Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,176 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:00 AM

Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria (19135 Views)

OPL 310: Lekoil Secures $184m Funding For Drilling / Steps/how To Make Money From Information Marketing In Nigeria / First Steps: How To Start A Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by VastFinder: 4:54pm On Jan 31, 2017
Nigeria is a rich country with enough water, but there are places in Nigeria where access to portable water is scarce. Few people leverage this issue by starting their own borehole business in their area which is a profitable business venture. They know that water as an essential commodity is important and when it is scarce, people go the extra mile to ensure that they do all it takes to have supply of water in their homes, offices or even farms.

If you find yourself in such position, you can start off your own borehole business in Nigeria and make cool money from it. What you need do is to draw up a sample borehole drilling business plan, finance, hire equipment, employ necessary staff and start off. This post will help teach you how to start off.

The technicality behind drilling a borehole requires some form of training to avail one the expertise to run this type of business. This is because if you don’t know how things work in borehole drilling business, you are likely going to find it difficult to make profits and keep the business active.

In countries like the United States, the United Kingdom where there are laws that restricts the number of boreholes that can be drilled in an area due to natural hazards like earthquake, tremor, e.t.c which are caused by indiscriminate drilling of boreholes. Nigeria as a country is an exception in this regard.

Below are the steps that would guide you to effectively start your own borehole drilling business in Nigeria easily and start making profit:

1. Carry out a Feasibility Study in Different Areas of Your Choice
You should be aware that borehole drilling business don’t work in every place especially in the urban areas that are usually industrialized. You should first carry out proper feasibility studies to be sure that such business of this nature will thrive in such location. Other factors that would guide you when conducting your feasibility studies are the price of equipment needed, startup capital, and cost of running the borehole drilling business, e.t.c.

2. Learn the Technical Skills Required
As earlier stated, borehole drilling is a technical job and can’t be done by everybody but experts in the field. Aside drilling for water, borehole drilling companies are known to drill for gas and crude oil. So if you want to successfully start your own borehole drilling business, you should apply for training on borehole drilling in any college or university that offers such unless you want to employ experts who will manage the operations of your borehole drilling company.

3. Write Your Business Plan
After acquiring the necessary training and experience, your next step is to write a good business plan for your borehole drilling company. In one of our previous post, we covered how to write a good and professional business plan. The main reason for this plan is to give your business direction as it must cover the important areas. A good business plan helps attract serious investors to any business in Nigeria or even to request for a loan.

4. Register Your Business Name and Choose a Good Location
This is another important step if you are very serious to own a borehole drilling business. Ensure that you register the company business name before you start operations. Nowadays, the procedure in registering a business in Nigeria can even be done online. As long as you meet the necessary requirements, visit the Corporate Affairs Commission and register.

Also, choosing a good business location to establish your business is important. Choose a site that is easily accessible to clients who would need your services. Places nearest to construction sites should be a good place to start from as you might be contacted by various homes that might need to drill boreholes for various reasons.

5. Purchase the Required Equipment Needed
Honestly, the equipment involved in drilling a borehole minus its maintenance is capital intensive. Acquiring the required equipment is very vital if you must succeed. Some of the equipments that you would need to be able to start your own borehole drilling company in Nigeria include: Down Hole Drilling Rig or Boremaster 120 Hydraulic Down Hole Drilling Rig, Drag But Stock, Drill Rods, Drilling Rig Counter Weight, Diesel Engine with Hydraulic Power Pack, Safety Helmet, Safety Boots, Overall, and Hand Gloves and so on.

6. Hiring Employees
As with other capital intensive businesses, borehole drilling business can’t be operated by one person. You would need to hire both skilled and unskilled (laborers) employees. Once you hire your staff, ensure you make provision for their training (safety training inclusive) and insurance cover for them.

