Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married (28554 Views)

COVID-19: FG Considering ‘Isolated Lockdowns’ As Cases Hit 5,621 / "We Are Both AS Genotype And We Don't Consider Break-Up As An Option" / Knowing Your Genotype And Blood Group (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by donmayorgroup(m): 9:18pm On Feb 01, 2017
Why You Should Know your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married

A lot of Medical doctors and marriage counselors advise that couples who are about to get married should go for specific medical tests before tying the knot.
While this is very important, many couples don't heed this advice for fear of probably incompatible results, especially as regards their haemoglobin genotype, emerging to become a reason for not getting married after such a long and deep emotional investment into each other (it can be very heart-breaking and some people might go into depression that would require psychiatric care if they're compelled to cut off the relationship and marriage after such a long time of planning about their future together).

Instead of waiting till you meet that special half with whom you will spend your lifetime before realizing the importance of such specific medical tests, why not go for these medical tests now that you're probably single or have not met that special someone yet?

Whether you're a man or woman, you should undergo a haemoglobin genotype test now before you meet your lifetime partner when it might either be too late or the outcome of your incompatibility could drive you into a mental breakdown.

The Importance of knowing your Haemoglobin genotype

There are several disease variants of the haemoglobin gene, but the commonest ones are haemoglobin S and C. The normal haemoglobin gene present in adult humans is A which exist as AA.

However, some people have the A and S pairing as AS; some have the S and another S pairing as SS which is known as sickle cell disease; and a few people have S and C pairing to form SC which is also as bad as SS.

If your haemoglobin genotype test comes out as AS, SS or SC, it means you can give birth to a child with SS if you marry someone who is AS or SS. For instance, if a man with AS marries a woman with AS, one in every 4 children they have will be SS. But that's probability in theory. In reality that one child could be the first child; and that one child in every 4 children could manifest as 4 children in every 16 children, meaning the first 4 children can be SS and the couple has to give birth to more than 10 children to stand a chance of having a child who is either AA or AS!

Thats huge!!

Taking care of a child who is SS can be a nightmare especially for couples who don't have the financial capacity; and even for those with the financial resources, the child may still die from a crisis or complication that can occur when nobody expects it. Hence, knowing your haemoglobin genotype before entering a relationship that could lead to marriage will enable you talk about it with your partner, and if you're incompatible, the possibility of marriage can easily be ruled out at this early stage of the relationship, unlike when you're getting to know your haemoglobin genotype after proposal and the wedding is a few weeks away!

What's your genotype? Go find out today!

http://www.michaeldoosblog.info/2017/02/why-you-should-know-your-genotype.html

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by dimexy247(m): 9:32pm On Feb 01, 2017
Very important

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Paulpaulpaul(m): 9:38pm On Feb 01, 2017
AA all the way but malaria too de disturb AA

62 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by miqos03: 10:03pm On Feb 01, 2017
ok
Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by ngmgeek(m): 10:04pm On Feb 01, 2017
Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 01, 2017
The best way is to know your genotype even before going into a relationship.
The moment u are already in a relationship, a lot of emotions and thought may hinder u from acting on the results.
I have seen doctors and religious leaders who got married irrespective of the fact that there are genotypically incompatible

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by miqos03: 10:04pm On Feb 01, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:
true talk. am AA

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by ChuzzyBlog: 10:05pm On Feb 01, 2017
Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Naijalabel(m): 10:05pm On Feb 01, 2017
AA.. AS..SS
Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by nbright: 10:06pm On Feb 01, 2017
Everybody for my house na AA kiss kiss kiss kiss

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Naijalabel(m): 10:06pm On Feb 01, 2017
SS

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by buygala(m): 10:06pm On Feb 01, 2017
And one deluded fellow who attended Shiloh 2016 or some other religious brainwash festival, having an AS genotype, will go right ahead and marry someone with an AS, AC, or even SS or SC genotype, and then proclaim "MY CASE IS DIFFERENT" or whatever silly slogan the "man of God " has bestowed on them for that yearundecided

The Pentecostals call this kinda imbecilic behaviour "a leap of faith" sad

I call it "self-destruct" angry

In fact sef, there should be a law criminalizing the act of any two people with the S or C In their genotype marrying each other....if they do, they should also be charged with murder if they beget SS kids, because they understood there is a possibility of them bearing an SS kid who may go through a lot of pain and then a premature and painful death all because his parents refused to have sense, or had sense but refused to use it undecided

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by agarawu23(m): 10:06pm On Feb 01, 2017
Team AA grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 01, 2017
Please educate the people further and stop spreading half-truths and fear.

This is akin to championing eugenics...what happens to those with SS and SC do they stop existing for you and your purified AAs?

Before you jump in and quote get the facts and point them out to me.

