15pm On Jan 25, 2017
tomieyRozay:
First Day my comment would be on the front page..
I dedicate this space to my future girlfriends....I love you all.
Hahaha cheesy Well done ooo baba cheesy
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by dingbang(m): 11:20pm On Jan 25, 2017
I tell u say Nigeria don expire
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Sman37(m): 11:27pm On Jan 25, 2017
steppin:
African culture believes its disrespectful. We shouldn't always copy oyibo people all the time.
Good but u wont bab their sort of hair style, dirty dressing and worst of it africans bleaching the skin just to be like white just too embarrassing mtsweee!!
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Jan 25, 2017
English language is not ours, some sentences might sound funny when translated to Yoruba. it is so appalling that we are losing our heritage by coping anything western, Asians don't speak English , yet they are far ahead in technological and societal development.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by tosyne2much(m): 11:34pm On Jan 25, 2017
isarumah:
sometime in 2001, we were listening to live radio broadcast, where ex-president Obasanjo was responding to the audience via telephone. A man called, inroduced him self as Pastor so so so, the anchor told him "go ahead pastor, the president is listening to you". Pastor went ahead and said "how are you, sir". Obasanjo responded this way "come, can you tell your god how are you?" The anchor took over and advice callers to be respectful.
Can you just imagine? Oga oooo
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by tosyne2much(m): 11:40pm On Jan 25, 2017
krauss:
Just stereotype. I have 'toddlers' and 'children' around who even call me by my name while talking to me. Once one is able to grow over these stereotypes, he or she will find it easy to let go certain things. We have been imbued with some of these things, and I always seek to independently rationalize which is best for me and presumably, the society. Some times, acting like a maverick makes a lot of sense. My uncle who stays in the UK once picked offence with this same thing when the would-be daughter-in law conversing with him on phone asked him, how are you? ifugo nu ka osi di. BTW, another one is, must you close your eyes while praying?
The truth of the matter is that we are so much respect personified in this part of the world yet we are the less enlightened and rural
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Lilcentt(f): 11:55pm On Jan 25, 2017
What is respect? Respect is money and money is power If you don't have money you can't hvae power and you don't deserve respect!!! Make money!!! Or else I will call your grand papa nigga and your father boy
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by modsRbastard: 12:26am On Jan 26, 2017
boborosky:
As far as I know, there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying that. However, somethings must be added. One of the things is, your attitude. You must be very polite and let the essence of saying that be truly clear. Secondly, I add, Ma or Sir. I do so in a respectable manner that clearly shows that I care about you and therefore want to know how you are doing. e.g Good Morning Ma, (response - good morning), How are you (doing) Ma? (fine my son).
Another example is come on (C'mon). This phrase has been bastardized far too much.

Na come on you still see... It is only in Nigeria that "my friend!" is neither used in a pleasant nor friendly way.

I.e

Me: my friend! Let this be the first and the last time you ever step Foot in my compound.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by modsRbastard: 12:46am On Jan 26, 2017
ziga:
It is not by force to speak English.

The people that created the language are not offended by the phrase "how are you"

If it offends non-English speaking people, avoid communicating in that "disrespectful language"

And let us stick to our highly respectful Epele saaah.

On a side note, it is funny how Nigerians talk about respect, especially because President Buhari is around 70 and people who are not even half his age are so disrespectful when they talk about him. Or even our past Presidents.

Hypocrisy in our culture

Bro... I wonder why all this... I don't know who, wants to drive what's left of our culture into extinction.
I'm telling you...if you tell a typical elite yoruba man "how are you?", expect no lesser repose than "yi o bà yá ę" (your mom must be silly), sé o nbón si ni abi oun gó si?(are you getting wiser or more retardedd?) and sé wón kó ę ni, abi o duró gba ékó (weren't you trained/cultured or you didn't wait to be trained/cultured).

OP just don't try that thing with any Yoruba elder, it's Well indulged across the Niger.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Name Abraham Daniel: Have You Seen This Man? / The Story Of Madam Koi Koi / My Husband Shot Me But I Cant Leave Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.