7. Advertise, Build Contact and Source for Contracts
Try to build a network of contact especially with construction companies. Although, there are several places you can source for contracts for your borehole drilling business. Places like construction companies, government, private homes, offices are some places you can source for works. Also advertise your companies on newspapers, popular websites, radio and television as you aim to expand your business as you start your own borehole drilling business and make profit from it in Nigeria.

Source: https://vastfinder..com/2017/01/steps-how-to-start-borehole-drilling.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by MrGreenMavro: 5:19pm On Jan 31, 2017
cheesy

drives in...na geology i study dat year for school o! geophysical groundwater exploration was my project topic...but as job no dy, MMM ti take over cheesy cheesy

When i GH sha, i fit start d business grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Okundaye4(m): 5:20pm On Jan 31, 2017
hmmm
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Osuman(m): 5:21pm On Jan 31, 2017
OK
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by astereex(m): 5:21pm On Jan 31, 2017
Alright. I think i will borrow spare money from my aunty or igwe 2pac and start this bizness. But i don't know how many million i will ask for
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by maxwelloweezy(m): 5:21pm On Jan 31, 2017
WELL DONE SIR
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:22pm On Jan 31, 2017
OP, are you a geophysicst or hydrogeologist??
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by apoti(m): 5:22pm On Jan 31, 2017
I came here thinking it's a business I can start with the N10,000 under my bed, only to realise I need like 50million to buy equipment.

Walking out of thread quietly

26 Likes

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by orimsamsam(m): 5:22pm On Jan 31, 2017
Or just go learn geology or Geo physics for school

2 Likes

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by marcusaurelio(m): 5:23pm On Jan 31, 2017
Nice write up
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by princechiemekam(m): 5:26pm On Jan 31, 2017
Nice inf Op,am a geologist and I need d info. Thankx
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by whizbee(m): 5:27pm On Jan 31, 2017
Very insightful... nice one
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Donald3d(m): 5:30pm On Jan 31, 2017
its gonna cost a fortune na

1 Like

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by hyfr(m): 5:31pm On Jan 31, 2017
Educative. Already tired of seeing political threads on front page. Give is something to refresh ourselves with
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by 2shur: 5:34pm On Jan 31, 2017
abegi.
like say na yankee we dey.
to have a bore hole in your private compound na beans..
talk more of company or as business entity
u dey high on panadol
na beans

2 Likes

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Chigorkizz(m): 5:38pm On Jan 31, 2017
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by braveheart008(m): 5:50pm On Jan 31, 2017
I am into borehole drilling business in Abuja. You can contact me if you have any borehole to drill here in Abuja. My contact is 08158101071
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Astrogeotech: 5:51pm On Jan 31, 2017
its a ok business, contact astro geotech nigeria limited
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 5:57pm On Jan 31, 2017
Op, if u re a geologist, or any geologist should assist in writing on step by step on how to explore and locate water underground before spurding a well to getting an ore.

Also write on likely hitches to encounter like stuck pipe, wash pipe to mud loss.

I for do am but I dey very occupied.

1 Like

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Iamabimbola(m): 5:58pm On Jan 31, 2017
Starting this business would cost how much?
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Temi011(f): 6:00pm On Jan 31, 2017
Mrbigman1:
Op, if u re a geologist, or any geologist should assist in writing on step by step on how to explore and locate water underground before spurding a well to getting an ore.

Also write on likely hitches to encounter like stuck pipe, wash pipe to mud loss.

I for do am but I dey very occupied.

hello you can check here https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 31, 2017
This is the kind of thread that should flood Nairaland front page everyday - job creation ... Not some rubbish post about celebrities, big brother, big sister or any rubbish that would not inspire and drive one to be self employed

7 Likes

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by metallisc(m): 6:10pm On Jan 31, 2017
astereex:
Alright. I think i will borrow spare money from my aunty or igwe 2pac and start this bizness. But i don't know how many million i will ask for

Come on! Borrow 30million and shine! cheesy what'd i say?? cool
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Henrypraise: 6:17pm On Jan 31, 2017
once a well bore isn't productive, afta u av drilled deep n wide, pls abandon d borehole n move to a virgin land, drill deeper n wider till u get wat u want...

remember don't leave ur tools in d wellbore, just pack ur equipment n zoom off...

