Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Silhouette; A Short Story - Literature (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Silhouette; A Short Story (25127 Views)

Love Poem:. SILHOUETTE / Whose Fault? (betrayal And Revenge) A Short Story / Done In 60 Seconds (A Short Crime Story By Olumide Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by fiyah(f): 8:52am On Feb 26, 2017
*2*
A Room Full of Psychos

Maurice
So he drove off, leaving me stunned and contemplating on whether to alert the nearest rehab about one of their patients on the loose.

Like what kind of human does that?

It's understandable people tend to scare or get worried about teamwork efficiency when a new teammate joins the team and they often put up some attitude that put the new member off.
But his attitude was just crazy! There's no other word for it even if I try putting it nicely which I don't intend doing by the way.

So, I stood outside the building, watched him drive past me like I wasn't there, with my hands neatly folded across my chest.

“He left without me sir. I'm thinking it would be a lot better if you have me partnered with someone else.” I blurted out hurriedly. I was standing, hands by my side in front of Director Jude in his office. How I got there, I had no idea. All I knew was, I narrated the episode that ensued between the Dude and me ensuring I padded some, just to make my point about not working with that psycho.

“Are you even sure you want to work here?’’ Director Jude asked, giving me a plain and unreadable look.
I don't understand what he meant by that but whatever it is, I hope it doesn’t mean I have to lose my job all because I refuse to dine with some psycho.

I think I need a synonym for ‘psycho’.

Director Jude is every shade of cool. By every shade of cool, I mean every shade of cool!
He has this fashion sense men his age don't.

It kinda hurts that my dad was one of those men.
Can someone give me the n lipped emoji?

He dresses and looks expensive and would have been mistaken for some oil mogul if randomly ran into on the street.
How much do they even pay this directors for just sitting back down, dishing out orders?
His long face was covered with grey beards right from his cheeks to his chin. I could bet my pinky finger on the fact that he had it dyed that color because he really doesn't look that aged. His well shaven head complimented his look and that makes him look somewhat like a Hollywood hit man.

How cool is that!

Beside the good looks of this man I've been looking up to ever since I came for the recruitment test, there is this warmness about him coupled with that encouraging smile that never leaves his lips. I loved that about him!

‘That statement…’ He continued. “…coming from you came a bit disappointing. I was expecting more from you. I didn't assign you to HOM104 to whine and complain about your partner being impossible or uncooperative. Do you even know what it takes to get posted to HOM department without a previous experience in the field? Everyone in Homicide aren't just there, they deserved it.’

Really?

Even Victoria?

The chick spilled yoghurt and oil on a case file! I really can't wait for the part where he tells me how she deserved it.

‘Maybe Victoria isn't really…’ He said and it came out as though he could read my mind.

Good lord!

“But all you really need to know is you are lucky to be here. A lot of people tried getting into Homicide, but you were one of the few that got in…’ He said brushing his thick beard with his index finger.
Okay, the ‘you are one of the few…’ speech was getting to me. I get the story, I am lucky to be here and I don't even deserve it. Great!

Tell me other things that could murder the good vibe I came in with this morning.

“You got assigned here because you impressed me with your psychological and field test results. You are trained for this and I believe you have this covered. Besides, Dozie is the perfect person to be on field op with. I'm afraid you have to work with him right now that he isn't really all that stable.’

Thank God someone finally agrees with me that the Dozie dude is cranky.

And why does he really have to be Dozie of all names? The last Dozie I knew was in college and he was everything far from being cute and adorable.

“I think you should be trailing him right now.’ Director Jude reminded me with a smile clinging absent mindedly to his lips when I stood, looking at him blankly.

I bet I looked like the statue of liberty only without a torch.

I flashed a smile of gratitude while exiting his office.
What Director Jude said was enough to murder the spirit of whining in me. It sort of rekindled the dying splint of enthusiasm and I kinda felt a lot like Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Enough whining Maurice. Just do your job.
That was me, encouraging me.

‘Where do you think our egoistic team leader is right now?’ I stopped right before Victoria's desk when I got to HOM104.

‘By team leader, you mean our boss?’ Victoria 'Nigerianly' replied my question with a question with a stuffed mouth.

How did she even get the food?

“If by our boss, you mean Dozie the team leader. Yeah, I’m talking about him.’ I replied, not dwelling on the fact that seeing Victoria with food already cleared the mystery about her plus size.

“He is still the team boss. Besides, he isn't egoistic.’’ Victoria argued spilling some crumps of whatever she is eating on her desk.

I don't want to say ‘ewww!' but eew!

“I thought you don't like him a few minutes ago, how come you are being protective of him all of a sudden?’’ I need explanations.

‘’You won't just get it. He has a temper, Yes. But that doesn't mean he is egoistic or terrible. It is all just so complicated.’ She replied swallowing the masticated pieces in her mouth.

Okay. I give up. The confusion in this place is just so off the roof.

It is expected anyway. Victoria is an average lady and indecisiveness is expected of a sex that shaves an eyebrow then draw it back.

Wait a minute, I’m a lady too right?

