Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,782 members, 7,820,737 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria (19121 Views)

OPL 310: Lekoil Secures $184m Funding For Drilling / Steps/how To Make Money From Information Marketing In Nigeria / First Steps: How To Start A Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by ostopsmich(m): 7:27pm On Jan 31, 2017
Iamabimbola:
Starting this business would cost how much?

Having all the required equipment will cost you nothing less than 70million unless Na hand dug borehole equipment you wan dey use which isn't advisable at all
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by temizeee(m): 7:31pm On Jan 31, 2017
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by iyke649(m): 7:34pm On Jan 31, 2017
Henrypraise:
once a well bore isn't productive, afta u av drilled deep n wide, pls abandon d borehole n move to a virgin land, drill deeper n wider till u get wat u want...

remember don't leave ur tools in d wellbore, just pack ur equipment n zoom off...
Bahd child grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by DAVEZONIGLTD: 7:46pm On Jan 31, 2017
Contact us for your Borehole. We work at any location in Nigeria.

+2348034261643

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by infogenius(m): 7:53pm On Jan 31, 2017
braveheart008:
I am into borehole drilling business in Abuja. You can contact me if you have any borehole to drill here in Abuja. My contact is 08158101071
It will be an added advantage for you on this forum to create your signature around your services.
This will expose your business to N landers
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Kjnwancaro: 8:49pm On Jan 31, 2017
Mrbigman1:
Anyway, I did my studies in the East, Anambra basin and in anambra state.

My project work was on geology and geophysic in the anambra basin, ( aguleri and environs)

I found out that water and portable water is scares in anambra state. And drilling is very expensive due to the terrain. Iron stone (consolidated iron band) and thick clay stone formation banding the Nanka sand which holds the ore.

From my research as published, aquifer that holds portable water in that area is about +/- 60m, but drillers should be wary of the mudstone and mud type should be put into consideration to avoid swelling and hence stuck pipe.

What type of formation do you have in that region
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by IBpaul(m): 9:03pm On Jan 31, 2017
Dis is very informative, reading through older and younger granites write ups it reactivates the joy of geology in me.

Nairaland should be bringing this type to FP

But let me greet my fellow granites....

NMGS......

1 Like

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by sonnie10: 9:29pm On Jan 31, 2017
Temi011:

yea, in addition imo shales and enugu coal also trend to some areas of anambra state...in particular ifite, in awka. i got to know this from a geophysical investigation i did dere. and that is why drilling is very expensive dere.

you have to spend like 30m....this is because you only have sands from the top down to like 20m, after this, its coal/peat and shale you ll b drilling till like 300m....and as a geologist you know what it means drilling thr shale.

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 9:30pm On Jan 31, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

What type of formation do you have in that region

It's a sedimentary basin.

With few calcuim and few fault zones. The oldest been the asu river group. The anambra basin extends down to calabar (odumkpani formation. To the recent Imo shale which is d lateral equivalent of the Niger delta formation
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Emeniyen: 9:34pm On Jan 31, 2017
You can check my profile for good assistance to start cheaply. https://www.nairaland.com/3083807/borehole-drilling-compressor-sale
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 9:41pm On Jan 31, 2017
Henrypraise:
once a well bore isn't productive, afta u av drilled deep n wide, pls abandon d borehole n move to a virgin land, drill deeper n wider till u get wat u want...

remember don't leave ur tools in d wellbore, just pack ur equipment n zoom off...

I beg do disagree with u. Wideness dnt have much to do with production. Ur quest is to fine clean and potable water. The size of UT drill bit or down hole tool depend on the kinda well u wish to hit. Only a self productive well like the artisian well will need size, but we'll u need to suck out with a pump dnt really mater, and remeber, u will case.

Finally, I always encourage people to run a geophysical survey before drilling to know what u re expecting.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 9:43pm On Jan 31, 2017
rusher14:
In addition, geophysical equipment such as ABEM terrameter from Atlas Copco, well logging equipment, as well as electromagnetic equipment for VLF measurements (Ronka Geonics used to be popular) could be quite useful.

Pump testing equipment, water level sounder and of course, interpretative software could make the your life easier in achieving your aim of precision and quick delivery.

Wia ve u used these equipments? I am sure not in Nigeria for borehole drilling.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 9:45pm On Jan 31, 2017
ostopsmich:

Having all the required equipment will cost you nothing less than 70million unless Na hand dug borehole equipment you wan dey use which isn't advisable at all

Equipments varies.
From tripod to small jack to big jack.

