Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,619 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:21 PM

Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria (19120 Views)

OPL 310: Lekoil Secures $184m Funding For Drilling / Steps/how To Make Money From Information Marketing In Nigeria / First Steps: How To Start A Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by sonnie10: 12:01am On Feb 01, 2017
Larwin:

smile, if you check my thread here...https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling
i tried to talk about costing. Most times people take up a job at a price that are way too low...this is due to competition, we ve lot of drilling coy flooding the street and also hunger grin

thank God you went ahead to do market survey yrsef and you see the amount dey r demanding is nt enough for the project.

well, what they do to cut cost are in various ways.
1) they dont drill the required depth...
2) they buy sophisticated materials....like pvc, pumps so in the end,, dey ll still see small change.

where is d location for d project

Orlu axis
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 12:09am On Feb 01, 2017
sonnie10:

Actually, I am prospective customer. The reason I searched for more information on borehole is due to the quote I got from some guys for drilling around that area. It was ridiculously cheap that I became suspicious. They said $700k total ( labor and all materials included)

Based on the dept in the chart I posted; about 200meters, they will need up to 55 pics of those 12ft pipes. When I checked, each pipe cost #10K. That is #550k already.

We have not even added the cost of sump, tank and Labour.

So, I called someone else and he said it wasn't possible for that price. But to my surprise, a neighbor just did his for #700k. My question is, how do they cut cost?

What do dey need d pipe for? Is it a drilling pipe or casing?

If dey re into d business, the only expenses dey will encounter is buying drilling mud and casing pipe.
Dey should have all other equipments. Mind u, dey retrieve dem after drilling not like dey sink it.
Dey case with pvc and cement. Den complete.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 12:09am On Feb 01, 2017
sonnie10:

Orlu axis

i am sure dey wont drill reach 80m for yr neighbor.

dey ll be using diesel, petrol, water, chemicals, pvc, rope, tubgit/gum, miscellaneous shocked
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by rusher14: 12:20am On Feb 01, 2017
Larwin:

sir, we do incorporate this to complement our geophysical survey, especially wen u cudnt spread enuf due to obstruction while doing d routine resistivity survey....what we do is to look for lets say an abandoned hole in the area and we send sonde inside.

this will help us know each formation type and thicknesses and so we can design the drilling plan...

The sonde is part of the well logging equipment and could be anything from resistivity probe to sonic (rarely used in water wells).

The other gadget is simply a preliminary tool for noting the water level in a well such as one you do not have prior knowledge of or one whose recovery rate you were trying to determine.

The rate at which the well is replenished can be determined over time if you knew the water depth at every given time.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 12:20am On Feb 01, 2017
Larwin:

smile, u r oil driller sir...u cant possibly compare yr tech with wat we water drillers use.....In Nigeria today, dere is no company dat can boast of drilling 300m in sedimentary within an hr, if the company is here..let him com out, i have a project waiting for the coy!

i am nt disputing u nt experiencing loss of circulation in faulted shales, that's the norm. how do u guys combat this in the oil industry? u mind sharing the experience??

Increase mud weight. But first, u circulate very heavy mud (pill) to block off, if it dnt, u increase mud weight. Dis comes with its own disadvantage, d weight and d pressure used in circulating it might cause further damage, and it may block off pores in sandstones required for production. So, dey always slow down, or stop drilling and watch on tank to check if it will happen on a stable well, if it happens, den Dia is danger, if it dnt, dey can go down gradually and increase weight of mud. If it cures, dey go back to normal weight or density.

Every project has a program set down already.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by sonnie10: 12:25am On Feb 01, 2017
Mrbigman1:

What do dey need d pipe for? Is it a drilling pipe or casing?

If dey re into d business, the only expenses dey will encounter is buying drilling mud and casing pipe.
Dey should have all other equipments. Mind u, dey retrieve dem after drilling not like dey sink it.
Dey case with pvc and cement. Den complete.

The casing with PVC is the problem, especially at that dept.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 12:26am On Feb 01, 2017
Mrbigman1:

Increase mud weight. But first, u circulate very heavy mud (pill) to block off, if it dnt, u increase mud weight. Dis comes with its own disadvantage, d weight and d pressure used in circulating it might cause further damage, and it may block off pores in sandstones required for production. So, dey always slow down, or stop drilling and watch on tank to check if it will happen on a stable well, if it happens, den Dia is danger, if it dnt, dey can go down gradually and increase weight of mud. If it cures, dey go back to normal weight or density.

Every project has a program set down already.

yea, thats what we do in water industry too...increasing the mud weight cud lead to caving in or collapsing of the formation. we also do introduce saw dust with the drilling mud so as to seal the pores. another means is to introduce air at zero pressure to drill pass that formation depending on the formation sha.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 12:28am On Feb 01, 2017
rusher14:

The sonde is part of the well logging equipment and could be anything from resistivity probe to sonic (rarely used in water wells).

The other gadget is simply a preliminary tool for noting the water level in a well such as one you do not have prior knowledge of or one whose recovery rate you were trying to determine.

The rate at which the well is replenished can be determined over time if you knew the water depth at every given time.

yeap..
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 12:28am On Feb 01, 2017
Larwin:

sir, we do incorporate this to complement our geophysical survey, especially wen u cudnt spread enuf due to obstruction while doing d routine resistivity survey....what we do is to look for lets say an abandoned hole in the area and we send sonde inside.

this will help us know each formation type and thicknesses and so we can design the drilling plan...

