Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,016 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. - Islam for Muslims (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. (37593 Views)

3 Things You Love About Islam / How Muslims Can Teach Non-Muslims About Islam / 10th Day Of Muharram: The Reason Muslims Fast On This Day Makes Me Curious (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 4:12pm On Dec 21, 2010
Lagosboy:

Salaams Habeebah, regarding your query Wallah it is a very important question that many muslims who were born into islam and are old fall victim of. Traditional festivals associated with kufr e.g deities, idols etc are not to be celeberated in islam. Examples I would give as eyo festival of lagos, Osun oshogo festival of Osun, agemo masquerade of ijebu, oro festival and all other masquardes festivities.

These festivals all have their origin to idol worship and there are many traditional idolatory rites practiced before the festival. Eyo festival some people might say its more of fun and cultural but the bottom line is it is associated with kufr and idolatory. The new yam festival in ibo land honestly I don tknow what it entails perhaps if you shed more light on the festival then I might be able to explain further. I don’t like being hasty in passing judgements or opinion as in islam you have to understand the circumstances and specifics before you pass an opinion,

The evidences for my opinion is in Q4 v 140
He has indeed sent to you the book that when you hear Allahs verses been disbelieved in and mocked at, do not sit with them until they turn to other discussions. Surely (if you don’t) you would be like them. Surely Allah will gather together the hypocrites and disbelievers in hell.” Now the issue is looking at them and going to watch them is tantamount to hypocrisy and that is why the verse specifically continues with “ will gather together the hypocrites (muslims who knowingly engages in these traditions) and disbelievers (the masquerades themselves) in hell”

The quran also mentions something similar in Q6 v68

Allah says “ Enter in to islam completely and do not follow the footsteps of Shaiytan” Q2 v208

Finally the hadith quoted by brother Azhardeen “One who imitates a people is one of them”

There are many other cultural practsises a muslim/muslima should not engage in but you have to mention them before we could analyse it. I dont like to genrealise.

Islam respects culture in as much as the culture does not violate any islamic prinicple.

Please let me know if you understand or i could expantiate

And God knows best

Salams LB.
Now,in all honesty,New yam festival in Igboland is meant to be a meduim of thanking the gods for a good harvest(Yam).Therein lies the problem . . . which god/gods
Thanks for ur replies to Hymen,i found that useful as well. wink
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by dayokanu(m): 6:20pm On Dec 21, 2010
Hi Ifyalways
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Nobody: 8:34pm On Dec 21, 2010
@Lagosboy,Asalamu Aleikum,pls be mindful of your writing,you said a man should be responsible for a woman nail polish,i believe nail polish is not allowed in Islam,because it prevent water from getting into the nails.

@Ify,dnt mind me answering you,a muslima should not do or be in any festival or celebration which has a root in Idolatory,Allah warns us in the Quran plenty of times and even common sense should tell us is IDOLATORY even if is cultural.they have to pray in some kinds of gods names and Allah warns us not to follow footsteps of shaitan and not prefare our forefathers ways since ourforefathers are not even guided,but they think they are guided,every yam big or small,plenty or few are all from Allah and not from any small god
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by hymen(f): 8:25am On Dec 22, 2010
Lagosboy:

More like wife No 1 winkDid the explanation address your concerns and issues ? Did you understand it an dhave you got more questions ?
Eh. . .make I con dey under seclusion(purdah) lailai ! shocked shocked

Not really,I have come to accept the fact that we all try to interpret scripture as best we can. It goes without saying that we weren't there when this things were put together.

uplawal:

@Ify,dnt mind me answering you,a muslima should not do or be in any festival or celebration which has a root in Idolatory,Allah warns us in the Quran plenty of times and even common sense should tell us is IDOLATORY even if is cultural.they have to pray in some kinds of gods names and Allah warns us not to follow footsteps of shaitan and not prefare our forefathers ways since ourforefathers are not even guided,but they think they are guided,every yam big or small,plenty or few are all from Allah and not from any small god
I agree with uplawal completely. We must avoid all forms of idolatory.