Anyway, i'am into oil and gas, dnt know much about borehole apart from my uni days.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 10:13pm On Jan 31, 2017
[quote author=sonnie10 post=53305933][/quote]

wow, where did u get this section...i am anticipating to hit that gravely sand around 300m and use the clay which is likely to be shale as a confinement. Drilling of this depth is not a small thing.

there ll be so much problem but from technical knowledge one can smoothly bypass them....one of the biggest problem to watch out for is loss of circulation.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Henrypraise: 10:15pm On Jan 31, 2017
Mrbigman1:

I beg do disagree with u. Wideness dnt have much to do with production. Ur quest is to fine clean and potable water. The size of UT drill bit or down hole tool depend on the kinda well u wish to hit. Only a self productive well like the artisian well will need size, but we'll u need to suck out with a pump dnt really mater, and remeber, u will case.

Finally, I always encourage people to run a geophysical survey before drilling to know what u re expecting.

I agree to disagree, d width of a borehole has everytin to do wit d anticipated satisfaction, caving in may occur, casing of well bore becomes expensive n wen casing isn't properly done, debris may fall in n contamination which may lead to fishy smells in wellbore...

infact all guys stay away from a overtly wide n deep borehole if u want to continuously enjoy fresh squirting of fresh water till old age...
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 10:25pm On Jan 31, 2017
[quote author=sonnie10 post=53305933][/quote]

pls share me the doc
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by rusher14: 11:04pm On Jan 31, 2017
Mrbigman1:

Wia ve u used these equipments? I am sure not in Nigeria for borehole drilling.

Everything I mentioned I've used at some point in the past.

What it also means is when people scream inflated borehole contracts by Fashola I simply shake my head knowing people are talking from a point of ignorance.

We've not even spoken about installation of casings and screens (Johnson steel more expensive than pvc), requiring the use of cranes. Some projects require overhead steel tanks as part of the project scope, generator house, reticulation to a certain distance away from the source and even further use of a surface tank sometimes.

Projects vary but those geophysical equipment I spoke of at the beginning were routine equipment I used daily back in the day.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 11:17pm On Jan 31, 2017
Larwin:

wow, where did u get this section...i am anticipating to hit that gravely sand around 300m and use the clay which is likely to be shale as a confinement. Drilling of this depth is not a small thing.

there ll be so much problem but from technical knowledge one can smoothly bypass them....one of the biggest problem to watch out for is loss of circulation.

U barely get loose of circulation in shale or clay, u rather get swollen. Dis clay is still not compacted. So it's water content are yet to be expelled.

As for drilling, depend on the capacity of the drilling rig at ur disposal, 300 is a 1hr job.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 11:23pm On Jan 31, 2017
Henrypraise:

I agree to disagree, d width of a borehole has everytin to do wit d anticipated satisfaction, caving in may occur, casing of well bore becomes expensive n wen casing isn't properly done, debris may fall in n contamination which may lead to fishy smells in wellbore...

infact all guys stay away from a overtly wide n deep borehole if u want to continuously enjoy fresh squirting of fresh water till old age...

I am really not dat much conversant with borehole drilling. I did some VES in school and watched dem do d drilling back in my finals, I really dnt understand d procedure, but based on my work experience in oil drilling, u production column is tinier(optional) den after casing, u need to still circulate in annular of casing to flush out debries dat caved during casing run plus if ur mud can't hold ur well bore together, u need to negotiate for a thicker mud weight.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 11:25pm On Jan 31, 2017
Mrbigman1:

U barely get loose of circulation in shale or clay, u rather get swollen. Dis clay is still not compacted. So it's water content are yet to be expelled.

As for drilling, depend on the capacity of the drilling rig at ur disposal, 300 is a 1hr job.

when sand overlays shale/peat, there is high susceptibility to encounter loss of circulation. are you saying a 300m sedimentary drilling can be done in an hr shocked shocked, well it cud b done in the oil industry, but in water industry...its not possible.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by IVORY2009(m): 11:26pm On Jan 31, 2017
[s]
rusher14:

What it also means is when people scream inflated borehole contracts by Fashola I simply shake my head knowing people are talking from a point of ignorance.

We've not even spoken about installation of casings and screens (Johnson steel more expensive than pvc), requiring the use of cranes. Some projects require overhead steel tanks as part of the project scope, generator house, reticulation to a certain distance away from the source and even further use of a surface tank sometimes.

Projects vary but those geophysical equipment I spoke of at the beginning were routine equipment I used daily back in the day.
[/s]
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 11:28pm On Jan 31, 2017
rusher14:

Nice one, but using a sonic sounder which is radioactive substance in search for water and maybe a resistivity down hoke tool is something I thing is efficy. Dis is not germany Bro, it's Nigeria wia water is all over.

Knowing dat u ve to do water test to pick a potable water.

Make dem no go dey give people contaminated water oh. My hand no dey lol
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 11:37pm On Jan 31, 2017
Larwin:

when sand overlays shale/peat, there is high susceptibility to encounter loss of circulation. are you saying a 300m sedimentary drilling can be done in an hr shocked shocked, well it cud b done in the oil industry, but in water industry...its not possible.

I repeat, the only play u get loose of circulation in clay is in a faulted shale. Passing through a faulted zone or region is rigorous and a soft green shale of 300 meter (900 ft) is not possible.

