Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,333 members, 7,819,143 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol (1052 Views)

Chemistry Students Help Me Out Please / Chemical Pathology: Chemistry Students Come In Amd Help. / Where Are The English Students Lets See Who Gets This Correctly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by KingOfThePay(m): 7:29pm On Jan 26, 2017
You know, I drink wine. And each time on the bottle of the wine you get to see the percentage of alcohol inscribed on the bottle of the wine.

Now, for all the wine i drink(that contains alcohol) I still get to be HIGH no matter the taste or name of the wine.

Is it that alcohol is a separate compound or element that must be added to a particular wine(mixture) to make it alcoholic or how?

Why do all wine and beer(with the said alcoholic content) makes someone HIGH irrespective of brand or name?
Is alcohol a separate content that can be added or taken on its own or must be mixed with a mixture or how?

Kindly break things down for we that ain't science inclined to understand.

CC: Lalasticlacla, Seun, Mynd44
Re: Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by Mynd44: 7:45pm On Jan 26, 2017
Percentage by volume content of alcohol just means for every cup/bottle/handful/drop of that content, it contains a certain alcohol content. Now, you are most likely to get high faster if you drink Vodka of 89% than Beer at 5.5%

Now that said, some wine or alchohol are more volatile. If you pour spirits of high alcohol % on the floor, it will vaporize fast cos it has a lower melting point than one of lower %. The reason you get high faster is that gas is easier to absorb into your body system than liquid. And at a higher % the liquid will vaporise in yoir body and get to your brain faster than lower alcohol %. Also it is more potent cos it is more concerntrated

4 Likes

Re: Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by tsephanyah(f): 8:07pm On Jan 26, 2017
Alcohol is the source of all the evils, especially raping, killing, I'm free thinker but religion knows something about it, and ban it, but science cannot debunk it, because people most do evil.. To be part of the devil union, to get rich .. Even if you get rich, you will be still miserable, u need to continue, drinking alcohol, taking drugs,.. Life is complicated situation
Re: Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by LordIsaac(m): 8:15pm On Jan 26, 2017
Seems to be the only specialty of Nigerian Organic Chemistry lecturers.
Re: Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by KingOfThePay(m): 8:17pm On Jan 26, 2017
Mynd44:
Percentage by volume content of alcohol just means for every cup/bottle/handful/drop of that content, it contains a certain alcohol content. Now, you are most likely to get high faster if you drink Vodka of 89% than Beer at 5.5%

Now that said, some wine or alchohol are more volatile. If you pour spirits of high alcohol % on the floor, it will vaporize fast cos it has a lower melting point than one of lower %. The reason you get high faster is that gas is easier to absorb into your body system than liquid. And at a higher % the liquid will vaporise in yoir body and get to your brain faster than lower alcohol %. Also it is more potent cos it is more concerntrated

""The reason you get high faster is that gas is easier to absorb into your body system than liquid. And at a higher % the liquid will vapourise in your body and get to your brain faster than alchohol %."

This is very detailed and explicit. Now I get to understand, so if I did ask, what are the components of gas that makes it easier and faster to absorb into my body system(as stated) than liquid?!
And why can't it be contained in beer too to make the rate of absorption rapid too.
Re: Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by KingOfThePay(m): 8:21pm On Jan 26, 2017
This is getting more informative than I thought. Alcoholics ya'all needed here.
Re: Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by nams77: 4:50pm On Jul 04, 2018
To understand what alcohol is, you have to understand the process of brewery. Alcohol is a chemical product of fermentation (breakdown) of sugar. By mostly micro organisms like yeast.
For example, if you grind guinea corn, naize, rice or the one used for beers and other drinks, barley, mix with water and you add yeast like saccharomyces cerevisae ,after days, the sugar in the maize, barley etc will broken down to alcohol. You can now add hops which give beer it's bitter taste. This is just a simplified explanation. On the industrial scale, a lot of things happen
Hope you clear now kingofthepay
Re: Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by KingOfThePay(m): 5:04pm On Jul 04, 2018
nams77:
To understand what alcohol is, you have to understand the process of brewery. Alcohol is a chemical product of fermentation (breakdown) of sugar. By mostly micro organisms like yeast.
For example, if you grind guinea corn, naize, rice or the one used for beers and other drinks, barley, mix with water and you add yeast like saccharomyces cerevisae ,after days, the sugar in the maize, barley etc will broken down to alcohol. You can now add hops which give beer it's bitter taste. This is just a simplified explanation. On the industrial scale, a lot of things happen
Hope you clear now kingofthepay

Yes. You were apt..
Ehmm those things you mentioned sugar is gotten from which is broken down to alchohol, I see they all caborhydrates ... Must the sugar only come from that source or food class?
And so you mean all alchohols have sugar right? How about RED wine..
Re: Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by osamagbesmart(m): 5:25pm On Jul 04, 2018
Alcohol naturally high someone and evaporate easily which depend on the percent,beer does not easily high someone or evaporate faster than kin kin because it contains a lower amount of alcohol
alcohol is made from fermenting food that contain sugar(barley,grains etc),whose taste depend on d source of food fermented,and the percentage of alcohol depend on the time of fermentation ie beer contains 5.5% because fermentation was stop wen sugar fermentation to alcohol was 5.5%
Re: Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by nams77: 7:16pm On Jul 04, 2018
KingOfThePay:

Yes. You were apt..
Ehmm those things you mentioned sugar is gotten from which is broken down to alchohol, I see they all caborhydrates ... Must the sugar only come from that source or food class?
And so you mean all alchohols have sugar right? How about RED wine..
To the best of my knowledge, those are the grains used for commercial drinks. But you can also cause fermentation in apple, pineapple, orange juice under the right conditions.. red wine is produced from fermented grape fruit
Re: Chemistry Students Lets Talk About Alchohol by KingOfThePay(m): 11:51am On Jul 05, 2018
nams77:

To the best of my knowledge, those are the grains used for commercial drinks. But you can also cause fermentation in apple, pineapple, orange juice under the right conditions.. red wine is produced from fermented grape fruit

Now this is Interesting...

(1) (Reply)

JAMB Reschedule 2017 UTME CBT Examination Date / AAU SUG Awards 2017 / Electrical Transient And Analysis Program (ETAP) Training In Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.