Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,194 members, 7,818,640 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:30 PM

The Malaria And Typhoid Debacle - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Malaria And Typhoid Debacle (695 Views)

The MALARIA THREAD !!!( AWARENESS, PREVENTION And TREATMENT) / How Do I Treat This Stubborn Malaria And Typhoid I Have Had For Over 4 Months? / Nigerian Invents A Water Device That Prevents Cholera And Typhoid Infections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Malaria And Typhoid Debacle by CatfishBilly: 10:01am On Feb 01, 2017
The impending antibiotics apocalypse in Nigerian Healthcare and the Malaria & Typhoid Diagnosis Debacle.

So, a patient came in with the test result of a Urine Microscopy/Culture/Sensitivity test, There was significant growth of a bacteria that was resistant to everything. I mean your Penicillins, Ceftriaxones, Ciprofloxacins, Azithromycins, Gentamicins, about 10 different antibiotics were tested, I just shipped the patient off to a Teaching Hospital. This is the 2nd time it's happening in 2 years.
This got me wondering. Why won't we have antibiotics resistance in our practice when they are as common as candy as is readily available to every Tom, Dick and Harry that wants one, without even presenting a prescription?
Just walk into any Pharmacy or Chemist (Chemists a.k.a Patent Medicine shops aren't even supposed to stock antibiotics to begin with) and ask for one, they'll gladly give you. You can buy any drug you want over the counter in Nigeria including Chemotherapy drugs (for treating cancer) which are supposed to be tightly controlled.
Antibiotics are so much abused to the extent that people don't even complete their dosage, They use 3 or 4 tablets and dump the rest. We all have unfinished packs of Ampiclox and Ciprofloxacin on our nightstands.
The Popular Ampiclox should be taken every 6 hours, people rarely do that.
I've seen people use antibiotics for a myriad of health issues that don't even need antibiotics for example
1) To clean the "system" after menstruation (as if your body is a V6 engine that needs oil change)
2) To clean the "system" after having unprotected sex ( I still don't know this system they keep referring to)
3) As emergency contraception after unprotected sex (Has Postinor and all his brothers finished in the pharmacy?)
4) For the almighty Nigerian "Toilet Infection" (Which is almost always vulvovaginal candidiasis, a fungal infection)
5) For a clean cut, injury or bruise.
6) For cold, cough and cattarh (Which is caused by a virus, unless it becomes cross infected with a bacteria, your actifeds and procolds and cough syrup will do the trick).
The Pharmacists who are supposed to be the gate keepers preventing us from the apocalypse instead of doing their jobs are busy trying to call themselves consultants and trying to close down pharmacies owned by doctors, Which brings me to the biggest abuse of antibiotics in our country.
7) The Malaria and Typhoid Diagnosis. Just walk in to any private or Primary/Secondary healthcare center and complain that you have Fever, body pain, bitter taste in the mouth, bla bla bla and mistakenly mention vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea. They'll instantly give you a diagnosis of Malaria and Typhoid which begs the question, since when did Vomiting, abdominal pain and diarrhea cease to be a symptom of Acute Malaria? Check medscape if you feel I'm wrong. A prescription for antimalarials and Ciprofloxacin(an antibiotic) is given to cure the non-existent Typhoid. It has gotten so bad that people now go to Pharmacies to buy Ciprofloxacin plus antimalarials whenever they have even the slightest symptom of Malaria because to them, it's Malaria and Typhoid. I can't even begin to count how many times patients showed me a pack of Ciprofloxacin as the antimalarial that they are using. It is that bad. To further solidify this charade, They'll ask for a Widal test which is the most useless test ever as far as I'm concerned, because a Single Widal test means absolutely nothing because anything that will give you a fever will give you a significant Widal titre including, you've guessed it, Malaria! A Widal test is done then repeated to check for Doubled titres in 10 to 14 days time to clinch the diagnosis, that is if the preferred diagnostic work up like Bone marrow and Blood culture isn't available.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Urgent Need To Visit The Toilet Immediately After Meal / Teeth Whitening In Lagos / See The Effect Of Wrong Medication Given To A 13yrs Old In Military Hospital ABJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.