300 meter green shale can be done in 30min.
PDC bit perfoms better in shale. This is only possible with a high capacity drill rig.

I have drilled 5k meter well horizontal well.
3k TVD.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Ifiegboria(m): 11:39pm On Jan 31, 2017
I'm into borehole drilling business in Benin City. Contact me: 08030925969
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by rusher14: 11:43pm On Jan 31, 2017
Mrbigman1:

Nice one, but using a sonic sounder which is radioactive substance in search for water and maybe a resistivity down hoke tool is something I thing is efficy. Dis is not germany Bro, it's Nigeria wia water is all over.

Knowing dat u ve to do water test to pick a potable water.

Make dem no go dey give people contaminated water oh. My hand no dey lol

The sounder I mentioned isn't radioactive.

It's a simple probe used in measuring the water level within a well. It beeps on coming in contact with water and is ideal for measuring the static water level as the reel is graduated.

It's truly sad to see the standard of borehole engineering hasn't improved in Nigeria since I left it over a decade ago.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by sonnie10: 11:46pm On Jan 31, 2017
Larwin:

Actually, I am prospective customer. The reason I searched for more information on borehole is due to the quote I got from some guys for drilling around that area. It was ridiculously cheap that I became suspicious. They said $700k total ( labor and all materials included)

Based on the dept in the chart I posted; about 200meters, they will need up to 55 pics of those 12ft pipes. When I checked, each pipe cost #10K. That is #550k already.

We have not even added the cost of sump, tank and Labour.

So, I called someone else and he said it wasn't possible for that price. But to my surprise, a neighbor just did his for #700k. My question is, how do they cut cost?
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 11:46pm On Jan 31, 2017
Mrbigman1:

I repeat, the only play u get loose of circulation in clay is in a faulted shale. Passing through a faulted zone or region is rigorous and a soft green shale of 300 meter (900 ft) is not possible.

300 meter green shale can be done in 30min.
PDC bit perfoms better in shale. This is only possible with a high capacity drill rig.

I have drilled 5k meter well horizontal well.
3k TVD.

smile, u r oil driller sir...u cant possibly compare yr tech with wat we water drillers use.....In Nigeria today, dere is no company dat can boast of drilling 300m in sedimentary within an hr, if the company is here..let him com out, i have a project waiting for the coy!

i am nt disputing u nt experiencing loss of circulation in faulted shales, that's the norm. how do u guys combat this in the oil industry? u mind sharing the experience??

1 Like

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by IVORY2009(m): 11:50pm On Jan 31, 2017
[s]
rusher14:

It's a simple probe used in measuring the water level within a well. It beeps on coming in contact with water and is ideal for measuring the static water level as the reel is graduated.

It's truly sad to see the standard of borehole engineering hasn't improved in Nigeria since I left it over a decade ago.
[/s]
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 11:57pm On Jan 31, 2017
sonnie10:

Actually, I am prospective customer. The reason I searched for more information on borehole is due to the quote I got from some guys for drilling around that area. It was ridiculously cheap that I became suspicious. They said $700k total ( labor and all materials included)

Based on the dept in the chart I posted; about 200meters, they will need up to 55 pics of those 12ft pipes. When I checked, each pipe cost #10K. That is #550k already.

We have not even added the cost of sump, tank and Labour.

So, I called someone else and he said it wasn't possible for that price. But to my surprise, a neighbor just did his for #700k. My question is, how do they cut cost?

smile, if you check my thread here...https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling
i tried to talk about costing. Most times people take up a job at a price that are way too low...this is due to competition, we ve lot of drilling coy flooding the street and also hunger grin

thank God you went ahead to do market survey yrsef and you see the amount dey r demanding is nt enough for the project.

well, what they do to cut cost are in various ways.
1) they dont drill the required depth...
2) they buy sophisticated materials....like pvc, pumps so in the end,, dey ll still see small change.

where is d location for d project
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 12:00am On Feb 01, 2017
rusher14:

OK, like the sensor. I know what u re talking now. Well, like I said, dis Nigeria wia we use surging blade and get water in 10 meter in the Niger delta.

It's only in d east dat u need sophisticated instruments to get a productive aquifer. In the north, dey re mostly hilly, water bed is almost on surface, Nigerdelta has the Benin aquferious fm.

It's good, I just finished watching "Captain Philips" den I gave up on Nigeria.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 12:01am On Feb 01, 2017
rusher14:

sir, we do incorporate this to complement our geophysical survey, especially wen u cudnt spread enuf due to obstruction while doing d routine resistivity survey....what we do is to look for lets say an abandoned hole in the area and we send sonde inside.

this will help us know each formation type and thicknesses and so we can design the drilling plan...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Forte Oil To Sell Nigerian Assets, Exit Ghana / CBN Raises Interest Rate To 18.75% / Business Skills Lagos Business School Can't Teach You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.