Is d sounder designed to pick layers?

I don miss geology oh and it's fvcking assumptions.

U get sleepless nights and assume heaven and earth, in d morning supervisor calls u a idiot. U go back to site, gride and get same readings again, d main idiot says goan remove noise.
Nigerian lectures are trained to depress Dia students.
We dnt see anything good in anyone.

2 Likes

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 12:30am On Feb 01, 2017
sonnie10:

and this is the most delicate part of the borehole, if they use a substandard pvc, ur borehole cud nt last long....collapsing inview
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 12:31am On Feb 01, 2017
Larwin:

yea, thats what we do in water industry too...increasing the mud weight cud lead to caving in or collapsing of the formation. we also do introduce saw dust with the drilling mud so as to seal the pores. another means is to introduce air at zero pressure to drill pass that formation depending on the formation sha.

Wow!
Nice innovation.
How do u do d air and d zero pressure?

And do u recycle mud? Or it just waste on coming to surface?
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 12:32am On Feb 01, 2017
Mrbigman1:

Is d sounder designed to pick layers?

I don miss geology oh and it's fvcking assumptions.

U get sleepless nights and assume heaven and earth, in d morning supervisor calls u a idiot. U go back to site, gride and get same readings again, d main idiot says goan remove noise.
Nigerian lectures are trained to depress Dia students.
We dnt see anything good in anyone.

lols, the sonde has gamma rays dat distinguish sand from shale.
dnt mind doz lecturers, dey dnt know dat field experience is totally different from classroom
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 12:36am On Feb 01, 2017
Mrbigman1:

Wow!
Nice innovation.
How do u do d air and d zero pressure?

And do u recycle mud? Or it just waste on coming to surface?

u just put the pressure at zero bar, at dat level, it ll still be efficient to bring cutting up. the mud are always recycled, u dnt expect it to be disposed off na....
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 12:38am On Feb 01, 2017
sonnie10:

Is d hole not a vertical well? Abi dey just drill straight down? Dnt dey ream? Dey need to at a time come up and clear blockages. If dey drill a diverted well den it's Dia fault. Dis can come mostly with tripod due to its dancing around.

I am not dat good in borehole sha, just talking from what I observe when ever I see dem working.
Lol, dey always ask, "oga, u be geologist? If I say yes, dey would ask me to leave d site." lol oga say make we no dey allow geologist dey come around, una too dey complain. Lol.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 12:48am On Feb 01, 2017
Larwin:

lols, the sonde has gamma rays dat distinguish sand from shale.
dnt mind doz lecturers, dey dnt know dat field experience is totally different from classroom

But rusher say the sounder dnt ve radioactive source. Make un dey careful with una preek oh! Lol.

Do u probe an open hole or just place on d floor and send down signal?
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 12:52am On Feb 01, 2017
Larwin:

u just put the pressure at zero bar, at dat level, it ll still be efficient to bring cutting up. the mud are always recycled, u dnt expect it to be disposed off na....

How I know dat Dia is a borehole work going on kilometers away is the trail of flowing mud. I trace and go to watch. I ve never seen a recycled borehole mud. Do u sieve off the cuttings?

Nice meeting u guy?

Ehen, d zero pressure stuff, wen ur pump is at zero bar, dnt it still generate energy?
How do it circulate?

I ve never witnessed a high tech bore hole drilling sha. I just see dem on facebook.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by figoperch: 6:10am On Feb 01, 2017
Mrbigman1:

Wia ve u used these equipments? I am sure not in Nigeria for borehole drilling.

Any competent hand needs a terrameter to start with. You need to have an idea of the depth you ate drilling to.

Profiling and depth sounding using a terrameter will help you know the best position to site your well and the depth to best aquifer.

You may want to complement with software like WingLink, surfer, IP etc.

In areas where there is high proliferation of granite in the subsurface, you may need to locate a fracture point. That's where VLF, EM and others come into play before resistivity surveys.

All these help you site your well where you can get optimal value.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 8:38am On Feb 01, 2017
Mrbigman1:

But rusher say the sounder dnt ve radioactive source. Make un dey careful with una preek oh! Lol.

Do u probe an open hole or just place on d floor and send down signal?

yea, its nt radioactive....it can only detect radioactive element in the subsurface and it dont have to come in contact with anythn b4 measurement is made thereby making it useful in both cased or uncased hole.

Nice meeting u here too.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by igbanbajo(m): 1:44pm On Feb 11, 2018
Bookmarked.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by onyeogalu1(m): 11:53am On Jun 13, 2018
rusher14:
In addition, geophysical equipment such as ABEM terrameter from Atlas Copco, well logging equipment, as well as electromagnetic equipment for VLF measurements (Ronka Geonics used to be popular) could be quite useful.

Pump testing equipment, water level sounder and of course, interpretative software could make the your life easier in achieving your aim of precision and quick delivery.

Do you have these equipments you mentioned above for sale?
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by rusher14: 10:23pm On Jun 14, 2018
onyeogalu1:

Do you have these equipments you mentioned above for sale?

No I don't.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by onyeogalu1(m): 9:54am On Jun 15, 2018
rusher14:

No I don't.

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's The Use Of Foreign Exchange Reserve? / Forte Oil To Sell Nigerian Assets, Exit Ghana / CBN Raises Interest Rate To 18.75%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.