Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,213 members, 7,836,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation (1471 Views)

Buhari Writes Senate For Confirmation Of 10 CCB Nominees / We Can Re-present Magu For Confirmation - Osinbajo / Senate Invites Prof. Itse Sagay Over His Comment On Delayed Screening Of RECs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by AnotherZik: 6:12pm On Feb 02, 2017
SAN FRANCISCO, February 02, (THEWILL) – The Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen, on Thursday pleaded with Nigerians not to pressure President Muhammadu Buhari into making him the substantive CJN, stating that “the president does not need any threat or ultimatum to perform his constitutional duties”.

Several lawyers, activists and other Nigerians have criticised Buhari for not submitting Onnoghen’s name to Senate for confirmation as the Chief Justice of Nigeria almost three months since he was appointed in acting capacity following the National Judicial Council’s recommendation of Onnoghen to the President to be made the CJN.

But the Acting CJN, in a statement by his media aide, Awassam Bassey, called on “Nigerians to allow Mr. President, Muhammadu Buhari, GCFR, a free hand to perform his constitutional duties concerning the appointment of a substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria”.

According to the statement, “Honourable Justice Onnoghen believes the president does not need any threat or ultimatum to perform his constitutional duties and therefore dissociates himself from those individuals and groups making such demands on the president.

“However, the Acting Chief Justice of Nigeria and the Nigerian Judiciary sincerely appreciate the interest of Nigerians towards the appointment of a substantive Chief Justice of Nigeria to oversee the affairs of the Judiciary as the third arm of government, but believes that issuing an ultimatum to Mr. President appears to be going too far and smacks of disrespect for the exalted office of the president.

“The Acting Chief Justice therefore appeals for caution on the issue of the appointment of Chief Justice of Nigeria as Mr President goes about his constitutional duties, especially considering the fact that the given time for him to act as Chief Justice of Nigeria has not expired.

“In conclusion, the Acting Chief Justice wishes to thank all Nigerians for their support and continued prayers while calling on them to back the Federal Government in the fight to make the country a better place for all.”

http://thewillnigeria.com/news/nigerias-acting-chief-justice-onnoghen-speaks-on-delayed-submission-of-his-name-for-confirmation/

1 Like

Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by yemmybx(m): 6:16pm On Feb 02, 2017
stay there
Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by hucienda: 6:19pm On Feb 02, 2017
Justice Onnoghen.

The eyes of the world are on this suspicious delay by the country's president.

Worry not. Stay the course.

1 Like

Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by vatiqan(m): 6:20pm On Feb 02, 2017
You see why our problems no go finish for the entrapment called Nizeria?

1 Like

Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by Fedayeen02: 6:22pm On Feb 02, 2017
If you no push malu e no go go

Buhari needs push

1 Like

Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by sarrki(m): 6:23pm On Feb 02, 2017
vatiqan:
You see why our problems no go finish for the entrapment called Nizeria?

Always allow your system to do auto reboot

Please next time don't force it
Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by maryjan8(f): 6:24pm On Feb 02, 2017
Ok
Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by owobokiri(m): 6:28pm On Feb 02, 2017
Na this very appointment go undo buhari.. If he is really delaying this mans appointment in order to forward the name of a fellow northerner, it might prove too much politicking for his presidency..
Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by sarrki(m): 6:33pm On Feb 02, 2017
Fedayeen02:
If you no push malu e no go go

Buhari needs push

Onnoghen’s role as Acting Chief Justice will lapse on the 10th of February.

There is still enough time to confirm him

We add religious and ethnic coloration to everything that's why we are yet to move forward as a nation
Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by vatiqan(m): 6:35pm On Feb 02, 2017
sarrki:

Always allow your system to do auto reboot

Please next time don't force it

Eyhaa! Havn't seen you since morning. You now avoid commenting on virtually all threads. I feel your frustrations. But I was told earlier that your predeccessors who were more sophisticated had since downed tools and history has it that you are just trying to crave a nitch for yourself. The peanut Lie Mohamed is giving you, can it in anyway, cater for your whole family? Poor you. Ode!

