Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:53 AM

What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? (21721 Views)

What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? / Olden Days Lies Elders Told Us -- Share Here / What Is Wrong With My Mom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by DrogoG(m): 1:39am On Jan 26, 2017
xynerise:
"How are you?" may sound polite to some group of people or culture but not to the African culture especially Nigeria.

Do you dare tell an elderly man or woman "How are you?" without getting this evil look and opened case in the community?

I was having this discussion with a friend and we started taking about the above topic then he told me;

Just imagine you saw a kid and call his name and the next comment he made was " Hey brother, how are you?" grin

Well, e sound somehow sha...grin.

Does it actually shows disrespect or we Nigerians are just too respect conscious?

Only illiterates are offended by that.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by LastProphet: 1:59am On Jan 26, 2017
how are u without a sir is a pure sign of disrespect whether in Nigeria or on planet mars, it is silly to think u can say how are u to both ur mates and ur seniors in the same way. try it once in a while with ur employer and u will learn a valuable lesson
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by practicalclass: 3:18am On Jan 26, 2017
Me: Goodmorning Sir
Elder: Hmm hmm, morning
Me: How are you doing today Sir (with a respectful smile)
Elder: I'm good.

Elder: Good morning my child. How are you today?
Me: I'm doing okay Sir. And how about you Sir?

XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Elder: Goodmorning
Me: Morning. How are you?
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

It has to do with how respectfully you say it and the body language. I presume saying 'How are you', you mean well.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by amahthelma(f): 6:21am On Jan 26, 2017
presentation matters a lot
some say the word 'how are you' carelessly without addressing it with a sign of respect
so to me it doesn't mean a thing when an elderly person is been asked that. cause I say it most times with an iota of respect and lots of smiles
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by successinlife: 6:24am On Jan 26, 2017
steppin:
African culture believes its disrespectful. We shouldn't always copy oyibo people all the time.

Lies,which African culture?say few African culture instead.In Sierra Leone,Senegal,Kenya and even by ur nose in some part of Nigeria elders/seniors including uncles and sometimes parents are called by name,i don't want to start e-wars,do your findings before saying 'african culture'.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 6:26am On Jan 26, 2017
DrogoG:

Only illiterates are offended by that.
Seconded
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Artistree: 7:00am On Jan 26, 2017
adonbilivit:
nothing is wrong with it. I can decide to wake up in the morning and not say good morning to my dad and instead say "Dad, how are you this morning?". must we be stereotypical?
Adonbilivit!!!
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Rickf(m): 7:09am On Jan 26, 2017
I am so glad for this topic and for some of the reasonable responses received. If am to comment i would say, everything is wrong with that. We are africans not americans that refer to their elderly ones by their first names like Mike, Jude, Stella, Lizzy, Richie, etc. Rather we are thought to use titles Uncle Mike, Aunty Stella, Mummy Joy(for elderly mothers), Papa, and to answer Sir, and Ma. etc
African have their culture. No matter how far civilization takes us, it will be so hard to civilized this aspect.
Language has a very big effect. There are better ways to ask an elderly person 'how are you' or use the word 'dear' as many do on facebook comments, than throwing it so sharply. Its belittling to an elder.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 7:17am On Jan 26, 2017
The tone determines....I ask, so I know how they are faring. I ask my parent in law's ...e me la gi? And they gladly respond. It opens up communication about them.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by ChinonsoDike2: 8:24am On Jan 26, 2017
Africans like these dumb platitudes. Surprisingly, these "morals" haven't brought any semblance of advancement.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by chyket(m): 8:25am On Jan 26, 2017
If you add Sir or Ma to the how are you,it will nil off whatever reservations the elderly person may have
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Kobicove(m): 8:59am On Jan 26, 2017
I think it's more polite to say "How are you doing" when speaking to an older person.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Airoflaw(m): 9:34am On Jan 26, 2017
Baawaa:
How are you in Yoruba means"bawo ni",so in Yoruba land you can't say "bawo ni" to your father ,mother and your elders
adding SIR/MA will make it sound respectful..e.g
How are you sir or bawo ni sir
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by fingistan(m): 11:05am On Jan 26, 2017
This is Nigeria
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by dayold: 1:02pm On Jan 26, 2017
lordm:
The clouds will always be above and the sand beneath
you get sense guy!
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Jan 26, 2017
If you guys like, you should get scientific proof that it is wrong. For me, when I talk with my mom, I am always going to ask her a delibrate "How are you?" after greeting, cos I always want to know how she is doing. She shouldnt be the only one concerned about how I am doing.

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Timelezz: 1:27pm On Jan 26, 2017
modsRbastard:

Bro... I wonder why all this... I don't know who, wants to drive what's left of our culture into extinction.
I'm telling you...if you tell a typical elite yoruba man "how are you?", expect no lesser repose than "yi o bà yá ę" (your mom must be silly), sé o nbón si ni abi oun gó si?(are you getting wiser or more retardedd?) and sé wón kó ę ni, abi o duró gba ékó (weren't you trained/cultured or you didn't wait to be trained/cultured).

OP just don't try that thing with any Yoruba elder, it's Well indulged across the Niger.

Typically correct. "How are you" is a condescending form of greeting or reference.

The greeting of course is borrowed form England and its usage knows no class or strata but the application in Nigeria is different. That's what most of our "Akata" brothers who like to appear more western than westerners don't get.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by modsRbastard: 2:14pm On Jan 26, 2017
Timelezz:

Typically correct. "How are you" is a condescending form of greeting or reference.

The greeting of course is borrowed form England and its usage knows no class or strata but the application in Nigeria is different. That's what most of our "Akata" brothers who like to appear more western than westerners don't get.

My brother!, it weakens me when I see people like the OP. Just look at the picture below, this one possibly never pass Elegushi shore oo

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Timelezz: 2:28pm On Jan 26, 2017
modsRbastard:

My brother!, it weakens me when I see people like the OP. Just look at the picture below, this one possibly never pass Elegushi shore oo
That one has tribal bigotry in full swing.

Don't be surprised he's the type who eats Garri with fork when he doesn't know there are many delicacies Westerners eat with their hands.

And these ignoramuses think they are progressive when in reality they are losing their identity and uniqueness.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by sparkleRed(f): 3:01pm On Jan 26, 2017
No its not a sign of disrespect! The wrong tone is d sign of disrespect nt the word "how are you" I ask elders dat very well.

E.g ah sir it's bin long, how are you?

Aunty how are you na, have missed u oo

No right thinking person will take offence, they simply answer me well and ask me same back.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by kiddkash(m): 12:01am On May 20, 2020
adonbilivit:
nothing is wrong with it. I can decide to wake up in the morning and not say good morning to my dad and instead say "Dad, how are you this morning?". must we be stereotypical?
yes do not copy western culture too much

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Name Abraham Daniel: Have You Seen This Man? / Confused! / How Do I Politely Ask Her To Leave

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.