I recall many years ago in Sunday school we were told not to take meat from muslims during Eid as they were actually sacrificing the rams to idols & that muslims bow down towards the ka'abba everyday actually to an idol in the building in Mecca. . . I wonder ,I just wonder
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 10:05am On Dec 22, 2010
hymen:

Not really,I have come to accept the fact that we all try to interpret scripture as best we can. It goes without saying that we weren't there when this things were put together.
I agree with uplawal completely. We must avoid all forms of idolatory.

I recall many years ago in Sunday school we were told not to take meat from muslims during Eid as they were actually sacrificing the rams to idols & that muslims bow down towards the ka'abba everyday actually to an idol in the building in Mecca. . . I wonder ,I just wonder

Knowing what you know about islam now Do you still believe what you were taught in Sunday school was true or do you have a contrary opinion now?

Regarding interpretation of the quran , Hymen it is not a question of anyone trying to interpret the verses as best as we can it is more of what the verses mean in the context of the Arabic language, how the prophet PBUH and the companions understood the verses. From all said above regarding how women were treated in the time of the Prophet PBUH and his numerous advice to protecting womens right do you still hold the opinion of islam having low regard to women.

The Prophet PBUH was reported to have said in a hadith advising men that during sexual intercourse and after they climax they should not just get up after having satisfied themselves but they should consider their wives and satisfy her as well. Now Hymen, analyse it yourself and put it into perspective as from worship to our daily affairs, to sex , there have been numerous guidline on how we should treat our women so as not to oppress them.

hymen:

Eh. . .make I con dey under seclusion(purdah) lailai ! shocked shocked

lols no worry u go dey under maximum inclusion wink . . . . but really Women are not meant to be under seclusion in islaam. Women are meant to be active players in the society ranging from the home duties to the mother duties, to teaching, to medical services, to social work, to governance, to military etc
What you call purdah and what I call niqaab is not mandatory in islaam and should never be forced on anyone. If someone wants to do it fine and if she doesn’t want to do it fine.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Jarus(m): 10:09am On Dec 22, 2010
Lagosboy, you are the new Alhaji Olabowale of Nairaland.
Jazakumullahu khaeran.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by hymen(f): 1:11pm On Dec 22, 2010
Lagosboy:

Knowing what you know about islam now Do you still believe what you were taught in Sunday school was true or do you have a contrary opinion now?
Of course I don't believe it now. It just shows how what one person calls idolatory may not necessarily be so to another wink

Lagosboy:

The Prophet PBUH was reported to have said in a hadith advising men that during sexual intercourse and after they climax they should not just get up after having satisfied themselves but they should consider their wives and satisfy her as well. Now Hymen, analyse it yourself and put it into perspective as from worship to our daily affairs, to sex , there have been numerous guidline on how we should treat our women so as not to oppress them.

The way Alhaji has been focusing on 'somethings' recently beats me o cheesy
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 1:20pm On Dec 22, 2010
uplawal:

@Lagosboy,Asalamu Aleikum,pls be mindful of your writing,you said a man should be responsible for a woman nail polish,i believe nail polish is not allowed in Islam,because it prevent water from getting into the nails.

Salams sis .
You dont even have to say it,the thread is free and open to everyone,You are more than welcome to post here.
I agree with ur posts.I love fun and traditional dances n festivities too much . . .Insha Allah,i wud start doing the right thing. wink
dayokanu:

Hi Ifyalways
Agbaya cheesy
Kilode?
hymen:

Of course I don't believe it now. It just shows how what one person calls idolatory may not necessarily be so to another wink

TE he he
Could it be the effects of ur username? cheesy LOL
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by hymen(f): 1:23pm On Dec 22, 2010
ifyalways:

Salams sis .
You dont even have to say it,the thread is free and open to everyone,You are more than welcome to post here.
I agree with your posts.I love fun and traditional dances n festivities too much . . .Insha Allah,i wud start doing the right thing. winkAgbaya cheesy
Kilode?TE he he
Could it be the effects of your username? cheesy LOL
Lol
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 1:55pm On Dec 22, 2010
hymen:

Hey Hymen don’t quote me out of context o . . . . our deen islaam is a practical faith and not an ultra idealistic superficial and impractical way of life. Our prophet PBUH taught us almost all things within his reality of then. He wasn’t shy to explain bedroom ethics to matured men and women. These are practical family stuff Lady Hymen and it is not Lagosboy focusing on this stuff o .  cheesy