4 Likes

Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by Fedayeen02: 6:37pm On Feb 02, 2017
sarrki:

We add religious and ethnic coloration to everything that's why we are yet to move forward as a nation
Will buhari be back fom his sick bed to forward his name?
Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by Nobody: 6:38pm On Feb 02, 2017
Fedayeen02:
Will buhari be back fom his sick bed to forward his name?
Ask Femi Adesina.
Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by sarrki(m): 6:39pm On Feb 02, 2017
vatiqan:

Eyhaa! Havn't seen you since morning. You now avoid commenting on virtually all threads. I feel your frustrations. But I was told earlier that your predeccessors who were more sophisticated had since downed tools and history has it that you are just trying to crave a nitch for yourself. The peanut Lie Mohamed is giving you, can it in anyway, cater for your whole family? Poor you. Ode!

Must you use gutter language

Propaganda is in wailers blood

If the progressives are complaining I agree

But you guys hates buhari cause of Gej and religion

So coming to rant online is not it what is your state governor doing ?
Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by vatiqan(m): 6:48pm On Feb 02, 2017
sarrki:

Must you use gutter language

Propaganda is in wailers blood

If the progressives are complaining I agree

But you guys hates buhari cause of Gej and religion

So coming to rant online is not it what is your state governor doing ?

I dnt buy that crap. To start with, I am not a politician, not yet. I dnt carry any party's card. I am not GEJ's fan. I never campaigned for him, neither did I vote him. Nonetheless, I knew your dullard was worse. As for my governor, I am not his fan but he is far far better than yours. His policies, have faces, not the aso rock dumbie that doesnt know why he is there, after two years.

1 Like

Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by NgeneUkwenu(f): 7:01pm On Feb 02, 2017
[s]
vatiqan:

I dnt buy that crap. To start with, I am not a politician, not yet. I dnt carry any party's card. I am not GEJ's fan. I never campaigned for him, neither did I vote him. Nonetheless, I knew your dullard was worse. As for my governor, I am not his fan but he is far far better than yours. His policies, have faces, not the aso rock dumbie that doesnt know why he is there, after two years.
[/s]

Liar!

Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by vatiqan(m): 7:20pm On Feb 02, 2017
NgeneUkwenu:
[s][/s]

Liar!

tou why? GEJ's reign had no impact in my state. I play politics concienciously. APC's form is in my house. I was offered a position in my ward, but for the fact that I dnt believe in their ideology, I refused.

My house is about 6 houses away from a prominent chieftain of APC, Suleimon Offiong; APC's National Vice Chairman, South South, Hilliard Etta, worships in my church. So, boo, one thing my father taught me, was to be disciplined in life. APC has no ideology!

1 Like

Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by agabaI23(m): 7:34pm On Feb 02, 2017
sarrki:

Very true. Enough time. I think the president wants to finish with the issue of Magu first. He has submitted his name twice. Our President is working.
Re: Justice Onnoghen Speaks On Delayed Submission Of His Name For Confirmation by ChiefWailer: 7:56pm On Feb 02, 2017
NgeneUkwenu:
[s][/s]

Liar!
educated....... is stealing synonymous with corruption?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption

http://www.google.com.ng/search?q=stealing&client=ms-opera-mini-android&channel=new&gws_rd=cr&ei=i4CTWNCqBYmza8PJtYgG.

Now tell me, between Jonathan and Buhari who is more corrupt?

Abuse of office by turning oneself into a dictator is the highest corruption

(1) (Reply)

How Dangote Duped Graduates Of Millions Through Scam Job A / Igbos Unity? Well Here Is What Will Put Critics To Shame / Pastor EA Adeboye Sits On The Ooni’s Stool At The Ooni Of Ife’s Palace (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.