Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,281 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:32 PM

Buchi Emecheta Was Not A Feminist!!! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Buchi Emecheta Was Not A Feminist!!! (388 Views)

Open Society Foundations Young Feminist Leaders Fellowships / A WORD For All The Feminist Girls Out There / When Your Wife Is A Radical Feminist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Buchi Emecheta Was Not A Feminist!!! by jmichael259(m): 2:16pm On Jan 29, 2017
There are eulogies too numerous to mention since the death of this wonderful woman on Wednesday 25th January 2017. However, most of them are leaning towards apraisal of feminism. I will like to remind the well meaning persons behind these posts that Buchi Emecheta had first hand experience of gender discrimination starting from her father's attempt to deny her education, early marriage down to single motherhood. SHE OVERCAME and found solace in her writings which unsurprisingly focused on the struggles of women in the society. She deeply believed and taught that women deserve better treatment and equal chances but she REPEATEDLY refused to align with feminism and the feminist movements. So i call on you ladies, gentlemen and feminists alike, in conclusion that it would be an act of dishonour to force feminism upon Buchi Emecheta now that she is dead. Maybe she was just "egalitarian". NOT EVERY SUCCESSFUL WOMAN IS A FEMINIST AND DOESN'T NEED TO BE.
Re: Buchi Emecheta Was Not A Feminist!!! by jmichael259(m): 2:19pm On Jan 29, 2017
This post is for information and clarification purposes only. It is not in any way meant to attack feminists. Misquote and attack at your own risk.
Re: Buchi Emecheta Was Not A Feminist!!! by Kondomatic(m): 2:28pm On Jan 29, 2017
I understand you bro but I have read her books and I think she was a feminist but scared to speak out openly maybe because feminism was at its early stage that time. She was kinda scared.

(1) (Reply)

Asup Has Declear 7 Days strike! / Please Help I Need To Pay School Fees / UNILAG Releases Official Dress Code For Students ” No Low Waist Jeans, Tight Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.