Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,739 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:23 PM

Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down (21646 Views)

Immigration To Canada- The Winners / Pitures Of Illegal Immigration To Europe. / Immigration To Australia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by ideas78: 2:57pm On Dec 02, 2009
Hello House,

For all our members in the states either as permanent residents or US citizens.
Which state is the best to recommend for anyone desiring to relocate based on permanent residency as a Family
Your opinions will be highly appreciated.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by tanimz(f): 3:05pm On Dec 02, 2009
Depends on what part you want to go to. The United States have very diverse locations. Depending on your taste, but as for me- I like a very quiet and peaceful area most likely Michigan and cos there is a lot of muslims there and I can get the type of job I want with my degree. Please narrow the type of things you like- maybe a state with good high schools, accessible transportation, etc
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by ideas78: 3:23pm On Dec 02, 2009
@tanimz

I am currently into telecoms engineering and my wife has a MSC in Human Nutrition.
We are looking at the following factors:
1. A state with a sizable black population.
2. Good ICT institutes and Health
3. Where Enterprenureship can easily grow.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by tanimz(f): 3:55pm On Dec 02, 2009
That would be somewhere in the North-east region

Think about New York, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New Jersey.

Those four states are connected to each other and you can live in any one of them and have a job in any of the states (transportation is accessible and relatively cheap)

But most likely if you are thinking of residing in any one of them chose a suburban city and you can work in an the urban area. The suburbs have bigger and cheaper houses and better schools- from elementary to high school.

1 Like

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by MsTom(f): 4:46pm On Dec 02, 2009
You could also consider Maryland, Texas and Georgia (esp. Atlanta).

1 Like

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by tanimz(f): 4:54pm On Dec 02, 2009
Yh, Georgia is good choice too!
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by sunboy(m): 5:10pm On Dec 02, 2009
Though i've not been there but im used to yankee somehow. I think New york, new jersey, maryland n indiana esp. Indianapolis will match up ur list 90%. Yankees should correct me if im wrong.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by blackspade(m): 5:13pm On Dec 02, 2009
I would go for the southern states, specifically Texas, Georgia, or North Carolina. Before the recession these states were BOOMING economically, and after the recession they will more likely than not continue to boom. The quality of life in these states is high and the cost of living in low.

Don't come to California, this state is bleeped up and I can't wait to get out!!

1 Like

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by tanimz(f): 5:15pm On Dec 02, 2009
blackspade:

I would go for the southern states, specifically Texas, Georgia, or North Carolina. Don't come to California, this state is bleeped up and I can't wait to get out!!

Lol, im applying to ucb. CA is not that bad!!
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by blackspade(m): 5:34pm On Dec 02, 2009
tanimz:

Lol, im applying to ucb. CA is not that bad!!

Wow, that's a great school, I hope you all the best!

This state really is terrible though, but I will admit that Northern California is a million times better than Southern California (but Northern California is way more expensive). Not only is this state overrun with illegal immigrants who suck the life out of tax payer funded services (thus lowering the quality of these services), it's also in the midst of the worst budget crisis in its history. For UC schools, they raised undergraduate fees by 32% last month, which made it equivalent to tuitions!! This is effecting many people including myself, who have aspirations to go to UC schools, but can't afford them. Right now I'm a senior in high school due to graduate in June, and I'm filling out as many scholarships/grants as I can, as well as applications to many affordable out of state schools. I passed my high school exit exam, have good grades, and got good SAT scores, but because of the extreme competitiveness here, I am forced to look elsewhere (I've filled out 12 applications so far from 6 different states). grin

I'm putting my faith in Cal State schools and the out of state schools I applied to. The three schools that I really want to get accepted into are CSULB, UWash and Wake Forest.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by tanimz(f): 5:38pm On Dec 02, 2009
Dont worry, uld get scholarships. Im already in college bt I want to transfer and I want to go somewhere far (I live in NY btw) thats why i chose ucb.

Good luck!!
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by blackspade(m): 5:43pm On Dec 02, 2009
tanimz:

Dont worry, uld get scholarships. Im already in college bt I want to transfer and I want to go somewhere far (I live in NY btw) thats why i chose ucb.

