Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,211 members, 7,825,792 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:32 PM

Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? (30853 Views)

The Unforgotten Yoruba Adekunle Fajuyi, Assassinated 50years Ago Today! / 100 Days From Today: What Nigerians Expect From Buhari / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Omoalhaja7: 6:54am On Jun 08, 2015

Sani Abacha,  (born September 20, 1943, Kano, Nigeria—died June 8, 1998, Abuja), Nigerian military leader, who served as head of state (1993–98).

Abacha received his formal military training at Nigerian and British military training colleges. He rose through the ranks in the Nigerian military and by 1983 had achieved the rank of brigadier when he assisted Ibrahim Babangida in overthrowing Shehu Shagari, who had been elected to his second presidential term in 1983. Muhammad Buhari became Nigeria’s leader, but just two years later Babangida overthrew Buhari and installed himself as leader with Abacha second in command. Elections were held in 1993 and were won by Moshood Abiola, a candidate supposedly supported by Babangida, who, however, annulled the elections and set up a civilian interim government, which Abacha quickly overthrew.

Although Abacha promised a return to democracy, his actions were anything but democratic. He banned political activity of any kind, fired a large portion of the military, controlled the press, and assembled a personal security force of some 3,000 men. While he supported the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) and its military arm, ECOWAS Monitoring Group (ECOMOG), in sending troops to restore democracy in Liberia and Sierra Leone, he brutally suppressed dissent at home. Abiola and Olusegun Obasanjo, a former military leader of Nigeria (1976–79), were jailed for treason. Wole Soyinka, Nigeria’s Nobel laureate, was also charged with treason, although he had voluntarily left the country. Perhaps Abacha’s most brutal act was the imprisonment, trial, and subsequent execution for treason of writer Ken Saro-Wiwa and other Ogoni activists who were concerned with the environmental exploitation of their region by multinational petroleum companies.

Abacha’s sudden death in June 1998 moved along the process of returning the country to civilian rule. His military successor, Abdusalam Abubakar, oversaw the return to an elected civilian government in 1999. After Abacha’s death, it was rumoured that he and his family had enriched themselves by some $3 billion, most of it held in European banks. In 2002 a settlement, which returned most of the money to the government in exchange for dropping criminal prosecution, was reached between the Obasanjo government and the Abacha family.

So, my fellow NL'ders, what do you remember him for?

3 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by lokito: 6:57am On Jun 08, 2015
Tyranny and very very very many embezzlement.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Chiscomax(m): 6:57am On Jun 08, 2015
i remember him as a man who ate an apple given to him by an indian prostitute and died. #Careless Aristotle!.

But sha, apple don dey do great things since time immemorial;
1)Apple made Adam realize he was adamatical. who gave him the apple? (A lady,Eve)
2)Isaac Newton postulated the law of motion after apple fell on his head. who plantes the apple tree? i guess a lady also
3)the mighty man of terror fell in the year 1998, Sani Abacha. What killed him? Apple from an indian B!TCH.

shout out to all Barcelona fans in the house!

66 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Shiifi(m): 6:58am On Jun 08, 2015
hmmm mak i no lie incase dis make fp because i never wise den , bt my dad say d man wicked die na only thing d tell me abt am b dat ooo.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by softnipples(f): 6:59am On Jun 08, 2015
I heard he was an expert in human right violation.
One of his aids(almustapha) didn't also help matters.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by KoredeBellosMum(f): 6:59am On Jun 08, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by agarawu23(m): 7:00am On Jun 08, 2015
he ate the forbidden fruit embarassed

5 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by activefibre1(m): 7:00am On Jun 08, 2015
serious lack of electric power supply. Nepa went to sleep during his time. We didnt even have light to hear the breakin news of his death.

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by malbro(m): 7:00am On Jun 08, 2015
ABACHA IS NOT CORRUPT... grin grin cheesy

20 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Sylverbox(m): 7:00am On Jun 08, 2015
His dark sun shades! An Enigmatic ruler I must say.

10 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by azpekuliar: 7:00am On Jun 08, 2015
Those big dark googles!

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by wiringdpt(m): 7:00am On Jun 08, 2015
World champion of embezzlement

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Lero15(m): 7:01am On Jun 08, 2015
Terror

3 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 7:01am On Jun 08, 2015
Apple!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Bifwoli: 7:01am On Jun 08, 2015
I remember him for the heartless despot he was and his unrivaled greed at taxpayer expense.

He's not missed at all.

3 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by adonismuller(m): 7:01am On Jun 08, 2015
Womanizer

Brother to Buhari.......(Don't ask me how)

8 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by baski92(m): 7:01am On Jun 08, 2015
Sai BABA
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by echobee(f): 7:01am On Jun 08, 2015
H e a r tless

3 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by misterchris(m): 7:01am On Jun 08, 2015
Eating apple

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by superior1: 7:01am On Jun 08, 2015
Women are powerful, Indian women with apples are dangerous.

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by ITbomb(m): 7:01am On Jun 08, 2015
The Apple

2 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by datbay(m): 7:01am On Jun 08, 2015
Political assassinations,reckless rule and worst of all he helped to give rise to the corruption his boss babaginda started...May his soul continually ....

3 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 7:02am On Jun 08, 2015
I will remember him for his no nonsense..... Oops and his vice Al Mustafa cool
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by jck1976(m): 7:02am On Jun 08, 2015
malbro:
ABACHA IS NOT CORRUPT... grin grin cheesy

He is not but was.

18 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Helkayklassic(m): 7:02am On Jun 08, 2015
One of those that turn Nigeria to how it is today.....Abacha bachabacha...Rest in anywhere you are, be it Hell or Paradise.

3 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by 15thMonica: 7:02am On Jun 08, 2015
I stopped eating Apple the moment I was told what killed him undecided but is good to know his "manhood" lives on grin

for manhood enlargement, see my signature.

5 Likes

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by nerodenero: 7:02am On Jun 08, 2015
He would have been another Idiamin.
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Nobody: 7:02am On Jun 08, 2015
His love for foreign kitten

1 Like

Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by Minet16(m): 7:02am On Jun 08, 2015
b
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by misterchris(m): 7:02am On Jun 08, 2015
Fucking International Prostitutes.
nothing
Re: Abacha Died 17years Ago Today...What Do You Remember Him For??? by tigonana: 7:02am On Jun 08, 2015
A no nonsense man,u talk about him bad,na death be dat.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Niger Delta Youths Supporting Buhari Are Not From Niger Delta? (Photo) / Saraki And Aisha Yesufu Blast Osinbajo Over Tradermoni / Governor Ajimobi With School Children In Ibadan (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.