Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,815 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? (29248 Views)

Man's Car Burgled Within 12 Minutes Of Using An ATM In Abuja / South Africans Torture An ATM Cards Scammer / Prostitutes Create Scene After Being Duped At Ijebu Ode, Ogun State (2) (3) (4)

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Atk1nson(m): 1:28pm On Feb 04, 2017
Bishops10:
Hello NL family,please is there any possibility of getting back my money?
here is my story.

On Tues 31-1-2017,I gave my Sister my ATM card to make a withdrawal for me at one of the banks in my area about an hour later,I started getting debit alerts above the supposed amount she was to withdraw.
I started calling her line but it wasn't available, I had to rush down to the bank to know what's happening and on getting there,my sis started narrating how she tried withdrawing and the ATM couldn't pay her
And someone behind her told her the ATM isn't dispensing cash that she should cancel it and bring out the card.They guy brought out the card himself and slot it back(Unknowingly to my sis,he slot in another card that is not mine) and immediately left.So she tried entering my pin again but it was saying incorrect pin and the ATM swallowed the card.
*It was at this point that my sis got confused and started calling me by then I've already started receiving alerts.
*Aside withdrawals,the culprit paid for some goods through POS(details in the picture attached)
*yesterday I went to collect the CCTV footage from The bank and the guy smartly covered his face(picture attached (

Please guys I seriously need this money back,is there another way to go about it since his face isn't showing,Bankers in the house help me out please.

Mynd44

Seun

Lalasticlala

get the details on the card seize at the ATM. with the card details, the issuing bank should be able to spool out the details of the owner. hopefully, it will be the culprit or someone who knows him

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by sehin79(m): 1:30pm On Feb 04, 2017
i think another thing that should be done to prevent it again is opening a saving account under your current account so you just move your immediate cash from the saving to the current account when the need arises.
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Feb 04, 2017
Never never give ur card to a random stranger if u need help call d security....
Y not try going to where he used during card 4 d pos transaction

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Nobody: 1:31pm On Feb 04, 2017
yosmen:
sorry bro but how did he get your ATM pin.?

Am curious about this too
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 1:31pm On Feb 04, 2017
Bishops10:

Hmmm......I called The bank and the card was blocked

My friend is advising me to go look for Alfaa to consult on the matter
...Alfa na detective? They will only collect from you again

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Mrbllymer: 1:33pm On Feb 04, 2017
Bishops10:

the last transaction should be traceable, go to the bank and explain to them to trace who owns the last account transferred to

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by princejury(m): 1:33pm On Feb 04, 2017
Sorry for ur loss.. But all u have to do is to report to the bank let them investigate on the stucked atm card inside their machine.. At least from there they can get the details of the person...
Hope u get back ur money..
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Swissheart(f): 1:33pm On Feb 04, 2017
Nawa o
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by MMMscam: 1:34pm On Feb 04, 2017
Mr man there's no need for panic, you already have what you need to apprehend the thief. Since this thief did ecommerce with your card, all you need is to trace the seller he paid for the goods and get the name and delivery address for the contact the goods will be delivered to. That's how to catch the thief. End of story.

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by drimlifestudios: 1:34pm On Feb 04, 2017
After the guy swapped the card, he went to put it into another ATM machine to withdraw the money; how did he get the password? Ask your sister. Please follow up on this, let's see how he got the password. I'm feeling your pain.

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Olaleyeabdullah(m): 1:34pm On Feb 04, 2017
If u can locate where he paid using POS you may be lucky dey have CCTV there too
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by suco01(m): 1:36pm On Feb 04, 2017
Bishops10:

Alfa ko pastor ni. ur ignorance has paid u dearly. y wud u giv ur sister ATM card to help u withdraw wen u can actually go there ursef.... make i no lie giv u @ dis jet age u still bhave childish...

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by kenmaro: 1:37pm On Feb 04, 2017
So sorry about your predicament. I will advise that the card he left behind be investigated and the owner of that card be invited and also to check the photo of that card holder against the cctv footage of the scene where the fraud happened. If the card holder is seen in the cctv footage, then he is the criminal but if not seen he should explain how his card got their and also his photo be compared to the cctv image of face covered criminal at the withdrawal atm point. Involve the police if the bank refuses to release & investigate the stuck atm card.
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Reference(m): 1:37pm On Feb 04, 2017
Bamgboseomotoyo:
Am so sorry about this...u should even thank God it wasn't more than 100k, I had issues like that..my uncle went to withdraw 300k from the bank and robbers followed him and collected the money....nothing could be done cos if my uncle used my way I suspected the cashier that attended to him...most fraudsters in Nig go scot-free....I know how u r feeling and that this aren't things u wanna hear but how u could get ur money back, just forget about it