1 Like

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Insightz(m): 6:20pm On Jan 31, 2017
Very insightful OP.

I might add:

1. Remember that you have to import most of these equipment to be sure you are getting good quality.

2. Preferably register a limited liability company (Ltd) to absorb potential liabilities

3. Target your potential clients in areas with need for water

4. Locate your business where you do not have to move your equipment too far. You cant be Lagos and expect to realistically move equipment to Abuja. You get my drift.

5. Op, I think one always start small. Like using hand drills. This works better in sandy most soils like Lagos. This may not work well in the north or other areas with hard soil.

BTW: Seun, these are the kinds of posts that should grace the front page on a daily basis. There are so many educative, insightful posts that are ignored for obvious reasons. You guys must do better to empower people through this platform. As much as possible try to strike a balance on the front page.

4 Likes

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Larwin(m): 6:24pm On Jan 31, 2017
Temi011:

hello you can check here https://www.nairaland.com/3236298/know-geophysical-investigation-borehole-drilling

yea the thread talks about importance of geophysical investigation for borehole drilling, mineral exploration, foundation/engineering investigation.

borehole drilling business is a very scary one....you need to get your technicals right before embarking on it.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 6:32pm On Jan 31, 2017
Temi011:

Thanks but I am a geologist, I just wished someone wrote it.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Mrbigman1(m): 6:41pm On Jan 31, 2017
Anyway, I did my studies in the East, Anambra basin and in anambra state.

My project work was on geology and geophysic in the anambra basin, ( aguleri and environs)

I found out that water and portable water is scares in anambra state. And drilling is very expensive due to the terrain. Iron stone (consolidated iron band) and thick clay stone formation banding the Nanka sand which holds the ore.

From my research as published, aquifer that holds portable water in that area is about +/- 60m, but drillers should be wary of the mudstone and mud type should be put into consideration to avoid swelling and hence stuck pipe.

2 Likes

Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by rusher14: 6:43pm On Jan 31, 2017
In addition, geophysical equipment such as ABEM terrameter from Atlas Copco, well logging equipment, as well as electromagnetic equipment for VLF measurements (Ronka Geonics used to be popular) could be quite useful.

Pump testing equipment, water level sounder and of course, interpretative software could make the your life easier in achieving your aim of precision and quick delivery.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by jeftalene(m): 6:43pm On Jan 31, 2017
For your borehole drilling, Pile foundation construction and associated works anywhere in Nigeria at moderate cost.
Call: Engr. Osaz' on 08167394799.
Re: Steps: How To Start A Borehole Drilling Business In Nigeria by Temi011(f): 6:57pm On Jan 31, 2017
Mrbigman1:
Anyway, I did my studies in the East, Anambra basin and in anambra state.

My project work was on geology and geophysic in the anambra basin, ( aguleri and environs)

I found out that water and portable water is scares in anambra state. And drilling is very expensive due to the terrain. Iron stone (consolidated iron band) and thick clay stone formation banding the Nanka sand which holds the ore.

From my research as published, aquifer that holds portable water in that area is about +/- 60m, but drillers should be wary of the mudstone and mud type should be put into consideration to avoid swelling and hence stuck pipe.

yea, in addition imo shales and enugu coal also trend to some areas of anambra state...in particular ifite, in awka. i got to know this from a geophysical investigation i did dere. and that is why drilling is very expensive dere.

you have to spend like 30m....this is because you only have sands from the top down to like 20m, after this, its coal/peat and shale you ll b drilling till like 300m....and as a geologist you know what it means drilling thr shale.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Business Skills Lagos Business School Can't Teach You / How To Earn #10000 A Day Without Spending A Dime / Guinness Posts Over N5bn Loss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.