Don’t worry when you pronounce the shahadah soon inshallah you would learn more   wink

ifyalways:

Could it be the effects of your username? cheesy LOL

Even you sef dey on my case wink kai these ladies don gang up against me o cheesy Who shall come to my rescue o

Oya Hymen change your username to sumthin else grin
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 3:30pm On Dec 22, 2010
ifyalways:

I agree with your posts.I love fun and traditional dances n festivities too much . . .Insha Allah,i wud start doing the right thing. wink

Even me i like traditional dance lols grin I used to do cultural dance when i was in high school. tongue

Seriously speaking you could do those dance in the confines of your home and specially for AR. Dancing for the thanking of the gods is not just haram but it is kufr and Q4 v 140 talks about that exactly.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 3:34pm On Dec 22, 2010
Jarus:

Lagosboy, you are the new Alhaji Olabowale of Nairaland.
Jazakumullahu khaeran.

Wah yakum bro but seriously Egbon Olabs remains this section all time legend. He was here when no one was, he stood firm amidst all the hate messages and contributed immensly to the section. We actually miss him and would love to have him back !!
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2010
uplawal:

Aunty uplawal i pleaded with you to drop me a mail and you never did why nah? I just wanted to discuss some of your islamic positions with you so i could learn more and we could benefit ourselves.

To the issue at hand, nail polish in itself is not haram but applying it on would definately prevent water from touching required places. If a woman can withstand the hassle of removing it before wudhu then there is no problem. If she applies it when she is off salat then also there is no problem.

And God knows best.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by lammie01: 7:10pm On Dec 25, 2010
:d
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 12:47pm On Dec 28, 2010
As we all learn about islam we should try to avoid lots of pitfalls surrounding the knowledge of islam. We should always ask what we do not know and try not to be too opinionated about issues of faith, on the contrary we should always be eager to learn. I have come to conclude that where someones knowledge ends on a particular issue is exactly where another persons understanding begins. Humility in knowledge seeking is very important and only a humble student will acquire real knowledge.

There is a difference between knowledge and understanding and when both of them is present in someone we call it wisdom. That is why it was reported the Prophet PBUH said "whomever Allah wishes to grant good he grants him understanding of the deen".

This golden verse of Allah summarises my point
" He grants wisdom to whom he pleases, and whomever is granted wisdom, he indeed is given a great good and non would remember (be granted) except men of understanding" Q2 v 269

When we pray we should ask Allah for knowledge , understanding and ultimately wisdom.

And God knows best
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by misterh(m): 8:04pm On Dec 29, 2010
Lagosboy:

As we all learn about islam we should try to avoid lots of pitfalls surrounding the knowledge of islam. We should always ask what we do not know and try not to be too opinionated about issues of faith, on the contrary we should always be eager to learn. I have come to conclude that where someones knowledge ends on a particular issue is exactly where another persons understanding begins. Humility in knowledge seeking is very important and only a humble student will acquire real knowledge.

There is a difference between knowledge and understanding and when both of them is present in someone we call it wisdom. That is why it was reported the Prophet PBUH said "whomever Allah wishes to grant good he grants him understanding of the deen".

This golden verse of Allah summarises my point
" He grants wisdom to whom he pleases, and whomever is granted wisdom, he indeed is given a great good and non would remember (be granted) except men of understanding" Q2 v 269

When we pray we should ask Allah for knowledge , understanding and ultimately wisdom.

And God knows best
I must say that i admire your write-ups and replies. May Allah increase you in knowledge.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 3:15pm On Dec 30, 2010
Praise is to Allah(swt) who brings us to life after he has brought us death and unto him is the return.
@All,lets not forget or miss fridays Jumai prayers.Sallams.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by hymen(f): 3:41pm On Dec 30, 2010
ifyalways:

Praise is to Allah(swt) who brings us to life after he has brought us death and unto him is the return.

Ahlan. . . . smiley
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 4:21pm On Dec 30, 2010
hymen:

Ahlan. . . . smiley

Finish it . . . . . wa sahalan

I wrote you a message on the NL section of this sections poster of the year go read it smiley

ifyalways:

Jumah mubarak in advance. inshallah we shall not miss it.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by hymen(f): 8:46am On Jan 01, 2011
Happy New Year to everyone.