300k for what. Who or what is he risking his life for. Whoever claims to do business and cannot manage online transactions should not be in business. Can't waste my time or risk my life for such a person or system.
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by sleekman(m): 1:37pm On Feb 04, 2017
Bishops10:

The card has since been blocked.....
The bank where the card got stuck said they can't give me the card though I don't need it,by Monday I will go to the back and tell them to investigate the card and probably tell them to give me the CCTV footage of the time he was behind my sis (That's if its possible)
bro I'm just confused
every POS is registered to someone. It could be a POS or a mPOS so what I'll advice u 2 do is get the address of d POS owner. Go there with police men in mufty to inquire if they have CCTV. If they do ure in luck. Its also possible that the POS owner knows the buyer.

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by cybriz82(m): 1:38pm On Feb 04, 2017
how did he get the pin number?
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Feb 04, 2017
Bros your sister fall hand no be small me that when I want to use bank ATM I cross road and use just for safety and security and I no even get
Money reach your own

These are times to be wise
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Nobody: 1:40pm On Feb 04, 2017
I wonder why the mods are not blacklisting thieves like this. This one is fooling fools to buy recharge card and type the pin so that his site can unmask the asterisk and he will use it.
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by bazzyblings: 1:42pm On Feb 04, 2017
He used the money for mmm

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by alagba333(m): 1:42pm On Feb 04, 2017
Pple learn in two ways....by examples and by experience....it is beta to learn by examples....
Sorry bros... Lesson learnt

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by izzvic(m): 1:47pm On Feb 04, 2017
papshaun:
The last transfer could be the guys account , note that the bulk of the money went there. The police or the bank should be able to help in that regard.
. Take this advice... your bank should be able to trace the thief from this.
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by anitank(f): 1:50pm On Feb 04, 2017
cybriz82:
how did he get the pin number?
pcguru1:

Am curious about this too

I'm guessing when he put in the wrong ATM card, he made the girl punch in the pin while he was standing beside her pretending to help her. Must have memorized it before he left

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by aieromon(m): 1:50pm On Feb 04, 2017
How did the guy get the PIN?

Your sister has so many questions to answer....
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by fkj950ax(m): 1:58pm On Feb 04, 2017
Dear Op,
This is unfortunate, but the bank can't replace your funds.

Until the Federal Government allows law enforcement agents to run suspects and criminals through CBN BVN database, we won't catch people like him.

Search the database with CCTV images or SIM Card Registration or INEC databases.

We'd have his name, address, next of kin, bank details, and email in 2 hours.

I don't know why the IGP or NASS hasn't been fighting to make this happen
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by gurunlocker: 1:58pm On Feb 04, 2017
Boss, you said the guy slot an ATM card inside the machine that was blocked? is it possible for you to trace that card through the help of the bank and probably nab him via the card details?
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by 0000000: 2:06pm On Feb 04, 2017
Sorry about your loss....especially in this hard times.
An important lesson here is that you should NEVER give your card to another person. One of the terms of use is that it may only be used by an authorised signatory to the attached account.
Having breached that by giving your sister the card to use, you still have hope of at least tracing the crook (even if you do not eventually get a refund) Plead with the Bank to give you details of the swapped card...its a good point to start from.

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Abagworo(m): 2:06pm On Feb 04, 2017
That last payment over POS is a good starting point for detectives.

Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Csami(m): 2:07pm On Feb 04, 2017
Your sis ain't smart. Why did she divulge your pin to a total stranger?
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Abagworo(m): 2:08pm On Feb 04, 2017
The card he swapped with your sister might even be his card making this extremely easy for you.
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by Maj196(m): 2:13pm On Feb 04, 2017
Never trust anyone u c at d ATM especially not dis period in Nigeria. Just secure ur card do ur transaction and gerrara der. Kappish
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by chocorex(m): 2:15pm On Feb 04, 2017
How did he know your password? Did your sister tell him too? Then she's a learner..the best u can do is go to Ur bank and ask ask for your last account activities. Try and see if he transferred to his account . if he did u can get his account number and details.
Re: My Sister Got Duped At An ATM Point, Can I Get My Money Back? by 2shur: 2:17pm On Feb 04, 2017
if ypur sisyer make sense.
send me your acct nos.
make i wire u 50k.
bih yur sista gas fine o

Burial Poster Of Odudu Davis, Policeman Shot Dead By A Naval Officer In Calabar / How a 54year- old Okada Rider Raped Pry Sch Girl in Ondo state (Pictured) / Clearing Agent Arrested For Diverting Client’s 2 Containers, SUV (photo)