Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,549 members, 7,837,102 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:54 PM

If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? (615 Views)

Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? / 100 Days From Today: What Nigerians Expect From Buhari / Osun Poll Today, What Is Happening In Your Area? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by Depilot(m): 5:10pm On Dec 03, 2009
I honestly believe that now is the time for everyone of us to start looking at the future of this country.
If Mr. President happens to step aside today, what is going to happen? Who is going to be the president and who is going to be the VP?

It was also on the news this morning that Obama's administration is looking at this situation very closely.
We need to be more proactive and handle our business.
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by Depilot(m): 6:38pm On Dec 03, 2009
My suggestion:
Goodluck should replace Yaradua, while David Mark takes over the VP position for the rest of this term.
Now, In 2011 the Presidency rotation should then be readjusted; the northerners should be allowed to rule for a brand new 8 years.
Disclaimer: From 2011 on, the President and the VP must be from the same region.

Anything less will be deadly and will bring Nigeria down to her knees for a very long time.
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by cre8tivity(f): 2:01pm On Dec 04, 2009
not a bad idea.
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by cre8tivity(f): 2:05pm On Dec 04, 2009
US worried over Yar’Adua’s health - We’re waiting for doctor’s report - FG - Govs meet over president’s health; Consult VP today - AC blasts FEC, says it is unprincipled
From Taiwo Adisa, Lanre Adewole and Adewale Ajayi - 04.12.2009

THE concern over the health of President Umaru Yar’Adua is fast spreading beyond the shores of Nigeria, as the United States is said to be worried about the president.

According to information reaching the Nigerian Tribune, the United States is particularly bothered about the likely implications the Yar’Adua’s health would have on Nigeria’s fledgling democracy, especially against the current controversies over who should succeed him in the event of his resignation.

The Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekwe-remadu, who confirmed the fears of the United States to newsmen in Abuja, said the US congressmen pointedly told him of their concern over the health of President Yar’Adua.

Ekweremadu just returned to the country after a trip to the United States of America, where his Committee on Constitution Review met with the US Congress Committee on Foreign Relations
http://www.tribune.com.ng/04122009/news/news1.html
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by cre8tivity(f): 2:07pm On Dec 04, 2009
Don’t disrupt zoning system - North warns - We stand by constitution - N/Assembly - Watch your comments on Yar’Adua, Atiku cautions politicians
By Leon Usigbe, Abuja - 04.12.2009

AGAINST the growing calls for ailing President Umaru Yar’Adua to resign to pave the way for the assumption of the presidency by Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan, the Northern Union has cautioned over any attempt to disrupt the North-South zoning system which, it observed, was meant to address the political peculiarities of the country and maintain its stability.

It has also condemned calls for President Yar’Adua to resign as a result of his ill health, pointing out that though it shared the concern for efficient, effective and good governance, such calls were not only hasty, but inimical to the peace, unity and continued stability of the country.

According to a statement issued in Abuja on Thursday, which was signed by its chairman, Chief Patrick Adaba, the group restated its belief in constitutionalism, but observed that “certain peculiarities of any nation also play a vital role in bringing about amity and peaceful coexistence among the peoples of that nation.”

It said that, “it should be understood by those who love this country that one of such peculiarities upon which the unity and stability of our country are hinged is power rotation between the North and South. This is an extra-constitutional arrangement to deal with Nigeria’s peculiarities of pluralism, a practice not peculiar to Nigeria
http://www.tribune.com.ng/04122009/news/news2.html
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by cre8tivity(f): 2:11pm On Dec 04, 2009
it is simple to tell that the northerners are ready to fight to the end. and as per our Constitution, you can not blame them.
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by superboi(m): 2:16pm On Dec 04, 2009
The north should succed nigeria and see if anyone would miss them? Yeye old people.
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by sjeezy8: 3:56pm On Dec 04, 2009
I dont blame the north to be honest this whole Zoning will stop immediately after yaraduas term or after the SE zones term. If anyone thinks the NW or North will wait another 50 something years for a president from their region to surface, that person is an idiot.

I have said it time and time again, they will realize that a free and fair election benefits them than this rotation/zoning trash. In an honest election from the North Atiku, Buhari, or even Ribadu WOULD WIN. Those Northeners in current PDP are either short sighted or just playin this fake PDP nonsense, they will soon break off after yaraduas term to form an opposition party or even align themselves with AC as ANPP(Buhari's party) did.
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by opuro(m): 4:19pm On Dec 04, 2009
q: if yaradua step down today, what do you think will happen
ans: another man will take over, and naija will surelly move forward cool
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by Depilot(m): 5:47pm On Dec 04, 2009
dont blame the north to be honest this whole Zoning will stop immediately after yaraduas term or after the SE zones term

I have no choice but to agree with you. I have stated it over and over that presidency rotation system (zoning) in Nigeria is nothing but a hopeless system.
It creates nothing but confusion and at the end of the day, the most qualified candidate is skipped for the job.

I hope FG is preparing a sensible method to replace Yaradua if he steps down. Or else there will be fire between the Delta connection and the Hausa boys.
It will be deadly and messy.
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by Gekko(m): 6:06pm On Dec 04, 2009
What else is going to be happen? PdP is doing to field another wastebag who is simply going to update/downgrade the system. Lord knows we need a clean wipe and a complete re-install of all applications, users, home directories etc. u get my drift
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 04, 2009
If yaradua resigns,goodluck becomes president.,a northern vp is taken, By 2011,goodluck steps down for the vp who later becomes president to complete yaradua 2nd tenure,
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by jimmysho(m): 6:20pm On Dec 04, 2009
nigeria cannot be thrown into confusion as anticipated by some rather Gooluck will take over and dismantle the yaradua political structure and put his own in strategic positions and seek a fresh term
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by jimmysho(m): 6:22pm On Dec 04, 2009
i do not see goodluck stepping down. the gentle arrangement of pdp zoning system will rather fizzle away
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by Depilot(m): 6:31pm On Dec 04, 2009
If yaradua resigns,goodluck becomes president.,a northern vp is taken, By 2011,goodluck steps down for the vp who later becomes president to complete yaradua 2nd tenure,

Point.
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by Depilot(m): 6:37pm On Dec 04, 2009
If Yaradua Steps Down Today, Goodluck will not be forced to step down, but he will play by the rules of the big dogs for the rest of this term. fyi: Goodluck is a smart and very simple man. He completely understands the game of politics.

I also agree that his VP will be an Hausa man, who has the stamina to compete and win the presidential election in 2011.

I wonder who this man will be
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by jimmysho(m): 6:45pm On Dec 04, 2009
Depilot:

I also agree that his VP will be an Hausa man, who has the stamina to compete and win the presidential election in 2011.

I wonder who this man will be
it doesnt work that way. my categorical statement if fact is that goodluck will struggle with them because he has reached the peak of his career politically. more the larger mercenaries of the pdp is in the south
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by sjeezy8: 6:53pm On Dec 04, 2009
What ever happens the greater outcome will be NO geo political zoning presidencys any more. Point blank
Re: If Yaradua Steps Down Today, What Do You Think Will Happen? by jimmysho(m): 6:54pm On Dec 04, 2009
with present happenings. zoning is as good as dead

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why Yaradua Can Not Rule Nigeria From Saudi Arabia / Court Frees Ibori! What A Country? / Thugs Beat Protesting Health Workers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.