Good luck!!

Thanks, I wish you good luck as well. smiley
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by sayhi2ay(m): 5:45pm On Dec 02, 2009
blackspade:

, Not only is this state overrun with illegal immigrants who suck the life out of tax payer funded services (thus lowering the quality of these services), it's also in the midst of the worst budget crisis in its history. ,

What state is that ?
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by tanimz(f): 5:49pm On Dec 02, 2009
California
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by blackspade(m): 5:51pm On Dec 02, 2009
ideas78:

@tanimz

I am currently into telecoms engineering and my wife has a MSC in Human Nutrition.
We are looking at the following factors:
1. A state with a sizable black population.
2. Good ICT institutes and Health
3. Where Enterprenureship can easily grow.

You should definitely look towards North Carolina then. They have a large black population (23% of the state pop and growing rapidly due to immigration and black american migration from the northeast), and the business climate there is excellent (it was ranked the seventh best state for entrepreneurs in the nation, with 2 NC metro areas coming in the top 3 best metros for entrepreneurs). The ICT sector there is booming, and the state is home to the largest and most prominent high tech research park in the nation (its often compared to the Silicon Valley). I don't know much about health, but I'm sure with a growing population there is a demand. Here are some links to information about what I'm talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_carolina

http://www.entrepreneur.com/bestcities/region/states.html

http://www.entrepreneur.com/bestcities/region/large.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle_Park
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by johnkent(m): 7:07pm On Dec 02, 2009
If you want a good job and good quality of life, come to the Sunflower state of KANSAS.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by omega25red(m): 7:59pm On Dec 02, 2009
sunboy:

Though i've not been there but im used to yankee somehow. I think New york, new jersey, maryland n indiana esp. Indianapolis will match up your list 90%. Yankees should correct me if im wrong.

I agree with you about indiana because i knew a couple who came out here and in 2 years they bought a nice house in indiana
Texas, ATL, washington DC, Baltimore, Florida, california is full of black people New york and New jersey too but the competition for jobs and taxes and cost of living are very high there.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by johnkent(m): 11:11pm On Dec 02, 2009
omega25red:

I agree with you about indiana because i knew a couple who came out here and in 2 years they bought a nice house in indiana
Texas, ATL, washington DC, Baltimore, Florida, california is full of black people New york and New jersey too but the competition for jobs and taxes and cost of living are very high there.
Well, because they lived there for 2 yrs and bought a house doesn't mean that everyone that moves to Indiana buys a house after 2 yrs.
Every state has its pros and cons. U just have to find the right town to live at.
The midwest is usually a good place to move to. Much cheaper cost of living than the east coast or west coast.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by buffnaija: 3:36am On Dec 03, 2009
try new york city . its very immigrant friendly,lots of immigrants. but its also very expensive sha. so you can try surrounding areas like philadelphia or new jersey to live.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by ayomidej(f): 1:47pm On Dec 03, 2009
Houston, Maryland or Chicago grin
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by johnkent(m): 1:57pm On Dec 03, 2009
Just stay away from anywhere that has a large population of Nigerians. Not usually a good place.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by nethacker(m): 5:25pm On Dec 03, 2009
johnkent:

Just stay away from anywhere that has a large population of Nigerians. Not usually a good place.
grin grin grin grin
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by Nobody: 6:14pm On Dec 03, 2009
johnkent:

looooooooool like Houston, TX?
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by sayhi2ay(m): 6:18pm On Dec 03, 2009
johnkent:

Whatever!!! so much for "great nation, good people"
If you don't have any positive thing to say about Nigerians, or the post, keep to yourself.
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by Bossman(m): 12:39am On Dec 04, 2009
I think you should focus on the city rather than the state. Almost very US state will have a large sizable black population, especially in the big cities. Also, your chances of getting a good job a probably higher in the large cities that have a lot of big companies. NY, Boston, Chicago, Atlanta, Houston, etc. All the big cities also have a large Naija presence.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by johnkent(m): 1:26am On Dec 04, 2009
sayhi2ay:

Whatever!!! so much for "great nation, good people"
If you don't have any positive thing to say about Nigerians, or the post, keep to yourself.
That was my opinion. If u dont like it, u can hit the highway.

faakay:

looooooooool like Houston, TX?
Yup, U wont see me living anywhere around Houston or Dallas
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by gongoaso1: 3:44am On Dec 04, 2009
johnkent:

lmao
na lie, cos na we dey jolly pass   grin cheesy grin
depends really. if you like being by yourself without extra headaches, then you take the above advise.
else if you like jollying, look for where niajas full.no dull moment with them. on a cool night while you decide to just chill with ur barbie, they (naijas) show up and spoil the moment for u  angry .
ever ready to spend your pepper for u.
but u need them around to spice things up, else u can turn a psycho  shocked without realizing it   grin cheesy grin
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by SeanT21(f): 3:57pm On Dec 05, 2009
Ill advise you to settle down in the South. I used to live up north( Maryland) and its freaking expensive. We moved down south to North Carolina and its very affordable. Charlotte, which is 30 minutes from where I live, is one of the top cities in the south.There are many Africans that live here also.Charlotte is run over by Liberians though.There is also Raleigh but I have not been up there. Do me a favor and do not move on the east, north or west coast. Come down south. Places like North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, etc will be good for you.

1 Like

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by omega25red(m): 6:45pm On Dec 05, 2009
johnkent:

Well, because they lived there for 2 yrs and bought a house doesn't mean that everyone that moves to Indiana buys a house after 2 yrs.
Every state has its pros and cons. U just have to find the right town to live at.
The midwest is usually a good place to move to. Much cheaper cost of living than the east coast or west coast.

I dont remember typing that being in indiana for 2 years means you buy a house. The point of what i wrote is to show that there is oppotunity if you work hard in a place like indiana. the pace is slower than say nyc where you work and work and work and hardly ever enjoy your hard work due to high taxes and high cost of living. Thats what i meant
Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by agathamari(f): 6:46pm On Dec 06, 2009
picking a state or a region for that matter has many things to consider. do you prefer warm or cold climates. dry or moist (lot of rain/snow). do you mind living in mountains or prefer plains. do you have issues with forest or wildlife (some areas you will never see a wild animal while others will be a comon fixture). what "disaster" is the area prone to and can you deal with it (tornados, squals, huricanes, earthquakes). do you have children. what is your age (some areas attact the elderly while others middle aged and others young adults). what type of buisness are you looking to work for/open. what is your religion (american mid west is refered to as the bible belt for good reason). what is your education plans (are you going back to school) cost of living expances. and much more

1 Like

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by Bossman(m): 6:55pm On Dec 06, 2009
Exactly. Could not have said it better. The US is such a HUGE country, with each region/state having characteristics that make them unique. Everything that is posted below should be factored into your decision.

agathamari:

picking a state or a region for that matter has many things to consider. do you prefer warm or cold climates. dry or moist (lot of rain/snow). do you mind living in mountains or prefer plains. do you have issues with forest or wildlife (some areas you will never see a wild animal while others will be a comon fixture). what "disaster" is the area prone to and can you deal with it (tornados, squals, huricanes, earthquakes). do you have children. what is your age (some areas attact the elderly while others middle aged and others young adults). what type of buisness are you looking to work for/open. what is your religion (american mid west is refered to as the bible belt for good reason). what is your education plans (are you going back to school) cost of living expances. and much more

1 Like

Re: Immigration To The US: Which Of The States Is The Best Place To Settle Down by ubiaa5(f): 10:26pm On Dec 07, 2009
Abeg make una come minnesota na,ive been here for 6yrs n have met only a handfull of nigerians.Meanwhile i wan run b4 cold finally kill me grin grin.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Vehicular Movement Through Kabba In Kogi State Is Almost Impossible Right Now. / Lagos-Ibadan Rail Passengers To Pay ₦6000 For First Class Tickets / Nigerian Student Attacked In India Over Parking Spot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.