Lagosboy:

Finish it . . . . . wa sahalan

I wrote you a message on the NL section of this sections poster of the year go read it smiley
I'll check it out wink , please advise link as I can't find it on Islam section.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 9:14am On Jan 01, 2011
Hymen its on "nairaland" section.may Allah(swt) bless us all in our dates,towns,bushels and our pecks.happy 2011!!!!!
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 2:32pm On Jan 01, 2011
hymen:

Happy New Year to everyone.
I'll check it out wink , please advise link as I can't find it on Islam section.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-559875.32.html

Its here tongue

ifyalways:

Hymen its on "nairaland" section.may Allah(swt) bless us all in our dates,towns,bushels and our pecks.happy 2011!!!!!

Thanks but i feel really terrible today as i slept yesterday on the bad news on the Abuja bombings. I am hoping no has done this in the name of islam that is my hope. Although, no one has claimed responsibility, loads of people have blamed it on the same people that bombed jos. Till there is a clain of responsibility, i will keep mute for now. sad
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by muhsin(m): 5:20pm On Jan 01, 2011
Salam,

@Lagosboy, we almost felt the same. Mts.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by azharuddin: 3:04pm On Jan 02, 2011
@ify
How are the kids? Dont see u online much, must be busy i guess.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 10:30am On Jan 03, 2011
Lagosboy:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-559875.32.html

Its here tongue

Thanks but i feel really terrible today as i slept yesterday on the bad news on the Abuja bombings. I am hoping no has done this in the name of islam that is my hope. Although, no one has claimed responsibility, loads of people have blamed it on the same people that bombed jos. Till there is a clain of responsibility, i will keep mute for now. sad
I know how u feel but its only an uninformed person that wud believe totally that it was masterminded by Muslims.
I have not stopped to wonder,In Gambia,we have more Muslims than Christians,Same for Ivory coast and some other west African countries . . .when was the last time we heard abt religious conflicts or bombings there?Are we just cursed in Nigeria or what?
Our problem remains;
Greedy politicians who twist the mind of the youths with religion and money and have them do their dirty jobs for them.
Illiteracy and poverty.
Qadarullahi wa ma shaa'a fa'ala.
May Allah(swt) save and help our country.Amin
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by ifyalways(f): 10:35am On Jan 03, 2011
azharuddin:

@ify
How are the kids? Dont see u online much, must be busy i guess.
Thanks.
I and my family are Doing well,Insha Allah.I've been a lil'bit busy,hope you are alright too.
May Allah(swt) Bless and keep you too.Salaam
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by congoshine(m): 1:21pm On Jan 03, 2011
ifyalways:

I know how u feel but its only an uninformed person that wud believe totally that it was masterminded by Muslims.
I have not stopped to wonder,[b]In Gambia,we have more Muslims than Christians,Same for Ivory coast and some other west African countries . . .when was the last time we heard abt religious conflicts or bombings there?[/b]Are we just cursed in Nigeria or what?
Our problem remains;
Greedy politicians who twist the mind of the youths with religion and money and have them do their dirty jobs for them.
Illiteracy and poverty.
We're coming there don't worry,its only a matter of time and human resources  cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by theopops: 2:06am On Jan 04, 2011
Here is my question;

Is the blood of a fellow Muslim worth more than a Christian? This is a sincere question, that I will like to know the answer to.

A friend has a Muslim guy on her tail that wants to marry her and she came up with a scenario; say a radical Muslim guy bust into their house, (during one of these stupid riots and killings) and orders him to kill his wife, (lets assume here that this said radical knows that the wife is a Christian), and the husband can kill the radical, will he?

Before you ask, she has already asked the dude in question and he said he won't kill his wife. But he is what most people consider moderate Muslim.

Thanks for civil responses.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by azharuddin: 2:33am On Jan 04, 2011
ifyalways:

Thanks.
I and my family are Doing well,Insha Allah.I've been a lil'bit busy,hope you are alright too.
May Allah(swt) Bless and keep you too.Salaam

Wa alaikumusalaam warahmatullahi wabarakatuhu.
Nice to hear you are doing fine.
Yea i am doing ok. Me got a few post graduation qualifying exams coming up, not well prepared. But I hope Inshallah I will qualify.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 9:17am On Jan 04, 2011
ifyalways:

I have not stopped to wonder,In Gambia,we have more Muslims than Christians,Same for Ivory coast and some other west African countries . . .when was the last time we heard abt religious conflicts or bombings there?Are we just cursed in Nigeria or what?
Our problem remains;
Illiteracy and poverty.

