Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,954 members, 7,828,357 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning (7106 Views)

Animals Names In Yoruba And Their English Meaning / Please Help Translate These Songs Into English (gift Included). / Popular Traditional Names In Yoruba, Hausa And Igbo With Their English Meaning (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by Crownadex(m): 3:31pm On Feb 02, 2017
If you can translate these grammar into English meaning then you can proud of your self as a real Yoruba tribe ..... let's check it out
1. Kannakanna
2. Arakangudu
3.Gudugudu
4. Gudugbe
5. Gbegede

you can add yours

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by RotgakSlay(m): 3:33pm On Feb 02, 2017
hmmmm....... dats no 3 .
dats wots dy use in north wen gbege hapun.
it means RUN RUN grin grin
Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by BLACKCHARGER(m): 3:56pm On Feb 02, 2017
Chai.. I seriously need to learn this yoruba
Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by scholes0(m): 6:19am On Feb 03, 2017
Crownadex:
If you can translate these grammar into English meaning then you can proud of your self as a real Yoruba tribe ..... let's check it out
1. Kannakanna
2. Arakangudu
3.Gudugudu
4. Gudugbe
5. Gbegede

you can add yours

Gudugudu: Kettle drum
Gudugbe: Wrestling
Kannakana: Catapult/sling?
Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by scholes0(m): 6:20am On Feb 03, 2017
Who knows the English word for Lekeleke?
Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by absoluteSuccess: 6:23am On Feb 03, 2017
scholes0:

Egret.

2 Likes

Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by RedboneSmith(m): 6:23am On Feb 03, 2017
scholes0:

Cattle egret.

2 Likes

Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by scholes0(m): 6:26am On Feb 03, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Egret.

Yeah, Cattle Egret.
How about The English words for:

Ogusho
Adogan
Akudaaya
Adiro
Garawa
Adin
Iwofa

cheesy
Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by absoluteSuccess: 6:49am On Feb 03, 2017
scholes0:

Yeah, Cattle Egret.
How about The English words for:

Ogusho
Adogan
Akudaaya
Garawa
Adin
Iwofa

cheesy

Lolz old pal let me try...

Ogusho: burner (made from residue of palm oil, dried on the wall as paste and used for fuel when dried).

Adogan: native grill, made of iron ware, different from Adiro, made of three stones or brick.

Akudaaya; ghost, zombie. Person wey don die but con dey stay for another town

Garawa: Pail 20 litres iron ware bucket

Adin: palm kernel oil, extracted manually by burning palm kernel in earthenware pot.

Iwofa: servant.

Over to you master.

2 Likes

Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by Crownadex(m): 10:23am On Feb 03, 2017
scholes0:

Gudugudu: Kettle drum Gudugbe: Wrestling Kannakana: Catapult/sling?
I thought wrestling is ijakadi
Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by scholes0(m): 11:14am On Feb 03, 2017
Crownadex:
I thought wrestling is ijakadi

No, Ijakadi is Combat.
Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by scholes0(m): 11:14am On Feb 03, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

Lolz old pal let me try...

Ogusho: burner (made from residue of palm oil, dried on the wall as paste and used for fuel when dried).

Adogan: native grill, made of iron ware, different from Adiro, made of three stones or brick.

Garawa: Pail 20 litres iron ware bucket

Adin: palm kernel oil, extracted manually by burning palm kernel in earthenware pot.

Iwofa: servant.

Over to you master.

lol, but you are only explaining what they mean in long phrases and sentences.
I was asking for the English words for them... lol
Only Iwofa was given a word answer, and Iwofa isn't just a servant.
Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by Rilwayne001: 12:06pm On Feb 03, 2017
absoluteSuccess:

I suppose "incarnate" fits in better, no?

1 Like

Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by tintingz(m): 1:42pm On Feb 03, 2017
Rilwayne001:

Yes, Or Reincarnate.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by absoluteSuccess: 2:09pm On Feb 03, 2017
Rilwayne001:

No o,

Reincarnates is babatunde or Yetunde.

Akudaya is already dead man living in another place as a living man, sometimes later married with kids.

Babatunde or reincarnation is when a man or a child resembles one of the recently or long dead ancestors.

Akudaaya is when a middle-age man dies and people come back with the tale that they saw the same dead man in another place continuing his or her life.

We don't know how these living though dead often get the body they livve in.
Re: Some Yoruba Grammars That Is Hard To Translate into English meaning by Crownadex(m): 2:46pm On Feb 03, 2017
scholes0:

No, Ijakadi is Combat.
Ok .... what of if yoruba say ( Gudugbe a ja loni ) means heavily thing will drop today ) what about that 1

(1) (Reply)

Is Black Really Beautiful? / The Marvelous And Beautiful Cultures Of Ghana Aka Kente Land / Uniben 2016/2017 Cut Off Marks For All Courses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.