~Selah

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by LilSmith55(m): 10:06pm On Feb 01, 2017
AA...
Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Odunharry(m): 10:07pm On Feb 01, 2017
Nicely put... Love alone isn't enough reason to get married to that special person.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by zuby4real10(m): 10:07pm On Feb 01, 2017
my own na X X.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by etienn: 10:07pm On Feb 01, 2017
AM STILL WAITING FOR MY MOTHER INLAW TO COMMENT 1ST...AM STILL WAITING FOR HER TO FINISH COOKING...
Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by vickvilles(m): 10:08pm On Feb 01, 2017
Dis should even be d first criteria before any marriage... Some Nigerians underestimate these series of test.. Know your blood group Nigerians
D poster above me though... Wetin concern Ur mother inlaw??

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by laurel03(m): 10:09pm On Feb 01, 2017
please know your haemoglobin b4 u fall in love.... ss is not a easy thing.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Young03(m): 10:10pm On Feb 01, 2017
I was glad i had to read the message
let me ask my Gf her status asap
no dulling

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by MidasTouche01(m): 10:11pm On Feb 01, 2017
What about AC genotype?
Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Nobody: 10:11pm On Feb 01, 2017
Team AA! But wait oo, i have not heard of SC before.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Young03(m): 10:11pm On Feb 01, 2017
zuby4real10:
my own na X X.
chromosomes found in female
Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by harheesha(f): 10:12pm On Feb 01, 2017
So ss patients are nightmares. You don.t help to give these people confidence. You make it sound as a plaque to other people

7 Likes

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by VickyRotex(f): 10:12pm On Feb 01, 2017
nbright:
Everybody for my house na AA kiss kiss kiss kiss

Moi Aussi! cheesy

Op, Nice One! It's very important!
Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Nobody: 10:12pm On Feb 01, 2017
donmayorgroup:

A lot of Medical doctors and marriage counselors advise that couples who are about to get married should go for specific medical tests before tying the knot.
While this is very important, many couples don't heed this advice for fear of probably incompatible results, especially as regards their haemoglobin genotype, emerging to become a reason for not getting married after such a long and deep emotional investment into each other (it can be very heart-breaking and some people might go into depression that would require psychiatric care if they're compelled to cut off the relationship and marriage after such a long time of planning about their future together).

Instead of waiting till you meet that special half with whom you will spend your lifetime before realizing the importance of such specific medical tests, why not go for these medical tests now that you're probably single or have not met that special someone yet?

Whether you're a man or woman, you should undergo a haemoglobin genotype test now before you meet your lifetime partner when it might either be too late or the outcome of your incompatibility could drive you into a mental breakdown.

There are several disease variants of the haemoglobin gene, but the commonest ones are haemoglobin S and C. The normal haemoglobin gene present in adult humans is A which exist as AA.

However, some people have the A and S pairing as AS; some have the S and another S pairing as SS which is known as sickle cell disease; and a few people have S and C pairing to form SC which is also as bad as SS.

If your haemoglobin genotype test comes out as AS, SS or SC, it means you can give birth to a child with SS if you marry someone who is AS or SS. For instance, if a man with AS marries a woman with AS, one in every 4 children they have will be SS. But that's probability in theory. In reality that one child could be the first child; and that one child in every 4 children could manifest as 4 children in every 16 children, meaning the first 4 children can be SS and the couple has to give birth to more than 10 children to stand a chance of having a child who is either AA or AS!

Thats huge!!

Taking care of a child who is SS can be a nightmare especially for couples who don't have the financial capacity; and even for those with the financial resources, the child may still die from a crisis or complication that can occur when nobody expects it. Hence, knowing your haemoglobin genotype before entering a relationship that could lead to marriage will enable you talk about it with your partner, and if you're incompatible, the possibility of marriage can easily be ruled out at this early stage of the relationship, unlike when you're getting to know your haemoglobin genotype after proposal and the wedding is a few weeks away!

I knew it would be another crappy write up with little knowledge of genetics

9 Likes

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Nobody: 10:12pm On Feb 01, 2017
miqos03:
true talk. am AA

And ur moniker sounds like mosquito grin

12 Likes

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by bunlizlaw(f): 10:13pm On Feb 01, 2017
Luckily, everyone in my house is AA.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by vengertime: 10:14pm On Feb 01, 2017
Ladies be like, if I hear. With dis scarcity of husband in Nigeria?

5 Likes

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by Nobody: 10:15pm On Feb 01, 2017
donmayorgroup:

Thats huge!!

Kai I remember my former neighbour with 3 kids and all were SS. They all died b4 age 10 in a space of 3yrs.
The wife pick race and the man later remarried an AA. It's very important to check ur genotype to avoid story that touch.

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Know Your Genotype Before Considering Getting Married by nkemdi89(f): 10:15pm On Feb 01, 2017
Paulpaulpaul:
But you can control it, avoid mosquito, always use mosquito treated net, I was like that until I cultivated the habit of taking preventive measures. We are born to assist other genotypes. I have three friends to ss.

5 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dairies Sanitary Pad Kills - Ladies Beware / Five Health Warning Signs From Your Feet To Never Ignore / CACOVID Orders 400,000 Test-Kits, Plans To Feed 1.7m Households

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.