The problem with Nigeria is that most of the "religious" riots have roots in ethnic problems and economic problems. Politicians prey on this problems and a few misguided fellows turn it into killings and once the 2 setcs are from 2 different religons it is a religious problem.

Many experts have traced the problems in plateau to mining that has left little resources for the briom and hausa people to fight over. Birom are christians and hausa people happen to be muslim. However this sect called boko haram are religious idiots if they really ascribe that name to themselves.
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by Lagosboy: 9:28am On Jan 04, 2011
theopops:

Here is my question;

Is the blood of a fellow Muslim worth more than a Christian? This is a sincere question, that I will like to know the answer to.

A friend has a Muslim guy on her tail that wants to marry her and she came up with a scenario; say a radical Muslim guy bust into their house, (during one of these silly riots and killings) and orders him to kill his wife, (lets assume here that this said radical knows that the wife is a Christian), and the husband can kill the radical, will he?

Before you ask, she has already asked the dude in question and he said he won't kill his wife. But he is what most people consider moderate Muslim.

Thanks for civil responses.

The sanctitiy of human blood in islam is universal and the unjust killing of anyone be it muslim or non muslim is a terrible sin in islam, the punishment for murder in islam is capital punishment to butress my point.

I am sorry an pls forgive me but your friends question to her suitor is a bit silly and parochial as this could happen in many other situation and has nothing peculiar to do with islam. The killing of a wife on the order of a radical depends on the courage,love  and balls of the husband and not dependent on him being a muslim or not.

There is no basis for a radical to kill an innocent soul in islam and there is no islamic justification for a radical muslim to invade another persons house and orders him to kill his wife. This has nothing to do with islam and the question should be in the context of ethnic clashes which happens everywhere. During the Ife and modakeke crises of the mid 90´s this happened between christians, during the urhobo vs itshekiri crises of the late 90s this happened between christians.

Sensless killings and ethnic riots happen everywhere in the world, narrowing it down to islam is a bit myopic. If the suitor does not have balls and courage then he would kill his wife in order to be alive and if he his courageious and loves his wife he would defend her and fight the agressor, which is actually what islam preaches and a man that dies in the process of fighting an invader into his home dies a martyr.

To conclude, islam recommends the husband to repel the radical and fight him in order to protect his family and belongings.

And God knows best
Re: Curious About Islam,facts About Islam. by illusion2: 1:04pm On Jan 04, 2011
Lagosboy:

The sanctitiy of human blood in islam is universal and the unjust killing of anyone be it muslim or non muslim is a terrible sin in islam, the punishment for murder in islam is capital punishment to butress my point.

There is no basis for a radical to kill an innocent soul in islam and there is no islamic justification for a radical muslim to invade another persons house and orders him to kill his wife. This has nothing to do with islam and the question should be in the context of ethnic clashes which happens everywhere. During the Ife and modakeke crises of the mid 90´s this happened between christians, during the urhobo vs itshekiri crises of the late 90s this happened between christians.

All you have said makes perfect sense bro + you are probably the most logical muslim I've ever met online.

However I always shudder at comments like muslims cannot partake in 'unjust killing' , or kill 'innocent souls','civilains' or 'non-guilty parties'. Why do muslism have to qualify their statements.  Can taking some certain lives be justified in Islam 

Why not 'you are not allowed to take anybody's life- shi kenan?  undecided

Are you confirming every muslim is automatically a 'soldier of Allah' or what? Because I honestly can't understand how a human being can determine who is 'innocent' or not. What is the purpose of the judicial system,if I can pronounce death on the 'guilty' and take their lives in the 'justice of Allah'.

Please clarify dear brother because Im very concerned  sad

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (32) (Reply)

How To Stop Masturbation (secret Sin) / Moment Phones Were Left Behind In A Mosque During Worship (Video) / Sheikh Jamiu AMI OLOHUN - Who Is He?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.