Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,685 members, 7,831,125 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:02 PM

- Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / (9474 Views)

Ofada Stew Recipe / The Best Peppery Jollof Rice Recipe / Cake Recipe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

by Nobody: 4:54pm On Dec 01, 2009
Re: by Nobody: 1:55pm On Dec 03, 2009
Re: by Fhemmmy: 1:23am On Dec 08, 2009

Re: by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 08, 2009
Re: by debest1(m): 10:37am On Dec 08, 2009
INGREDIENTS
Beef (orisirishi i.e all sorts)
Salt
Maggi Cube or Knorr Cube
Onions
4 Green Bell Pepper
2 Red Bell Pepper
Habanera pepper i.e Atarodo (I use 3 I like it really spicey, but you decide)
1 Cup of Palm Oil
White Rice
Locust beans/Iru

DIRECTIONS

1. Cut the beef into small pieces and put them in a pot.
2. Rinse the beef thoroughly and season with maggi, salt, slice in onions and add water.
(DO NOT USE any fancy season like curry powder etc)
3. While the beef is cooking, pre-heat your oven at 475 degrees.
4. Once the beef is soft, put them in a oven tray and bake for 30-45 or till they are brown, this is my style to avoid frying for healthy lifestyle. You can fry if you prefer.
5. Next, you will blend the green pepper, red pepper, one whole onion, and the habanera (rodo). Don’t add water or TOMATO. (at this point it looks like the green pepper refuses to blend / mix with the red—that’s ok, just cut it into bits and blend like that. Eventually it will blend or at most add few drops of water).
6. Heat up the palm oil with sliced onion until the onions are burnt, then remove the oil from the cooker and let it cool.
7. (Can you smell that traditional stew smelll…delish.) Anyway take out the burnt onions and trash it.
8. Then put the palm oil back on the stove and add the blended peppers.
9. Season the blend pepper with salt and maggie to taste and cover it up to fry.
10. You will know when the pepper is fried when you can see the palm oil on top of the heated pepper. (FYI -The quantity of the blended pepper shrinks).
11. Add the locust beans
12. Add the baked beef to the frying pepper and leave it to cook. You will know it is ready when you see the palm oil on top.
13. Turn off the cooker and set the stew aside. A few minutes later the stew changes to a dark brown (this is when the “localness” comes out).

The stew is better served with boiled rice.

"Enjoy and lets know if it comes out well" Olobe lo loko o !
Re: by Nobody: 6:01pm On Dec 08, 2009
Re: by Fhemmmy: 6:09pm On Dec 08, 2009
chaircover:

God bless you. Thank you so much.

Just to confirm, how much palm oil do I need please. Also do I use ground Iru or unground and how much

u see now, that was taken from my site.
Re: by debest1(m): 7:37pm On Dec 08, 2009
chaircover:

God bless you. Thank you so much.

Just to confirm, how much palm oil do I need please. Also do I use ground Iru or unground and how much

enough oil to adequately fry/cook the ground pepper.
With the iru, u should use grounded one and be carefull not to add to much, a teaspoon shud suffice
Re: by Fhemmmy: 9:15pm On Dec 08, 2009
debest1:

enough oil to adequately fry/cook the ground pepper.
With the iru, u should use grounded one and be carefull not to add to much, a teaspoon shud suffice
Stop taking recipe from my site cool
Re: by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 09, 2009
Re: by Fhemmmy: 4:13pm On Dec 09, 2009
chaircover:

Femi be careful angry

grin smiley grin

OK . . . Ma`am
Re: by baby4u2(f): 5:12pm On Dec 09, 2009
Is this not called ata rice?
Re: by Fhemmmy: 5:51pm On Dec 09, 2009
I am sure Chaircover will post a pix when she is done.
CC . . . abi no be so
Re: by lepasharon(f): 9:59pm On Apr 16, 2012
hey,must you use green peppers??
Re: by MissIfe(f): 7:25am On Apr 17, 2012
I've tried this dish before and loved it but didn't know the name, now I'm definitely marking this recipe smiley

(1) (Reply)

Cake-spiration! / Rising production cost: Bakers Begin Nationwide Strike On February 27 / Are Nigerians Allergic To Any Food?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.