Self attack.

'You were so quiet this morning I almost thought you were the shy type. It is surprising you are all chirpy now.’ Victoria commented.

‘Well, I discovered being quiet is somehow boring and I had to zone outta that mode. So, can you give me any info about his whereabouts?’ I switched back into work mode dragging an adjacent chair towards Victoria's desk until I was sitting down facing Victoria while I spun sideways in the chair.

‘He doesn't tell anyone where he goes. But I can actually narrow it down for you. He requested for a file when I got to work and I have no choice but to believe that whatever he is doing now, he is following up on that. The fortunate thing is, we only have one lead regarding that case and that is the victim’s family. There is this hotel where the murder took place but that was a dead end. We got nothing from there. Unfortunately though, he took the file with him, which is so not right now that I’m thinking about it but luckily for you once again, I know the family address of the victim offhand this is actually because it was the last thing I scribbled down before going to bed yesternight and it's not so hard remembering And the other reason is I have a good memory…’

‘Can you do a brief rerun of what the case entails?’ I cut in while digesting every word Victoria said.

“Double homicide was reported around 9:00am last week Friday by one hotel manager. It's triple homicide actually because the lady Vic was pregnant. Two of his customers who appeared to be lovers were found dead in their hotel room a few minutes before the report was made. It appeared the murder took place the night before the bodies were found but it was surprising no one heard gunshots even though the murder was carried out using a gun. The closest and plausible guess was the killer used a silencer. No one saw anyone come in or go out. A few days after putting the pictures of the victims out on the media, a couple called to claim the female victim was their daughter while we still have nothing on the guy. We haven't had the chance to bring the couple in for interrogation. So, my guess is, Dozie is going to do the questioning at the house’’
I have to admit.
Victoria was pretty good with her job. She could be a narration expert. It would have been pretty great though if only she looks it.

“Great. I need the address and...’’

‘’I need my chair.’’ A zombielike voice said in my head..

Okay, it wasn't coming from my head. It was from right behind me and I felt chills run down my spine. I spun around to meet the gaze of a lady whose pupil was darker than the black long sleeve top she had on. The top was tucked inside a black trouser which was supported by a black belt and a black boot graced her heels. Her hair wasn't artificial but was long enough to be packed into a ponytail that extended right behind her neck.

She looked all feisty, pretty, cool but weird especially with the way she stared at me darkly without blinking which was especially making me a bit nervous.

‘’Excuse me?’ I stuttered and I did not even understand why I did.

“You are sitting on my chair. I don't do much repeating but you just made me do one. Do we really need to add another dummy to the dozen we have already?’’ I watch her say that in my face, quietly, confidently, without a raised voice and as if she wasn't insulting me.

I don't know how it happened but I was on my feet and she was dragging her chair back to her desk. It kinda pissed me off on how it seemed like I chickened out.

I didn't chicken out. I repeat, I didn't!

There is this dark thing about that girl that keeps me frozen and a lil scared

What is this place and why is it filled with this much weirdos?
“That’s Toni and you really need to steer clear of her. She is mean. She calls me fat and stupid. I know I’m a little big but I’m not fat. Or am I ?’ Victoria asked with a fallen tone making it sound as though she was trying to convince herself as we took a trip down the stairs on my way to the address she had scribbled down on a sheet of paper.

Well, putting it the way it should be, Victoria isn't fat. Let's just say, her clothes were a bit oversized and they still manage to hug her body like a second skin.

I’m not ‘Mean Toni’ so I’m never saying that aloud.

Whatever it is, I’m not scared of ‘mean Toni’ This isn't some high school story with Toni being on the apex of the class pyramid.

Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by queenitee(f): 6:30pm On Feb 26, 2017
Waiting

Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by BlissfulJeff(m): 6:41pm On Feb 26, 2017
following.

Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by olatex25(m): 2:10pm On Feb 27, 2017
I love fiyah... U are jst 2 gud.. Kip it cuming
Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by ROYH(m): 12:19am On Mar 01, 2017
TheBlessedMAN:
oga Rohy... D only consistent member of Hero Team.. I cork my gun for u o
so Na Gun You Fit Cork For Me, Instead Of Spending Cash, Na Bullets You Want To Be Spraying...
#AyamNotUpderStanding
Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by aesharoyinder: 8:09am On Mar 04, 2017
following. Abeg update ooh
Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by queenDD(f): 6:25pm On Mar 29, 2017
Fiyah, you are the bomb!
Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by cyberprince8(m): 6:18am On Apr 05, 2017
Miss Fiyah I hope all is well ... been long you last update your stories ...waiting patiently
Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by BlissfulJeff(m): 6:27pm On Apr 25, 2017
pls update us o
Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by cyberprince8(m): 11:43pm On May 24, 2017
Sis ... this story is taking too long and it isn't like the fiyah have always known

I hope all is well with you
Re: Silhouette; A Short Story by Ehmjay(m): 8:41am On Feb 11, 2018
You no go finish your story abi?

The Proposition (15+) / Jakuta (god Of Thunder) / ¤Step Down For Love¤ A story by Vonn