Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,401 members, 7,815,876 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

The Origin Of The Famous Phrase| "do As The romans do" - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Origin Of The Famous Phrase| "do As The romans do" (599 Views)

Rare Image Of The Famous Mystery Animal 'baby Bush' / How The Phrase ‘my Dear’ Can Put You In Trouble / Strange Origin Of 9 Everyday Objects We Use (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Origin Of The Famous Phrase| "do As The romans do" by wahles(m): 10:02pm On Jan 27, 2017
Do as the Romans do… says who?

Ever heard the expression, “When in Rome, do as the Romans do”?

Of course you have.

Do you know the expression’s origin? St. Ambrose, way back in 387 A.D.

As the story goes, when St. Augustine arrived in Milan to assume his role as Professor of Rhetoric for the Imperial Court, he observed that the Church did not fast on Saturdays as it did in Rome.

Confused, Agostino consulted with the wiser and older Ambrogio (Ambrose), then the Bishop of Milan, who replied: “When I am at Rome, I fast on Saturday; when I am at Milan I do not. Follow the custom of the Church where you are.”

In 1621, British author Robert Burton, in his classic writing Anatomy of Melancholy, edited St. Ambrose’s remark to read: “When they are at Rome, they do there as they see done.”

Down through the years, Burton’s turn of the St. Ambrose quote was further edited, anonymously, into what is widely repeated today on a daily basis by some traveler, somewhere, trying to adjust to his/her new or temporary surroundings.

source:http://www.italiannotebook.com/local-interest/origin-do-as-romans-do/

(1) (Reply)

WAEC Extends WASSCE For School Candidates Registration Deadline – 2017 [may/june / If There Are Schools That Came Straight From Children’s Dreams – Here They Are / JAMB Will Stop Use Of Scratch Card – Prof. Oloyede

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.